- Doubts raised about Islamic State's claim in Texas attack Updated: May-05-15 9:35 pm
PHOENIX - The Islamic State group claimed responsibility Tuesday for the assault on a Texas cartoon contest that featured images of the Prophet Muhammad, but counterterrorism experts said IS has a history of asserting involvement in attacks in which it had no operational role.
- Champion Wanderers out in group stage; FC Seoul advances Updated: May-05-15 5:37 pm
GUANGZHOU, China - The Western Sydney Wanderers' Asian Champions League title defense ended Tuesday despite a win 2-0 over Guangzhou Evergrande, with FC Seoul moving into the knockout stage with a late 3-2 win over Kashima Antlers.
- Australia cuts interest rate to record low 2 percent Updated: May-05-15 2:25 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's central bank cut its benchmark interest rate to a record low of 2 percent on Tuesday in a bid to jolt the nation's economy which is weighed by falling commodity prices and weakening demand from China.
- Small tsunami seen near epicenter of Papua New Guinea quake Updated: May-05-15 12:49 am
SYDNEY - A powerful earthquake rattled the South Pacific island nation of Papua New Guinea on Tuesday, generating a small tsunami near the epicenter, bringing down power lines and cracking walls, but causing no widespread damage.
- IOC chief: Small nations like New Zealand could host games Updated: May-05-15 12:04 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach says there's no reason a small nation such as New Zealand shouldn't aspire to host the Olympics.
- Hewitt to skip French Open to focus on Wimbledon, Davis Cup Updated: May-04-15 10:47 pm
SYDNEY - Two-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt will not play this month's French Open in what is likely to be his last year on tour.
- Williams beats Stephens, advances to Madrid Open 3rd round Updated: May-04-15 4:08 pm
- EU rejects Australian policy for handling migrant influx Updated: May-04-15 7:40 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union will not be adopting Australia's migration methods despite Prime Minister Tony Abbott's claim that some Europeans are seeking policy advice.
- Australia says Europeans seek advice on stopping migrants Updated: May-03-15 11:13 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Europeans grappling with mass migration from Libya were seeking information about Australia's controversial success in stopping asylum seeker boats reaching its shores, the Australian prime minister said Monday.
- Melbourne City beats Wellington 2-0 in A-League playoff Updated: May-03-15 5:20 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Melbourne City will meet top-ranked Melbourne Victory in a semifinal derby after beating Wellington 2-0 Sunday in a playoff match in Australian football's A-League.
- Convicted sex offender in Texas had 93K images, faces prison Updated: Apr-30-15 11:25 am
EL PASO, Texas - A convicted sex offender from Australia living in West Texas faces up to 20 years in a U.S. prison for having more than 93,000 child pornography images.
- Australian opposition to capital punishment questioned Updated: Apr-30-15 6:53 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's political opposition accused the government of winding back the country's rejection of the death penalty during a heated debate Thursday following Indonesia's execution of two Australian drug traffickers.
- Former Australian rugby star Hayne finding way with 49ers Updated: Apr-29-15 5:43 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Jarryd Hayne has found himself discussing snakes, kangaroos and koalas - all things Aussie - in the middle of San Francisco's locker room right along with the routes and responsibilities from his daunting new NFL playbook.
- Australia wary of escalating rift after Indonesia executions Updated: Apr-29-15 2:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia said it would withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia after two Australians were among eight drug traffickers executed by the Southeast Asian country Wednesday, but was wary of escalating hostilities with its neighbor despite a public outcry.
- IOC president Bach discusses potential Australia bid Updated: Apr-29-15 6:41 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia would have a good chance of success if it bid to host the 2028 Olympic Games in Queensland state, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday.
- Andrew Lesnie, 'Lord of the Rings' cinematographer, dies Updated: Apr-29-15 4:41 am
SYDNEY - Oscar-winning Australian cinematographer Andrew Lesnie, best known for his work on "The Lord of the Rings," has died, friends and colleagues said Wednesday. He was 59.
- Mark Bosnich pleads guilty to reckless driving Updated: Apr-28-15 12:50 am
SYDNEY - Former Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich has pleaded guilty in a Sydney court to a charge of reckless driving relating to an incident last year in which a cyclist was injured.
- Melbourne Victory finish A-League season in 1st place Updated: Apr-26-15 5:33 am
SYDNEY - Adelaide United will play Brisbane and Wellington will host Melbourne City in next weekend's first round of playoff matches in Australian football's A-League.
- Thousands honor soldiers on 100th year of Gallipoli battle Updated: Apr-25-15 10:05 am
GALLIPOLI, Turkey - For the first time at age 95, Bill Grayden has come to Gallipoli, where his father stormed the beach and took a bullet through his lung during the ill-fated British-led World War I invasion.
- Surfer critically injured by shark off southern Australia Updated: Apr-25-15 7:16 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - A surfer was in critical condition after a shark attacked him Saturday in southern Australia, police said.
- Families stream to battlefields for 100th year of Gallipoli Updated: Apr-24-15 10:09 am
GALLIPOLI, Turkey - Families of soldiers who served in the Gallipoli campaign of World War I, along with world leaders, streamed onto the battle sites on Friday for ceremonies marking 100 years since the British-led invasion.
- Newcastle Jets owner cited by FFA for tirade at journalist Updated: Apr-24-15 3:57 am
SYDNEY - The owner of the Newcastle Jets has been cited by Football Federation Australia for a code of conduct violation following a tirade against a journalist after an A-League match last weekend.
- 2 dogs from Texas sniff out snails in Ecuador's Galapagos Updated: Apr-24-15 12:02 am
QUITO, Ecuador - When Darwin the Labrador retriever crashed out of a service dog program for people, conservationists found him a very different sort of job: sniffing out giant African land snails that are threatening crops on the most visited of Ecuador's Galapagos Islands.
- For asylum seekers, a novel (and odd) solution: Cambodia Updated: Apr-23-15 11:01 pm
BANGKOK - Still haunted by the Vietnam War next door and the 1970s genocide that followed, Cambodia is not exactly the place that the world's refugees dream of reaching.
- Massachusetts police receiving calls from Australia Updated: Apr-22-15 12:05 pm
NORTHBRIDGE, Massachusetts - A Massachusetts police department has been receiving some curious calls from people with Australian accents.