- UK lawmakers slam lax security in Taliban attack Updated: Apr-16-14 6:49 am
- Afghan policeman shoots, wounds female lawmaker Updated: Apr-16-14 6:31 am
- Live fire exercise scheduled at Fort Knox Updated: Apr-16-14 4:04 am
- Former Army sergeant to receive Medal of Honor Updated: Apr-15-14 6:48 pm
- US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,177 Updated: Apr-15-14 4:04 pm
- Media group names award after AP's Niedringhaus Updated: Apr-15-14 1:46 pm
- Veteran seeks Iraq, Afghan war monument in Pontiac Updated: Apr-15-14 11:04 am
- Vet with no left leg to run in Boston Marathon Updated: Apr-14-14 4:02 pm
- Abdullah, Ghani lead in partial Afghan vote tally Updated: Apr-13-14 3:58 pm
- Wounded soldier, family ready for next chapter Updated: Apr-13-14 9:43 am
- Schumer requests NYC parade for returning troops Updated: Apr-13-14 7:04 am
- Del. National Guard hosting welcome home ceremony Updated: Apr-13-14 4:49 am
- AP photographer captured humanity amid chaos Updated: Apr-12-14 12:40 pm
- Tampa-based military dog retires with honors Updated: Apr-11-14 1:05 pm
- Drone used to scout Skagit Valley elk herd Updated: Apr-11-14 1:05 pm
- Turkmen president: 2015 start for pipeline work Updated: Apr-11-14 12:19 pm
- Oshkosh Corp. laying off 760 from defense division Updated: Apr-10-14 5:13 pm
- Hagel seeks to increase ties with Mongolia Updated: Apr-10-14 7:47 am
- Afghan probe begins in attack on AP journalists Updated: Apr-10-14 3:41 am
- Fallen Rangers posthumously awarded Bronze Star Updated: Apr-09-14 8:10 am
- Michigan soldier earns Silver Star for Afghan duty Updated: Apr-07-14 4:14 am
- Obama praises Afghans on presidential election Updated: Apr-05-14 8:44 pm
- AP reporter in stable condition in Afghanistan Updated: Apr-05-14 4:40 pm
- Ala National Guard units headed to Afghanistan Updated: Apr-05-14 5:34 am
- Acclaimed photographer Anja Niedringhaus dies Updated: Apr-04-14 7:05 pm
LONDON - British lawmakers said Wednesday that U.K. commanders' complacency and inadequate security were partly to blame for the failure to stop a Taliban attack on a U.S-British base in Afghanistan that killed two U.S. Marines.
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan policeman has opened fire and wounded a female lawmaker in the country's capital, Kabul, during what authorities described as a "dispute" between the two.
FORT KNOX, Kentucky - A live fire training exercise is scheduled to take place at Fort Knox.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Honor to former Army Sergeant Kyle J. White, who put his own life at risk in an hours-long effort to save fellow service members during a 2007 ambush in Afghanistan.
As of Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at least 2,177 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count.
NEW YORK - A women's media group has created a new award for courage honoring Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus, who was killed on assignment in Afghanistan, the group announced Tuesday.
PONTIAC, Illinois - A U.S. Navy veteran from Pontiac wants to put up a monument to honor Livingston County residents who served in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
TACOMA, Washington - The first six times Edward Lychik told his physical therapist he wanted to run again, she was noncommittal, and with good reason.
KABUL, Afghanistan - Two clear front-runners emerged in Afghanistan's presidential election as partial results released Sunday showed a tight race that increasingly appears destined for a runoff vote.
GUNTERSVILLE, Alabama - Corey Garmon has a lot to celebrate as he gets ready to begin a new chapter in his life.
NEW YORK - Sen. Charles Schumer is proposing a New York City homecoming parade for troops returned from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.
DOVER, Delaware - The Delaware National Guard will host a welcome home ceremony for approximately 300 members returning from Afghanistan.
HOEXTER, Germany - Hundreds of mourners packed a church in central Germany on Saturday to remember Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus, who was killed on assignment in Afghanistan last week after a life spent between the chaos of war and the serenity of her rural birthplace.
TAMPA, Florida - A bomb-sniffing dog credited with saving a military patrol in Afghanistan is retiring with full military honors.
MOUNT VERNON, Washington - Looking out over the town of Hamilton in the upper Skagit River valley from a hillside on state Department of Natural Resources land, a team of federal unmanned aircraft operators and local researchers scouted for elk.
ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan - Turkmenistan's president has demanded that construction work begin in 2015 on a pipeline that will carry natural gas from his energy-rich country to Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.
MILWAUKEE - Oshkosh Corp. said Thursday it plans to eliminate about 760 jobs from its defense division this summer, or 29 percent of the group's workforce, a decision driven by lower demand for its mine-resistant trucks and other military vehicles.
ULAN BATOR, Mongolia - After days of high-profile, pressure-filled meetings, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel got to horse around a bit during a short stop in Mongolia on Thursday.
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan central government authorities on Wednesday began questioning the police commander who killed an Associated Press photographer and wounded an AP reporter, a day after he was transferred by helicopter to the capital - a rare case in which an Afghan officer or soldier who shot a foreigner was captured alive.
COLUMBUS, Georgia - Six months after they were killed by an IED in Kandahar, Afghanistan, Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins and Spc. Cody J. Patterson of the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment were posthumously awarded the Bronze Star with Valor Device during a combat awards ceremony Tuesday at Fort Benning.
BATTLE CREEK, Michigan - In the middle of it all, with the bullets whizzing and the bombs exploding and the situation deteriorating, Bob Hinsley returned a text message.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Saturday that Afghanistan's presidential election marks another milestone in the effort by the Afghan people to take full responsibility for their country as the United States and its allies gradually withdraw their forces.
KABUL, Afghanistan - An Associated Press correspondent shot and wounded while covering preparations for elections in Afghanistan was in stable condition Saturday and receiving medical treatment at a military hospital in Kabul.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Three more Alabama National Guard units are heading to Afghanistan.
Anja Niedringhaus faced down some of the world's greatest dangers and had one of the world's loudest and most infectious laughs. She photographed dying and death, and embraced humanity and life. She gave herself to the subjects of her lens, and gave her talents to the world, with images of wars' unwitting victims in Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia and beyond.