- Somalia hotel truck bomb toll rises to 15 Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The massive truck bomb that killed 15 people, including a Kenyan diplomat, and wrecked Somalia's premier hotel has stunned the capital and raised fears Monday that the Islamic extremist al-Shabab rebels are escalating their violence.
- WHITE HOUSE NOTEBOOK: Barack, meet Lucy Updated: Jul-27-15 4:29 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama met an unexpected guest on the way to Monday night's state dinner at Ethiopia's National Palace - Lucy.
- Obama pushes for end to crippling crisis in South Sudan Updated: Jul-27-15 3:29 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama launched a personal push for peace in South Sudan on Monday, convening African leaders for urgent talks in neighboring Ethiopia aimed at keeping the world's newest nation from collapsing amid civil war.
- UN says Burundi election wasn't 'inclusive, free, credible' Updated: Jul-27-15 1:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. electoral observers in Burundi say last week's election that won President Pierre Nkurunziza a controversial third term took place in an environment that was "not conducive for an inclusive, free and credible electoral process."
- Obama chides 2016 candidates for 'ridiculous,' 'sad' remarks Updated: Jul-27-15 12:35 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Insisting that Americans deserve better, President Barack Obama chided Republicans Mike Huckabee, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz on Monday for a series of campaign-trail attacks that he said would be "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- Hundreds of Mozambicans cross into Malawi to flee fighting Updated: Jul-27-15 11:21 am
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Hundreds of Mozambicans have fled into neighboring Malawi after renewed fighting between government troops and fighters loyal to the opposition party Renamo, officials from both countries said Monday.
- Kenyan girl who gave flowers to Obama goes back to school Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - An 8-year-old Kenyan girl who presented flowers to President Barack Obama at an arrival ceremony last week got lots of attention when she returned to school on Monday. And she was a little overwhelmed by all the fuss.
- The Latest: Obama says South Sudan needs urgent attention Updated: Jul-27-15 7:43 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Ethiopia (all times local):
- Lawsuit points to hacking by Ethiopia as Obama makes visit Updated: Jul-27-15 3:34 am
WASHINGTON - As President Barack Obama faces pressure to discuss human rights in his first official visit to Ethiopia, a unique lawsuit back home is challenging whether the African country can spy on an American by turning his computer into a giant recording device.
- Obama, African leaders to hold talks on South Sudan crisis Updated: Jul-26-15 1:22 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - U.S. officials are voicing pessimism about the prospect of a peace and power-sharing agreement in South Sudan as President Barack Obama prepares to hold talks on the crisis with African leaders.
- Obama opens first visit to Ethiopia by US president Updated: Jul-26-15 11:28 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama is making the first-ever visit by an American president to Ethiopia.
- Obama's visit raises Ethiopia's stature amid rights concerns Updated: Jul-26-15 6:05 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Like the visit to Kenya, President Barack Obama's trip Sunday to Ethiopia represents the first time a sitting U.S. president has been to this East African country and according to its government, it is a sign of the nation's growing stature.
- The Latest: Conte says facing Spain 'very stimulating' Updated: Jul-25-15 5:51 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The latest on Saturday's 2018 World Cup qualifying draw (times are local):
- Obama returns to Kenya, reunites with father's family Updated: Jul-24-15 3:22 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Fulfilling the hopes of millions of Kenyans, Barack Obama returned to his father's homeland Friday for the first time as U.S. president, a long sought visit by a country that considers him a local son.
- Trade deal wipes out tariffs on more than 200 tech products Updated: Jul-24-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Dozens of countries have agreed to abolish duties on more than 200 technology products - from advanced computer chips to GPS devices, printer cartridges and video-game consoles.
- Burundi: President Nkurunziza wins controversial third term Updated: Jul-24-15 12:44 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's President Pierre Nkurunziza has won a third term in office, an electoral official announced Friday, amid controversy over whether his new term is constitutional.
- Kenyan security on high alert ahead of Obama visit Updated: Jul-24-15 9:10 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A massive security operation is in place to protect President Barack Obama during his visit to Kenya, which has been frequently targeted by al-Shabab militants based in neighboring Somalia.
- US Sen. Markey to join Obama on his trip to Kenya, Ethiopia Updated: Jul-23-15 7:22 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Edward Markey is joining President Barack Obama on his trip to Kenya and Ethiopia.
- Kenyan bombing victims appeal for aid ahead of Obama visit Updated: Jul-23-15 2:16 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan victims of the 1998 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi are appealing for financial compensation from the United States ahead of a visit this week by President Barack Obama.
- White House dismisses Kenya release of Obama schedule Updated: Jul-22-15 6:35 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama's travel plans won't change after Kenyan aviation authorities released specifics about his arrival there later this week.
- AU, Somali troops drive al-Shabab out of major base Updated: Jul-22-15 1:50 pm
- Rudisha now the one who has to catch up Updated: Jul-22-15 11:44 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - David Rudisha has been left behind, and he's not used to it.
- Burundi officials skip crisis talks days before poll Updated: Jul-19-15 5:55 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Government representatives failed to show up Sunday for talks in Burundi aimed at ending the unrest caused by the president's controversial bid for a third term, forcing the mediation to be adjourned just ahead of Tuesday's election, the talks facilitator said.
- Uganda sending combat helicopters to Somalia battle Updated: Jul-19-15 11:40 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda will send attack and transport helicopters to bolster its forces fighting the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab insurgency in Somalia, an army spokesman said Sunday.
- Monks mark 80 years in United States Updated: Jul-19-15 10:23 am
SCHUYLER, Nebraska - The outstretched arms of St. Benedict are an inviting sight.