- Australian seated beside overweight passenger sues Etihad Updated: Jul-31-15 2:46 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Etihad Airways said Friday that it will continue to fight a lawsuit by a passenger who says he was left with back pain because he was seated beside an overweight man on a 14-hour flight from the United Arab Emirates to Sydney.
- Wing part could help solve what happened to MH370 Updated: Jul-31-15 12:15 am
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - A barnacle-encrusted wing part that washed up on a remote Indian Ocean island could help solve one of aviation's greatest mysteries, as investigators work to connect it to the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished more than a year ago.
- AP investigation prompts new round of slave rescues Updated: Jul-30-15 11:56 pm
Authorities in Papua New Guinea have rescued eight fishermen held on board a Thai-owned refrigerated cargo ship, and dozens of other boats are still being sought in response to an Associated Press report that included satellite photos and locations of slave vessels at sea.
- Surfer seriously injured in Australian shark attack Updated: Jul-30-15 10:58 pm
SYDNEY - A surfer was seriously injured as he repeatedly punched a shark that mauled him off the Australian east coast on Friday, less than a week after a fatal attack, police and a witness said.
- Surfer seriously injured in Australian shark attack Updated: Jul-30-15 10:26 pm
SYDNEY - A surfer was seriously injured as he fought a shark off the Australian east coast on Friday, less than a week after a fatal attack, police said.
- Madeleine McCann ruled out as girl found dead in Australia Updated: Jul-30-15 12:38 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - The decomposed remains of a young girl found in a suitcase dumped in Australia do not belong to missing British girl Madeleine McCann, police say.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.
- Searcher says wing find won't change MH370 seabed search Updated: Jul-29-15 8:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The discovery of a piece of aircraft wing on an island in the western Indian Ocean is unlikely to alter the seabed search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner in the southern Indian Ocean, the search leader said Thursday.
- Booing has Australian footballer Goodes considering quitting Updated: Jul-29-15 6:11 am
Few athletes have the credentials to challenge Adam Goodes for the mantle of being THE Australian sportsman, which is why a racism debate is raging Down Under.
- Sydney man arrested in 30-year-old shooting, bombing case Updated: Jul-29-15 5:47 am
SYDNEY - More than 30 years after a series of bombings and shootings in Sydney left four people dead, police have arrested a 68-year-old suspect in a case that terrorized Australia's legal fraternity.
- 8 Australian men charged with 500 sex offenses against girl Updated: Jul-29-15 3:55 am
PERTH, Australia - An Australian man was accused Wednesday of allowing seven men to sexually abuse his 13-year-old daughter over the past two years, with police charging all eight men with more than 500 child sex offenses.
- 5 things to know about artificial intelligence and its use Updated: Jul-28-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - In the sci-fi thriller "Ex Machina," the wonders and dangers of artificial intelligence are embodied in a beautiful, cunning android named Ava. She puts her electronic smarts to work with frightening results, manipulating and outwitting her human handlers.
- Loss-making AirAsia X aims to be profitable by year-end Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X said Tuesday it expects to return to operational profit by the end of the year and is open to foreign investment.
- Australian charged after police say he planned to fight IS Updated: Jul-27-15 10:34 pm
SYDNEY - An Australian man appeared in court Tuesday on terror charges after police say he tried to join Kurdish-aligned forces battling the Islamic State group in Iraq.
- Worldwide strengthening El Nino giveth and taketh away Updated: Jul-27-15 4:37 pm
WASHINGTON - In California, they're counting on it to end an historic drought; in Peru, they've already declared a pre-emptive emergency to prepare for devastating flooding. It's both an economic stimulus and a recession-maker. And it's likely to increase the price of coffee, chocolate and sugar.
- Steven Adams unavailable for New Zealand national team Updated: Jul-27-15 2:26 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Oklahoma City Thunder center Steven Adams has made himself unavailable for New Zealand's Oceania Olympic basketball qualifying series against Australia next month.
- Cambage ruled out of Australia squad after skipping camp Updated: Jul-26-15 11:18 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Liz Cambage has been ruled out Australia's squad for games against Japan and the Oceania Olympic qualifying series against New Zealand after skipping a training camp to attend a music festival.
- Australia's Rebecca Artis wins Ladies Scottish Open Updated: Jul-26-15 4:17 pm
TROON, Scotland - Australia's Rebecca Artis rallied to win the Ladies Scottish Open, shooting a 6-under 66 on Sunday in windy and rainy conditions for a two-stroke victory over Norway's Suzann Pettersen.
- Ronaldo shines, Delph injured as Madrid beats Man City 4-1 Updated: Jul-24-15 8:59 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Cristiano Ronaldo scored one goal and was unlucky not to have another as Real Madrid beat Manchester City 4-1 in front of almost 100,000 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in a friendly on Friday.
- Virginia Zoo opens Australia Walkabout exhibit Updated: Jul-24-15 7:17 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Virginia Zoo has opened its Australia Walkabout exhibit.
- Gombau leaves A-League, replaced by Guillermo Amor Updated: Jul-24-15 3:20 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Josep Gombau has been released from his Adelaide United coaching contract a year early on compassionate grounds and replaced by former Barcelona and Spain midfielder Guillermo Amor.
- Cleric suspected of child abuse in US jailed in Australia Updated: Jul-24-15 3:13 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - An American clergyman suspected of child sexual abuse at a Pennsylvania school was sentenced on Friday to three years in an Australian prison for molesting three children in Melbourne more than 30 years ago.
- UK teen admits inciting others to attack Australia police Updated: Jul-23-15 6:07 am
LONDON - A 15-year-old British boy pleaded guilty on Thursday to inciting terrorism by encouraging another teenager to kill police officers during a war memorial ceremony in Australia.
- Rafael Benitez says Sergio Ramos to stay with Real Madrid Updated: Jul-23-15 2:36 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Real Madrid manager Rafael Benitez says defender Sergio Ramos will "100 percent" stay with the Spanish club and not make a move to Manchester United.
- Australia says Vietnamese asylum seekers could be sent home Updated: Jul-22-15 7:02 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The Australian government said on Wednesday that a boat carrying dozens of Vietnamese asylum seekers intercepted close to the northwest coast could be sent back to Vietnam.