- The Latest: Rome says launch N. Korea's 'latest provocation' Updated: Feb-07-16 9:19 am
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Light quake shakes buildings in Tokyo; no injuries or damage Updated: Feb-07-16 6:43 am
TOKYO - A light earthquake struck north of Tokyo on Sunday, shaking buildings in the Japanese capital.
- Rescuers in Taiwan pull out survivors from quake rubble Updated: Feb-07-16 5:51 am
TAINAN, Taiwan - With anxious families waiting nearby, rescuers on Sunday painstakingly pulled more survivors from the remains of a high-rise apartment building that collapsed a day earlier in a powerful earthquake that shook southern Taiwan and killed at least 26 people. More than 100 remained buried in the building's rubble.
- Rubio comes under withering criticism in Republican debate Updated: Feb-07-16 3:21 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Marco Rubio faced withering criticism of his readiness to be president and his policy depth in the last Republican debate before Tuesday's New Hampshire primary, as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and other candidates launched an aggressive campaign to slow the Florida senator's rise.
- Storms may brew, but in N. Korea pride over new satellite Updated: Feb-07-16 2:17 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - Hours after the rest of the world already knew, North Korea's state media triumphantly announced in a special news bulletin to the nation Sunday it had successfully launched a satellite into orbit, calling it a major milestone in the nation's history and the "greatest gift of loyalty" to the country's young leader, Kim Jong Un.
- Janka wins super-G at 2018 Olympics test by large margin Updated: Feb-07-16 1:20 am
JEONGSEON, South Korea - Former overall World Cup champion Carlo Janka won the super-G test event for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics by a large margin Sunday, while several pre-race favorites failed to finish their runs.
- New Year's fireworks a little quieter in Chinese capital Updated: Feb-07-16 1:08 am
BEIJING - Much of China's population can expect sub-standard sleep after the country starts ringing in the Year of the Monkey. The rat-a-tat snaps of firecrackers, whistling rockets and mortar-like fireworks with possibly enough gunpowder to down a small aircraft will make sure of that.
- N. Korea praises launch, others see as covert missile test Updated: Feb-06-16 11:13 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea on Sunday defied international warnings and launched a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others call a cover for a banned test of technology for a missile that could strike the U.S. mainland.
- Danny Lee takes Phoenix Open lead in front of record crowd Updated: Feb-06-16 10:40 pm
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Danny Lee took the lead Saturday in the Waste Management Phoenix Open in front of the largest crowd in golf history.
- Christian group says China charges pastor with embezzling Updated: Feb-06-16 9:29 pm
BEIJING - A pastor in a Chinese province where authorities have been cracking down on churches has been charged with embezzling funds, a Christian rights group said.
- The Latest: More than 130 missing, 18 dead in Taiwan quake Updated: Feb-06-16 7:33 pm
TAINAN, Taiwan - The Latest on a magnitude-6.4 earthquake in southern Taiwan (all times local):
- Christie, Park win 1,500m races at short track World Cup Updated: Feb-06-16 1:03 pm
DRESDEN, Germany - European champion Elise Christie of Britain and Park Ji-won of South Korea won 1,500 meter races at a short track World Cup on Saturday.
- Afghanistan meeting ends with call for talks with Taliban Updated: Feb-06-16 11:22 am
ISLAMABAD - Four-nation talks aimed at ending Afghanistan's 15-year war concluded Saturday with a call for direct negotiations between the government and the Taliban by the end of February, but recent battlefield advances by the insurgents could make it hard to coax them to the table.
- Wind whisperer: US skier Nyman 3rd in Olympic downhill test Updated: Feb-06-16 9:23 am
JEONGSEON, South Korea - Steven Nyman couldn't have picked a better place to post his first podium result of the season: on the downhill course that will be used for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics.
- Angelina Jolie's film 'Unbroken' finally opens in Japan Updated: Feb-06-16 5:40 am
TOKYO - Angelina Jolie's "Unbroken" opened Saturday more than a year after the rest of the world in Japan, where the main character endures as a prisoner of war and where some have called for a boycott of the movie.
- Monkey Year inspires kung fu, predictions of fire, disease Updated: Feb-06-16 4:04 am
BEIJING - The new Chinese year is the one to go bananas over. On Feb. 8, the zodiac calendar enters the Year of the Monkey - the ninth of 12 animal signs. Plastic monkeys are adorning shopping centers and office buildings, and government departments have been giving out toy monkeys.
- Analysis: AP bureau chiefs in Koreas on planned launch Updated: Feb-05-16 10:43 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - It's another big, splashy step for the North Korean government: a planned rocket launch the world will see as a banned test of long-range missile technology that comes only weeks after testing what it said was a hydrogen bomb.
- Obama, Xi discuss NKorea amid signs of rocket launch preps Updated: Feb-05-16 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - The presidents of the U.S. and China agreed Friday that a planned rocket launch by North Korea would violate U.N. sanctions, the White House said, amid signs the isolated nation was moving closer to blastoff.
- Lions Gate shares plunge on earns miss as merger hopes fade Updated: Feb-05-16 3:06 pm
LOS ANGELES - Shares of Hollywood studio Lions Gate plunged Friday after it missed earnings expectations due to the underperformance of the finale of "The Hunger Games" and investors fled as hopes diminished for the company to become an acquisition vehicle.
- Obama, Xi coordinate response to NKorea provocations Updated: Feb-05-16 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) agree that a planned ballistic missile test by North Korea would be another "provocative and destabilizing" action in violation of multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions.
- Chinese-led investors plan to buy Chicago Stock Exchange Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
NEW YORK - The Chicago Stock Exchange, founded more than a century ago, said it has agreed to be acquired by a Chinese-led investor group.
- Yun Sung-bin takes 1st skeleton World Cup win for S Korea Updated: Feb-05-16 12:03 pm
ST. MORITZ, Switzerland - Yun Sung-bin got South Korea's first win in skeleton World Cup history to end a perfect season for six-time defending champion Martins Dukurs.
- China probe says stored chemical caused Tianjin blasts Updated: Feb-05-16 11:27 am
BEIJING - Deadly warehouse blasts that killed 165 people in a Chinese port city in August were triggered when a chemical stored in an unlicensed facility became too dry and caught fire, investigators announced Friday.
- Holy trees spark debate on future of Olympic downhill course Updated: Feb-05-16 10:45 am
JEONGSEON, South Korea - The long-term future of the downhill course for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics is coming under the spotlight this weekend at the Alpine skiing test event for the games.
- Big spending Chinese clubs show global ambitions Updated: Feb-05-16 10:15 am
The European transfer window is not so European any more, with Chinese clubs outspending the continent's richest clubs in January to prove that the country is now a genuine power in attracting the world's best players.