- Brazil to sue BHP, Vale for $ 5.2 billion for burst dam Updated: Nov-28-15 3:16 pm
SAO PAULO - Federal and state governments in Brazil say they will sue iron ore miner Samarco and its co-owners BHP Billiton and Vale for $ 5.2 billion for the damage caused when a dam burst earlier this month, creating an environmental disaster.
- Coast Guard finds body believed to be missing Chilean man Updated: Nov-28-15 2:37 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - The U.S. Coast Guard has found a body floating off Puerto Rico's northwest coast that officials believe to be a Chilean man reported missing from a cargo vessel traveling through the region.
- Worker complaints spark probe of Guyana bauxite plant Updated: Nov-28-15 10:33 am
GEORGETOWN, Guyana - The government is investigating a Russian-owned bauxite plant after a surprise inspection last week found "disturbing" working conditions.
- 99-year-old Havelange released from Rio de Janeiro hospital Updated: Nov-28-15 10:04 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Former FIFA president Joao Havelange was released Saturday from a Rio de Janeiro hospital where he was treated for 12 days for what doctors called "respiratory problems."
- Paraguay official fired for kicking indigenous woman Updated: Nov-27-15 5:02 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - Paraguay's president has fired the head of the country's Indian affairs office amid accusations he kicked an indigenous woman.
- Magnitude 6.2 quake strikes Chile, but no damage Updated: Nov-27-15 4:53 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - A magnitude-6.2 earthquake has struck Chile's northern region but authorities say there are no reports of injuries or damage.
- Outrage after Venezuela opposition leader killed Updated: Nov-27-15 4:48 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The slaying of a Venezuelan opposition leader at a campaign rally is becoming an international flashpoint a week before critical congressional elections.
- Chilean mom restricted access to baby for smoking marijuana Updated: Nov-27-15 3:31 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - A Chilean mother says a hospital is restricting her right to see her newborn daughter because she acknowledged smoking marijuana days before she gave birth.
- Hundreds gather in Cuba in frustration at Ecuador visa rule Updated: Nov-27-15 3:14 pm
HAVANA - Hundreds of angry Cubans confronted police and Ecuadoran embassy officials in an unusual display of public discontent on Friday after the surprise announcement of a new visa requirement aimed at choking off this year's historic overland emigration of Cubans across more than 3,000 miles (5,000 kilometers) of South and Central America to the U.S. border with Mexico.
- Former FIFA president Joao Havelange hospitalized in Rio Updated: Nov-27-15 2:23 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Former FIFA president Joao Havelange is being treated in a Rio de Janeiro hospital for respiratory problems.
- Lawyer detained for obstructing Brazil corruption probe Updated: Nov-27-15 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A lawyer representing a key convict in the corruption scandal at Brazil's state-run oil giant Petrobras was detained Friday as he arrived at Rio de Janeiro's international airport, police said.
- Chile's Codelco Jan-Sept earnings drop by nearly half Updated: Nov-27-15 12:22 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile's state-run copper giant Codelco says its profit plunged by 47 percent in January to September 2015 from the same period a year before because of tumbling prices for the metal.
- IOC leaders to discuss Mexico dispute next month Updated: Nov-27-15 8:01 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A dispute that could lead to Mexico's suspension from the Olympics will be discussed by IOC leaders next month.
- Ecuador to require Cubans to get entry visas Updated: Nov-26-15 7:08 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador announced Thursday that it will begin requiring Cubans to get visas to enter beginning Tuesday, seeking to discourage the flow of migrants.
- Bolivian women arrested for alleged Facebook baby sale Updated: Nov-26-15 7:07 pm
LA PAZ, Bolivia - Bolivian officials say they have arrested two women on human trafficking charges: one for selling her baby for $250, the other for buying it after placing a "want ad" on Facebook.
- Hearing set for ex-Wesleyan student in US drug case Updated: Nov-26-15 5:15 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - One of two ex-Wesleyan University students charged with federal crimes in connection with a rash of on-campus drug overdoses is due in court next week.
- Venezuela opposition challenging on Chavez family turf Updated: Nov-26-15 3:25 pm
BARINAS, Venezuela - Asdrubal Chavez is a walking tribute to his still-revered cousin as he stumps for congress. Hugo Chavez's eyes peer out from above the bill of his red baseball cap. The late president's signature is emblazoned on his red shirt.
- Del Nero quits FIFA executive committee; Sarney takes over Updated: Nov-26-15 3:07 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Football Confederation said its president Marco Polo del Nero stepped down Thursday from FIFA's executive committee and will be replaced by Fernando Sarney.
- Chilean man missing from cargo vessel north of Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-26-15 2:34 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - U.S. Coast Guard rescue teams are combing the Atlantic Ocean near Puerto Rico in search of a Chilean man reported missing from a cargo vessel traveling through the region.
- Hamburg voters to decide on 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Nov-26-15 1:33 pm
HAMBURG, Germany - Leaders of Hamburg's bid for the 2024 Olympics hope that a soccer scandal, unsettled costs and fear of attacks won't dissuade voters from backing the German port city's candidacy on Sunday.
- FIFA donates 48 luxury watches to non-profit organization Updated: Nov-26-15 12:01 pm
GENEVA - FIFA's unethical weakness for luxury watches earned a windfall for a soccer charity working in Brazil.
- Macri's promise to expel Venezuela from Mercosur unlikely Updated: Nov-25-15 9:08 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Experts say a promise by Argentina's president-elect to expel Venezuela from the Mercosur trade bloc seems unlikely to be fulfilled.
- Brazil police arrest government Senate leader Updated: Nov-25-15 6:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian police on Wednesday arrested the government's leader in the Senate for allegedly obstructing the investigation into a corruption scandal at state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Argentina's president-elect announces diverse Cabinet Updated: Nov-25-15 6:21 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - President-elect Mauricio Macri named a new Cabinet on Wednesday that includes members from diverse Argentine political movements, business executives and a minister with the outgoing government.
- Outgoing Argentine president says she's not going away Updated: Nov-25-15 5:27 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - When Argentines chose a new president in recent elections, many voters seemed more concerned about what would happen with the old one.