- Thousands claim vote rigging by Serbia's ruling populists Updated: Apr-30-16 9:26 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Thousands of opposition supporters have protested in front of the Serbian state electoral commission against what their leaders are saying is widespread vote rigging by the ruling populists.
- Kremlin: Japan's PM Abe to visit Putin in Russia next week Updated: Apr-30-16 9:21 am
MOSCOW - The Kremlin has announced that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will visit Russia next week to meet with President Vladimir Putin, a step toward deepening relations overshadowed by a World War II territorial dispute.
- Rosberg on pole in Russia as Hamilton's engine fails again Updated: Apr-30-16 9:10 am
SOCHI, Russia - Formula One leader Nico Rosberg took pole position for the Russian Grand Prix while Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton was 10th after a car failure ended his qualifying session early on Saturday.
- Lucie Safarova wins Prague Open for 7th career WTA title Updated: Apr-30-16 9:03 am
PRAGUE - Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic came from a set down to win the Prague Open, overcoming Sam Stosur of Australia 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the final on Saturday.
- Polish firm cuts contracts with 2 stud farms amid turmoil Updated: Apr-29-16 6:13 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A private Polish company said it has ended its contracts with two well-known state-owned stud farms after managers were replaced by the government, highlighting the turmoil surrounding the farms that feature Arabian and other horses.
- Romania: police confiscate Byzantine coins from British man Updated: Apr-29-16 3:36 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian border police say they have confiscated 71 Byzantine coins from a British citizen traveling from Turkey to Romania.
- Formula One reaches deal on making engines cheaper Updated: Apr-29-16 2:26 pm
SOCHI, Russia - Formula One bosses have reached a deal to make engines cheaper and more standardized starting next season, which will help smaller teams, the FIA said Friday.
- Cyclist Yates can keep racing despite positive doping test Updated: Apr-29-16 1:17 pm
AIGLE, Switzerland - British cyclist Simon Yates can continue to race despite a positive doping test during the Paris-Nice race, the International Cycling Union said Friday.
- Belarus tennis player escapes punishment over meldonium Updated: Apr-29-16 12:15 pm
LONDON - A player from Belarus has escaped punishment after testing positive for meldonium, the same substance found in Maria Sharapova's sample at the Australian Open, the International Tennis Federation says.
- Cease-fire in east Ukraine set to begin on Orthodox Easter Updated: Apr-29-16 12:08 pm
MINSK, Belarus - The international envoy working to bring peace to eastern Ukraine says agreement has been reached to observe a cease-fire with the start of the Orthodox Easter and May Day holidays.
- The Latest: MSF says Syria hospital bombing killed 50 Updated: Apr-29-16 11:40 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on developments in Syria's civil war (all times local):
- Prominent Russian novelist attacked Updated: Apr-29-16 9:46 am
MOSCOW - The Kremlin's spokesman has denounced nationalist demonstrators who threw green liquid on a prominent Russian novelist.
- Russia's nuclear nightmare flows down radioactive river Updated: Apr-29-16 9:38 am
MUSLYUMOVO, Russia - At first glance, Gilani Dambaev looks like a healthy 60-year-old man and the river flowing past his rural family home appears pristine. But Dambaev is riddled with diseases that his doctors link to a lifetime's exposure to excessive radiation, and the Geiger counter beeps loudly as a reporter strolls down to the muddy riverbank.
- Poland again denies entry to nationalist Russian bikers Updated: Apr-29-16 9:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's foreign minister said Friday that "security regulations" were behind the decision to ban pro-Kremlin Russian bikers from riding through Poland as they mark the anniversary of the end of World War II.
- Russia's Mayak nuclear site has produced litany of disasters Updated: Apr-29-16 9:25 am
The remote Mayak nuclear facility is Russia's oldest and biggest center for manufacturing radioactive isotopes and reprocessing spent nuclear fuel from several nations. Here are some key moments in its history:
- Finnish report highlights Russian threat of NATO membership Updated: Apr-29-16 8:55 am
HELSINKI - Finland could expect "harsh" reactions from Russia if it decided to join NATO, but would be better off doing so together with neighboring Sweden, an expert panel told the Finnish government on Friday.
- Lavrov: Baltics show no gratitude for Moscow letting them go Updated: Apr-29-16 8:52 am
STOCKHOLM - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says the Baltic countries have shown no gratitude to Moscow for letting them "go in peace" after the Soviet Union collapsed.
- Albania's governing Socialists sue ex-premier Sali Berisha Updated: Apr-29-16 8:30 am
TIRANA, Albania - Albania's governing Socialist Party says they have sued former prime minister Sali Berisha for calling on citizens to arm themselves.
- The Latest: Albania stages exercise to prepare for migrants Updated: Apr-29-16 5:21 am
BERLIN - The Latest on Europe's response to migrants (all times local):
- Russia, China in agreement on North Korea, South China Sea Updated: Apr-29-16 3:21 am
BEIJING - Denouncing what they see as outside interference in the South China Sea and Korean Peninsula, the foreign ministers of Russia and China voiced mutual support Friday as they seek to counter the influence of Washington and its allies, particularly in Asia.
- UN says 9,333 killed since Ukraine conflict began Updated: Apr-28-16 7:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Nearly 10,000 people have been killed and more than 20,000 injured since the Ukraine conflict began in April 2014, a top U.N. official said Thursday.
- Liverpool suffers late loss to Villarreal in Europa League Updated: Apr-28-16 5:58 pm
MADRID - Liverpool conceded in injury time in losing to Villarreal 1-0 in the first leg of the Europa League semifinals on Thursday.
- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- Russian boxing champ Gradovich banned for doping Updated: Apr-28-16 12:24 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian anti-doping agency says former world boxing champion Evgeny Gradovich has been banned for two years for breaking anti-doping rules.
- Lawyer: extradition of Ukrainian pilot expected soon Updated: Apr-28-16 11:22 am
MOSCOW - Jailed Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko has been given forms to complete for extradition from Russia, one of her lawyers said Thursday.