- An up-and-down day for stock market ends with a solid gain Updated: Oct-07-15 4:34 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks posted solid gains in a quiet session Wednesday, helped by advances in health-care and industrial companies.
- Man pleads guilty to killing 5 relatives with meat cleaver Updated: Oct-07-15 4:25 pm
NEW YORK - A Chinese immigrant who authorities said butchered five relatives with a meat cleaver, including four small children, will serve at least 125 years in prison after pleading guilty Wednesday to murder and manslaughter charges.
- South Africa tops Pool B, Habana ties Lomu's World Cup mark Updated: Oct-07-15 4:12 pm
LONDON - Bryan Habana equaled Jonah Lomu's record of 15 Rugby World Cup tries when he crossed for a hat trick that helped South Africa to a 64-0 win over the United States on Wednesday and secured top spot in Pool B.
- AP Interview: Nobel gives scientist recognition in China Updated: Oct-07-15 11:49 am
BEIJING - The time could not have been more hostile for Chinese scientists. Research came to a virtual halt and intellectuals were routinely persecuted. But Tu Youyou, then a 39-year-old researcher, was summoned to join a secretive military project during the Cultural Revolution to find a cure for malaria for soldiers in North Vietnam.
- Nadal beats Pospisil to reach China Open quarters Updated: Oct-07-15 11:44 am
BEIJING - Rafael Nadal moved into the quarterfinals of the China Open with a 7-6 (3), 6-4 victory over Canada's Vasek Pospisil on Wednesday.
- Abe reshuffles Cabinet, adding minister to focus on economy Updated: Oct-07-15 10:30 am
TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe reshuffled his Cabinet on Wednesday to focus on reviving the world's No. 3 economy, adding a new minister to coordinate recently announced economic projects.
- Vietnam seems big winner in US-anchored Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 7:56 am
HONG KONG - An ambitious Pacific Rim trade deal anchored by the U.S. promises to boost the economies of its 12 participating countries by opening their markets to one another, but not all the gains will be spread evenly.
- Chinese Navy makes 1st visit to Poland to strengthen ties Updated: Oct-07-15 7:31 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Chinese Navy destroyer, a Chinese frigate and a Chinese supply vessel sailed into Poland's navy port of Gdynia on Wednesday on the first such visit ever, marking 66 years of diplomatic ties and aiming to strengthen them even more.
- Seoul prosecutors questioning NYU student over N. Korea trip Updated: Oct-07-15 6:28 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean prosecutors are investigating a New York University student freed this week by North Korea on suspicion that he violated a law that prohibits South Korean citizens from traveling to the North without permission, officials said Wednesday.
- US experts warn plutonium stocks could soar in East Asia Updated: Oct-07-15 4:35 am
WASHINGTON - Experts warn that Northeast Asia could see a dangerous growth in stocks of weapons-usable plutonium - and U.S. lawmakers say Obama administration policies could be making matters worse.
- Jim Furyk doesn't have clubs and still travels Updated: Oct-07-15 4:09 am
INCHEON, South Korea - Jim Furyk showed how much the Presidents Cup meant to him. He came to South Korea without his golf clubs.
- Samsung 3Q operating profit surges, shares jump 9 percent Updated: Oct-07-15 3:49 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics announced a forecast-beating profit for the third quarter Wednesday, sending its share price up nearly 9 percent, but analysts said strong component sales and favorable currency exchange rates masked persistent weakness in its smartphone business.
- Scott trying to fill the (Presidents) Cup Updated: Oct-07-15 3:45 am
INCHEON, South Korea - Adam Scott has seven Presidents Cup logos on his bag to show how many teams he has made.
- Madonna announces second Bangkok show as part of world tour Updated: Oct-07-15 2:31 am
BANGKOK - Madonna has added a second show in Bangkok for her "Rebel Heart" world tour after the first concert sold out in under an hour, organizers said Wednesday.
- Bank of China ordered to release counterfeiters' records Updated: Oct-07-15 12:18 am
SHANGHAI - A New York judge has ordered the Bank of China to hand over detailed information about Chinese bank accounts used by a counterfeiting ring that allegedly sold millions of dollars of fake Gucci handbags and wallets in the U.S.
- As Pyongyang readies grand show, rural life still a struggle Updated: Oct-06-15 11:47 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - While North Korea prepares a big show to mark the 70th anniversary of the ruling Workers' Party, the daily struggles of life outside the capital - such as finding clean running water and putting nutritious food on the table year-round - pose a harsh, but largely unseen, contrast to the grand celebrations the world will see Oct. 10.
- Spieth, Dustin Johnson partners in Presidents Cup Updated: Oct-06-15 11:43 pm
INCHEON, South Korea - Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson battled at Chambers Bay in the U.S. Open. They will be partners in South Korea at the Presidents Cup.
- US, Japan museums united on Missouri, Yamato battleships Updated: Oct-06-15 10:33 pm
HONOLULU - U.S. and Japanese museums are forming a partnership to preserve and promote the history of the battleship USS Missouri and the Japanese battleship Yamato.
- Hawaii Gov. David Ige travels to Japan and China Updated: Oct-06-15 9:34 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige is traveling to Japan and China to promote educational partnerships, energy cooperation and investment in Hawaii.
- Asian cinema masterpieces, ferry tragedy at Korean film fest Updated: Oct-06-15 8:40 pm
BUSAN, South Korea - South Korea's second-largest city is in a festive mood as the Busan Film Festival passes the midpoint.
- The Latest: Prosecutor: Ex-UN official implicated himself Updated: Oct-06-15 8:05 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on allegations that former United Nations General Assembly President Josh Ashe accepted bribes to help a Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople gain investments and government contracts (all times local):
- Ex-UN General Assembly head among 6 held in bribery scheme Updated: Oct-06-15 8:02 pm
NEW YORK - A former president of the United Nations General Assembly turned the world body into a "platform for profit" by accepting over $1 million in bribes from a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople to pave the way for lucrative investments, a prosecutor charged Tuesday.
- Chinese billionaire finds himself at center of a new scandal Updated: Oct-06-15 7:11 pm
NEW YORK - For the second time in three decades, a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul is central to a scandal over whether his money was used to buy influence in the United States.
- Colorado man gets probation in fossil importation case Updated: Oct-06-15 6:56 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A Colorado man has been sentenced to one year of probation for understating the value of fossils imported from China to the United States.
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification Updated: Oct-06-15 6:51 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - On a night of big games in Asia, Japan will be under the most pressure as a defeat to Syria in their 2018 World Cup qualifier on Thursday would cast doubt on its chances of making it to Russia.