- Official: Top Burundi general assassinated in the capital Updated: Aug-02-15 7:29 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's former intelligence chief who was a key security ally of President Pierre Nkurunziza was killed Sunday in a drive-by shooting in the capital, Bujumbura, a presidential spokesman said.
- Burundi's president urges unity after contentious polls Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's re-elected president is urging unity after winning contentious polls that the international community says were not credible.
- Obama delivers frank words about Africa's problems Updated: Jul-28-15 4:49 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama arrived in East Africa with no big American aid packages, no ramped up U.S. military resources for fighting terror groups and no new initiatives with billions in government backing.
- White House Notebook: Third term? Obama says no thanks Updated: Jul-28-15 10:01 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Could President Barack Obama win a third term in office? He's convinced that he could, but would really rather not.
- UN says Burundi election wasn't 'inclusive, free, credible' Updated: Jul-27-15 1:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. electoral observers in Burundi say last week's election that won President Pierre Nkurunziza a controversial third term took place in an environment that was "not conducive for an inclusive, free and credible electoral process."
- Burundi: President Nkurunziza wins controversial third term Updated: Jul-24-15 12:44 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's President Pierre Nkurunziza has won a third term in office, an electoral official announced Friday, amid controversy over whether his new term is constitutional.
- Rwandan lawmakers vote to support third term for president Updated: Jul-14-15 1:12 pm
KIGALI, Rwanda - Rwandan lawmakers on Tuesday voted in support of a petition to remove presidential term limits from the country's constitution, starting a process that could see President Paul Kagame extend his rule beyond two terms.
- Burundi military: 31 suspected rebels killed in fighting Updated: Jul-13-15 12:35 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's army killed 31 suspected rebels and captured 170 others in fighting in the country's north, a military spokesman said on Monday.
- UN says children being killed in Burundi's violence Updated: Jul-03-15 6:19 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Children are suffering as a result of instability and election-related violence in Burundi including three killed in the last five days and dozens forced to flee from school, the U.N. children's agency said Friday.