- Myanmar floods move downriver, risking more populated areas Updated: Aug-04-15 8:26 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Waters from badly flooded central and northern Myanmar were flowing down rivers to more populated areas, risking new devastation, relief officials warned Tuesday.
- EU, Vietnam agree deal for free trade pact Updated: Aug-04-15 8:02 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union and Vietnam clinched on Tuesday an agreement in principle on a new free trade deal that would see the lifting of most tariffs on goods.
- ASEAN wants China to stop work in disputed sea: official Updated: Aug-04-15 7:38 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Southeast Asian nations want China to stop land reclamation in the disputed South China Sea, a regional official said Tuesday, but China insisted it has a right to continue the activity.
- Kerry pushes Asia trade pact in Singapore Updated: Aug-04-15 2:37 am
SINGAPORE - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Tuesday for countries negotiating a major Pacific Rim trade deal to overcome differences that have stalled its conclusion.
- Investigators for missing Malaysia flight meet in Paris Updated: Aug-03-15 1:04 pm
PARIS - French and Malaysian investigators cleared their last hurdle before launching a probe that many hope will solve the mystery of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, meeting with a judge in Paris Monday after the arrival of a wing fragment that possibly belonged to the doomed aircraft.
- Malaysian agency: Money in Najib's accounts came from donors Updated: Aug-03-15 9:46 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's anti-corruption agency said Monday that $700 million in Prime Minister Najib Razak's personal bank accounts came from donations, not from a debt-ridden state investment fund.
- IOC ready to act if Olympic medals affected by doping Updated: Aug-03-15 3:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC will take action against any Olympic athletes if they are found guilty of the latest doping allegations rocking the sport of track and field, IOC President Thomas Bach said Monday.
- Sepp Blatter's term as IOC member ends Updated: Aug-03-15 2:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter's 16-year term as an International Olympic Committee member ended Monday when he did not seek re-election.
- Traditional Polynesian canoe Hokulea lands in Bali Updated: Aug-02-15 1:29 pm
HONOLULU - The traditional Polynesian voyaging canoe Hokulea arrived in Bali Thursday after the latest leg of its around-the-world journey.
- Myanmar's president visits area worst-hit by flooding Updated: Aug-02-15 12:02 pm
KALAY, Myanmar - Myanmar's president on Sunday visited one of the worst-hit areas of the flood-stricken country, saying that water levels are slowly receding and that he hopes people can soon return to their homes.
- IOC shakes up bid process for 2024 Summer Olympics Updated: Aug-02-15 10:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC shook up the bidding process for the 2024 Olympics on Sunday, eliminating the cut-down phase and clearing the way for all the candidates to make it to the final vote.
- Emotional scenes as South Sudan gains Olympic status Updated: Aug-02-15 9:22 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - With an Olympic flag draped around his neck, the official from South Sudan couldn't contain his emotion.
- More online, more on mobile: advertising executive to IOC Updated: Aug-02-15 5:32 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A leading advertising executive told the IOC on Sunday that the Olympic body needs to stay relevant with the younger generation and concentrate more of its content on the Internet and via mobile devices.
- USOC: 3 cities being contacted to replace Boston in 2024 bid Updated: Aug-01-15 8:35 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Olympic leaders have started contacting Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington about the possibility of bidding for the 2024 Games and believe the demise of Boston's candidacy will be "ancient history" by the time the host city is selected in 2017.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- Jolie, Suu Kyi visit Myanmar female factory workers Updated: Aug-01-15 4:01 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Angelina Jolie has joined Myanmar's opposition leader and democracy icon, Aung San Suu Kyi, in sitting down with female workers to learn more about their dire conditions.
- AP's Myanmar journalist Aye Aye Win retires after 25 years Updated: Aug-01-15 2:59 am
BANGKOK - Aye Aye Win, The Associated Press chief of bureau in Myanmar who told her country's story to the world despite threats, surveillance and official warnings, retired Saturday after 25 years with the news agency.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Kerry to push Malaysia on human trafficking during visit Updated: Jul-31-15 11:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry will push Malaysia to redouble its efforts against human trafficking during an upcoming visit for regional security talks, a senior State Department official said Friday.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Technical issues force 2 votes for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 10:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to decide the 2022 Winter Olympics host city should have taken about 10 minutes using tablet-like electronic devices. Instead, a technical glitch left 85 voting members of the International Olympic Committee using paper ballots to ultimately give Beijing the nod.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 8:15 am
BEIJING - Lion dancers swayed and confetti canons erupted Friday as news came that Beijing would become the first city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.