- WHO and sailing body seek virus tests in Rio Olympic venues Updated: Aug-01-15 12:05 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The World Health Organization has asked the IOC to analyze virus levels in Rio de Janeiro's Olympic waters, and the governing body of world sailing says it will start doing its own independent virus tests.
- Rousey says she'll do Roddy Piper 'proud' in Rio fight Updated: Aug-01-15 10:14 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Ronda Rousey says she will be fighting for the late Roddy Piper, the Hall of Fame wrestler who gave her his "Rowdy" nickname.
- From Russia with love: Ruffini proposes marriage after win Updated: Aug-01-15 8:50 am
KAZAN, Russia - It started with nausea and vomiting. It ended with a winning strategy. And it was punctuated with a marriage proposal.
- USOC: 3 cities being contacted to replace Boston in 2024 bid Updated: Aug-01-15 8:35 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Olympic leaders have started contacting Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington about the possibility of bidding for the 2024 Games and believe the demise of Boston's candidacy will be "ancient history" by the time the host city is selected in 2017.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- SNL stars Armisen, Meyers, Hader reunite for parody series Updated: Aug-01-15 1:20 am
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Here's a roundup of news Friday from the Television Critics Association summer meeting, at which TV networks and streaming services are presenting details on upcoming programs:
- Mexico pet chain stops selling endangered, invasive species Updated: Jul-31-15 9:43 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's largest pet store chain has agreed to stop selling 47 species of birds and other animals native to Mexico, 18 of which are considered at risk or in danger of extinction.
- US envoy to UN visits Cuba's UN Mission, a first in decades Updated: Jul-31-15 8:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Samantha Power made the first visit by an American ambassador to the United Nations to Cuba's U.N. Mission in over a half-century on Friday.
- Mexico state: Indians approve embattled wind power project Updated: Jul-31-15 8:40 pm
MEXICO CITY - Residents of a heavily Indian area have approved the installation of a huge wind power project in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in southern Mexico, the Oaxaca state government said Friday.
- Venezuela governor: 1 killed during supermarket looting Updated: Jul-31-15 8:38 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A man was killed and dozens were arrested Friday as a mob looted a supermarket and other shops in an industrial Venezuelan city, Bolivar state authorities said.
- Puerto Rico: No money available to make $58M bond payment Updated: Jul-31-15 8:26 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's government said Friday it would not make a $58 million bond payment due on the weekend and warned that the general fund will run out of liquidity by November if no action is taken.
- Colombian military plane crashes, killing all 11 on board Updated: Jul-31-15 8:25 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - A Colombian military transport plane crashed in the country's north on Friday, killing all 11 personnel aboard.
- Fired Mexican soccer coach probed for political tweets Updated: Jul-31-15 7:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - The trouble isn't over for fired Mexico national soccer team coach Miguel Herrera. He is now under investigation for possible violations of electoral laws for politically oriented tweets sent the day of June 7 midterm elections, authorities said Friday.
- Mexico activists denounce abuses targeting Cuban migrants Updated: Jul-31-15 6:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Advocates for migrants said Friday they filed 15 complaints against Mexican government officials for allegedly extorting Cubans passing through en route to the United States and have documented hundreds of similar cases.
- Top-seeded Goffin advances to Swiss Open semifinals Updated: Jul-31-15 6:27 pm
GSTAAD, Switzerland - Top-seeded David Goffin of Belgium advanced to the Swiss Open semifinals Friday, beating sixth-seeded Joao Sousa of Portugal 6-7 (7), 6-4, 7-6 (1).
- Mexican judge orders 4 soldiers to stand trial in 7 deaths Updated: Jul-31-15 6:15 pm
MEXICO CITY - A federal judge in Mexico has ordered that four soldiers be held for trial on charges including forced disappearance and murder related to the deaths of seven people.
- Burning tractor temporarily closes US-Mexico border bridge Updated: Jul-31-15 5:31 pm
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico - A burning farm tractor briefly closed an international bridge on the Texas-Mexico border.
- Report: Pinochet covered up burning death of US resident Updated: Jul-31-15 5:16 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - U.S. documents published Friday indicate Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet covered up the military's role in the burning death of a 19-year-old U.S. resident during a 1986 protest, a case that drew worldwide condemnation and strained the regime's relationship with Washington.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- Antonio Banderas to star in Starz series 'Cuban Quartet' Updated: Jul-31-15 4:07 pm
BEVERLY HILLS, California - Starz is developing "Cuban Quartet," a series starring Antonio Banderas.
- Bus service resumes in San Salvador after driver killings Updated: Jul-31-15 3:53 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Bus service returned to near normal in the Salvadoran capital Friday after being paralyzed for four days due to a string of deadly gang attacks on drivers and warnings to others to abandon their routes.
- Freed Colombian warlord apologizes for atrocities Updated: Jul-31-15 3:14 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - One of Colombia's most-feared right-wing warlords has been released from jail and apologized Friday for his atrocities.
- Brazil's Petrobras receives more than $20 million Updated: Jul-31-15 11:46 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's state-owned oil company has received the equivalent of more than $20 million that was recovered as a result of an investigation into a corruption-kickback scandal engulfing Petrobras.
- Royal Caribbean profit jumps 34 pct in 2Q; bumps forecast Updated: Jul-31-15 8:53 am
MIAMI - Royal Caribbean cruised beyond most expectations for its second quarter thanks in part to falling energy prices and it raised its profit guidance for the year.
- Currency crisis has Venezuelans struggling to call abroad Updated: Jul-31-15 12:04 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelans are struggling to call abroad as telephone carriers fall behind on payments to international partners amid a currency crisis that is leaving the country increasingly cut off from the rest of the world.