- Affleck casts spotlight on situation in Congo Updated: Feb-26-14 4:56 pm
- UN: 400,000 displaced by southeast Congo attacks Updated: Feb-24-14 11:49 am
- Former child soldier wants Wyoming refugee office Updated: Feb-22-14 3:22 pm
- Journalist killed in eastern Congo ambush Updated: Feb-16-14 7:43 am
- UN says 70 people hacked to death in Congo Updated: Feb-14-14 6:43 am
- Court hears Congo warlord Ntaganda evidence Updated: Feb-10-14 11:20 am
WASHINGTON - Academy award-winner Ben Affleck understands that celebrity is a double-edged sword, helping him draw attention to the strife and suffering in the Congo while attracting skeptics dismissive of Hollywood stars and causes.
KINSHASA, Congo - The U.N. says 400,000 people have been displaced in recent months by fighting involving local militia groups in Congo's mineral-rich southeast Katanga province.
CASPER, Wyoming - Bertine Bahige hid under his bed while gunshots echoed throughout his hometown of Bukavu in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The sound of his mother's screams dimmed the pings of bullets when the rebel soldiers entered his home. He watched a rebel smack his mother unconscious with the butt of a gun.
KINSHASA, Congo - Colleagues say a journalist covering military operations in eastern Congo has been killed in an ambush.
KINSHASA, Congo - The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Congo says that at least 70 people were killed in the Masisi territory of troubled eastern Congo.
AMSTERDAM - Judges at the International Criminal Court began hearing arguments Monday about whether to put Bosco Ntaganda, a former rebel leader in Congo's unstable eastern region, on trial for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity.