- Aloisi takes over as head coach of Brisbane Roar in A-League Updated: May-26-15 5:38 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Three-time A-League champion Brisbane Roar has hired ex-Australia forward John Aloisi as head coach for next season, with one of his first assignments set to be against Liverpool in a friendly on July 17.
- Australia to pass law to strip citizenship for terror crimes Updated: May-26-15 2:31 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia plans to pass a law within weeks to give the government power to strip citizenship from dual nationals who are suspected terrorists even if they are not convicted of a crime, the prime minister said Tuesday.
- California looks to Australia for tips on surviving drought Updated: May-25-15 9:32 pm
SYDNEY - California has turned to the world's driest inhabited continent for solutions to its longest and sharpest drought on record.
- Australia rejects Vietnamese refugee claims in 40 minutes Updated: May-25-15 8:58 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia secretly held a group of 46 Vietnamese asylum seekers on a warship at sea for almost a month and rejected their refugee claims during interviews that took as little as 40 minutes before returning them all to Vietnam last month, officials said.
- Sydney siege inquest: Gunman secretive, defiant narcissist Updated: May-25-15 3:46 am
SYDNEY - The man who took 18 people hostage at a Sydney cafe last year was educated and erratic, secretive about his own life and public about his many grievances, and a self-obsessed fabulist whose life was spiraling downward in the lead-up to his deadly attack, lawyers told an inquest Monday.
- Australia to bring home bodies of 25 who died in Vietnam War Updated: May-24-15 10:30 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia announced Monday that it will repatriate the remains of up to 25 Australian soldiers killed about 50 years ago during the Vietnam War.
- Aussies select full-strength squad for Cup qualifying opener Updated: May-24-15 9:44 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Asian Cup champion Australia has selected a full-strength squad including Tim Cahill and Mile Jedinak for its opening World Cup qualifier in Kyrgyzstan.
- Sweden wins Eurovision Song Contest while Russia is booed Updated: May-23-15 9:07 pm
VIENNA - Sweden beat Russia to win the 60th Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday, in an event described by organizers as beyond politics but marred by boos for the Russian that were apparently prompted by the Ukraine conflict and the Kremlin's anti-gay policies.
- Defending 100-meter champion Magnusssen out of swim worlds Updated: May-23-15 7:14 pm
SYDNEY - Defending 100-meter freestyle champion James Magnussen of Australia will miss the July world swimming championships in Kazan, Russia, due to left shoulder surgery.
- Japan pledges climate change aid to Pacific island nations Updated: May-23-15 7:41 am
TOKYO - Japan pledged Saturday 55 billion yen ($450 million) in aid to Pacific island nations that are battling rising sea levels and natural calamities as a result of global warming.
- Australia in Europe's Song Contest? In a word, yes. Updated: May-22-15 9:11 am
VIENNA - For the first time in its 60-year history, the Eurovision Song Contest may be won by - Australia.
- Cambodia accepts 4 refugees under Australia agreement Updated: May-21-15 11:37 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Four refugees rejected by Australia who have agreed to resettle in Cambodia will likely become examples that other refugees will follow, an Australian minister said Friday.
- Lonely man finds a home in Islam, and then in Islamic State Updated: May-21-15 1:04 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Before he left New Zealand, Mark Taylor spoke with a local television network. "I've been lonely all my life," he said. "Been rejected by people. Used by people. Abused by people."
- Exodus from New Zealand to Australia reverses after 24 years Updated: May-21-15 3:01 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Australia's warmer climate and higher wages have long lured droves of New Zealanders across the Tasman Sea with the aim of making a better life in the "lucky country."
- New Zealand fails to deliver promised budget surplus Updated: May-21-15 12:20 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's government on Thursday blamed low inflation for its failure to deliver a promised budget surplus this year but said it remains on target to get its books into the black next year.
- Sydney signs Senegal player Tavares for 2 more years Updated: May-20-15 10:56 pm
SYDNEY - Sydney FC has extended the contract of French-born Senegal international Mickael Tavares for a further two A-League seasons.
- Barker named skipper, CEO of Japanese America's Cup team Updated: May-20-15 10:41 pm
Former Emirates Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker has been named skipper and CEO of America's Cup challenger SoftBank Team Japan.
- Vatican finance minister denies Australian bribe allegation Updated: May-20-15 9:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Pope Francis' finance minister has denied an allegation that he offered a bribe to a victim of clergy abuse to protect a pedophile priest.
- From middle-class Australian to Islamic State bride Updated: May-20-15 9:18 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Quietly - almost secretly - Zehra Duman morphed from private school student to Islamic State bride and online recruiter for the movement. Her family did not see it coming.
- 24 little penguins from Australia go on display at Bronx Zoo Updated: May-20-15 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - Two dozen members of the world's smallest penguin species have taken up residence at the Bronx Zoo.
- New Zealand man on cross-country bike trip reaches ND Updated: May-20-15 4:11 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - A New Zealand man who's biking across America has made it to North Dakota.
- FFA terminates Newcastle license over financial issues Updated: May-20-15 3:00 am
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has terminated the Newcastle Jets' A-League operating license hours after financially troubled owner Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of 2.7 million Australian dollars ($2.14 million).
- Guam utility works to restore power, water to residents Updated: May-18-15 9:29 am
HAGATNA, Guam - About 4,500 Guam residents are without water following the wind, rain and waves brought on by Typhoon Dolphin.
- Catholic brother from US convicted of sex abuse in Australia Updated: May-18-15 3:19 am
SYDNEY - A Catholic brother accused of sex abuse in the U.S. has been convicted in Australia of a string of sex offenses dating back to the 1970s, when he taught at a Catholic school in Melbourne.
- Melbourne Victory win A-League title, beat Sydney FC 3-0 Updated: May-17-15 6:47 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Albanian striker Besart Berisha added to his team-leading goal total in the biggest match of the season, helping the Melbourne Victory to a 3-0 win over Sydney FC in the A-League grand final Sunday.