- Uber hits roadblocks in Brazil's biggest city and capital Updated: Jul-01-15 11:53 am
SAO PAULO - The Uber ride sharing service is facing roadblocks in Brazil's biggest city and in Brasilia, the country's capital.
- Colombian striker Martinez moves to Atletico Madrid Updated: Jul-01-15 6:06 am
- Striker Robinho leaves Brazilian club to play in China Updated: Jul-01-15 12:48 am
SAO PAULO - Veteran Brazil striker Robinho said Tuesday that he is leaving Brazilian club Santos and will reportedly play in China for Guangzhou Evergrande, now coached by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- Argentina routs Paraguay 6-1, reaches Copa America final Updated: Jun-30-15 11:21 pm
CONCEPCION, Chile - Lionel Messi helped set up five goals as Argentina trounced Paraguay 6-1 in the Copa America semifinals on Tuesday, setting up a final against host Chile.
- Aldo pulls out of UFC 189 with rib injury Updated: Jun-30-15 8:38 pm
LAS VEGAS - UFC lightweight champion Jose Aldo has pulled out of his title defense against Conor McGregor at UFC 189 on July 11 with a rib injury.
- Ex-Colombian paramilitary leader sentenced on drug charges Updated: Jun-30-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - A former Colombian paramilitary leader convicted of federal cocaine trafficking charges will serve nearly seven more years in a U.S. prison before he is returned to his country.
- US senator on visit to Venezuela amid diplomatic detente Updated: Jun-30-15 5:55 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The Republican chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee is making a surprise visit to Venezuela amid a U.S. effort to reduce tensions with the South American nation.
- Police replace soldiers on security duty in big Rio slum Updated: Jun-30-15 4:56 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Police in Rio de Janeiro have finished replacing more than 2,000 soldiers who have been stationed in the Mare complex of shantytowns to improve security and drive out the drug gangs that ruled the slum for decades.
- 2 years after spying flap, US, Brazil seek to turn the page Updated: Jun-30-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Two years after revelations about U.S. spying frayed ties between their countries, President Barack Obama and visiting Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff publicly closed that chapter Tuesday, declaring that the relationship between the U.S. and Brazil is on an upward swing.
- US opening market to Argentina, Brazil beef imports Updated: Jun-30-15 3:50 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina and Brazil are greeting news that they will soon be able to export fresh beef into the United States after a longtime ban.
- Vatican doesn't rule out pope might chew Bolivian coca Updated: Jun-30-15 1:26 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican isn't ruling out that Pope Francis might chew coca leaves - or at least sip tea made from them - to fend off altitude sickness when he arrives in Bolivia next week.
- Chile beats Peru 2-1 to reach Copa America final Updated: Jun-29-15 11:14 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Striker Eduardo Vargas scored twice to lead Chile to a 2-1 win over 10-man Peru in the semifinals of the Copa America on Monday, keeping alive the host's hopes of winning the South American tournament for the first time.
- Suriname's leader dismisses acting speaker of Parliament Updated: Jun-29-15 7:41 pm
PARAMARIBO, Suriname - Suriname's president has dismissed the acting speaker of Parliament, asserting the firing was necessary to uphold the South American nation's constitution.
- Brazil midfielder Paulinho joins Guangzhou from Spurs Updated: Jun-29-15 10:18 am
GUANGZHOU, China - Brazil midfielder Paulinho has left Tottenham to join Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande for 14 million euros ($15.5 million), ending a frustrating two-year spell at the Premier League team.
- Venezuelan struggling socialists hold legislative primaries Updated: Jun-29-15 9:39 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Members of Venezuela's ruling socialist party selected candidates to compete in December's legislative elections that the opposition is favored to win amid a punishing economic crisis that is eroding support for President Nicolas Maduro.
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:20 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- High Colombian official urges courts to OK same-sex marriage Updated: Jun-28-15 9:59 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - A top Cabinet minister on Sunday urged Colombia's courts to legalize same-sex marriage and support the right of such couples to adopt.
- Palmeiras routs rival Sao Paulo 4-0 in Brazilian league Updated: Jun-28-15 8:12 pm
SAO PAULO - Palmeiras scored twice in each half to beat Sao Paulo 4-0 on Sunday and keep its rival from taking over the Brazilian league lead.
- UN envoy urges restraint amid standoff in Colombia Updated: Jun-28-15 5:25 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - A United Nations envoy is urging restraint amid a tense standoff on the front lines of Colombia's conflict between security forces and farmers who expelled police allegedly under pressure from leftist rebels.
- 2 women in 80s die in crash with RV in western Minnesota Updated: Jun-28-15 5:25 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Minnesota - Two women in their 80s have died after their car collided with a recreational vehicle at a rural intersection in western Minnesota.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Chile defender Jara banned for 3 games; out of Copa America Updated: Jun-28-15 5:21 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chilean defender Gonzalo Jara has been banned from the remainder of the Copa America for provoking Uruguay's Edinson Cavani in a quarterfinal match.
- International battle over custody of children Updated: Jun-28-15 4:41 pm
SNOWMASS VILLAGE, Colorado - A Garfield County District Court judge has ruled that two children at the heart of an international custody dispute between a Snowmass Village man and his former spouse will remain in the custody of their father, even though the father signed an agreement saying the mother could have custody.
- Lloyd once nearly quit; the US team is sure glad she didn't Updated: Jun-28-15 4:17 pm
MONTREAL - Carli Lloyd's career is defined by big moments.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.