- US stocks drift lower after 2-day run; oil price jumps Updated: May-05-15 12:16 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. stock market sank Tuesday, taking a break after a two-day run. Chevron and other oil giants rose as crude oil climbed above $60 a barrel for the first time this year.
- Adelson due back on witness stand in Macau CEO firing case Updated: May-05-15 11:34 am
LAS VEGAS - Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson is due in court Tuesday before a state court judge considering whether Nevada is the place to hear a wrongful termination lawsuit by the former chief of Sands Macau operations.
- US trade deficit jumps to 6-year high of $51.4 billion Updated: May-05-15 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit in March swelled to the highest level in more than six years, propelled by a flood of imports that may have sapped the U.S. economy of any growth in the first quarter.
- Champion Wanderers out in group stage; FC Seoul advances Updated: May-05-15 9:41 am
GUANGZHOU, China - The Western Sydney Wanderers' Asian Champions League title defense ended Tuesday despite a win 2-0 over Guangzhou Evergrande, with FC Seoul moving into the knockout stage with a late 3-2 win over Kashima Antlers.
- Image of Asia: Chanel pays homage in Korean fashion show Updated: May-05-15 9:01 am
In this photo by Ahn Young-joon, Chanel head designer Karl Lagerfeld walks the runway with South Korean model Soo Joo Park and godson Hudson Kroenig after the presentation of his 2015-2016 Chanel cruise collection in Seoul. The collection paid homage to the host country, blending modernity and tradition. "Modern, international version of a typical Korean mood, how we see it for the modern 21st century but with inspiration from the past because I love the traditional Korean clothes, materials, patterns and all that. But it had to be made in a modern way because you can get cheap copies of the real one in any market. The real antique ones nobody can touch," said Lagerfeld. The collection looked to Chanel's past with monochromatic black and white but with the modern twist of bolero jackets over long shorts. Some pieces were inspired by the Korean hanbok, a traditional dress that was updated with a sequined skirt or broach. The show in Seoul was attended by several Korean celebrities such as actor and singer Choi Si-Won and actress and singer Im Yoona, as well as model Gisele Bundchen and actresses Kristen Stewart and Tilda Swinton.
- China, EU working on common approach on climate change Updated: May-05-15 8:47 am
BEIJING - The European Union's foreign policy chief said Tuesday she's confident the EU and China can agree to a common approach on climate change ahead of crucial carbon reduction talks in Paris this year.
- Report: 'Legal firewall' shields Chinese firms from lawsuits Updated: May-05-15 8:04 am
WASHINGTON - Chinese companies are shielding themselves from lawsuits in America, denying U.S. businesses and investors their day in court, a report from a federal watchdog says.
- China warns teacher who let student hold parasol for her Updated: May-05-15 7:34 am
BEIJING - A Chinese grade school teacher was admonished Tuesday for letting a student hold a parasol for her on a school outing after photos of the incident drew overwhelming criticism on social media.
- China to lift price controls on most drugs starting June 1 Updated: May-05-15 6:25 am
BEIJING - Chinese regulators will lift price controls on most pharmaceutical drugs starting June 1 in hopes that the market-driven pricing system will keep medical costs in check, the National Development and Reform Commission announced Tuesday.
- Beyonce shuts down the Met Gala in peekaboo Givenchy Updated: May-05-15 3:11 am
NEW YORK - Rihanna shut down the Met Gala's red carpet in a regal yellow coat. And then came Bey.
- Shanghai: Officials' close relatives can't run businesses Updated: May-05-15 1:58 am
BEIJING - Shanghai officials have implemented China's toughest ban on the business activities of government officials by prohibiting their spouses, children or children's spouses from running private businesses in the city.
- Adelson denies Vegas executives had hand in Macau CEO firing Updated: May-04-15 10:35 pm
LAS VEGAS - Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson spent an entire day Monday denying that Las Vegas Sands officials had a hand in firing Steven Jacobs as Sands China Ltd. president in July 2010. He also denied any knowledge of an "exorcism strategy."
- China-inspired couture on Met Gala red carpet Updated: May-04-15 7:31 pm
NEW YORK - Anna Wintour wore an orange floral couture look from Chanel as she walked up the grand staircase at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to kick off the gala that raises millions for her museum namesake: the Anna Wintour Costume Center.
- Met show uses film, fashion to explore East-West interplay Updated: May-04-15 6:33 pm
NEW YORK - Hollywood has long been fascinated with China. But that doesn't mean it has always represented it fully or accurately - far from it.
- Otter to lead businesses on trade mission to Peru, Mexico Updated: May-04-15 3:51 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter will lead a group of Idaho-based business leaders on a weeklong trade mission to Peru and Mexico next week.
- Class folds paper cranes for Fukushima radiation victims Updated: May-04-15 3:38 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - A group of third graders hope to send sisters visiting from Fukushima home to Japan with 1,000 paper cranes that represent wishes for health and good will.
- UN confirms Ban will visit Moscow for WW2 Victory Day Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm
- Fresh from fight weekend, MGM tops 1Q profit forecasts Updated: May-04-15 2:56 pm
LAS VEGAS - MGM Resorts International is still counting the money it earned from hosting Saturday's Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight, so CEO Jim Murren says he will save any "fun facts" for the company's second quarter results.
- In China, Taiwan party leader calls for more global access Updated: May-04-15 1:40 pm
BEIJING - The head of Taiwan's ruling Nationalist Party called for more chances for the island to participate in international organizations after a meeting Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping, whose government views the territory as a renegade province.
- Review: 'North Korea Confidential' shows world slipping in Updated: May-04-15 9:40 am
"North Korea Confidential" (Tuttle Publishing), by Daniel Tudor and James Pearson
- UN official praises China's assistance to Nepal after quake Updated: May-04-15 8:55 am
BEIJING - The leader of the U.N. Development Program on Monday praised China's relief efforts in Nepal and said the country's importance to global development will only grow.
- North Korea officially squelches speculation of Kim trip Updated: May-04-15 5:55 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - North Korea announced Monday that the head of its parliament will attend this month's Victory Day celebration in Moscow, squelching speculation that supreme leader Kim Jong Un would use the event to make his international debut.
- Retiring Hong Kong police chief takes pot shot at protesters Updated: May-04-15 5:41 am
HONG KONG - Hong Kong's outgoing police chief took a parting shot Monday at pro-democracy protesters who occupied busy streets in parts of the southern Chinese financial center for nearly three months last year.
- S. Korea urges N. Korea to release New York Univ. student Updated: May-03-15 11:58 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea on Monday urged North Korea to quickly free a South Korean student of New York University detained in the North for illegally entering the country.
- China factory index shows fastest deterioration in a year Updated: May-03-15 11:25 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese manufacturing suffered its sharpest contraction in a year in April, raising pressure on Beijing to roll out new stimulus to keep growth in the world's No. 2 economy from slipping below the official target, a report said Monday.