- Brittany Lang leads LPGA Tour event in Alabama Updated: Aug-27-15 8:15 pm
PRATTVILLE, Alabama - Brittany Lang birdied five of the first seven holes in windy conditions and shot a 7-under 65 on Thursday to take the first-round lead in the Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic.
- The US economy's second quarter went from solid to stellar Updated: Aug-27-15 6:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy staged a far bigger rebound last quarter than first thought, outpacing the rest of the developed world and bolstering confidence that it will remain sturdy in coming months despite global headwinds.
- British man pleads guilty in North Korea-related drug scam Updated: Aug-27-15 6:29 pm
NEW YORK - A British man pleaded guilty Thursday to conspiring to import 100 kilograms of North Korean-produced methamphetamine into the United States.
- Mexico advances to International title game at LLWS Updated: Aug-27-15 6:27 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Left-hander Daniel Zaragoza gave up only three hits and doubled home a pair of runs Thursday, leading Mexicali Baja California, Mexico, to an 11-0 victory over Barquisimeto, Venezuela, and a berth in the International championship game at the Little League World Series.
- Gov. Ige says early immigration screening is Hawaii priority Updated: Aug-27-15 6:26 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige said Thursday it's a top priority for Hawaii that the U.S. be able to process Japanese travelers for immigration and customs before they even get on a plane for the islands.
- Johnson reaches Winston-Salem semis when Lu withdraws Updated: Aug-27-15 5:54 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - Steve Johnson reached the Winston-Salem Open semifinals when Taiwan's Yen-Hsun Lu withdrew because of a back injury.
- Freeport-McMoRan cuts more spending; Icahn discloses stake Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
PHOENIX - Activist investor Carl Icahn said late Thursday that he has taken an 8.5-percent stake in Freeport-McMoRan, just hours after the mining company announced cost cuts and lower spending in response to declining copper prices and soft economic conditions worldwide.
- Taking down Bolt is not easy, but a cameraman gives it a try Updated: Aug-27-15 5:06 pm
BEIJING - Only when the running stopped and the picture-taking began did Usain Bolt finally meet his match.
- A Q&A with Wall Street's top psychiatrist on market turmoil Updated: Aug-27-15 4:12 pm
NEW YORK - When it seems like the stock market has lost its mind, big banks and investment firms often turn to one particular psychiatrist: Richard Peterson, CEO of MarketPsych, a firm that applies research from behavioral science to financial markets.
- Ashton Eaton begins defense of decathlon title at worlds Updated: Aug-27-15 3:15 pm
BEIJING - Ashton Eaton is in good shape, maybe even his best shape in quite a while. Mentally, he's as strong as ever, too.
- Wlodarczyk's record win gives Poland hammer throw sweep Updated: Aug-27-15 12:42 pm
BEIJING - The more Anita Wlodarczyk has accomplished in her hammer throwing career, the more she has learned to keep her celebrations relatively restrained.
- Sudan says al-Bashir to visit China; invited to WWII parade Updated: Aug-27-15 11:19 am
UNITED NATIONS - Sudan says President Omar al-Bashir will soon travel to China.
- Snyder: Talking to China important despite GOP critics Updated: Aug-27-15 10:48 am
DETROIT - Republican Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said Thursday it's important to talk trade with Chinese officials despite some GOP presidential hopefuls blaming China for the recent tumble of U.S. stocks.
- Thai court issues warrant for suspect in second bomb blast Updated: Aug-27-15 10:47 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for an unnamed suspect in a riverside blast that occurred a day after the bombing of a shrine in central Bangkok which killed 20 people.
- Russia to launch Moscow-Beijing rally to rival Dakar Updated: Aug-27-15 10:42 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom has thrown its weight behind a rival to the renowned Dakar Rally as Russia flexes its muscles in the world of motorsport.
- US beats Algeria to sit 2nd at women's volleyball World Cup Updated: Aug-27-15 10:41 am
MATSUMOTO, Japan - The United States moved into the second place at the women's volleyball World Cup by overwhelming Algeria 25-7, 25-2, 25-5 Thursday to keep within a point of leader Russia after five matches.
- US stocks open higher after Chinese market surges Updated: Aug-27-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are opening higher after China's main stock index logged its biggest gain in eight weeks. A report also showed that the U.S. economy expanded at a much faster pace than previously estimated.
- The Latest: Defending champion Sum reaches 800 final Updated: Aug-27-15 8:52 am
BEIJING - The Latest from the world championships (all times local):
- Sinkhole in China swallows 5 people Updated: Aug-27-15 8:37 am
BEIJING - A sinkhole in a northeastern Chinese city swallowed five people in a dramatic scene that was captured on security video and shared widely on Chinese social media.
- China detains 11 over deadly warehouse explosion Updated: Aug-27-15 6:56 am
BEIJING - Chinese prosecutors have detained 11 government officials and company executives over a massive warehouse explosion that killed at least 145 people in the country's worst industrial disaster in recent years.
- China jails 45 on terror-related charges in Xinjiang region Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Chinese courts in the restive, western region of Xinjiang have jailed 45 people on terrorism-related charges, including 18 convicted of organizing illegal border crossings, state-run media reported Thursday.
- Christian lawyer taken away in China region removing crosses Updated: Aug-27-15 4:46 am
BEIJING - A well-known Chinese Christian lawyer had been out of contact for almost two days after being taken away by government workers in an eastern province where local authorities are under a deadline to remove the Christian symbol, the cross, from church roofs, his colleague said Thursday.
- Pence headed to Japan next month seeking jobs for Indiana Updated: Aug-27-15 4:04 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence will lead a delegation of Indiana business leaders to Japan next month on an economic development mission.
- China's Dalian Wanda buys Ironman triathlon brand for $650M Updated: Aug-26-15 11:52 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese property and cinema giant Dalian Wanda Group said Thursday that it is buying the company that owns the Ironman triathlon brand and race series as it forecasts explosive demand in China for the sport.
- Team from Pennsylvania beats Texas, reaches US final at LLWS Updated: Aug-26-15 11:14 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - The closest thing to a home team at the Little League World Series is headed for the final of the U.S. bracket. And Lewisberry can expect a full house when it goes for the title.