- Denmark's Thomas Sorensen joins Melbourne City Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former Aston Villa and Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has signed a two-year deal to play for Melbourne City in Australian football's A-League.
- Team New Zealand wins 2nd America's Cup World Series stop Updated: Aug-30-15 4:36 pm
GOTHENBURG, Sweden - Emirates Team New Zealand won the second America's Cup World Series stop of the year after finishing second and first in Sunday's races.
- 12-time Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Bart Cummings dies Updated: Aug-30-15 10:54 am
SYDNEY - Bart Cummings, one of Australia's most successful racehorse trainers who won the Melbourne Cup a record 12 times, has died at the age of 87.
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Ronda Rousey's next fight moved up to Nov. 15 in Australia Updated: Aug-29-15 3:29 am
LOS ANGELES - Ronda Rousey's next UFC fight against Holly Holm has been moved up to Nov. 15 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Australian Olympic Committee extends ban on sleeping drugs Updated: Aug-28-15 2:25 am
SYDNEY - Australia Olympians for next year's Rio Games will be banned from taking sleeping drugs from the time they're selected for the national team.
- FFA gives Brisbane Roar's Indonesia owners final warning Updated: Aug-28-15 2:06 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Football Federation Australia has told the Indonesian owners of Brisbane Roar that they will lose control of the A-League club if its financial problems are not addressed immediately.
- Australian survivor of WWII 'Great Escape' dies aged 101 Updated: Aug-28-15 1:13 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Paul Royle, an Australian pilot who took part in a mass breakout from a German prisoner of war camp during World War II that is remembered as The Great Escape, has died in his hometown of Perth, his son said Friday. He was 101.
- Jedinak among 3 players ruled out of Socceroos match Updated: Aug-27-15 11:26 pm
SYDNEY - Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric and Robbie Kruse have been ruled out of the Australia's 2018 World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh and will be replaced by Italian-based attacker Chris Ikonomidis, striker Ben Halloran and midfielder Luke Brattan.
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Search for MH370 may ramp up soon with new sonar equipment Updated: Aug-26-15 7:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said Wednesday.
- Wallabies to train at University of Notre Dame Updated: Aug-25-15 8:38 pm
SYDNEY - Australia will use the University of Notre Dame as a training base ahead of the Rugby World Cup.
- Air New Zealand's annual profit up 24 percent as it expands Updated: Aug-25-15 8:02 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's national airline on Wednesday posted a 24 percent jump in annual profit after benefiting from lower fuel costs and continuing its expansion in Asia and North America.
- BHP posts 86 percent profit drop as commodity prices tumble Updated: Aug-25-15 5:46 am
SYDNEY - BHP Billiton, the world's biggest miner, reported an 86 percent drop in annual profit on Tuesday amid plummeting commodity prices, as the company warned that China's slowing economy would lead to further market volatility.
- Burwash leads Bowling Green, Kentucky, at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 10:59 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Eli Burwash scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the fifth inning then earned the save pitching as Bowling Green, Kentucky, avoided elimination Monday at the Little League World Series by beating Taylors, South Carolina, 4-3.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- The Latest: Crews fight fire near Montana highway Updated: Aug-24-15 4:07 pm
OKANOGAN, Washington - The latest on wildfires in the West (all times local):
- Mexico scores 9 in 1st inning to eliminate Australia at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 4:02 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Mexico scored nine runs in the first inning to eliminate Australia from the Little League World Series, winning 14-3 in four innings on Monday.
- Hugh Jackman plans Australian concert tour Updated: Aug-24-15 6:31 am
SYDNEY - Hugh Jackman is knocking an item off his bucket list.
- Australia's Rohan Dennis wins USA Pro Challenge Updated: Aug-23-15 7:39 pm
DENVER - Australia's Rohan Dennis won the USA Pro Challenge on Sunday, finishing in the main pack to take the overall title by 40 seconds over teammate Brent Bookwalter of the United States.
- Iran coach says Guam visa hassles nothing to do with soccer Updated: Aug-23-15 4:12 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Iran coach Carlos Queiroz says the frustrations faced by the tiny Pacific island of Guam in obtaining visas to travel to Tehran for a World Cup qualifier next month give just a glimpse of the problems long faced by his team in negotiating international soccer.
- Australia tops Dominican Republic 3-0 on consecutive homers Updated: Aug-22-15 4:24 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Jake Burns and Blake Cavill hit back-to-back home runs in the sixth inning and Australia beat the Dominican Republic 3-0 on Saturday at the Little League World Series.
- Shark seriously injures surfer off Australia's east coast Updated: Aug-22-15 6:40 am
SYDNEY - A shark seriously injured a surfer Saturday as a spate of attacks continued on Australia's central east coast.
- Fernandez homers, Venezuela beats Australia 5-2 in LLWS Updated: Aug-21-15 3:39 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Yeiner Fernandez hit a three-run home run in the top of the sixth inning as Venezuela opened its Little League World Series with a 5-2 victory over Australia on Friday.
- Australia considers US request to bomb IS targets in Syria Updated: Aug-21-15 3:31 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is considering a U.S. request to launch airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Syria in an unprecedented departure from Australian foreign policy that could spark political disputes.