- Australian man sentenced to US prison term for child porn Updated: May-04-16 6:16 am
ALBANY, New York - A 40-year-old Australian man has been sentenced to more than six years in a U.S. prison for distributing and possessing child pornography while living in upstate New York.
- Australia rules out sale of cattle empire to foreigners Updated: May-04-16 1:04 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's treasurer says his government will never sell Australia's largest cattle empire to foreigners.
- Prime minister says Australia to have July 2 election Updated: May-03-16 10:57 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's election campaign will officially start soon with climate change policy and union corruption in the national building industry shaping into key battlegrounds for the July 2 poll.
- Australia plans to halve budget deficit within 3 years Updated: May-03-16 7:27 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's government said Tuesday it plans to reduce its budget deficit by more than half in three years while maintaining momentum in a sluggish economy with personal and business tax cuts.
- Australia cuts key interest rate to record low 1.75 percent Updated: May-03-16 2:00 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's central bank on Tuesday cut its benchmark interest rate to a record low 1.75 percent as it responded to a low outlook for inflation.
- Refugee sets herself alight at immigration camp on Nauru Updated: May-02-16 9:52 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A Somali refugee was critically injured when she set herself on fire at an Australian immigration camp on the Pacific island nation of Nauru three days after an Iranian refugee died of injuries sustained in a similar apparent protest, officials said.
- Australia to host its first Basketball without Borders camp Updated: May-02-16 7:50 pm
NEW YORK - Australia will host a Basketball without Borders camp for the first time next month.
- 'Oi Oi Oi!': SMU signs 2nd Australian for men's basketball Updated: May-02-16 12:33 pm
DALLAS - SMU has signed a second player from Australia to a national letter of intent for the upcoming men's basketball season.
- Syrian-Australian suspect arrested in north Lebanon Updated: May-02-16 6:37 am
BEIRUT - Lebanese authorities have arrested a dual Syrian-Australian national in northern Lebanon on suspicion of terrorism, Lebanese security officials said Monday.
- French leader says all new subs will be built in Australia Updated: May-02-16 1:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A new fleet of French-designed Australian submarines will be built in Australia on time and within budget, the French prime minister said on Monday.
- Adelaide beats Western Sydney 3-1 in A-League final Updated: May-01-16 4:54 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Substitute Pablo Sanchez scored in the last minute to clinch Adelaide United's 3-1 win over Western Sydney in the grand final of Australian football's A-League Sunday, giving the Reds their first title and leaving the Wanderers runners-up for the third time in four years.
- Lucie Safarova wins Prague Open for 7th career WTA title Updated: Apr-30-16 9:03 am
PRAGUE - Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic came from a set down to win the Prague Open, overcoming Sam Stosur of Australia 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the final on Saturday.
- 8 killed in 1982 Investor murders remembered in exhibit Updated: Apr-30-16 7:01 am
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Does the time ever come when a community stops remembering a murdered group of its own? In the case of Blaine, possibly not.
- Cyclist Yates can keep racing despite positive doping test Updated: Apr-29-16 1:17 pm
AIGLE, Switzerland - British cyclist Simon Yates can continue to race despite a positive doping test during the Paris-Nice race, the International Cycling Union said Friday.
- Hackett apologizes for "pure stupidity" in groping incident Updated: Apr-29-16 1:37 am
GOLD COAST, Australia - Two-time Olympic 1,500-meter freestyle champion Grant Hackett has publicly apologized for a drunken incident on a flight home from the Australian Olympic trials earlier this month, when he was accused of groping a male passenger who reclined the seat in front of him.
- Australian believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan Updated: Apr-29-16 1:00 am
SYDNEY - An Australian aid worker is believed to have been kidnapped in Afghanistan, Australian officials said on Friday, as her father issued a plea for her safe return.
- UK company fined for misleading Australians over painkillers Updated: Apr-29-16 12:12 am
SYDNEY - An Australian court ordered a British consumer goods company on Friday to pay 1.7 million Australian dollars ($1.3 million) in penalties after ruling that the company misled consumers about the effectiveness of a popular painkiller.
- HanesBrands soars on deal to buy Australian underwear seller Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of HanesBrands soared Thursday, a day after the company said it is buying Australian underwear seller Pacific Brands Ltd. for about $800 million.
- Report: Lego denial of Ai Weiwei order due to mistake Updated: Apr-28-16 11:18 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, whose family owns the Lego group, says "an internal mistake" led the company to deny a bulk order last year from Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei, who wanted toy bricks for an exhibition in Australia.
- Australian leader defends gun controls on tragic anniversary Updated: Apr-27-16 9:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that a review of national gun laws would not weaken strict regulations that had kept Australians safer since 35 people were shot dead by a mass murderer 20 years ago.
- 1 Albanian arrested, 2 at large in human trafficking scam Updated: Apr-26-16 11:33 am
TIRANA, Albania - Albanian police say they have arrested a man and are hunting for two women for allegedly defrauding more than two dozen people in a human trafficking scam.
- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.
- Diego Castro wins top individual award in Australian soccer Updated: Apr-26-16 8:03 am
SYDNEY - Perth Glory winger Diego Castro has won the top individual honor in Australia's A-League.
- Australian teen pleads not guilty to plotting terror attack Updated: Apr-25-16 10:31 pm
SYDNEY - A teenager pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to plotting a terrorist attack on an Australian Veteran's Day ceremony.
- Ex-world time trial champ Rogers retires with heart problem Updated: Apr-25-16 8:10 pm
SYDNEY - Former time-trial world champion Michael Rogers has retired from competitive cycling because of a heart condition.