- AP investigation prompts new round of slave rescues Updated: Jul-30-15 11:56 pm
Authorities in Papua New Guinea have rescued eight fishermen held on board a Thai-owned refrigerated cargo ship, and dozens of other boats are still being sought in response to an Associated Press report that included satellite photos and locations of slave vessels at sea.
- WWII pilot's remains arrive in NY for burial in his hometown Updated: Jul-29-15 1:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - While growing up in central New York, Mark Shoemaker heard plenty of stories from family members about his Uncle Eddie, a World War II fighter pilot who never returned from the Pacific Theater.
- AP Exclusive: AP tracks slave boats to Papua New Guinea Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 am
YANGON, Myanmar - From space, the fishing boats are just little white specks floating in a vast stretch of blue water off Papua New Guinea. But zoom in and there's the critical evidence: Two trawlers loading slave-caught seafood onto a massive refrigerated cargo ship.
- Anthropologist killed in crash left NY for jungle adventures Updated: Jul-25-15 9:02 am
ALBANY, New York - During her nearly quarter-century living in one of the most remote places on earth, Nancy Sullivan explored crocodile-infested rivers, endured numerous bouts of malaria and advocated for tribal societies threatened by encroaching development.
- New Zealand ejected from Oceania Olympic qualifier Updated: Jul-12-15 3:47 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand has been ejected from Sunday's final of the Oceania Olympic qualifying football series after being found to have fielded an ineligible player during a semifinal against Vanuatu.
- Young Micronesian soccer side overwhelmed at Pacific Games Updated: Jul-07-15 10:05 pm
The players were mostly teenagers, many of them away from their villages in the Federated States of Micronesia for the first time. And as it turned out, on the steepest of learning curves in the Pacific Games soccer tournament in Papua New Guinea.
- Fiji beats Micronesia 38-0 in Pacific Games football match Updated: Jul-05-15 2:36 am
PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea - Pacific Games organizers say Fiji broke the record for the biggest win in international football with a 38-0 victory Sunday over the Federated States of Micronesia.