- Cuba submits latest draft UN resolution against US embargo Updated: Oct-09-15 6:06 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The latest draft United Nations resolution urging the United States to end its economic embargo on Cuba has appeared - and it points out President Barack Obama's commitment to end the policy.
- $2M bail set for diplomat charged in UN bribery case Updated: Oct-09-15 5:56 pm
NEW YORK - Over a prosecutor's objection, bail was set at $2 million Friday for a Dominican Republic diplomat arrested in a bribe-related criminal case that also landed a former president of the United Nations General Assembly behind bars.
- Official: Lottery scam linked to killing of Jamaica family Updated: Oct-09-15 5:55 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Attackers killed six members of the same family and set their clapboard home on fire in northern Jamaica, and the island's security minister on Friday linked the massacre to the island's international lottery scam crime rings.
- Dominican merchants close border market amid Haiti goods ban Updated: Oct-09-15 4:22 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Merchants in the Dominican Republic have shuttered the biggest border market for trade with Haiti amid that country's ban on some goods entering overland.
- UN high post, ensnared in alleged bribe case, ripe for risk Updated: Oct-09-15 2:31 pm
UNITED NATIONS - This is how a former president of the U.N. General Assembly, arrested this week in an alleged bribery scheme, paid himself, the criminal complaint says: John Ashe accepted more than $3 million from foreign governments and individuals, signed checks to himself and wrote on them "Salary."
- Deputies make cockfighting bust in St. Martin Parish Updated: Oct-09-15 8:20 am
BREAUX BRIDGE, Louisiana - Sheriff's deputies say three St. Martin Parish residents have been arrested for cockfighting.
- UN wants another year for Haiti peacekeeping mission Updated: Oct-08-15 10:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. secretary-general is recommending that the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti stay for another year - which might be its final one.
- NTSB: Navy will find sunken ship, locate key data recorder Updated: Oct-08-15 8:03 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - U.S. safety investigators say the U.S. Navy soon will set out to find the cargo ship sunk in Hurricane Joaquin and locate a data recorder critical to determining why it went down.
- Latin America rolls out red carpet for once-scorned IMF Updated: Oct-08-15 5:17 pm
LIMA, Peru - The last time the IMF held its annual meetings in Latin America, Ernesto "Che" Guevara was trying to spread Cuba's revolution throughout the hemisphere and much of the region was under the thumb of repressive dictatorships.
- 5th Maine Maritime Academy graduate was aboard El Faro Updated: Oct-08-15 1:15 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A fifth Maine Maritime Academy alumnus was a member of the crew of a cargo ship that stalled and sank in the winds of Hurricane Joaquin, according to the school.
- Haiti voters grapple with packed field for presidency Updated: Oct-08-15 11:44 am
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Cities and towns across Haiti are plastered with colorful campaign ads, leaving voters struggling to differentiate a swarm of candidates who grin from posters, banners and billboards slapped on nearly everything that doesn't move and a few that do.
- Scientists: Major coral bleaching crisis spreads worldwide Updated: Oct-08-15 10:10 am
WASHINGTON - The bleaching of colorful coral is spreading into a worldwide, devastating crisis, scientists say, and they predict it will likely get worse.
- Finding recorder key to solving the sinking of cargo ship Updated: Oct-08-15 5:01 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Investigators trying to determine why a 790-foot cargo ship stalled and sank in the howling winds of Hurricane Joaquin will be searching for a brightly colored device bolted to the deck and pinging away in the blackness and pressure of the 15,000-foot-deep sea.
- US official: Ending embargo of Cuba will take time Updated: Oct-07-15 11:10 pm
HAVANA - U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker wrapped up her visit to Cuba on Wednesday by saying both sides need to learn more about each other as they work to improve relations.
- Flores scores in 82nd minute, Costa Rica ties Haiti 1-1 Updated: Oct-07-15 9:26 pm
COMMERCE CITY, Colorado - Dylan Flores scored in the 82nd minute and Costa Rica tied Haiti 1-1 on Wednesday night in their Group B finale in the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- The Latest: Coast Guard calls off search for missing crew Updated: Oct-07-15 7:53 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The latest on a U.S.-based cargo ship that sank in the Atlantic and the search for crew members. All times local:
- IMF sees recession for Latin America on commodities shock Updated: Oct-07-15 6:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - Latin America's economy is likely to go into recession this year for the first time since the end of the global financial crisis as China's slowdown lessens demand for the region's commodities, threatening to undo recent progress in reducing poverty, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
- Senate OKs massive defense bill, sends measure to Obama Updated: Oct-07-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Wednesday sent President Barack Obama a sweeping $612 billion defense policy bill that he has threatened to veto over an ongoing battle between Democrats and Republicans about government spending.
- US: Afghan at Guantanamo who faced trial can now be released Updated: Oct-07-15 2:07 pm
MIAMI - A U.S. government review board has decided that an Afghan prisoner at Guantanamo who once faced trial by military commission can now be released from custody at the U.S. base in Cuba, the Pentagon said Wednesday.
- Kerry stops in Haiti to discuss election preparations Updated: Oct-06-15 10:57 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry stopped in Haiti's capital on Tuesday to discuss preparations for the country's upcoming elections and encourage people to refrain from disrupting balloting after a messy parliamentary first round in August.
- Mora helps Cuba tie Canada, 2-2 Updated: Oct-06-15 9:18 pm
COMMERCE CITY, Colorado - Arichel Hernandez Mora scored twice, including in the 87th minute, and Cuba tied Canada 2-2 on Tuesday night in Group A Pool Play of the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- The Latest: Prosecutor: Ex-UN official implicated himself Updated: Oct-06-15 8:05 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on allegations that former United Nations General Assembly President Josh Ashe accepted bribes to help a Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople gain investments and government contracts (all times local):
- Captain, crew of doomed ship loved the sea, despite dangers Updated: Oct-06-15 4:14 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The El Faro carried a crew of 28 Americans and five Polish workers when it sank in the Atlantic after losing engine power amid Hurricane Joaquin's 50-foot waves and 140 mph winds. One body has been sighted in the debris area, but the search continues for survivors. Here are some of the people who were on the ship:
- 2 Massachusetts Maritime grads among crew on sunken ship Updated: Oct-05-15 4:44 pm
BOSTON - Two graduates of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy are among crew members missing from a U.S. cargo ship that sank near the Bahamas after encountering heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin.
- A timeline on the search for missing cargo ship El Faro Updated: Oct-05-15 4:26 pm
MIAMI - Here is a timeline on the search for the cargo ship El Faro, missing off the coast of the Bahamas: