- 5 arrested in connection with Sydney police worker's killing Updated: Oct-06-15 8:04 pm
SYDNEY - Police arrested five people during a series of raids Wednesday in connection with the slaying of a civilian police worker, which officials have said they believe was linked to terrorism.
- LSU, Australian, Indonesian scientists find new shrew rat Updated: Oct-06-15 6:36 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A Louisiana State University scientist and international colleagues have discovered a new kind of shrew rat: a big-eared, long-snouted rodent with extra-long incisors jutting out from its lower jaw, and a flat, piggy nose.
- A-League looks to continue fan growth in its 11th season Updated: Oct-05-15 10:19 pm
SYDNEY - Australian football's A-League opens its 11th season Thursday hoping to continue surging audience growth while wrestling with player discontent and financial crises affecting some clubs.
- Australia to deport Kansas-based anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-03-15 12:17 pm
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia amid concerns that he could incite violence.
- Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup Updated: Oct-02-15 3:49 pm
INCHEON, South Korea - Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup matches:
- UK teen in Australia terror plot jailed for at least 5 years Updated: Oct-02-15 10:09 am
LONDON - A 15-year-old British boy was sentenced Friday to at least five years in custody for organizing a terrorist plot to kill police officers in Australia.
- 2 people die in shootings near Sydney police headquarters Updated: Oct-02-15 9:40 am
SYDNEY - A civilian employed by Australian police was fatally shot Friday outside the state police headquarters in western Sydney and his assailant was then killed, officials said.
- Australia to deport American anti-abortion activist Updated: Oct-02-15 3:09 am
SYDNEY - An American anti-abortion activist is expected to be deported from Australia, after the nation's highest court ruled Friday that he posed a threat to public order amid concerns he could incite violence against women.
- Report: Miami charges against Bernard Tomic dropped Updated: Sep-30-15 11:39 pm
SYDNEY - Australian media has reported that prosecutors in Miami have dropped charges against tennis player Bernard Tomic.
- Double treat for Aussie sports fans: AFL, NRL grand finals Updated: Sep-30-15 10:00 pm
Sports fans Down Under have two major reasons to be looking forward to this weekend - the championship matches in both Australian rules football and the National Rugby League.
- East Timor primed for legal tussle with Australia Updated: Sep-30-15 8:31 pm
NEW YORK - Thirteen years after winning independence from Indonesia, East Timor has to wage another struggle for justice with a more powerful neighbor - but this time in the courts, the nation's prime minister says.
- Opal dispute involves Austin, Texas, and Adelaide, Australia Updated: Sep-28-15 6:48 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Where to begin with this story?
- New Zealand man faces trial in Australia on terror charges Updated: Sep-28-15 3:34 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - A New Zealand man accused of trying to enter Syria to fight alongside extremists used four different phones to have coded conversations about "a big job" days before attempting to fly to Turkey, prosecutors told a court on Monday.
- Australia warns Chris Brown he may not be allowed Down Under Updated: Sep-28-15 12:23 am
SYDNEY - Chris Brown's plans to tour Down Under were in jeopardy on Sunday after the Australian government formally warned the troubled R&B singer that he is likely to be denied a visa because of his criminal conviction for assaulting pop star Rihanna.
- Tour of secret garden: Juneau man grows extensive garden Updated: Sep-27-15 5:25 am
JUNEAU, Alaska - At the top of an average, wooden fence on Glacierwood Court, the tips of raspberry bushes peek out, the prelude to a secret garden.
- UN migrants expert delays Australia visit over gag law Updated: Sep-26-15 5:51 am
BERLIN - A U.N. human rights expert says he has postponed his visit to Australia because the government has refused to suspend a law criminalizing the disclosure of "protected information" about detention centers.
- Onboard cameramen planned for 2017 regatta in San Francisco Updated: Sep-25-15 9:56 pm
SAN DIEGO - Sports producer and avid sailor Geoff Mason plans to use onboard cameramen as part of the coverage of the Super 12 Cup regatta on San Francisco Bay beginning in July 2017.
- Column: Golf's future in good hands with a new Big 3 (or 4) Updated: Sep-25-15 7:31 pm
ATLANTA - As Tiger Woods recovers from another operation on his increasingly creaky body, the Tour Championships goes on without him at soggy East Lake.
- 3 people detained in Malaysia after terrorism warnings Updated: Sep-25-15 6:05 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police said Friday they detained three men, including two foreigners, for questioning over their possible involvement in terrorism after the U.S. and Australian embassies warned of a potential attack at a popular hawker street in Kuala Lumpur.
- Engine failure panics passengers on Cathay Pacific flight Updated: Sep-25-15 12:29 am
PERTH, Australia - A Cathay Pacific flight from Australia to Hong Kong was diverted to Indonesia due to an engine fault that a passenger said on Friday sent flame streaming from a wing and caused panic on board.
- Minister signals Chris Brown won't be allowed into Australia Updated: Sep-23-15 11:02 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A government minister signaled Thursday that troubled R&B singer Chris Brown won't be allowed to tour Australia in December because of his criminal conviction for assaulting pop star Rihanna.
- 'Keeper Barbieri, veteran of 4 Women's World Cups, retires Updated: Sep-23-15 9:43 pm
SYDNEY - Veteran Australia goalkeeper Melissa Barbieri on Thursday announced her retirement from international football after 86 matches, including four Women's World Cup tournaments.
- A-League's Newcastle signs Serbian striker Milos Trifunovic Updated: Sep-23-15 8:00 pm
NEWCASTLE, Australia - Newcastle Jets have signed Serbian striker Milos Trifunovic for the new A-League season, completing the club's foreign contingent.
- Australian consumer confidence jumps after change of leader Updated: Sep-23-15 1:46 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian consumer confidence has jumped following the ouster of the country's unpopular prime minister last week by a moderate rival.
- Jedinak out for next World Cup qualifier against Jordan Updated: Sep-22-15 10:12 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Captain Mile Jedinak has been left off Australia's squad for its Oct. 8 World Cup qualifier against Jordan, but Trent Sainsbury, James Troisi and Tomi Juric have returned from injury to be included on the team.