- Development banks boost funding to mitigate climate change Updated: Oct-09-15 7:08 pm
LIMA, Peru - The world's top development banks pledged Friday to boost their funding to lessen climate change's impact, aiming for the goal of $100 billion a year that rich countries have pledged to transfer to developing countries by 2020.
- Judge issues restraining order that allows Uber in Rio Updated: Oct-09-15 5:24 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian judge has issued a temporary restraining order against recently approved legislation that bans the use of smartphone-based ride-hailing-apps like Uber in Rio de Janeiro, the country's second largest city.
- Argentina forward Aguero will miss next World Cup qualifier Updated: Oct-09-15 3:36 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Sergio Aguero will miss Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay next week with a left-leg injury.
- Finance officials to clamp down on multinational tax evasion Updated: Oct-09-15 12:12 pm
LIMA, Peru - Finance officials from the world's 20 biggest economies have committed to toughening laws and boosting cross-border cooperation to prevent multinational companies from avoiding as much as $250 billion a year in taxes.
- Celebration of Peru's economic boom comes late Updated: Oct-09-15 11:54 am
LIMA, Peru - The world's top finance officials lavished praise on Peru's "economic miracle" this week, lauding it for cutting poverty by half during a decade-long bonanza of record-high prices for gold, copper and other metals it mines.
- Donald Trump says Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed Updated: Oct-09-15 7:43 am
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Thursday that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl should have been executed for leaving his post in Afghanistan.
- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Declassified US docs reveal Pinochet ordered killing in US Updated: Oct-08-15 9:34 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Newly declassified U.S. intelligence documents that came to light Thursday reveal that Gen. Augusto Pinochet directly ordered the 1976 assassination of a Chilean diplomat in Washington.
- US treasury secretary blames Congress for debt limit delays Updated: Oct-08-15 9:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew admonished Congress on Thursday for not moving fast enough to raise the government borrowing limit at a time of heightened fragility in the global economy.
- Iamgold to cut 10 percent of workers at Suriname gold mine Updated: Oct-08-15 8:27 pm
PARAMARIBO, Suriname - A Canadian company that operates a gold mine in Suriname says it will dismiss roughly 10 percent of its workforce to reduce costs amid low global prices for the precious metal.
- Analysts: Court ruling fuels bid to impeach Brazil president Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SAO PAULO - President Dilma Rousseff's ability to govern Brazil has been dealt a serious blow by a federal audit court ruling that her government violated accounting practices and financial laws last year, a decision that could fuel efforts to impeach her, analysts said Thursday.
- Latin America rolls out red carpet for once-scorned IMF Updated: Oct-08-15 5:17 pm
LIMA, Peru - The last time the IMF held its annual meetings in Latin America, Ernesto "Che" Guevara was trying to spread Cuba's revolution throughout the hemisphere and much of the region was under the thumb of repressive dictatorships.
- Report: More than 58,000 violent deaths last year in Brazil Updated: Oct-08-15 4:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil reached a new peak of violence last year with more than 58,000 violent deaths, a watchdog group said Thursday.
- New bursts of ash and gas from Ecuador's Cotopaxi Updated: Oct-08-15 12:51 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuador's restive Cotopaxi volcano has been spewing plumes of ash and gas far above its crater and volcanologists say its activity has been on the upswing.
- 2016 Olympic equestrian event may not be held in Brazil Updated: Oct-08-15 11:01 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The head of the Brazilian Equestrian Confederation has warned that equestrian events at next year's Rio de Janeiro Olympics might have to take place outside Brazil.
- IMF Chief: We're cooked if we fail on climate change Updated: Oct-07-15 11:28 pm
LIMA, Peru - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde said Wednesday that failure to take urgent action on global warming will condemn humanity to the same fate as the Peruvian poultry that so many delegates to the group's annual meeting are enjoying this week in a country famed for its cuisine.
- IMF sees recession for Latin America on commodities shock Updated: Oct-07-15 6:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - Latin America's economy is likely to go into recession this year for the first time since the end of the global financial crisis as China's slowdown lessens demand for the region's commodities, threatening to undo recent progress in reducing poverty, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
- Inmates end uprising at prison in southern Brazil; 12 hurt Updated: Oct-07-15 4:16 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian officials say inmates at a southern prison have returned to their cells and ended a 24-hour rebellion that injured at least 12 prisoners.
- Guyana rushes water to indigenous area hit by dry spell Updated: Oct-07-15 4:08 pm
GEORGETOWN, Guyana - Officials in the South American country of Guyana are rushing water to parched areas as indigenous communities struggle with dry wells and withered crops.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- Argentine government: ex-spy chief went to US in February Updated: Oct-07-15 3:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The Argentine government says a former spymaster it wants to question in the mysterious death of prosecutor traveled to the United States on an Italian passport.
- IMF: Up to $3 trillion in over-borrowing in emerging markets Updated: Oct-07-15 12:19 pm
LIMA, Peru - The International Monetary Fund says the biggest risks to the global economy are now in emerging markets, where private companies have racked up considerable debt amid a fifth straight year of slowing growth.
- At 'home' in Peru, World Bank chief unfazed by slower growth Updated: Oct-07-15 8:38 am
CARABAYLLO, Peru - In the 1990s, Jim Yong Kim would climb the dusty streets and hillsides of this sprawling slum outside Peru's capital distributing expensive pharmaceutical drugs he'd brought hidden in his luggage to tuberculosis patients. Residents recall the Harvard-trained physician as a smiling do-gooder with basic Spanish and shoes permanently caked with dust.
- Luxury birthing clinics spur cesarean 'epidemic' in Brazil Updated: Oct-07-15 12:06 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Thais Faria sank into a leather love seat, relaxing under the ministrations first of a masseuse, then a manicurist and finally a hairdresser-cum-makeup artist. Not 24 hours after her daughter was born via cesarean, Faria was being pampered at an upscale Rio de Janeiro maternity clinic.
- Fiji bow out of RWC overpowering feisty Uruguay 47-15 Updated: Oct-06-15 8:53 pm
MILTON KEYNES, England - Fiji bowed out of the Rugby World Cup by overpowering a feisty Uruguay 47-15 in an action-packed Rugby World Cup match on Tuesday.