- Nigeria defense minister: uprising surmountable Updated: Mar-08-14 8:31 am
- A Gadhafi son is extradited to Libya Updated: Mar-06-14 5:13 pm
- US hosts Azerbaijan, Turkey, Nigeria in warmups Updated: Mar-06-14 3:57 pm
- 4 accused gays whipped in north Nigerian court Updated: Mar-06-14 1:05 pm
- Nigeria gets new defense minister Updated: Mar-06-14 7:55 am
- Neymar hat trick, Ronaldo record in WCup warmups Updated: Mar-06-14 12:29 am
- Brazil warms up in style; Spain, France win Updated: Mar-06-14 12:26 am
- Ronaldo sets all-time scoring record for Portugal Updated: Mar-05-14 6:19 pm
- Belgium draws with Ivory Coast 2-2 in WCup warm-up Updated: Mar-05-14 5:14 pm
- Akon looks to bring electricity to homes in Africa Updated: Mar-05-14 3:00 pm
- Militants kill 11 people in their homes in Nigeria Updated: Mar-04-14 4:06 pm
- 7 suspected Nigerian militants are arrested Updated: Mar-03-14 3:26 pm
- Gunmen kill 3 policemen in Nigeria Updated: Mar-03-14 2:40 pm
- Nigeria bloodshed continues with 32 dead Updated: Mar-03-14 12:57 pm
- Spain-El Salvador to play pre-World Cup friendly Updated: Feb-28-14 11:35 am
- Spain-El Salvador to play pre-World Cup exhibition Updated: Feb-28-14 11:20 am
- NJ charges dozens in alleged car theft ring Updated: Feb-27-14 7:10 pm
- National Guard partners with 2 African countries Updated: Feb-27-14 4:13 pm
- African champion Nigeria unveils lime-green jersey Updated: Feb-27-14 3:48 pm
- Shell Nigeria closes major pipeline, cites theft Updated: Feb-27-14 1:10 pm
- 2 aid workers injured in Mali land mine blast Updated: Feb-26-14 11:07 am
- Liberia: Oil company investigated for bribery Updated: Feb-26-14 9:37 am
- Russian gays marry, will seek asylum in Argentina Updated: Feb-25-14 5:10 pm
- Ousted Nigerian banker: How many billions missing? Updated: Feb-25-14 8:35 am
- Muslims seek refuge in C. African Republic church Updated: Feb-24-14 1:50 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria's new defense minister says the country's northeastern Islamic uprising is "daunting but surmountable" and promises to make Nigeria safe.
TRIPOLI, Libya - One of Moammar Gadhafi's sons, al-Saadi, was extradited on Thursday to Libya from Niger, where he had taken refuge as his father's regime crumbled in 2011, bringing cheers from Libyans as the government prepares to prosecute him for his alleged role in trying to suppress the uprising against Gadhafi's rule.
CHICAGO - The United States will prepare for the World Cup with home exhibition games against Azerbaijan, Turkey and Nigeria.
LAGOS, Nigeria - Four young men were convicted of gay sex and whipped publicly as punishment Thursday in an Islamic court in northern Nigeria, a human rights activist said.
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria's president has appointed a retired general from the mainly Muslim north to be the new minister of defense as the country confronts an increasing number of ever-deadlier attacks by Islamic extremists staging an uprising in the northeast.
Neymar scored his second international hat trick to lead Brazil over South Africa 5-0 Wednesday night and Cristiano Ronaldo had a pair of goals to set Portugal's career scoring record in a 5-1 win over Cameroon as all 32 World Cup teams prepared for the tournament.
LONDON - Brazil showed its national team is in better shape than the country's stadiums with a 5-0 thrashing of South Africa on Wednesday, and defending champion Spain overcame Italy 1-0 in its final big test before the tournament kicks off, as teams prepared for the World Cup in a series of friendly matches.
LEIRIA, Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo became Portugal's all-time leading scorer Wednesday, netting twice as Portugal thrashed Cameroon 5-1 in a warm-up match between teams preparing for the World Cup.
BRUSSELS - Max Gradel capped an unlikely comeback for Ivory Coast against Belgium with a goal in the second minute of injury time to force a 2-2 draw Wednesday in the warm-up game for both World Cup finalists.
ATLANTA - Grammy-nominated singer Akon has a goal of bringing solar-powered electricity to 1 million homes in Africa by the end of the year, and the singer is using millions of his own dollars for the cause.
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Officials say Islamic militants have burned 11 people to death inside their homes in northeastern Nigeria, where frequent attacks have claimed at least 130 lives in the past four days alone.
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria's Department of State services says it has arrested seven suspected Islamic militants in connection with the killing of a pro-Western sheik who preached against Islamic extremism, his wife and their son.
KANO, Nigeria - Nigerian police say three policemen have been killed by suspected Islamic militants in Katsina, a northern state outside the region in which the militants usually operate.
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Ending a weekend of violence, 32 people were killed in the northern Nigerian village of Mafa Sunday night after soldiers fled the area, outgunned by suspected Islamist insurgents, officials said.
NEW YORK - Defending World Cup champion Spain will play a friendly against El Salvador on June 7 in the U.S. before heading to the World Cup in Brazil.
NEW YORK - Defending World Cup champion Spain will play an exhibition game against El Salvador on June 7 at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, before heading to the World Cup in Brazil.
TOTOWA, New Jersey - Nearly three dozen people were arrested or charged in what authorities said Thursday was a takedown of an auto theft ring that used tactics including carjackings in New York and New Jersey to help feed a demand for luxury sport utility vehicles in West Africa.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The North Dakota National Guard has partnered with two African countries as part of a federal program that fosters security cooperation between other nations and the United States.
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria has unveiled new lime-green jerseys it will wear at the World Cup in Brazil.
WARRI, Nigeria - Shell Nigeria said Thursday it has closed a 6,000-kilometer (3,700-mile) oil pipeline to repair leaks from oil theft.
BAMAKO, Mali - A French military spokesman says two medical aid workers were injured when their vehicle hit a land mine in the northern Mali city of Kidal.
MONROVIA, Liberia - Liberia's anti-corruption commission says it's investigating claims that the country's oil company bribed lawmakers to ensure the passage of oil legislation.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Russian homosexuals married Tuesday in Argentina and said they would seek asylum from the violence they fear back home in the Olympic city of Sochi, joining a growing number of other gays seeking marriage and refuge abroad.
LAGOS, Nigeria - The ousted governor of Nigeria's Central Bank says no one can say how many billions of petrodollars are missing from state coffers until there is an investigation.
CARNOT, Central African Republic - The Christian militiamen know hundreds of Muslims are hiding here on the grounds of the Catholic church and now they're giving them a final ultimatum: Leave Central African Republic within a week or face death at the hands of machete-wielding youths.