- Indiana residents recount deadly earthquake in Nepal Updated: May-06-15 3:31 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Six Indiana residents were among those spared when a large earthquake struck in Nepal last month, leading to the deaths of at least 7,500 people.
- Family of US captive killed by drone backs hostage czar Updated: May-06-15 3:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The family of an American captive killed in a drone strike said Wednesday it would welcome the creation of a hostage czar to coordinate government efforts to free those held.
- Bollywood star Salman Khan sentenced to 5 years in 2002 case Updated: May-06-15 9:22 am
MUMBAI, India - One of India's biggest and most popular movie stars, Salman Khan, was sentenced to five years in jail Wednesday on charges of driving a vehicle over five men sleeping on a sidewalk and killing one in a hit-and-run case that has dragged for more than 12 years.
- Valparaiso student raises awareness, funds to aid Nepal Updated: May-06-15 9:16 am
VALPARAISO, Indiana - At 4 a.m. April 25, Valparaiso University student Sajana Shrestha received a phone call from friends that would change her world.
- Engineers inspect quake-damaged homes in Nepal's capital Updated: May-06-15 8:16 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - More than a thousand engineers were checking damaged houses in Nepal's capital Wednesday and advising people about whether they are safe.
- Nepal's earthquake highlights village exodus of the young Updated: May-06-15 3:20 am
KHADKA TOLE, Nepal - Gone, the girl says as she squints into the sun, the air around her shimmering with wind-blown wheat chaff. She points to one house after another nestled in the green hills, most shattered from the massive earthquake that hit Nepal last month.
- 1 Spaniard confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake, officials say Updated: May-05-15 9:50 am
Madrid - The Spanish Foreign Ministry says one Spaniard has died in the earthquake that devastated Nepal late last month.
- Climbers leave Everest after Sherpas refuse to rebuild route Updated: May-05-15 5:02 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Climbers who stayed in villages close to the Everest base camp are packing their gear and leaving the mountain because Sherpa guides have refused to rebuild a climbing route destroyed by the earthquake-triggered avalanche, mountaineering officials said Tuesday.
- Maine woman back home after Nepal earthquake stranded her Updated: May-04-15 5:41 pm
KENNEBUNK, Maine - A Maine woman is back home in Kennebunk after being stranded in Nepal for the last week after a devastating earthquake struck.
- Centenarian survives Nepal quake, worries he's testing fate Updated: May-04-15 10:44 am
BIDUR, Nepal - It was an unlikely escape. By his own account, he should have died. But when the humble hut of stacked grey stones collapsed onto Funchu Tamang, who believes himself to be 101 years old, his daughter-in-law quickly pulled him from the wreckage.
- The Latest on Nepal: EU approves millions in funding support Updated: May-04-15 10:13 am
7:45 p.m. (1400 GMT)
- Muted celebrations of Buddha's birthday in Nepal Updated: May-04-15 10:10 am
BIDUR, Nepal - Celebrations of Buddha's birthday in Nepal were muted on Monday, as the faithful turned their prayers to loved ones lost in the country's massive earthquake and worries that the tragedy might be the start of a much larger reckoning.
- UN official praises China's assistance to Nepal after quake Updated: May-04-15 8:55 am
BEIJING - The leader of the U.N. Development Program on Monday praised China's relief efforts in Nepal and said the country's importance to global development will only grow.
- Armed robber takes Nepal donations Updated: May-04-15 8:28 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Police in St. Paul are looking for a man who robbed a small grocery store and took donations collected for Nepal earthquake victims.
- Ferndale woman plans to go to Nepal to help with relief Updated: May-04-15 4:13 am
FERNDALE, Michigan - Thousands of people are trying to leave Kathmandu, Nepal - scared of staying too close to the recent earthquake's epicenter.
- Nepal's wrenching choices: 'I feel like I could die anytime' Updated: May-03-15 11:26 pm
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Four days after the earthquake ripped apart the supporting wall attaching her ancient brick house to the tilting seven-story building next door, Parbati Gautam moved back in.
- Omaha crash kills Berkshire Hathaway investor from India Updated: May-03-15 4:49 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - An investor from India who attended Berkshire Hathaway's annual meeting Saturday has died in a two-vehicle crash, and three other people were hospitalized with injuries.
- Rebels kill 8 Indian paramilitary soldiers Updated: May-03-15 3:59 pm
GAUHATI, India - Police say suspected rebels have ambushed and killed eight Indian paramilitary soldiers in insurgency-wracked northeast.
- Rescuers find 3 survivors in Nepal days after quake Updated: May-03-15 8:05 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Rescuers have found three survivors in a mountainous village in Nepal, several days since the earthquake, an official said Sunday.
- Quake hobbles Nepal, so villagers fend for selves Updated: May-03-15 5:56 am
POKHARIDANDA, Nepal - Knock-kneed children drag scavenged sleeping mats into tarpaulin tents. Grandmothers clear rocks from demolition sites once called homes. And prodigal sons who rushed home to comfort their mothers are building new structures to shelter them from the rain.
- 'Nepali' or 'Nepalese'? A linguist chimes in Updated: May-03-15 4:02 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - What is the difference between the words "Nepali" and "Nepalese"? Very little, it seems - even if the question has come up repeatedly in newsrooms since the April 25 earthquake.
- An elderly Nepali villager, and memories of the 1934 quake Updated: May-03-15 2:55 am
POKHARIDANDA, Nepal - He was 9 years old when he felt the earth tremble for the first time. He'd been out in a field, grazing his goats on wild grass below Nepal's snow-covered peaks.
- Damaged by deadly quake, fate of Nepal heritage unsure Updated: May-03-15 12:14 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Perched on a hilltop, the blue-rimmed eyes of Kathmandu's gold-spired Swayambhunath stupa have long stared silently across this sprawling city nestled in the Himalayan foothills.
- Maldives court orders opposition leaders detained Updated: May-02-15 4:04 pm
MALE, Maldives - A court in the Maldives on Saturday ordered three opposition leaders and 172 of their supporters detained further after they were arrested for violence during a protest demanding the president to resign and freedom for a jailed ex-president.
- Pakistan military says strikes kill 44 suspected militants Updated: May-02-15 11:49 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's military says airstrikes have killed 44 suspected militants in the tribal region near the Afghan border.