- Russian PM warns against foreign ground action in Syria Updated: Feb-12-16 5:43 am
MUNICH - Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has warned other nations against committing their troops to a ground action in Syria, saying it would only exacerbate the conflict.
- In meeting Pope Francis, patriarch asserts Russia's role Updated: Feb-12-16 4:08 am
MOSCOW - When Patriarch Kirill meets Pope Francis this week, the historic event will allow the head of the Russian Orthodox Church to assert Russia's leading role in the Eastern Christian world. It may also allow Kirill, a skillful political player with close ties to President Vladimir Putin, to open a new avenue of communication for the Kremlin as it tries to escape Western isolation.
- Czech National Museum in Prague hit by fire Updated: Feb-12-16 4:05 am
PRAGUE - Some 150 firefighters have extinguished a fire that damaged the roof and attic of the Czech National Museum in the capital, Prague.
- Williams beats Sevastova to reach semifinals of Taiwan Open Updated: Feb-12-16 3:00 am
KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan - Top-seeded Venus Williams beat Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia 7-5, 6-2 on Friday to advance to the semifinals of the Taiwan Open.
- Diplomats aim for temporary Syria truce in a week Updated: Feb-12-16 1:37 am
MUNICH - Diplomats trying to secure a cease-fire for the civil war in Syria fell short early Friday in organizing a truce but agreed to try to work out details and implement a temporary "cessation of hostilities" in a week's time. The deal appeared to be the result of a compromise between the United States, which had wanted an immediate cease-fire, and Russia, which had proposed one to start on March 1.
- The Latest: Kerry calls for genuine negotiation on Syria Updated: Feb-11-16 7:33 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria, the refugee crisis and security talks in Munich, Germany. (all times local):
- Deportation for man who concealed Bosnian war-era crimes Updated: Feb-11-16 6:53 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A man who came to the U.S. as a refugee from war-torn Bosnia almost two decades ago will be deported for concealing a long criminal past in his home country, including the killing of an elderly Serbian neighbor, a federal judge said Thursday.
- Kenya under investigation for breaching anti-doping code Updated: Feb-11-16 6:17 pm
Kenya is being investigated for breaching the world anti-doping code, WADA said Thursday, and could be declared non-compliant in a matter of weeks.
- Official unsure of where Iran's enriched uranium is stored Updated: Feb-11-16 5:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A State Department official told lawmakers Thursday he was unsure of the precise location of tons of low-enriched uranium shipped out of Iran on a Russian vessel as part of the landmark nuclear agreement.
- Troicki, Mahut to meet in Rotterdam quarterfinals Updated: Feb-11-16 5:26 pm
ROTTERDAM, Netherlands - Eighth-seeded Viktor Troicki made the quarterfinals of the World Tennis Tournament by defeating Hyeon Chung of South Korea 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Thursday.
- Wozniacki beaten by Cibulkova in St. Petersburg Updated: Feb-11-16 4:50 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Caroline Wozniacki was knocked out of the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy by Dominika Cibulkova 6-4, 7-5 after a heated dispute with the umpire over a mistaken call.
- Pentagon chief predicting 'tangible gains' in Iraq, Syria Updated: Feb-11-16 1:26 pm
BRUSSELS - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter predicted on Thursday that recent U.S.-led efforts to accelerate the fight against the Islamic State group would produce "tangible gains" in Iraq and Syria by March, even as coalition partners pledged to expand and deepen their military contributions.
- A look at what's next for the major players in Syria's war Updated: Feb-11-16 11:58 am
The U.S., Russia and more than a dozen other countries are meeting Thursday in Munich to discuss ways of ending the civil war in Syria, while forces of President Bashar Assad are making some of their biggest gains against the opposition.
- Putin praises Russian military over Crimea maneuvers Updated: Feb-11-16 9:45 am
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin says the Russian military in Crimea has proven its capability during war games this week.
- Poland approves child benefits to aid families, boost births Updated: Feb-11-16 9:14 am
WARSAW, Poland - Polish lawmakers passed a new child benefit scheme Thursday which will give monthly payments of 500 zlotys ($125) for all second and subsequent children in a family.
- Gut leads opening downhill training; Vonn 16th in Crans Updated: Feb-11-16 9:07 am
CRANS MONTANA, Switzerland - Challenging Lindsey Vonn for the overall World Cup title, Lara Gut of Switzerland led the opening training session on Thursday for a World Cup downhill.
- Russia's ruble tumbles amid market turmoil Updated: Feb-11-16 9:03 am
MOSCOW - Russia's ruble has dropped nearly 2 percent amid the turmoil affecting global stock markets and oil prices.
- Russian deputy prime minister barred from Montenegro Updated: Feb-11-16 8:14 am
PODGORICA, Montenegro - Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has been barred from entering Montenegro, which is facing strong pressure from the Kremlin for its plans to join NATO, the country's foreign ministry said Thursday.
- New center-right government in Latvia after resignation Updated: Feb-11-16 7:58 am
TALLINN, Estonia - Latvian lawmakers have approved the formation of a new center-right government following the resignation of the prime minister in December after disagreements over policy in the previous Cabinet.
- Russia proposes March 1 ceasefire in Syria; US wants it now Updated: Feb-10-16 10:14 pm
MUNICH - Russia has proposed a March 1 ceasefire in Syria, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but Washington believes Moscow is giving itself and the Syrian government three weeks to try to crush moderate rebel groups.
- Study finds Zika virus in fetal brain, a clue in outbreak Updated: Feb-10-16 6:22 pm
WASHINGTON - New details about the possible effects of the Zika virus on the fetal brain emerged Wednesday as U.S. health officials say mosquito eradication here and abroad is key to protect pregnant women until they can develop a vaccine.
- The Latest: Russia has held important talks with US on Syria Updated: Feb-10-16 4:03 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria and the tens of thousands of Syrians fleeing violence (all times local):
- NATO ministers approve new reinforcements for eastern Europe Updated: Feb-10-16 3:41 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO defense ministers on Wednesday approved new multinational reinforcements to beef up defenses of frontline alliance members most at risk from Russia, the alliance's secretary-general announced.
- IMF chief warns Ukraine over slow pace of reform Updated: Feb-10-16 2:47 pm
MOSCOW - The head of the International Monetary Fund warned Ukraine on Wednesday that the organization would be unable to keep supporting the country financially if it doesn't step up its reform efforts.
- CSKA Moscow signs Russia captain Roman Shirokov Updated: Feb-10-16 2:44 pm
MOSCOW - Russia captain Roman Shirokov joined CSKA Moscow on a free transfer on Wednesday until the end of the season.