- Beijing bid faces same old questions ahead of 2022 IOC vote Updated: Jul-28-15 10:54 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Two of China's most storied winter Olympic athletes faced tough questions about Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Games - namely about air pollution and a lack of snow.
- A look at Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-28-15 4:53 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - The Central Asian city of Almaty is vying with Beijing to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The winner will be selected Friday in a vote of the International Olympic Committee in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here's a quick look at Almaty's bid:
- Almaty offers traditional winter setting in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Instead of grand talk about how the Olympics will break new ground by going to a majority-Muslim country for the first time, or by making their first visit to Central Asia, Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Games is about tradition.
- World Trade Organization approves Kazakhstan's membership Updated: Jul-27-15 4:44 pm
BERLIN - Kazakhstan is set to become the 162nd member of the World Trade Organization after the Geneva-based body formally approved the country's membership Monday.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- Beijing touts experience, facilities in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-27-15 2:32 am
BEIJING - Beijing has marketed its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the reliable choice, despite concerns about a lack of natural snow, notoriously bad air pollution and warnings about the government's treatment of political dissidents and minority groups.
- Beijing faces Almaty in IOC vote for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-26-15 9:22 am
The world's most populous nation against a new kid on the block. A global capital that hosted an Olympics just a few years ago against a city which many people may not be able to find on a map. A Chinese region with few big mountains and little natural snow against a former Soviet winter sports resort surrounded by towering peaks and plenty of real snow.
- Golovkin, Lemieux to meet in 160-lb title unification bout Updated: Jul-25-15 7:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - Gennady Golovkin will meet David Lemieux in a three-belt middleweight title unification bout Oct. 17 in New York.
- Glacial melt blamed for flood in Central Asian city Almaty Updated: Jul-23-15 2:11 pm
MOSCOW - Officials in Kazakhstan say a flood that forced the evacuation of hundreds of people from the outskirts of the country's largest city was due to the rapid melting of a glacier in the nearby mountains.
- Human rights groups criticize both 2022 Winter Olympic bids Updated: Jul-23-15 9:26 am
Watchdog groups criticized the human rights records of China and Kazakhstan on Thursday, just over a week before the IOC decides on whether to award the 2022 Winter Olympics to Beijing or Almaty.
- Kazakhstan's hostility toward gays under fire Updated: Jul-23-15 6:38 am
MOSCOW - A leading human rights organization has criticized Kazakhstan's hostility toward gay people ahead of a vote to pick the host for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Russian capsule docks with International Space Station Updated: Jul-22-15 11:25 pm
BAIKONUR, Kazakhstan - A Soyuz space capsule carrying a Russian, an American and a Japanese docked smoothly Thursday with the International Space Station.
- Astana creates new controversy at Tour de France Updated: Jul-04-15 12:36 pm
UTRECHT, Netherlands - On the very first day of the Tour de France, Vincenzo Nibali's Astana team found itself at the heart of another controversy after allowing one of its riders to start the race despite questions raised over his testing results.