- Dominic Thiem beats Alexander Zverev to reach BMW Open final Updated: Apr-30-16 10:30 am
MUNICH - Dominic Thiem of Austria surpassed Novak Djokovic for most wins on tour this year as he reached the BMW Open final by defeating Alexander Zverev of Germany 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 on Saturday.
- Argentina's big unions join to protest layoffs, inflation Updated: Apr-29-16 10:58 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's strongest unions brought thousands of people into the streets Friday to protest high inflation and job cuts in the biggest demonstrations against President Mauricio Macri since he took office in December.
- Argentina floods swamp soy crop; some must commute by boat Updated: Apr-29-16 7:20 pm
VILLA PARANACITO, Argentina - Water levels in the flooded town of Villa Paranacito have risen so much that the best way for residents to commute is by boat.
- Top Venezuela beer maker halts production amid shortages Updated: Apr-29-16 6:04 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's largest brewer said it shut down beer production Friday at the last of its four factories due to a shortage of imported supplies.
- Brazil's VP says he will not be a candidate in 2018 Updated: Apr-29-16 4:33 pm
SAO PAULO - The man in line to become Brazil's next head of state if President Dilma Rousseff is impeached says he won't run for the presidency in 2018 when Rousseff's term comes to an end.
- Brazil police arrest Colombian drug trafficker Updated: Apr-29-16 3:49 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian police say they have arrested a Colombian man wanted on drug gang charges in his home country and in the U.S.
- More than 200 Boca Juniors hooligans being held in Paraguay Updated: Apr-29-16 2:17 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - More than 200 hooligans following Argentine club Boca Juniors were detained in Paraguay for acts of vandalism at a Copa Libertadores round-of-16 match against local club Cerro Porteno.
- Rio Olympic flame visits UN office in Geneva Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 pm
GENEVA - The Olympic flame for the Rio de Janeiro Games came to the United Nations in Geneva on Friday, where officials said a team of refugee athletes will bring a message of hope for refugees around the world.
- Venezuela congress votes to censure food czar amid shortages Updated: Apr-28-16 8:08 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's opposition-controlled congress voted Thursday to censure the country's food minister amid widespread shortages.
- Brother takes Colombian politician's place as rebel hostage Updated: Apr-28-16 7:54 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - When leftist rebels earlier this month freed a former governor held captive more than two years, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the release as a hopeful sign that the National Liberation Army had finally sworn off kidnapping as peace talks with the group were getting under way.
- Transgender civil servants in Brazil can use chosen name Updated: Apr-28-16 6:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian transgender and transsexual civil servants will now be able to use their chosen names while on the job.
- Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.
- Ecuadorean jetliner skids off runway landing in heavy rain Updated: Apr-28-16 2:00 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - A plane with 93 people on board has skidded off a runway while landing during heavy rain at an airport in southern Ecuador.
- Dortmund captain and defender Hummels wants Bayern move Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
DORTMUND, Germany - Borussia Dortmund captain and central defender Mats Hummels has asked to be released from his contract so that he can move to Bundesliga rival Bayern Munich next season.
- Victims of Chile colony hope German documents bring justice Updated: Apr-28-16 6:03 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Victims of a secretive German colony in Chile hope that Germany's decision to declassify documents will help shine light on human rights abuses committed there.
- Soccer-crazy Argentina club offers fans an implantable chip Updated: Apr-27-16 8:57 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Fans in soccer-mad Argentina often chant: "I carry you inside me!" when talking about their favorite club. It might soon be more than just a slogan.
- Protests as Venezuela embraces 2-day workweek to save power Updated: Apr-27-16 6:02 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan cities cleaned up from a night of looting and fiery protests Wednesday as government offices closed their doors for the rest of the week in the face of a worsening energy crisis that is causing daily blackouts.
- China sends 4 planeloads of aid to quake-ravaged Ecuador Updated: Apr-27-16 4:00 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - China's government has sent four plane loads of aid worth over $9 million to tens of thousands left homeless by this month's powerful earthquake in Ecuador
- Fox to show 4 Copa America games on main US network Updated: Apr-27-16 3:53 pm
NEW YORK - Fox will televise four matches of this year's Copa America Cententario on its main network and air three on the entertainment channel FX.
- Rio gets Olympic flame 100 days before games Updated: Apr-27-16 2:31 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Olympic flame was handed to organizers of the Rio de Janeiro Games in Athens on Wednesday, 100 days before the opening ceremony in Brazil.
- Rio gets 3 holidays during Olympics, traffic fines loom Updated: Apr-27-16 2:16 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Residents of Rio de Janeiro will get three new holidays during the Olympics as part of a plan to keep people off the roads and limit the city's suffocating traffic.
- US Olympians get nautical look for Rio's closing ceremony Updated: Apr-27-16 1:34 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Olympic athletes from the United States will look ready to sail back home when they attend the closing ceremony at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- South Korea unveils Zika-proof Olympic uniforms Updated: Apr-27-16 1:19 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's Olympic committee on Wednesday unveiled Zika-proof uniforms complete with mosquito repellent it says will help protect athletes from the virus at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- US targets 11 countries for lax copyright protection Updated: Apr-27-16 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - China, Russia and India are among 11 countries targeted by the Obama administration for leaving American producers of music, movies and other copyrighted material open to rampant piracy.
- 33 lions saved from South American circuses heading home Updated: Apr-26-16 7:33 pm
LIMA, Peru - Thirty-three lions rescued from circuses in Peru and Colombia are heading back to their homeland to live out the rest of their lives in a private sanctuary in South Africa.