- Murder complaints filed over capsized Philippine ferry Updated: Jul-04-15 4:51 am
MANILA, Philippines - Police in a central Philippine city said Saturday that they have filed murder complaints against the owner and the crew of a ferry that capsized shortly after pulling out of port, leaving more than 50 people dead.
- Vietnam Communist Party chief to make first US visit Updated: Jul-03-15 8:29 pm
HANOI, Vietnam - The powerful head of Vietnam's Communist Party will travel to the United States for the first time next week, and said he expects President Barack Obama will visit Vietnam later this year.
- CAS explain how Vanessa-Mae cleared of Olympic ski race fix Updated: Jul-03-15 11:45 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Pop violinist Vanessa-Mae exploited weak International Ski Federation rules and got help from Alpine race officials "smitten" by her celebrity to qualify for the Sochi Olympics, according to sport's highest court.
- Could searchers' sonars have missed wreckage of Flight 370? Updated: Jul-03-15 11:14 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Amid rising frustrations over the expensive, so-far fruitless search for vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, experts are questioning the competence of the company in charge, including whether crews may have passed over the sunken wreckage without even noticing.
- China expresses displeasure with Turkey accepting Uighurs Updated: Jul-03-15 9:14 am
BEIJING - Beijing expressed displeasure with Turkey on Friday for accepting 173 ethnic Uighurs who fled China.
- Man tied to 2013 Myanmar hotel blast gets life in prison Updated: Jul-03-15 8:04 am
YANGON, Myanmar - A court in Myanmar on Friday sentenced a man linked to a 2013 bombing that wounded an American tourist in one of the country's most prestigious hotels to life imprisonment and hard labor.
- Bangkok-bound flight from China makes emergency landing Updated: Jul-03-15 7:16 am
BEIJING - A Bangkok-bound flight operated by a Chinese airline made an emergency landing Friday afternoon after an engine fire warning lit up, China Southern Airlines said.
- Thailand's only known MERS patient is virus-free Updated: Jul-03-15 6:53 am
BANGKOK - A 75-year-old Omani man who became Thailand's only known case of the often-deadly MERS virus was declared free of the illness by the Health Ministry on Friday.
- Malaysian premier denies he got $700 million from state fund Updated: Jul-03-15 4:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak on Friday denied news reports that nearly $700 million were funneled from an indebted state investment fund into his personal accounts.
- Asian women's teams show up male rivals Updated: Jul-03-15 1:17 am
SEOUL, South Korea - The contrast between the fortunes of Asia's women's soccer teams and their male equivalents could not be more striking.
- Indonesian suburb hit by plane disasters twice in 10 years Updated: Jul-02-15 8:16 pm
MEDAN, Indonesia - A decade ago, when an Indonesian passenger jet crashed into a quaint neighborhood in Indonesia's third-biggest city, Medan, Waktu Tarigan thought he'd never witness anything like that again. He was wrong.
- Bill Clinton visits Vietnam to mark 20th anniversary of ties Updated: Jul-02-15 12:35 pm
HANOI, Vietnam - For Bill Clinton, President Barack Obama's announcement this week of plans to resume diplomatic relations with Cuba must have stirred memories. It was 20 years ago this month that Clinton pulled off a similar diplomatic and political success, normalizing relations with Vietnam.
- 173 Uighur refugees arrive in Turkey from Thailand Updated: Jul-02-15 11:14 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A total of 173 people from the minority Chinese Muslim community of Uighurs have arrived in Turkey from Thailand, where they were being held after fleeing China, a Turkey-based Uighur group said Thursday.
- Russia dissatisfied with MH17 report by Dutch Safety Board Updated: Jul-02-15 10:46 am
MOSCOW - A draft Dutch report into last year's crash of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine fails to offer a comprehensive picture, a Russian aviation official said Thursday.
- A biker named 'Stray Dog' postpones Granik's Ozarks exit Updated: Jul-02-15 9:47 am
NEW YORK - Debra Granik met Ron "Stray Dog" Hall at a biker church in the Ozarks.
- The Latest on Philippines: Deaths revised to 35; 20 missing Updated: Jul-02-15 8:35 am
MANILA, Philippines - The latest on the ferry sinking in the Philippines (all times local):
- 2 former Khmer Rouge leaders appeal convictions Updated: Jul-02-15 6:55 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - The two surviving senior leaders of Cambodia's former Khmer Rouge regime launched appeals Thursday of their convictions by a U.N.-backed tribunal that sentenced them to life in prison for their roles during the group's brutal rule in the 1970s.
- Southeast Asia to set up fund to help boat people Updated: Jul-02-15 6:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Southeast Asian countries will establish a humanitarian fund to help boatloads of Rohingya Muslim and Bangladeshi immigrants who have recently landed in Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand, a Malaysian minister said Thursday.
- Crashed Indonesian plane may have suffered engine problem Updated: Jul-02-15 3:55 am
MEDAN, Indonesia - The aging Indonesian military transport plane that crashed into a residential neighborhood of Medan killing 141 people had a propeller "abnormality" that indicates an engine stalled, the air force chief said Thursday.
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash Updated: Jul-01-15 10:47 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The team investigating last year's crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine has prepared a draft final report and given it to countries involved in the probe for their comments.
- The Latest on Indonesia: Search for plane crash victims ends Updated: Jul-01-15 6:07 am
MEDAN, Indonesia - The latest on the Indonesian military plane crash (all times local):
- Thailand arrests 2 alleged brokers who sent slaves to boats Updated: Jul-01-15 6:01 am
BANGKOK - Two Thai men described as key figures in a human trafficking ring that provides slave crews for fishing boats were arrested, officials said Wednesday, as new regulations aimed at cracking down on illegal fishing took effect.
- Myanmar fisherman goes home after 22 years as a slave Updated: Jul-01-15 1:46 am
TUAL, Indonesia - All he did was ask to go home.
- How to help fishermen rescued from slavery at sea in SE Asia Updated: Jul-01-15 1:07 am
Aid groups are working to support and settle hundreds of men rescued from slavery at sea in Southeast Asia. The money will be used to help victims seek justice and rebuild lives.
- Myanmar fisherman goes home after 22 years as a slave Updated: Jul-01-15 12:57 am
TUAL, Indonesia - All he did was ask to go home.