- HanesBrands soars on deal to buy Australian underwear seller Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of HanesBrands soared Thursday, a day after the company said it is buying Australian underwear seller Pacific Brands Ltd. for about $800 million.
- Report: Lego denial of Ai Weiwei order due to mistake Updated: Apr-28-16 11:18 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, whose family owns the Lego group, says "an internal mistake" led the company to deny a bulk order last year from Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei, who wanted toy bricks for an exhibition in Australia.
- Australian leader defends gun controls on tragic anniversary Updated: Apr-27-16 9:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that a review of national gun laws would not weaken strict regulations that had kept Australians safer since 35 people were shot dead by a mass murderer 20 years ago.
- Australia's refugee camp in Papua New Guinea to close Updated: Apr-27-16 2:39 am
SYDNEY - The fate of hundreds of asylum seekers being held in a detention center in Papua New Guinea was in limbo on Wednesday as the country's prime minister announced the facility would close in response to a court ruling that Australia's detention of the men on the island nation is illegal.
- 1 Albanian arrested, 2 at large in human trafficking scam Updated: Apr-26-16 11:33 am
TIRANA, Albania - Albanian police say they have arrested a man and are hunting for two women for allegedly defrauding more than two dozen people in a human trafficking scam.
- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.
- Diego Castro wins top individual award in Australian soccer Updated: Apr-26-16 8:03 am
SYDNEY - Perth Glory winger Diego Castro has won the top individual honor in Australia's A-League.
- Australian teen pleads not guilty to plotting terror attack Updated: Apr-25-16 10:31 pm
SYDNEY - A teenager pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to plotting a terrorist attack on an Australian Veteran's Day ceremony.
- Ex-world time trial champ Rogers retires with heart problem Updated: Apr-25-16 8:10 pm
SYDNEY - Former time-trial world champion Michael Rogers has retired from competitive cycling because of a heart condition.
- Britain's Prince Harry honors Australian, New Zealand fallen Updated: Apr-25-16 8:15 am
LONDON - Britain's Prince Harry has laid a wreath during an early morning ANZAC Day service in London honoring fallen New Zealanders and Australians.
- Philippine mayor widens poll lead ahead of May 9 election Updated: Apr-24-16 11:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - A tough-talking Philippine mayor has widened his lead in a poll ahead of May 9 presidential elections, but analysts said Sunday that his chances will likely be hurt by a storm of criticism over a rape joke and offensive remarks against major Western allies.
- Western Sydney beat Brisbane 5-4 in A-League semi Updated: Apr-24-16 6:05 am
SYDNEY - Dario Vidosic scored in the 12th minute of extra time to give the Western Sydney Wanderers a 5-4 win over Brisbane on Sunday in an extraordinary semifinal in Australian football's A-League.
- Sunwolves claim 1st win in Super Rugby, Chiefs still top Updated: Apr-24-16 4:34 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Super Rugby snapped out of its mid-season torpor Saturday with a thrilling match between the first-placed Chiefs and third-placed Hurricanes that showcased the quality of the New Zealand conference.
- Auckland FC wins Oceania Champions League Updated: Apr-23-16 3:44 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Auckland City FC sealed a place at the FIFA Club World Cup in Japan in December by beating New Zealand rivals Team Wellington 3-0 Saturday to win the Oceania Champions League.
- 175 states sign landmark Paris deal on climate change Updated: Apr-22-16 6:08 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The historic agreement on climate change marked a major milestone on Friday with a record 175 countries signing on to it on opening day. But world leaders made clear more action is needed, and quickly, to fight a relentless rise in global temperatures.
- The Latest: US says world closer to key goal on climate deal Updated: Apr-22-16 4:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Latest on the U.N. signing ceremony for the Paris Agreement on climate change (all times local):
- Australian mother in Lebanon custody case reunited with kids Updated: Apr-21-16 9:02 am
BEIRUT - An Australian mother in the middle of a high-profile, international custody battle was reunited on Thursday with her two children in Lebanon, a day after her release on bail.
- Guangzhou Evergrande out of Asian Champions League Updated: Apr-20-16 9:00 pm
SYDNEY - Big-spending defending champion Guangzhou Evergrande failed to advance from the group stage of the Asian Champions League despite a win this week, with Sydney FC and Urawa Red Diamonds reaching the knock out stage from Group H.
- Adam Scott opts against competing at Olympics in Rio Updated: Apr-19-16 11:42 pm
SYDNEY - Adam Scott has opted against competing at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in August.
- Australian minister: Depp dog apology video no award winner Updated: Apr-19-16 1:58 am
SYDNEY - Was the filmed apology over an international dog smuggling scandal supposed to look like a hostage video? Was the weirdly wooden delivery a deliberate protest by the unhappy actors? And does the Australian politician at the heart of the world's most bizarre biosecurity case think he could have directed it better himself?
- Australian leader says he plans to call rare early election Updated: Apr-18-16 11:42 pm
SYDNEY - Australia's prime minister said on Tuesday he expects to call a rare early election, with the nation likely to head to the polls in July amid waning popularity for the ruling conservative party.
- Philippine presidential front-runner's rape remark condemned Updated: Apr-18-16 11:52 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Australian ambassador and Philippine presidential candidates condemned the leading contender's remark at a campaign rally last week that he "should have been the first" to rape an Australian missionary who was assaulted and killed by prisoners in 1989.
- Hackett apologizes after in-flight incident Updated: Apr-18-16 5:19 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former Olympic champion Grant Hackett has issued an apology following reports the swimmer groped a male passenger who reclined the seat in front of him during a flight home from the Australian Olympic trials.
- Melbourne City beats Perth 2-0 to reach A-League semifinals Updated: Apr-17-16 5:32 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Melbourne City will play Adelaide United in next weekend's semifinals of Australian football's A-League after beating Perth 2-0 Sunday in the first round of the playoffs.
- No Williams, no problem, as US beats Australia at Fed Cup Updated: Apr-17-16 2:30 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Even without Serena and Venus Williams, the United States was too strong for Australia in their Fed Cup playoff, clinching a spot in the elite eight-nation World Group next year with a 4-0 sweep.