- South Dakota native earns Medal of Valor Updated: Apr-18-14 4:45 pm
- Taliban inmates break out of Afghan prison Updated: Apr-18-14 4:13 am
- NY-based Texas soldier dies from combat wounds Updated: Apr-17-14 9:17 am
- Pohang into 2nd round in Asian Champions League Updated: Apr-16-14 3:36 pm
- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack Updated: Apr-16-14 6:49 am
- Live fire exercise scheduled at Fort Knox Updated: Apr-16-14 4:04 am
- Former Army sergeant to receive Medal of Honor Updated: Apr-15-14 6:48 pm
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,177 Updated: Apr-15-14 4:04 pm
- Media group names award after AP's Niedringhaus Updated: Apr-15-14 1:46 pm
- Veteran seeks Iraq, Afghan war monument in Pontiac Updated: Apr-15-14 11:04 am
- Vet with no left leg to run in Boston Marathon Updated: Apr-14-14 4:02 pm
- Abdullah, Ghani lead in partial Afghan vote tally Updated: Apr-13-14 3:58 pm
- Wounded soldier, family ready for next chapter Updated: Apr-13-14 9:43 am
- Schumer requests NYC parade for returning troops Updated: Apr-13-14 7:04 am
- Del. National Guard hosting welcome home ceremony Updated: Apr-13-14 4:49 am
- AP photographer captured humanity amid chaos Updated: Apr-12-14 12:40 pm
- Tampa-based military dog retires with honors Updated: Apr-11-14 1:05 pm
- Drone used to scout Skagit Valley elk herd Updated: Apr-11-14 1:05 pm
- Turkmen president: 2015 start for pipeline work Updated: Apr-11-14 12:19 pm
- Oshkosh Corp. laying off 760 from defense division Updated: Apr-10-14 5:13 pm
- Hagel seeks to increase ties with Mongolia Updated: Apr-10-14 7:47 am
- Afghan probe begins in attack on AP journalists Updated: Apr-10-14 3:41 am
- Court overturns ex-banker's extradition to Russia Updated: Apr-09-14 1:08 pm
- Fallen Rangers posthumously awarded Bronze Star Updated: Apr-09-14 8:10 am
- Italian diplomat on abuse charge in Philippines Updated: Apr-07-14 10:40 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A native of Lemmon, South Dakota, has been honored for saving the lives of four soldiers in Afghanistan.
KABUL, Afghanistan - An official says three Taliban insurgents escaped from a prison in northern Afghanistan using weapons smuggled into the facility in a jailbreak that killed three police guards.
FORT DRUM, New York - Military officials say a soldier from Texas based at Fort Drum in northern New York has died from injuries suffered in an attack in Afghanistan last weekend.
OSAKA, Japan - South Korean club Pohang Steelers beat Japan's Cerezo Osaka 2-0 to secure a second-round spot in the Asian Champions League on Wednesday.
LONDON - British lawmakers said Wednesday that U.K. commanders' complacency and inadequate security were partly to blame for the failure to stop a Taliban attack on a U.S-British base in Afghanistan that killed two U.S. Marines.
FORT KNOX, Kentucky - A live fire training exercise is scheduled to take place at Fort Knox.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Honor to former Army Sergeant Kyle J. White, who put his own life at risk in an hours-long effort to save fellow service members during a 2007 ambush in Afghanistan.
As of Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at least 2,177 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count.
NEW YORK - A women's media group has created a new award for courage honoring Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus, who was killed on assignment in Afghanistan, the group announced Tuesday.
PONTIAC, Illinois - A U.S. Navy veteran from Pontiac wants to put up a monument to honor Livingston County residents who served in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
TACOMA, Washington - The first six times Edward Lychik told his physical therapist he wanted to run again, she was noncommittal, and with good reason.
KABUL, Afghanistan - Two clear front-runners emerged in Afghanistan's presidential election as partial results released Sunday showed a tight race that increasingly appears destined for a runoff vote.
GUNTERSVILLE, Alabama - Corey Garmon has a lot to celebrate as he gets ready to begin a new chapter in his life.
NEW YORK - Sen. Charles Schumer is proposing a New York City homecoming parade for troops returned from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.
DOVER, Delaware - The Delaware National Guard will host a welcome home ceremony for approximately 300 members returning from Afghanistan.
HOEXTER, Germany - Hundreds of mourners packed a church in central Germany on Saturday to remember Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus, who was killed on assignment in Afghanistan last week after a life spent between the chaos of war and the serenity of her rural birthplace.
TAMPA, Florida - A bomb-sniffing dog credited with saving a military patrol in Afghanistan is retiring with full military honors.
MOUNT VERNON, Washington - Looking out over the town of Hamilton in the upper Skagit River valley from a hillside on state Department of Natural Resources land, a team of federal unmanned aircraft operators and local researchers scouted for elk.
ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan - Turkmenistan's president has demanded that construction work begin in 2015 on a pipeline that will carry natural gas from his energy-rich country to Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.
MILWAUKEE - Oshkosh Corp. said Thursday it plans to eliminate about 760 jobs from its defense division this summer, or 29 percent of the group's workforce, a decision driven by lower demand for its mine-resistant trucks and other military vehicles.
ULAN BATOR, Mongolia - After days of high-profile, pressure-filled meetings, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel got to horse around a bit during a short stop in Mongolia on Thursday.
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan central government authorities on Wednesday began questioning the police commander who killed an Associated Press photographer and wounded an AP reporter, a day after he was transferred by helicopter to the capital - a rare case in which an Afghan officer or soldier who shot a foreigner was captured alive.
PARIS - France's top appeals court on Wednesday overturned a decision to extradite a former Kazakh banker whose dual roles as opposition leader and fugitive from justice led to legal cases in four countries.
COLUMBUS, Georgia - Six months after they were killed by an IED in Kandahar, Afghanistan, Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins and Spc. Cody J. Patterson of the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment were posthumously awarded the Bronze Star with Valor Device during a combat awards ceremony Tuesday at Fort Benning.
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine police said Monday they have detained a vacationing Italian diplomat and filed complaints of human trafficking and child abuse after he was allegedly found in the company of three underage boys at a resort.