- Thai police seek 10th suspect in deadly Bangkok bombing Updated: Sep-05-15 7:34 am
BANGKOK - Thai police said Saturday that they are looking for a 10th suspect in last month's bombing of a landmark in central Bangkok that killed 20 people.
- Thai court sentences 4 to life in prison over rally attack Updated: Sep-04-15 11:56 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court sentenced four men to life in prison on Friday for a grenade attack on a political rally in Bangkok last year that killed three people, including two children, and injured 21 others.
- Indonesia drops high-speed train plan, chooses slower option Updated: Sep-04-15 9:12 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia has dropped its plan to build a high-speed train line and is shifting instead to more economical medium-speed technology, a Cabinet minister said Friday.
- The Latest on Bangkok: Suspect is conspirator, not bomber Updated: Sep-04-15 4:20 am
BANGKOK - The latest on the investigation into the Aug. 17 bombing in the Thai capital (all times local):
- French investigators confirm wing part is from Flight 370 Updated: Sep-03-15 11:53 pm
PARIS - French investigators have formally identified a washed-up piece of airplane debris found in July on a remote island in the Indian Ocean as part of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a Boeing 777 that disappeared more than a year ago with 239 people aboard.
- Japan beats Cambodia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 5:29 pm
SAITAMA, Japan - Japan eased past Cambodia 3-0 to secure its first win in World Cup qualifying while South Korea thrashed Laos 8-0 to stay undefeated on Thursday.
- 2nd man charged in death of ex-officer's girlfriend in Texas Updated: Sep-03-15 3:40 pm
DALLAS - A man authorities say conspired with a former Austin police officer to kill the patrolman's pregnant girlfriend has been charged with capital murder.
- Boat carrying migrant workers capsizes off Malaysia; 14 dead Updated: Sep-03-15 10:10 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A wooden boat crammed with migrant workers who were headed back to Indonesia capsized Thursday off Malaysia's western coast, killing at least 14 people, a maritime official said.
- Image of Asia: Wildfires in Indonesia spread haze Updated: Sep-03-15 9:40 am
In this photo by Joshua Paul, a construction worker lights a cigarette against the hazy skyline in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Wildfires caused by illegal land clearing on Indonesia's Sumatra and Borneo islands often spread choking haze into neighboring countries, and several locations in western Malaysia registered unhealthy air quality Thursday. Last year, the Indonesian Parliament ratified an agreement with other Southeast Asian countries to more actively fight forest fires and haze. The country banned open burning in 1999 after the haze caused disputes with its neighbors, but enforcement is often lax.
- Indonesia extradites ex-police officer sought in US murder Updated: Sep-03-15 2:23 am
AUSTIN, Texas - A former Austin, Texas, police officer has been charged with capital murder in the death of his pregnant girlfriend, according to a federal affidavit unsealed Wednesday.
- Post-bomb Bangkok moves on, but with new sense of insecurity Updated: Sep-02-15 9:44 am
BANGKOK - One Bangkok resident says he can't shake the horrid sight of what he saw, or the smell of death. Another says the initial shock is gone and he's returned to his old routine - work, happy hour and taking selfies.
- Djokovic to play Nadal in exhibition match in Thailand Updated: Sep-02-15 3:41 am
BANGKOK, Thailand - The world's top-ranked player Novak Djokovic will play an exhibition match against longstanding rival Rafael Nadal in Thailand next month.
- A preview of new gear China's military showing off at parade Updated: Sep-02-15 1:10 am
BEIJING - When China rolls out its latest armaments Thursday for a lavish parade commemorating the defeat of Japan in World War II, defense experts and foreign armies will be watching closely for any revelations about new military capabilities.
- Correction: Financial Markets-Herd Mentality story Updated: Sep-01-15 5:49 pm
NEW YORK - In a story Aug. 31 about investors selling emerging-market investments, The Associated Press erroneously shortened the name of a fund that tracks commodity producers. The correct full name is the FlexShares Morningstar Global Upstream Natural Resources Index Fund.
- IMF head: Global growth likely to be weaker than expected Updated: Sep-01-15 10:39 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Global economic growth is likely to be weaker than earlier expected and will remain at moderate levels, the head of the International Monetary Fund said Tuesday.
- Rioters rampage against residence law in northeast India Updated: Sep-01-15 9:59 am
GAUHATI, India - Rioters set fire to the homes of seven lawmakers during a rampage to protest new legislation defining who can claim to be from the northeastern Indian state of Manipur, police said Tuesday.
- China parade draws Putin, but few other major world leaders Updated: Sep-01-15 9:18 am
BEIJING - Russian leader Vladimir Putin, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon shine at the top of China's guest list at this week's grand commemorations of the 70th anniversary of Japan's defeat in World War II. After them, the wattage gets pretty low.
- Press group urges Philippines to protect journalists Updated: Sep-01-15 6:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Committee to Protect Journalists urged Philippine President Benigno Aquino III on Tuesday to act to stop attacks against the press in the country after three journalists were killed recently.
- Singapore's ruling party in unprecedented electoral contest Updated: Sep-01-15 2:55 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore's political parties officially started campaigning Tuesday for general elections in which, for the first time in the island-nation's history, the ruling People's Action Party faces contests in all available seats.
- Australian, Thai journalists acquitted of defaming Thai navy Updated: Sep-01-15 12:23 am
PHUKET, Thailand - An Australian journalist and his Thai colleague were acquitted Tuesday in a criminal defamation lawsuit filed by Thailand's navy over an online news report about the trafficking of refugees from Myanmar.
- Filipino wins Magsaysay award for work to save ancient dance Updated: Aug-31-15 11:09 am
MANILA, Philippines - Amid the chimes of gongs, Ligaya Fernando Amilbangsa teaches a group of women and children the mystical moves of a centuries-old dance form she has struggled to save from oblivion in the Philippines' restive south.
- 5 Filipinos die in creek accident while on charity mission Updated: Aug-31-15 9:43 am
MANILA, Philippines - Five people on a charity mission drowned and another went missing after they were swept away by a sudden current while crossing a creek in the northern Philippines, officials said Monday.
- Thai police award themselves $84K for arrest of bomb suspect Updated: Aug-31-15 7:04 am
BANGKOK - With much fanfare, Thai police had offered an $84,000 reward for tips leading to arrests in the Bangkok bombing. On Monday, they handed out the cash - to themselves.
- Influential Christian sect ends protests in Philippines Updated: Aug-31-15 6:58 am
MANILA, Philippines - Thousands of members of a politically influential Christian sect on Monday ended five days of street protests that set off huge traffic jams in the Philippine capital and sparked outrage from motorists.
- Singapore softens ban on HIV-positive visitors Updated: Aug-31-15 3:13 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore said Monday it has lifted a two-decade ban on HIV-infected people from entering the country, but will limit their stay to a maximum of three months.