- Some Alaska Natives allowed visa-free travel to Russian area Updated: Jul-31-15 5:43 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Some western Alaska Natives can again be travel back and forth to Russia's Chukota region without a visa under a decades-old agreement that was recently revived.
- Appeals court affirms conviction of woman in hot sauce case Updated: Jul-31-15 4:34 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - An Alaska appeals court has affirmed the conviction of an Anchorage woman whom prosecutors said used a videotape of herself punishing her son to try to get on the "Dr. Phil" show.
- Russian Orthodox Church pushes for control over St. Isaac's Updated: Jul-31-15 2:49 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The Russian Orthodox Church on Friday defended its controversial bid to fully take over St. Petersburg's landmark St. Isaac's Cathedral, saying it's in line with the law and wouldn't hamper tourist access.
- Litvinenko widow accuses Putin of ordering husband killing Updated: Jul-31-15 12:31 pm
LONDON - Nine years after former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko drank radioactive tea at a London hotel, an inquiry into his death ended Friday with his widow claiming President Vladimir Putin ordered the killing - and Moscow accusing Britain of politicizing the probe.
- Roche drug maker probed in Romanian graft case Updated: Jul-31-15 12:11 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Swiss pharmaceuticals company Roche confirmed Friday it is being investigated by anti-corruption prosecutors looking for evidence that drug companies offered doctors vacations and other incentives in exchange for prescribing cancer drugs.
- Franklin, Ledecky are workhorses of US swim team at worlds Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky are the workhorses of the U.S. team at the world swimming championships.
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Jul-31-15 11:41 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Russia's central bank cuts key interest rate Updated: Jul-31-15 10:10 am
MOSCOW - The Russian central bank cut its key interest rate by 0.5 percentage points to 11 percent on Friday, bowing to the pressure of businesses to make lending more accessible.
- Russia's Sochi mooted as host for 2024 Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The man who organized last year's Winter Olympics in Sochi is pushing for the Russian city to host the 2024 Summer Games.
- Polish plan to honor Portuguese-run supermarket sparks anger Updated: Jul-31-15 9:46 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's government has postponed plans to bestow a top honor on the Portuguese businessman who runs popular discount supermarket chain Biedronka after a public outcry over the company's alleged exploitation of workers.
- Mutko set to take control of Russian football union Updated: Jul-31-15 9:41 am
MOSCOW - Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko is expected to take control of the country's football association.
- Hungarian minister: over 100,000 migrants so far in 2015 Updated: Jul-31-15 8:50 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - More than 100,000 migrants have reached Hungary so far this year, nearly all of them entering through its southern border with Serbia, the Hungarian foreign minister said Friday.
- Top seeds Pavlyuchenkova, Knapp move into Baku Cup semis Updated: Jul-31-15 7:38 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - To take their seeded place in the Baku Cup final, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia and Karin Knapp of Italy will have to pass two first-time semifinalists on the WTA tour.
- Austria turns back US troops over arms in luggage Updated: Jul-31-15 7:26 am
VIENNA - Austrian officials say legal authorities recently turned back nine U.S. soldiers en route to Ukraine from Washington after finding weapons in their luggage without the proper permits to transport them through Austria.
- Lausanne awarded 2020 Winter Youth Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 5:59 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Swiss city of Lausanne has been awarded the Winter Youth Olympics for 2020, beating Brasov, Romania, in a vote by International Olympic Committee members.
- Ukraine will try again for downed plane tribunal Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister said Thursday that the five countries investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago will try again to get U.N. Security Council approval for an international tribunal to prosecute the alleged perpetrators.
- FSB: US, Georgia helped prevent attacks at Sochi Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 5:58 pm
MOSCOW - The head of Russia's domestic security agency says the United States, Georgia and several Western European countries helped prevent terrorist attacks during last year's Winter Olympics.
- Russia beats US for synchro mixed duet gold at worlds Updated: Jul-30-15 3:09 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Scissor-kicking to "Swan Lake" in front of a cheering home crowd, Russia's synchronized swimmers rallied to overtake the United States for gold in mixed duet free at the world championships.
- US fine-tunes sanctions on Russia over Ukraine Updated: Jul-30-15 2:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration moved Thursday to update and fine-tune sanctions on Russia, pro-Russian companies and people over the conflict in Ukraine.
- North Korea wins 1st world aquatics gold with diving victory Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
KAZAN, Russia - North Korea won its first gold medal at the world aquatics championships through 16-year-old Kim Kuk Hyang in women's 10-meter diving on Thursday.
- Russia to upgrade air defense missiles intended for Iran Updated: Jul-30-15 1:13 pm
MOSCOW - A Kremlin official says that Russia is working to upgrade air defense missiles intended for Iran.
- Kremlin says Russia and France agree on refund for Mistral Updated: Jul-30-15 12:55 pm
MOSCOW - A Kremlin aide says Russia and France have agreed on a refund amount for an undelivered French warship.
- Serbia lottery chief resigns in live ticket draw scandal Updated: Jul-30-15 12:31 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - The head of Serbia's state lottery resigned on Thursday following allegations of fraud during a live ticket draw this week.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.