- Glencore shares storm ahead on zinc cutback news Updated: Oct-09-15 12:17 pm
LONDON - Shares in commodities group Glencore rose strongly Friday after the company said it is slashing its zinc production by a third and cutting jobs in response to sharp fall in the price of the metal.
- Australia in talks to send refugees to the Philippines Updated: Oct-08-15 11:13 pm
SYDNEY - Australia is in talks to send refugees who try to reach its shores illegally to the Philippines, the immigration minister said Friday.
- Georgia holds on to beat Namibia 17-16 in RWC Pool C Updated: Oct-07-15 7:09 pm
EXETER, England - Georgia had a first-ever automatic slot in the 2019 Rugby World Cup within its grasp after holding on to beat Namibia 17-16 on Wednesday.
- Goodell, owners expect future vote on LA relocation Updated: Oct-07-15 7:08 pm
NEW YORK - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell expects owners will vote on franchise relocation to Los Angeles.
- South Africa tops Pool B, Habana ties Lomu's World Cup mark Updated: Oct-07-15 4:12 pm
LONDON - Bryan Habana equaled Jonah Lomu's record of 15 Rugby World Cup tries when he crossed for a hat trick that helped South Africa to a 64-0 win over the United States on Wednesday and secured top spot in Pool B.
- 4 arrested in connection with Sydney police worker's killing Updated: Oct-07-15 5:23 am
SYDNEY - Police arrested four people Wednesday in connection with the slaying of a civilian police worker in a Sydney suburb that officials have said they believe was linked to terrorism.
- Warne, Tendulkar to lead star-studded cricket tour of US Updated: Oct-06-15 10:45 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Cricket greats Shane Warne of Australia and Sachin Tendulkar of India will captain opposing teams of former star players in a three-match exhibition tour of the United States next month.
- LSU, Australian, Indonesian scientists find new shrew rat Updated: Oct-06-15 6:36 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A Louisiana State University scientist and international colleagues have discovered a new kind of shrew rat: a big-eared, long-snouted rodent with extra-long incisors jutting out from its lower jaw, and a flat, piggy nose.
- A-League looks to continue fan growth in its 11th season Updated: Oct-05-15 10:19 pm
SYDNEY - Australian football's A-League opens its 11th season Thursday hoping to continue surging audience growth while wrestling with player discontent and financial crises affecting some clubs.
- US, Chile declare new marine reserves, fight overfishing Updated: Oct-05-15 12:30 pm
VALPARAISO, Chile - President Barack Obama declared new marine sanctuaries in Lake Michigan and the tidal waters of Maryland on Monday, while Chile blocked off more than 200,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean near the world-famous Easter Island from commercial fishing and oil and gas exploration.
- Australia to deport Kansas-based anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-03-15 12:17 pm
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia amid concerns that he could incite violence.
- New Zealand beats Georgia 43-10, advances at Rugby World Cup Updated: Oct-02-15 6:06 pm
CARDIFF, Wales - New Zealand ran in seven tries, dispatched Georgia 43-10 for a third straight pool win, and became the first team to qualify for the quarterfinals of the Rugby World Cup.
- Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup Updated: Oct-02-15 3:49 pm
INCHEON, South Korea - Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup matches:
- Arizona's pregame haka coming to an end Updated: Oct-02-15 2:39 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Arizona's football players will no longer perform a pregame haka dance after a New Zealand expatriate in California started a petition to stop it.
- UK teen in Australia terror plot jailed for at least 5 years Updated: Oct-02-15 10:09 am
LONDON - A 15-year-old British boy was sentenced Friday to at least five years in custody for organizing a terrorist plot to kill police officers in Australia.
- 2 people die in shootings near Sydney police headquarters Updated: Oct-02-15 9:40 am
SYDNEY - A civilian employed by Australian police was fatally shot Friday outside the state police headquarters in western Sydney and his assailant was then killed, officials said.
- Australia to deport American anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-02-15 3:09 am
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia, after the nation's highest court ruled Friday that he posed a threat to public order amid concerns he could incite violence against women.
- Alternative Nobels honor human rights, global struggles Updated: Oct-01-15 6:14 am
HELSINKI - The foreign minister and the people of the Marshall Islands were honored Thursday for taking legal action against the nuclear powers for failing to honor disarmament obligations.
- Report describes how New Zealand killer escaped to Brazil Updated: Oct-01-15 6:12 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A convicted murderer and child molester was able to flee to Brazil while on temporary release from prison because staff didn't contact the man he was supposed to stay with and border officials didn't have a comprehensive system to identify criminals, according to a New Zealand government report released Thursday.
- Report: Miami charges against Bernard Tomic dropped Updated: Sep-30-15 11:39 pm
SYDNEY - Australian media has reported that prosecutors in Miami have dropped charges against tennis player Bernard Tomic.
- Double treat for Aussie sports fans: AFL, NRL grand finals Updated: Sep-30-15 10:00 pm
Sports fans Down Under have two major reasons to be looking forward to this weekend - the championship matches in both Australian rules football and the National Rugby League.
- East Timor primed for legal tussle with Australia Updated: Sep-30-15 8:31 pm
NEW YORK - Thirteen years after winning independence from Indonesia, East Timor has to wage another struggle for justice with a more powerful neighbor - but this time in the courts, the nation's prime minister says.
- Wife sobs at pretrial hearings in Vegas slaying of US airman Updated: Sep-30-15 5:29 pm
LAS VEGAS - A day after her former boyfriend took a plea deal to avoid the death penalty, the widow of a slain U.S. Air Force service member from Guam sobbed in court during a hearing about evidence to be presented at her own murder-conspiracy death penalty trial.
- Prime ministers from New Zealand, Curacao at Red Sox-Yankees Updated: Sep-29-15 10:21 pm
NEW YORK - Be it a president, king or emir, there's plenty that world leaders in town for the United Nations General Assembly can enjoy in their spare time.
- Officials want to protect Hawaii, Guam, N. Marianas species Updated: Sep-29-15 3:18 pm
HONOLULU - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants to add 49 species from Hawaii to the Endangered Species Act.