- Missing students' parents demand Mexican prosecutor be fired Updated: Apr-28-16 7:32 pm
MEXICO CITY - Parents of 43 college students who disappeared in 2014 called Thursday for the firing of the head of Mexico's criminal investigation agency, the AIC, for what they called missteps in the investigation.
- US official visits Haiti to assess progress toward elections Updated: Apr-28-16 7:25 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The U.S. State Department's special coordinator for Haiti arrived in the troubled Caribbean nation Thursday seeking to help resolve a political standoff that has left elections in limbo.
- Brotherly love: Colombia rebels swap politician for brother Updated: Apr-28-16 7:03 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - When leftist rebels in Colombia earlier this month freed a former governor held captive more than two years, President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the release as a possible sign the National Liberation Army had sworn off kidnapping as peace talks with the group were getting under way.
- Mexican general gets 52 years for torturing, killing man Updated: Apr-28-16 6:56 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge has sentenced a general in the Mexican army to 52½ years in prison for ordering the torture of a suspect, then having his body burned, Mexico's federal judiciary council said Thursday.
- Venezuela congress votes to censure food czar amid Updated: Apr-28-16 6:43 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's opposition-controlled congress voted Thursday to censure the country's food minister amid widespread shortages.
- Transgender civil servants in Brazil can use chosen name Updated: Apr-28-16 6:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian transgender and transsexual civil servants will now be able to use their chosen names while on the job.
- Year-round flights to Mexico from Sea-Tac airport to start Updated: Apr-28-16 6:17 pm
SEATTLE - Year-round flights to Mexico from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport will start in July.
- GOP senator blocks vote on Army secretary over Guantanamo Updated: Apr-28-16 5:36 pm
WASHINGTON - The nomination of President Barack Obama's choice to serve as Army secretary remains blocked by a Kansas senator over administration efforts to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and transfer detainees to the U.S.
- Mexico charges 4 detectives with holding foreigners Updated: Apr-28-16 5:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge in Mexico has ordered two federal detectives and two ex-detectives to stand trial on charges of kidnaping for extortion for allegedly holding 15 South American women briefly to demand a bribe for not reporting them to immigration authorities.
- Rescuers search for missing in deadly Guatemala trash slide Updated: Apr-28-16 4:41 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Hundreds of rescuers picked through a Guatemalan garbage dump Thursday looking for bodies or possible survivors a day after a massive slope of trash collapsed, killing at least four people.
- Cuban exiles drop lawsuit over Carnival cruise to island Updated: Apr-28-16 4:09 pm
MIAMI - Two Cuban exiles have dropped their federal discrimination lawsuit against Carnival Corp. after the cruise line reached an agreement with the communist-run island to permit Cuban-born passengers to make the voyage.
- Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.
- Haley: Feds have left South Carolina in dark on Guantanamo Updated: Apr-28-16 2:02 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Gov. Nikki Haley on Thursday criticized the federal government for keeping her in the dark about plans to potentially transfer Guantanamo detainees to South Carolina, telling a U.S. House panel that she has heard no details about what she says could be detrimental for her state.
- Ecuadorean jetliner skids off runway landing in heavy rain Updated: Apr-28-16 2:00 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - A plane with 93 people on board has skidded off a runway while landing during heavy rain at an airport in southern Ecuador.
- Top-seeded Goffin, del Potro reach BMW Open quarters Updated: Apr-28-16 1:29 pm
MUNICH - Top-seeded David Goffin of Belgium advanced to the quarterfinals of the BMW Open by beating Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 on Thursday.
- Dortmund captain and defender Hummels wants Bayern move Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
DORTMUND, Germany - Borussia Dortmund captain and central defender Mats Hummels has asked to be released from his contract so that he can move to Bundesliga rival Bayern Munich next season.
- Busta, Almagro reach Estoril Open quarterfinals Updated: Apr-28-16 12:13 pm
ESTORIL, Portugal - Eighth-seeded Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain reached his fourth clay-court quarterfinal of the year when he defeated Taro Daniel of Japan 6-4, 7-5 in the Estoril Open on Thursday.
- In 'Papa,' Hemingway returns to Cuba via the silver screen Updated: Apr-28-16 11:16 am
LOS ANGELES - Ernest Hemingway left Cuba shortly after Fidel Castro's revolution, as relations with the United States began to fall into a deep freeze. Over five decades later, the author of "The Old Man and the Sea" returns to the island thanks to the magic of the silver screen.
- Reputed 'El Chapo' associate pleads guilty in Chicago court Updated: Apr-28-16 10:56 am
CHICAGO - A reputed associate of Mexican cartel leader Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has pleaded guilty to helping move more than $1.5 million in drug money between the U.S. and Mexico.
- Victims of Chile colony hope German documents bring justice Updated: Apr-28-16 6:03 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Victims of a secretive German colony in Chile hope that Germany's decision to declassify documents will help shine light on human rights abuses committed there.
- America wins back to back CONCACAF titles, beating Tigres Updated: Apr-28-16 2:03 am
MEXICO CITY - Osvaldo Martinez broke a tie on a penalty kick in the 86th minute and America beat Tigres 2-1 on Wednesday night for its second straight CONCACAF Champions League title and record seventh overall.
- Pingree, Poliquin want new rules for Cuban-bound flights Updated: Apr-28-16 12:40 am
BANGOR, Maine - Maine's two U.S. representatives are proposing new legislation that they say will help create jobs by updating regulations that cause American airports to lose business to Canada.
- Mexican judges orders 5 cops, soldiers to trial for torture Updated: Apr-27-16 9:54 pm
MEXICO CITY - Judges in Mexico have ordered two soldiers and three federal police officers to stand trial in connection with the torture of a young woman that was caught on video.
- Soccer-crazy Argentina club offers fans an implantable chip Updated: Apr-27-16 8:57 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Fans in soccer-mad Argentina often chant: "I carry you inside me!" when talking about their favorite club. It might soon be more than just a slogan.
- Mexico watches out for banned steroid clenbuterol in food Updated: Apr-27-16 8:26 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico is watching out for the banned steroid clenbuterol - on the dinner plates of its athletes.