- US stocks edge higher in early trading; Goodyear gains Updated: Jul-29-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are opening slightly higher as Goodyear and other companies report strong results.
- Report says crash site of missing Lao helicopter found Updated: Jul-29-15 9:25 am
BANGKOK - Search teams in Laos have located the crash site of a Soviet-made Mi-7 Lao military helicopter that went missing this week with 23 people on board, the Southeast Asian country's state-run news agency reported Wednesday.
- Bach: Boston failed to deliver on 'promises' to USOC Updated: Jul-29-15 6:56 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - IOC President Thomas Bach said Boston was firmly to blame for its aborted bid for the 2024 Olympics, saying the city failed to deliver on "promises" made to U.S. Olympic leaders when they selected the Massachusetts capital as the American candidate for the games.
- Myanmar's democracy leader runs in Nov. 8 polls to keep seat Updated: Jul-29-15 6:25 am
THANLYIN, Myanmar - Myanmar's democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Wednesday registered for November elections to keep her seat in parliament and challenge the ruling military-backed party.
- Tokyo Olympic chief apologizes to IOC over stadium change Updated: Jul-29-15 5:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Japanese organizers apologized to the IOC on Wednesday over the scrapping of the original plans for the Olympic stadium and delivered assurances that the new venue will be ready in time for the 2020 Games.
- Japan-based advertising firm wins Olympic TV rights in Asia Updated: Jul-29-15 3:56 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The International Olympic Committee has awarded exclusive Olympic broadcast rights in 22 Asia-Pacific countries to Japan-based advertising agency Dentsu Inc.
- Star athletes pitch for Beijing, Almaty ahead of 2022 vote Updated: Jul-29-15 2:55 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Former NBA star Yao Ming and Sochi Olympic bronze medalist figure skater Denis Ten differ in height by exactly two feet. The towering basketballer is representing Beijing's bid for the 2022 Olympics, and the diminutive figure skater is boosting the bid from Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- If USOC finds a new city, Boston debacle could be forgotten Updated: Jul-28-15 8:45 pm
Embarrassing as the debacle in Boston may have been, chances are it will be nothing more than a distant memory when the vote for the 2024 Olympics finally rolls around.
- Angelina Jolie film paying tribute to land of her son Maddox Updated: Jul-28-15 12:46 pm
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodia helped Angelina Jolie become a film superstar and start a family. To tell the stories of people in the country that touched her, she is directing a Netflix film on location based on a memoir of the country's 1970s holocaust under the communist Khmer Rouge, blamed for the deaths of 1.7 million people.
- Taiwan, Thailand join deal to end tariffs on tech products Updated: Jul-28-15 12:19 pm
BERLIN - The World Trade Organization says Taiwan and Thailand have joined an agreement reached last week to abolish duties on more than 200 technology products.
- Malaysian PM axes deputy, attorney general amid fund scandal Updated: Jul-28-15 11:04 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, stung by allegations that he received some $700 million in government money, on Tuesday fired the attorney general who had been investigating him and a deputy who has been among his most prominent critics.
- Beijing bid faces same old questions ahead of 2022 IOC vote Updated: Jul-28-15 10:54 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Two of China's most storied winter Olympic athletes faced tough questions about Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Games - namely about air pollution and a lack of snow.
- Myanmar police seize over 26 million stimulant tablets Updated: Jul-28-15 8:37 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Police in Myanmar's largest city said Tuesday that they've seized more than 26 million stimulant tablets with a street value of over $100 million, in what appears to be the country's biggest such seizure ever.
- ADB ready to boost lending to Philippines by 66 percent Updated: Jul-28-15 7:22 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Asian Development Bank said Tuesday it is ready to boost lending to the Philippines by 66 percent to about $3 billion to support the country's infrastructure and development needs.
- IOC executive board recommends South Sudan gain recognition Updated: Jul-28-15 6:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC executive board recommended Tuesday that South Sudan be granted Olympic recognition, a step that would allow the world's newest nation to send a team to next year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Loss-making AirAsia X aims to be profitable by year-end Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X said Tuesday it expects to return to operational profit by the end of the year and is open to foreign investment.
- IOC urges US to come up with another bid city for 2024 Games Updated: Jul-28-15 2:04 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - With Boston no longer in contention, IOC President Thomas Bach urged U.S. Olympic leaders on Tuesday to pick "the most appropriate city" as a substitute candidate for the 2024 Games. Two-time Olympic host Los Angeles could fit the bill perfectly, according to several IOC board members.
- Thailand remains blacklisted by US for human trafficking Updated: Jul-28-15 1:25 am
BANGKOK - Thai authorities are upset about being blacklisted by the U.S. for the second year in a row for failing to do enough to combat modern-day slavery.
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Papua province Updated: Jul-28-15 12:07 am
JAYAPURA, Indonesia - A strong earthquake struck Indonesia's easternmost province of Papua early Tuesday panicking people with at least one teenager missing after possibly drowning in a river. Several buildings and houses were either destroyed or damaged.
- Worldwide strengthening El Nino giveth and taketh away Updated: Jul-27-15 4:37 pm
WASHINGTON - In California, they're counting on it to end an historic drought; in Peru, they've already declared a pre-emptive emergency to prepare for devastating flooding. It's both an economic stimulus and a recession-maker. And it's likely to increase the price of coffee, chocolate and sugar.
- John Kerry travels to Mideast then Southeast Asia next week Updated: Jul-27-15 3:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry travels to the Mideast next week and then Asia, including a stop in Vietnam.
- Philippine leader seeks laws to end rebellion, dynasties Updated: Jul-27-15 10:22 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine president asked Congress on Monday to pass a troubled Muslim autonomy bill at the heart of efforts to end a bloody rebellion in the country's south and legislation that aims to lessen the stranglehold on power of entrenched political families, which include his.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- AP Exclusive: AP tracks slave boats to Papua New Guinea Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 am
YANGON, Myanmar - From space, the fishing boats are just little white specks floating in a vast stretch of blue water off Papua New Guinea. But zoom in and there's the critical evidence: Two trawlers loading slave-caught seafood onto a massive refrigerated cargo ship.
- Thai Airways suspends unprofitable US flights Updated: Jul-27-15 8:59 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's beleaguered national airline said Monday it will suspend flights to the U.S. as part of efforts to end years of losses.