- Pregnant Australian woman tests positive for Zika virus Updated: Feb-10-16 7:23 am
SYDNEY - A pregnant woman in Australia has tested positive for the Zika virus after traveling overseas, health officials said Wednesday.
- Global stocks turn higher ahead of Yellen testimony Updated: Feb-10-16 7:21 am
LONDON - European stocks rose Wednesday and Wall Street was expected to open higher ahead of testimony from the Federal Reserve chief that could either ease market turmoil or add to it. Asian markets mostly fell in a spillover sell-off from the previous day's losses.
- US WWII vet reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia Updated: Feb-10-16 3:51 am
SYDNEY - A 93-year-old World War II veteran from the United States embraced his wartime girlfriend in Australia in their reunion Wednesday after more than 70 years apart.
- Aussie lawmakers gifted designer watches, think they're fake Updated: Feb-10-16 2:46 am
SYDNEY - Australia's former prime minister and two other politicians were gifted designer watches by a Chinese businessman - but initially kept them only because they thought the 40,000 Australian dollar ($28,000) timepieces were fake, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- Australia drops charge against suspected Kurdish militant Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The government has dropped a charge against an Australian man accused of preparing to fight with Kurdish militants against the Islamic State movement.
- 1st of 4 WBC qualifying tournaments set for Sydney Updated: Feb-09-16 7:53 pm
SYDNEY - The first of four regional qualifiers for next year's World Baseball Classic begins Thursday with host team Australia aiming to advance to the final 16 and improve on its poor record in past tournaments.
- US drawn against Australia in Fed Cup playoffs Updated: Feb-09-16 9:58 am
LONDON - The United States will travel to Australia in April as they try to win back their place in the top tier of the Fed Cup.
- Retired Olympian wanted for security fraud in Utah County Updated: Feb-08-16 1:09 pm
PROVO, Utah - The Utah County Sheriff's Office is actively seeking a retired Olympian on investigation of security fraud.
- WWII vet begins journey to reunite with wartime girlfriend Updated: Feb-08-16 7:23 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A World War II veteran has embarked on a 10,500-mile journey to visit his wartime girlfriend after more than 70 years apart.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Bencic, Hingis help Switzerland beat Germany 3-2 in Fed Cup Updated: Feb-07-16 2:31 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Belinda Bencic and Australian Open doubles champion Martina Hingis sent Switzerland to the Fed Cup semifinals with a 3-2 win over Germany on Sunday.
- Brisbane wins big but Western Sydney still tops A-League Updated: Feb-07-16 4:42 am
SYDNEY - Brisbane joined Western Sydney atop the A-League table by beating last-place Central Coast 4-0 in the weekend's 18th round.
- Kennaugh leads Froome after 3 stages of Melbourne cycle tour Updated: Feb-06-16 2:10 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Britain's Peter Kennaugh and Chris Froome retain the top-two placings on general classification entering Sunday's final stage of the Herald-Sun Cycle Tour.
- Coroner rules out driver, trainer error in Edwards death Updated: Feb-05-16 12:13 am
BRISBANE, Australia - A coronial inquest into the death of British racing driver Sean Edwards at an Australian speedway in 2013 has found that mechanical failure caused the accident.
- Australia resists pressure to allow asylum seekers to stay Updated: Feb-03-16 11:53 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is resisting mounting international pressure not to deport child asylum seekers, with a minister warning Thursday that allowing them to stay could attract more refugees to come by boat.
- Expert: Parents often won't take surrogate kids with defects Updated: Feb-03-16 11:36 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A newborn Down syndrome baby left by his Australian biological father with his poor surrogate mother in Thailand was one of several cases of surrogate children abandoned because of defects, an expert told a parliamentary inquiry on Thursday.
- Kevin Magnussen replaces Pastor Maldonado in Renault F1 team Updated: Feb-03-16 1:00 pm
GUYANCOURT, France - Former McLaren driver Kevin Magnussen is Renault's new driver this year in the French carmaker's return to Formula One as a racing team.
- Police: Australian school bomb threats coming from overseas Updated: Feb-03-16 3:35 am
SYDNEY - Dozens of schools around Australia have received threats over the past week in what police believe is a hoax being orchestrated overseas.
- Lawmakers allowed to breastfeed in Australian Parliament Updated: Feb-02-16 7:25 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Lawmakers can now breastfeed in the Australian Parliament after the government changed the rules on Tuesday to make politics more family-friendly. But none of the nursing mothers appeared keen to take up the opportunity.
- Australian official says PM is considering an early election Updated: Feb-02-16 12:17 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister told government colleagues Tuesday that an early general election within weeks was "a live option," an official said.
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- Hingis, Mirza win Australian Open doubles title Updated: Jan-29-16 3:21 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza maintained their perfect record in Grand Slam doubles finals, beating the Czech pair of Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka 7-6 (1), 6-3 at the Australian Open on Friday to extend their winning streak to 36 matches on the way to a third major title.
- Chinese ship with advanced sonar to search for Flight 370 Updated: Jan-29-16 12:23 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A Chinese ship equipped with advanced sonar equipment will soon join the search for the Malaysian airliner believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean almost two years ago, an official said on Friday.