- Cruzeiro nets late to win Brazilian league opener Updated: Apr-20-14 9:38 pm
- River Plate moves into top spot in Argentina Updated: Apr-20-14 8:56 pm
- Colombia hopes to share Garcia Marquez remains Updated: Apr-19-14 3:01 pm
- Deadline lapses in Peru for illegal gold miners Updated: Apr-19-14 2:16 pm
- Brazilian club faces exclusion for abandoning game Updated: Apr-19-14 11:03 am
- Mixed feelings for Garcia Marquez in hometown Updated: Apr-18-14 11:34 pm
- Marquez setting pace on march to MotoGP title Updated: Apr-18-14 1:54 pm
- World reacts to death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez Updated: Apr-17-14 8:58 pm
- Rubio, Nelson urge sanctions against Venezuela Updated: Apr-17-14 6:02 pm
- Argentina considers crackdown on street protests Updated: Apr-17-14 5:04 pm
- Coffee surges on renewed concern about crop Updated: Apr-17-14 4:20 pm
- Rio Mayor says no sports 'mausoleum' like Beijing Updated: Apr-17-14 4:15 pm
- Peru volcano prompts evacuation of 4,000 Updated: Apr-17-14 3:04 pm
- Brazilian player hospitalized after collapse Updated: Apr-17-14 11:59 am
- Progress in Venezuela talks, but protests continue Updated: Apr-16-14 10:43 pm
- Brazil unveils $11 billion in 'legacy' budget Updated: Apr-16-14 6:20 pm
- New chief but few changes at Brazilian federation Updated: Apr-16-14 4:31 pm
- Inmates rock Peru prison with 'Superstar Updated: Apr-16-14 4:04 pm
- Strike continues at Rio Olympic venues Updated: Apr-16-14 3:57 pm
- Argentine zoo shows off white tiger triplets Updated: Apr-16-14 1:07 pm
- 54 detained in anti-World Cup protest in Brazil Updated: Apr-16-14 11:38 am
- Cuban doctors in eye of Venezuelan hurricane Updated: Apr-16-14 12:40 am
- Uruguay's leader declares $322,883 in wealth Updated: Apr-15-14 11:38 pm
- Chile leader to relocate Valparaiso fire victims Updated: Apr-15-14 10:22 pm
- Atletico Mineiro backs off deal to sign Anelka Updated: Apr-15-14 7:48 pm
SAO PAULO - Marcelo Moreno scored in the 90th minute to help a second-string Cruzeiro lineup beat Bahia 2-1 on Sunday to start its defense of the Brazilian league title.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - River Plate moved into top spot in the Argentine first division with a 1-0 win over Velez Sarsfield on Sunday.
MEXICO CITY - The final resting place for the ashes of Gabriel Garcia Marquez remains unclear. It could be Mexico where he lived for decades or his native Colombia. Perhaps even both.
LIMA, Peru - The clock has run out for an estimated 40,000 illegal gold miners who had until Saturday to legalize their status in a region of southeastern Peru where fortune-seekers have ravaged rainforests and contaminated rivers. The government's vow to enforce a ban on illegal mining is raising fears of bloody confrontations.
SAO PAULO - Brazil's sports tribunal says the club that abandoned a second-division match claiming it had a court order allowing it to play in the top flight could face exclusion from the championship.
ARACATACA, Colombia - Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his homeland had a relationship as conflicted as any in the Nobel laureate's twisting and impassioned novels.
AUSTIN, Texas - Marc Marquez safely navigated the first turn of the Grand Prix of the Americas and quickly settled into 21 comfortable laps and his second consecutive victory of 2014.
Reaction to death of writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez:
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's populist government is proposing a crackdown on street protests amid increasing unrest over the souring economy. The new rules dismayed many of its natural allies Thursday, who called it a worrisome retreat after a decade of permissive policing.
The price of coffee surged on Thursday on renewed concerns about the outlook for Brazil's crop.
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes is viewed as the key person to speed up the city's delayed Olympics Games preparations. He has been the point man when all three levels of Brazilian government have debated expenditures for the 2016 Games.
LIMA, Peru - Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
SAO PAULO - A player who collapsed in a Brazilian Cup match is in stable condition after being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat.
CARACAS, Venezuela - Negotiators for the government and the opposition have agreed to broaden membership in a truth commission that is to investigate who is to blame for 41 deaths tied to weeks of political unrest in Venezuela.
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian government officials announced Wednesday that almost $11 billion (24.1 billion Brazilian reals) will be spent on major transportation and environmental projects, which they argue are not related to holding the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football federation elected a new president on Wednesday, although little is changing at the helm of the organization.
LIMA, Peru - Inmates have rocked a Peruvian prison with a Holy Week performance of the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar."
RIO DE JANEIRO - The two-week strike at Rio de Janeiro's main Olympic complex continued Wednesday despite an apparent settlement.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The Buenos Aires Zoo is showing off its latest brood of white tigers - Bengal triplets with piercing blue eyes and a playful attitude.
SAO PAULO - Police say that 54 people protesting against the World Cup have been arrested in Brazil's largest city.
CARACAS, Venezuela - When Judith Faraiz's son was near death after a severe motorcycle accident, she put his life in the hands of God and Cuban doctors.
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguayan President Jose Mujica has declared $322,883 in wealth.
VALPARAISO, Chile - President Michelle Bachelet vowed Tuesday to reconstruct this once-beautiful port city according to a master plan that would prevent many of the 12,500 victims of devastating wildfires from rebuilding on hills that cannot be protected from disasters.
SAO PAULO - Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro said Tuesday that it will not sign former France striker Nicolas Anelka because the player took too long to report to the club.