- Australia to pass law to strip citizenship for terror crimes Updated: May-26-15 12:59 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia plans to pass a law within weeks to give the government power to strip citizenship from dual nationals who are suspected terrorists even if they are not convicted of a crime, the prime minister said Tuesday.
- California looks to Australia for tips on surviving drought Updated: May-25-15 9:32 pm
SYDNEY - California has turned to the world's driest inhabited continent for solutions to its longest and sharpest drought on record.
- Australia rejects Vietnamese refugee claims in 40 minutes Updated: May-25-15 8:58 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia secretly held a group of 46 Vietnamese asylum seekers on a warship at sea for almost a month and rejected their refugee claims during interviews that took as little as 40 minutes before returning them all to Vietnam last month, officials said.
- Sydney siege inquest: Gunman secretive, defiant narcissist Updated: May-25-15 3:46 am
SYDNEY - The man who took 18 people hostage at a Sydney cafe last year was educated and erratic, secretive about his own life and public about his many grievances, and a self-obsessed fabulist whose life was spiraling downward in the lead-up to his deadly attack, lawyers told an inquest Monday.
- Australia to bring home bodies of 25 who died in Vietnam War Updated: May-24-15 10:30 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia announced Monday that it will repatriate the remains of up to 25 Australian soldiers killed about 50 years ago during the Vietnam War.
- Aussies select full-strength squad for Cup qualifying opener Updated: May-24-15 9:44 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Asian Cup champion Australia has selected a full-strength squad including Tim Cahill and Mile Jedinak for its opening World Cup qualifier in Kyrgyzstan.
- Sweden wins Eurovision Song Contest while Russia is booed Updated: May-23-15 9:07 pm
VIENNA - Sweden beat Russia to win the 60th Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday, in an event described by organizers as beyond politics but marred by boos for the Russian that were apparently prompted by the Ukraine conflict and the Kremlin's anti-gay policies.
- Defending 100-meter champion Magnusssen out of swim worlds Updated: May-23-15 7:14 pm
SYDNEY - Defending 100-meter freestyle champion James Magnussen of Australia will miss the July world swimming championships in Kazan, Russia, due to left shoulder surgery.
- Australia in Europe's Song Contest? In a word, yes. Updated: May-22-15 9:11 am
VIENNA - For the first time in its 60-year history, the Eurovision Song Contest may be won by - Australia.
- Cambodia accepts 4 refugees under Australia agreement Updated: May-21-15 11:37 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Four refugees rejected by Australia who have agreed to resettle in Cambodia will likely become examples that other refugees will follow, an Australian minister said Friday.
- Exodus from New Zealand to Australia reverses after 24 years Updated: May-21-15 3:01 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Australia's warmer climate and higher wages have long lured droves of New Zealanders across the Tasman Sea with the aim of making a better life in the "lucky country."
- Sydney signs Senegal player Tavares for 2 more years Updated: May-20-15 10:56 pm
SYDNEY - Sydney FC has extended the contract of French-born Senegal international Mickael Tavares for a further two A-League seasons.
- Vatican finance minister denies Australian bribe allegation Updated: May-20-15 9:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Pope Francis' finance minister has denied an allegation that he offered a bribe to a victim of clergy abuse to protect a pedophile priest.
- From middle-class Australian to Islamic State bride Updated: May-20-15 9:18 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Quietly - almost secretly - Zehra Duman morphed from private school student to Islamic State bride and online recruiter for the movement. Her family did not see it coming.
- 24 little penguins from Australia go on display at Bronx Zoo Updated: May-20-15 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - Two dozen members of the world's smallest penguin species have taken up residence at the Bronx Zoo.
- FFA terminates Newcastle license over financial issues Updated: May-20-15 3:00 am
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has terminated the Newcastle Jets' A-League operating license hours after financially troubled owner Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of 2.7 million Australian dollars ($2.14 million).
- Catholic brother from US convicted of sex abuse in Australia Updated: May-18-15 3:19 am
SYDNEY - A Catholic brother accused of sex abuse in the U.S. has been convicted in Australia of a string of sex offenses dating back to the 1970s, when he taught at a Catholic school in Melbourne.
- Melbourne Victory win A-League title, beat Sydney FC 3-0 Updated: May-17-15 6:47 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Albanian striker Besart Berisha added to his team-leading goal total in the biggest match of the season, helping the Melbourne Victory to a 3-0 win over Sydney FC in the A-League grand final Sunday.
- Stuttgart, Germany awarded 2019 world gymnastics titles Updated: May-16-15 10:09 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) has awarded the 2019 world championships to Stuttgart, Germany.
- Jorgensen wins Yokohama race to claim 4th world series win Updated: May-16-15 2:18 am
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Gwen Jorgensen of the United States won her fourth world series triathlon event of the year on Saturday to extend her winning streak to nine races.
- Gymnastics federation reduces Olympic team sizes to 4 from 5 Updated: May-15-15 9:42 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) said Saturday it had approved "with an overwhelming majority" a new format that will see the number of gymnasts in the team competition be reduced from five gymnasts to four for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Pup-roar: Johnny Depp's dogs escape Australian death threat Updated: May-15-15 8:06 am
SYDNEY - Facing the threat of imminent death, Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo fled Australia for the United States on Friday after Australia's agriculture minister angrily accused the Hollywood actor of sneaking the pups into the country.
- Asian champion Western Sydney cut 10 players in Australia Updated: May-15-15 3:37 am
SYDNEY - Asian champion Western Sydney has sacked 10 players after a poor domestic A-League season, including Socceroo striker Tomi Juric and Champions League hero and goalkeeper Ante Covic.
- A-League final: anybody got a ticket for Sydney vs Victory? Updated: May-14-15 8:33 pm
The Melbourne Victory will host Sydney FC in the A-League's grand final on Sunday in a stadium that, quite frankly, is only about half as big as they'd prefer.
- Cricket Australia orders review into Phillip Hughes death Updated: May-14-15 2:33 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Cricket Australia will commission an independent review into the death of batsman Phillip Hughes in an attempt to prevent such on-field accidents from occurring in the future.