- Letter calls for candidates for next UN chief by spring Updated: Nov-25-15 7:43 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A draft letter from the presidents of the Security Council and the General Assembly calls for candidates to replace Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to declare their interest next spring and for the next U.N. chief to be selected by September or October in order to have sufficient time to prepare for the critically important job.
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City Updated: Nov-25-15 6:36 pm
PARIS - Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrated his return to his first senior club with a goal as Paris Saint-Germain advanced to the knockout phase of the Champions League on Wednesday while Juventus claimed top spot to qualify from Group D with a 1-0 win over Manchester City.
- Ronaldo stars as Real Madrid beats Shakhtar 4-3 Updated: Nov-25-15 5:21 pm
LVIV, Ukraine - Cristiano Ronaldo scored two goals and set up two more as Real Madrid weathered a late Shakhtar Donetsk revival to win 4-3 in the Champions League on Wednesday.
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow Updated: Nov-25-15 5:02 pm
KHIMKI, Russia - Andre Schuerrle scored one goal and made the other as Wolfsburg beat CSKA Moscow 2-0 on Wednesday in the Champions League.
- 6 Europa League clubs face UEFA sanctions for late payments Updated: Nov-25-15 4:33 pm
NYON, Switzerland - Europa League runner-up Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk is among six clubs facing UEFA sanctions for late payments under Financial Fair Play rules.
- Putin sends air-defense missiles to Syria to deter Turkey Updated: Nov-25-15 4:05 pm
MOSCOW - In a move raising the potential threat of a Russia-NATO conflict, Russia said Wednesday it will deploy long-range air defense missiles to its base in Syria and destroy any target that may threaten its warplanes following the downing of a Russian military jet by Turkey.
- The Latest: UK envoy: Jet downing must spur end to Syria war Updated: Nov-25-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest on the war in Syria, including a Russian warplane shot down by Turkey. All times local:
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.
- Biden meets Balkan leaders at summit on refugees, threats Updated: Nov-25-15 2:22 pm
ZAGREB, Croatia - Former Balkan rivals on Wednesday pledged joint efforts with the United States and the European Union in protecting European borders from a record surge of asylum-seekers amid fears that Islamic militants may have infiltrated the flow.
- As border checks return in Europe, economic costs loom Updated: Nov-25-15 1:48 pm
LONDON - Queues, bottlenecks and security checks - their return in Europe could have a sizeable economic impact if they become entrenched in the wake of the attacks in Paris and the unprecedented flow of refugees from conflict zones like Syria.
- Hungary suspects detained last week not Islamic radicals Updated: Nov-25-15 1:17 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Six suspects detained last week by police in two separate cases are not Islamic extremists but are still dangerous, Hungarian lawmakers said Wednesday.
- The Latest: Canadian PM slows down Syrian resettlement Updated: Nov-25-15 12:46 pm
ZAGREB, Croatia - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Coe faces difficult questions at IAAF meeting Updated: Nov-25-15 12:40 pm
MONACO - Sebastian Coe's first few months as president of track and field's governing body could hardly have been any rougher.
- Polish minister: Country against further gas emission cuts Updated: Nov-25-15 12:20 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new environment minister said Wednesday he is against further cuts in carbon gas emissions, a key topic during climate talks next week in Paris.
- Ukraine stops buying Russian gas, closes airspace Updated: Nov-25-15 11:41 am
MOSCOW - Tensions between Russia and Ukraine escalated Wednesday as Ukraine decided to stop buying Russian natural gas - hoping to rely on supplies from other countries - and closed its airspace to its eastern neighbor.
- Lithuania leads way in reducing Russia's clout in energy Updated: Nov-25-15 11:36 am
KLAIPEDA, Lithuania - Andrius Petraitis watches the flickering blue flame on his cooker and sighs with relief. This winter, he won't have to worry about supplies of gas for heating or cooking.
- Appeals court hearing starts in Romania for ex-prison chief Updated: Nov-25-15 11:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - An appeals court hearing has started in Romania for a former communist prison chief, who was sentenced in a lower court to 20 years in prison for crimes against humanity.
- Czechs arrest Turkish national wanted for terror links Updated: Nov-25-15 11:20 am
PRAGUE - Officials say Czech police have arrested a Turkish national who is wanted by Interpol for alleged links to terrorism.
- New Polish gov't reopens questions about 2010 plane crash Updated: Nov-25-15 10:18 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new conservative ruling party has shut down government websites that carried the findings of an investigation into the 2010 plane crash that killed President Lech Kaczynski, reopening debate over a disaster overshadowed by conspiracy theories.
- Olympic marathoner Shmyrko banned for doping in Ukraine Updated: Nov-25-15 9:56 am
MOSCOW - Ukrainian marathon runner Tetyana Shmyrko has been banned for four years for a doping offense.
- Romania suspends emergency chiefs after nightclub fire Updated: Nov-25-15 8:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's Interior Ministry suspended three top emergency officials Wednesday following information that contradicted their claim they were unaware of the existence of a Bucharest nightclub where 60 people died in a fire.
- Dynamo Kiev gets empty stadium order for racist fan attacks Updated: Nov-25-15 8:05 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA ordered Dynamo Kiev to play two home games in an empty stadium after racist attacks on fans at a Champions League match.
- Hungary to issue bonds in yuan to attract Chinese investors Updated: Nov-25-15 7:46 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary says it will issue government bonds denominated in yuan together with the Bank of China in the hope of attracting more Asian investors.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Moldova says 3 citizens on helicopter ambushed by Taliban Updated: Nov-25-15 4:51 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Moldova's interior minister on Wednesday said that three citizens were on a helicopter ambushed by Taliban insurgents in northwestern Afghanistan.