- Letter from Hungary: Migrants seek EU's field of dreams Updated: Aug-30-15 1:50 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - On the edge of a Hungarian cornfield, the beam from a car's headlights reflects in their eyes: Europe's newest residents catching their breaths, fresh from evading border police.
- Hungary detains 5th suspect in truck deaths of 71 in Austria Updated: Aug-30-15 12:04 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - A fifth man suspected of being involved in the deaths of 71 migrants found in a truck in neighboring Austria has been detained, Hungarian police said Sunday.
- Pieters wins Czech Masters for 1st European Tour victory Updated: Aug-30-15 11:57 am
VYSOKY UJEZD, Czech Republic - Thomas Pieters shot a 3-under 69 on Sunday to win the Czech Masters by three strokes for his first European Tour victory.
- Hundreds of Russians protest destruction of demon sculpture Updated: Aug-30-15 10:20 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - About 500 people have held a protest in Russia's second-largest city over the destruction of a century-old bas-relief of the demon Mephistopheles.
- Poland's mixed feelings over memorial to rescuers of Jews Updated: Aug-30-15 9:01 am
WARSAW, Poland - As a Catholic Pole, Elka shouldn't even have been in the ghetto of Czestochowa, in southern Poland. But the nanny was so devoted to the 12-year-old Jewish boy she had raised since infancy that she refused to leave. She ended up being sent to the Treblinka death camp - where she was murdered with the Jews.
- Russia wins again at women's volleyball World Cup Updated: Aug-30-15 8:24 am
SENDAI, Japan - Unbeaten Russia kept up its ruthless form at the women's volleyball World Cup Sunday, beating South Korea in straight sets 25-20, 26-24, 25-22 in Sendai to remain top of the rankings with 17 points.
- Romanian govt examines video of man kidnapped in Africa Updated: Aug-30-15 7:44 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's Foreign Ministry says it is working to verify the authenticity of a video of a Romanian security worker pleading for help after being kidnapped by those with ties to the Islamic State group.
- Sandoval's back from European trade mission. What's next? Updated: Aug-29-15 12:26 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Gov. Brian Sandoval and more than 60 business, government and education officials recently returned from a three-week trade mission to England, Ireland, Germany, Poland and Italy. The visit included meetings with dignitaries, tours of car factories and receptions bringing together Nevada and European tourism officials.
- Russia denounces Latvian ban on news agency Updated: Aug-29-15 12:16 pm
MOSCOW - Russia says Latvia has refused permission to a Russian state news agency to open a bureau in the country - a case that Moscow says is open discrimination.
- Leaders discuss possible new Ukraine summit, France says Updated: Aug-29-15 11:37 am
BERLIN - The leaders of France, Germany and Russia have spoken by phone and are exploring the possibility of a summit with Ukraine's president about the conflict in the country's east.
- Second time around, Russian acrobat warmed up to Las Vegas Updated: Aug-29-15 9:41 am
LAS VEGAS - It was 1990, the ice of the Cold War was thawing, and Konstantin Besstchetnyi, a Soviet acrobat, was stuck in Las Vegas.
- Norwegian TV to air fictional series about Russian invasion Updated: Aug-29-15 8:08 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - In a move that has annoyed Russia, a Norwegian television channel says it will air a fictional TV drama depicting a Russian invasion of Norway after radical environmentalists seize power and freeze the Scandinavian nation's oil and gas industry.
- Carter's cancer rekindles memories of 1980 Olympic boycott Updated: Aug-29-15 3:13 am
ATLANTA - Thirty-five years after his hopes for a gold medal were dashed by Jimmy Carter's boycott of the Moscow Olympics, Craig Beardsley is at peace.
- Tallent takes shot at Russia after silver in 50K walk Updated: Aug-29-15 3:08 am
BEIJING - Already outspoken about doping in his sport, Australian race walker Jared Tallent took another shot at Russia after earning a silver medal in the 50-kilometer event Saturday at the world championships.
- Petra Kvitova Lucie Safarova advance to New Haven final Updated: Aug-28-15 10:32 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Second-seeded Petra Kvitova beat third-seeded Caroline Wozniacki 7-5, 6-1 on Friday night to reach the Connecticut Open final for the fourth consecutive year.
- Parliament group regrets Russian speaker's no show Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Inter-Parliamentary Union expressed regret Friday that the speaker of Russia's upper house of Parliament will not be attending a world congress at the United Nations next week, apparently because of issues with her visa to the United States.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Biden, Ukraine leader condemn attacks by pro-Russian forces Updated: Aug-28-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is criticizing pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine for threatening to take more territory and hold their own elections.
- Radar detects object believed to be missing Nazi gold train Updated: Aug-28-15 3:44 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish official said Friday he has seen an image made by ground-penetrating radar that seemed to prove the discovery of an armored Nazi train missing in southwestern Poland since World War II.
- Albania seizes 500,000 cannabis plants in major crackdown Updated: Aug-28-15 2:10 pm
TIRANA, Albania - Albanian authorities say they have confiscated about half a million cannabis plants this year, arresting 240 suspected growers and drug traffickers.
- Struggling Russia gets unexpected gold in 110-meter hurdles Updated: Aug-28-15 1:14 pm
BEIJING - Russian hurdler Sergey Shubenkov knows all about his country's doping scandals, he's just not paying any attention to it.
- More precise data makes tiny Estonia grow by 834 islands Updated: Aug-28-15 11:37 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Tiny Estonia just got a little bit bigger.
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania Updated: Aug-28-15 10:51 am
LISBON, Portugal - Miguel Veloso earned his first call-up in a year as Portugal coach Fernando Santos announced his 24-man squad for an exhibition game against France and a European Championship qualifying match in Albania.
- Poland to service Bulgaria's Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets Updated: Aug-28-15 10:46 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's defense ministry says the country has reached a preliminary agreement with Bulgaria to modernize the Balkan country's Soviet-era fleet of MiG-29 fighter jets.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.