- Australia in Europe's Song Contest? In a word, yes. Updated: May-22-15 9:11 am
VIENNA - For the first time in its 60-year history, the Eurovision Song Contest may be won by - Australia.
- Cambodia accepts 4 refugees under Australia agreement Updated: May-21-15 11:37 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Four refugees rejected by Australia who have agreed to resettle in Cambodia will likely become examples that other refugees will follow, an Australian minister said Friday.
- Australia to revoke citizenship of Australian-born jihadis Updated: May-21-15 9:16 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia plans to strip citizenship from Australian-born children of immigrants who become Islamic State fighters in its crackdown on homegrown jihadis, a minister said on Thursday.
- Exodus from New Zealand to Australia reverses after 24 years Updated: May-21-15 3:01 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Australia's warmer climate and higher wages have long lured droves of New Zealanders across the Tasman Sea with the aim of making a better life in the "lucky country."
- Sydney signs Senegal player Tavares for 2 more years Updated: May-20-15 10:56 pm
SYDNEY - Sydney FC has extended the contract of French-born Senegal international Mickael Tavares for a further two A-League seasons.
- Vatican finance minister denies Australian bribe allegation Updated: May-20-15 9:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Pope Francis' finance minister has denied an allegation that he offered a bribe to a victim of clergy abuse to protect a pedophile priest.
- From middle-class Australian to Islamic State bride Updated: May-20-15 9:18 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Quietly - almost secretly - Zehra Duman morphed from private school student to Islamic State bride and online recruiter for the movement. Her family did not see it coming.
- 24 little penguins from Australia go on display at Bronx Zoo Updated: May-20-15 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - Two dozen members of the world's smallest penguin species have taken up residence at the Bronx Zoo.
- FFA terminates Newcastle license over financial issues Updated: May-20-15 3:00 am
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has terminated the Newcastle Jets' A-League operating license hours after financially troubled owner Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of 2.7 million Australian dollars ($2.14 million).
- Catholic brother from US convicted of sex abuse in Australia Updated: May-18-15 3:19 am
SYDNEY - A Catholic brother accused of sex abuse in the U.S. has been convicted in Australia of a string of sex offenses dating back to the 1970s, when he taught at a Catholic school in Melbourne.
- Melbourne Victory win A-League title, beat Sydney FC 3-0 Updated: May-17-15 6:47 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Albanian striker Besart Berisha added to his team-leading goal total in the biggest match of the season, helping the Melbourne Victory to a 3-0 win over Sydney FC in the A-League grand final Sunday.
- Stuttgart, Germany awarded 2019 world gymnastics titles Updated: May-16-15 10:09 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) has awarded the 2019 world championships to Stuttgart, Germany.
- Jorgensen wins Yokohama race to claim 4th world series win Updated: May-16-15 2:18 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Gwen Jorgensen of the United States won her fourth world series triathlon event of the year on Saturday to extend her winning streak to nine races.
- Gymnastics federation reduces Olympic team sizes to 4 from 5 Updated: May-15-15 9:42 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) said Saturday it had approved "with an overwhelming majority" a new format that will see the number of gymnasts in the team competition be reduced from five gymnasts to four for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Pup-roar: Johnny Depp's dogs escape Australian death threat Updated: May-15-15 8:06 am
SYDNEY - Facing the threat of imminent death, Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo fled Australia for the United States on Friday after Australia's agriculture minister angrily accused the Hollywood actor of sneaking the pups into the country.
- Asian champion Western Sydney cut 10 players in Australia Updated: May-15-15 3:37 am
SYDNEY - Asian champion Western Sydney has sacked 10 players after a poor domestic A-League season, including Socceroo striker Tomi Juric and Champions League hero and goalkeeper Ante Covic.
- A-League final: anybody got a ticket for Sydney vs Victory? Updated: May-14-15 8:33 pm
The Melbourne Victory will host Sydney FC in the A-League's grand final on Sunday in a stadium that, quite frankly, is only about half as big as they'd prefer.
- Cricket Australia orders review into Phillip Hughes death Updated: May-14-15 2:33 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Cricket Australia will commission an independent review into the death of batsman Phillip Hughes in an attempt to prevent such on-field accidents from occurring in the future.
- SOLD!: Iconic 2000 Olympic rings from Sydney Harbour Bridge Updated: May-14-15 1:41 am
SYDNEY - The five massive rings from the Sydney Harbour Bridge which were the focal point of celebrations during the 2000 Olympics have been sold for 21,000 Australian dollars ($17,000).
- Study: Vitamin B3 may help prevent certain skin cancers Updated: May-13-15 5:18 pm
For the first time, a large study suggests that a vitamin might modestly lower the risk of the most common types of skin cancer in people with a history of these relatively harmless yet troublesome growths.
- David Gelb returns to food with 'Chef's Table' on Netflix Updated: May-13-15 5:17 pm
NEW YORK - Filmmaker David Gelb, who directed the delectable "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," has landed back in the foodie world with a Netflix series covering the lives and cuisines of six top chefs.
- Search for missing Malaysia plane yields uncharted shipwreck Updated: May-13-15 8:15 am
SYDNEY - Search crews hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the desolate ocean waters off western Australia have discovered an old shipwreck, officials said Wednesday.
- US to host Wallabies in RWC warmup in Chicago on Sept. 5 Updated: May-12-15 12:33 pm
CHICAGO - The Wallabies have agreed to play the United States in a last hit-out before the Rugby World Cup in September.
- Australia plans to cut business tax and balance books Updated: May-12-15 6:17 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia announced cuts to foreign aid, lower taxes for small businesses and cheaper child care in an annual budget that tries to balance paying off debt with energizing an economy that's being sapped by China's slowdown.
- WADA to appeal decision in Essendon supplements case Updated: May-11-15 11:54 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - The World Anti-Doping Agency is set to appeal against the Australian Football League anti-doping tribunal's findings in the Essendon supplements case.