- UN says Hungarian questionnaire risks spreading xenophobia Updated: May-22-15 9:34 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The United Nations human rights watchdog says it is "shocked" by a Hungarian government questionnaire which links migration with terrorism and fears it could bolster anti-immigration sentiments.
- Australia in Europe's Song Contest? In a word, yes. Updated: May-22-15 9:11 am
VIENNA - For the first time in its 60-year history, the Eurovision Song Contest may be won by - Australia.
- Kremlin spokesman: Russia wants to free 2 held in Ukraine Updated: May-22-15 8:58 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman says Moscow is making efforts toward the release of two Russians held in Ukraine, but has declined comment on claims that they are soldiers.
- Polish brown bear crosses borders, highway, seeking mate Updated: May-22-15 8:58 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish brown bear went a wooing, little knowing that scientists were following all the way.
- World Bank to lend Albania up to $1.2 billion over 5 years Updated: May-22-15 8:50 am
TIRANA, Albania - The World Bank has agreed to lend Albania up to $1.2 billion (1.08 billion euros) to support its public finances and invest in infrastructure.
- Dutch art sleuth helps German police track down Nazi art Updated: May-22-15 8:44 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch art sleuth best known for identifying works looted from Jewish owners by the Nazis said he helped German police recover two massive bronze horse sculptures crafted for Adolf Hitler, as more details emerged Friday about an amazing trove of Nazi-era art seized by authorities this week.
- Balkan countries in talks to help each other join the EU Updated: May-22-15 8:41 am
TIRANA, Albania - Foreign ministers from several Balkan countries are to meet in the Albanian capital Tirana to discuss regional cooperation in their efforts to join the European Union.
- Cameron: Tough times for EU ahead of UK membership vote Updated: May-22-15 8:38 am
- Endangered antelope dying off in vast numbers in Kazakhstan Updated: May-22-15 8:25 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Authorities in Kazakhstan says around one-third of the endangered saiga antelope population in this Central Asian nation has mysteriously died off in the last few days.
- US delegation to visit IOC next week for talks on Boston bid Updated: May-22-15 8:21 am
LONDON - Boston and U.S. Olympic leaders will travel to Switzerland next week to sound out the IOC about their struggling candidacy for the 2024 Summer Games amid a leadership shake-up at the top of the bid.
- Poland presidential vote could bring return to turbulence Updated: May-22-15 7:22 am
WARSAW, Poland - Presidential candidate Andrzej Duda is a new face in Polish politics, but he may herald a return to an older era when his right-wing party held power.
- Amnesty says torture of Ukraine war prisoners is rife Updated: May-22-15 6:59 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Both warring sides in eastern Ukraine are perpetrating war crimes almost daily, including torturing prisoners and summarily killing them, the Amnesty International rights group said in a report Friday.
- Merkel warns 'whole lot left' to do on Greece bailout talks Updated: May-22-15 6:49 am
RIGA, Latvia - With Greece facing a potential default in two weeks, German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday sought to add urgency to the talks between the country and its international creditors, warning that "very, very intensive work is still needed."
- EU, Ukraine sign $2 billion loan deal at Eastern summit Updated: May-22-15 6:12 am
RIGA, Latvia - The European Union offered more money and the promise of visa-free travel to some post-communist nations Friday in an East-West partnership that has tempered its ambitions after Russia's military intervention in Ukraine.
- Deputy Russia FM: Western Mideast policies 'short-sighted' Updated: May-22-15 4:59 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - A deputy Russian foreign minister says external players cannot solve the Syria crisis and that "short-sighted'" Western policies in the Middle East have helped destabilize countries such as Syria, Iraq and Libya.
- US presses Israel on talks for Middle East nuclear-free zone Updated: May-21-15 8:25 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States has sent a top official to Israel amid an effort to revive talks on a Middle East zone free of nuclear weapons, a central issue of a landmark treaty review conference that some fear will end Friday without progress on global disarmament.
- Lokomotiv Moscow wins Russian Cup Updated: May-21-15 5:45 pm
ASTRAKHAN, Russia - Lokomotiv Moscow won the Russian Cup on Thursday, defeating Kuban Krasnodar 3-1 in extra time to lift its first trophy for eight years.
- Prince to miss beginning of WNBA season to play for Russia Updated: May-21-15 4:20 pm
NEW YORK - New York Liberty guard Epiphanny Prince will miss perhaps the first month of the WNBA season to try to help Russia qualify for next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Macedonian premier's plane makes emergency landing Updated: May-21-15 2:35 pm
SKOPJE, Macedonia - Macedonian officials say a government jet carrying Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski back from talks in Strasbourg has made an emergency landing in Zurich after suffering decompression in the air.
- SportAccord's Vizer issues 20-point plan for talks with IOC Updated: May-21-15 2:07 pm
LONDON - As more sports cut ties with his umbrella association, SportAccord chief Marius Vizer issued a 20-point plan Thursday for discussions with the IOC - including prize money for Olympic athletes and a 50 percent stake for federations in the new Olympic television channel.
- Poland soccer chief Boniek wants World Cup taken from Russia Updated: May-21-15 1:02 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland football federation president Zbigniew Boniek says FIFA should be able to take the 2018 World Cup away from Russia because of conflict in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian officer hit with 3rd charge in Russia Updated: May-21-15 12:32 pm
MOSCOW - A third charge has been filed against a Ukrainian military officer who has been behind bars in Moscow for nearly a year over the deaths of two Russian journalists in Ukraine.
- Cross-dressing diva Conchita Wurst to Putin: Let's hang out Updated: May-21-15 12:32 pm
- Sweden scrambles fighters to intercept Russian bombers Updated: May-21-15 12:08 pm
STOCKHOLM - Sweden says it has scrambled fighter jets to intercept two Russian military planes flying near the country's airspace over the Baltic Sea.
- IMF upgrades Russia growth outlook Updated: May-21-15 10:34 am
MOSCOW - The International Monetary Fund predicts a less severe recession for Russia and says the country's economy will return to growth in a "mild recovery" next year.