- Thai court issues warrant for suspect in second bomb blast Updated: Aug-27-15 10:47 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for an unnamed suspect in a riverside blast that occurred a day after the bombing of a shrine in central Bangkok which killed 20 people.
- US stocks open higher after Chinese market surges Updated: Aug-27-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are opening higher after China's main stock index logged its biggest gain in eight weeks. A report also showed that the U.S. economy expanded at a much faster pace than previously estimated.
- In talks, Muslim rebels seek independence in south Thailand Updated: Aug-27-15 8:28 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Muslim militant leaders in talks with Thai authorities to end a deadly insurgency said Thursday they are seeking an independent state and are ready to negotiate a solution.
- Report into cause of MH17 crash to be published Oct. 13 Updated: Aug-27-15 7:43 am
AMSTERDAM - The long-awaited conclusions of an international investigation into the cause of the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 will be published Oct. 13, the panel conducting the probe announced Thursday.
- China jails 45 on terror-related charges in Xinjiang region Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Chinese courts in the restive, western region of Xinjiang have jailed 45 people on terrorism-related charges, including 18 convicted of organizing illegal border crossings, state-run media reported Thursday.
- Philippine economy grew 5.6 pct in the second quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:13 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine economy grew by 5.6 percent in the second quarter from a year ago, slightly below the government's target, officials said Thursday.
- Forbes: Mall tycoon Henry Sy tops Philippines' rich list Updated: Aug-26-15 11:48 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Property, retail and banking tycoon Henry Sy whose conglomerate owns the chain of SM Supermalls in his country and China has retained the title of the Philippines' richest person for the eight consecutive year, with his net worth up $1.7 billion from last year to $14.4 billion.
- Suu Kyi: Myanmar rebels should think carefully on peace deal Updated: Aug-26-15 9:40 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's popular opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is urging armed ethnic minority groups to think carefully before signing a nationwide cease-fire agreement, a top party colleague said, a position that pits her against President Thein Sein, who has made reaching a deal before November elections his top priority.
- Ex-US Marine murder suspect dies in Philippine jail Updated: Aug-26-15 11:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - A former U.S. Marine facing double murder charges in the Philippines has died of a heart attack in a northern city jail, police said Wednesday.
- Philippines seeks US help to protect troops in disputed sea Updated: Aug-26-15 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine defense chief said he asked the visiting U.S. Pacific commander on Wednesday to help protect the transport of Filipino troops and supplies to Philippine-occupied reefs in the disputed South China Sea by deploying American patrol planes to discourage Chinese moves to block the resupply missions.
- Search for MH370 may ramp up soon with new sonar equipment Updated: Aug-26-15 7:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said Wednesday.
- Thailand destroys more than 2 tons of illegal ivory Updated: Aug-26-15 6:25 am
BANGKOK - Thai authorities destroyed more than 2 tons of seized and smuggled ivory Wednesday, in the latest move by the government to avoid possible economic sanctions over a perceived failure to tackle the illicit trade.
- Review: 'No Escape' is taut but deeply troubled Updated: Aug-25-15 10:25 pm
Not since Saigon in the 1970s has an American operation in Southeast Asia been as ill-conceived as "No Escape," a taut, well-made and entirely dubious thriller.
- Ohio zoo sending endangered rhino to Indonesia to mate Updated: Aug-25-15 2:43 pm
CINCINNATI - An Ohio zoo that has the last Sumatran rhino in the United States announced plans Tuesday to send him to Southeast Asia on a mission to mate and help preserve his critically endangered species.
- Cambodian police seize 1.5 tons of pot, largest in 15 years Updated: Aug-25-15 9:55 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodian police said Tuesday they confiscated nearly 1.5 tons of marijuana in what they described as their biggest seizure of the drug since they started cracking down on it 15 years ago.
- Former U of M student detained in Thailand Updated: Aug-25-15 7:13 am
MINNEAPOLIS - A photojournalist who attended the University of Minnesota has been released on bail in Thailand where he was detained for possessing body armor and a helmet.
- Singapore to hold election Sept. 11 in test of ruling party Updated: Aug-25-15 6:34 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore will hold a general election on Sept. 11, the government announced Tuesday, in what is expected to be a tight contest for the ruling party that has dominated politics in the city-state for 50 years but is now facing growing disaffection among citizens.
- Probe of Bangkok bombing recalls bad reputation of police Updated: Aug-25-15 6:01 am
BANGKOK - Investigating a crime with little forensic evidence, no clear motive and no claim of responsibility - like the Bangkok bombing that killed 20 people - would challenge anyone. Yet the Royal Thai Police department is handicapped even in the best of circumstances by a legacy of corruption, brutality and political influence.
- Typhoon Goni damages buildings, drenches western Japan Updated: Aug-25-15 12:46 am
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon damaged buildings, tossed around cars and flooded streets in southwestern Japan on Tuesday before heading out to the Sea of Japan.
- How China's tremors could weaken the world's major economies Updated: Aug-24-15 6:40 pm
WASHINGTON - China is exporting something new to the world economy: Fear.
- US Marine admits choking transgender Filipino, denies murder Updated: Aug-24-15 10:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - A U.S. Marine charged with murder testified in court Monday that he choked a Filipino unconscious during a fight that started when he discovered that she was a transgender woman in a Philippine motel but stressed that he didn't kill her, his lawyer said.
- The Latest: Bangkok police say grenade unlinked to bombing Updated: Aug-24-15 4:56 am
BANGKOK - The latest on the bombings in the Thai capital (all times local):
- Malaysia finds 24 more bodies of human trafficking victims Updated: Aug-23-15 4:37 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police said Sunday that they have found 24 more bodies of suspected human trafficking victims in jungles bordering Thailand.
- Iran coach says Guam visa hassles nothing to do with soccer Updated: Aug-23-15 4:12 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Iran coach Carlos Queiroz says the frustrations faced by the tiny Pacific island of Guam in obtaining visas to travel to Tehran for a World Cup qualifier next month give just a glimpse of the problems long faced by his team in negotiating international soccer.
- Bombing the latest of many challenges for Thailand's junta Updated: Aug-22-15 8:37 pm
BANGKOK - When a military coup last year ended months of political turmoil and violence in Thailand, even some democracy advocates welcomed the junta's promise to restore stability and return "happiness to the people."