- Burundi's former President Jean-Baptiste Bagaza dies Updated: May-04-16 12:08 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's government says former President Jean-Baptiste Bagaza has died in Belgium, where he received medical care for two weeks.
- Burundi: General assassinated in attack in capital Updated: Apr-25-16 2:44 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - A military general in Burundi who was an adviser to the country's vice president and two others were shot dead in the capital, a military official said Monday. It is the latest killing in an upsurge of violence including tortures and increased disappearances that have created a climate of fear and led more than 250,000 people to flee to neighboring countries.
- UN prosecutor opens early probe into Burundi atrocities Updated: Apr-25-16 6:09 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court has opened a preliminary probe into atrocities in Burundi over the last year, saying violence in the African nation has reportedly left more than 430 people dead and forced 230,000 to flee their homes.
- Burundi official: 4 killed in violence in Burundi Updated: Apr-21-16 1:43 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - A Burundian official says a military officer was among four people killed in violence associated with the extended tenure of President Pierre Nkurunziza.
- Blatter claims role in trying to remove African president Updated: Apr-21-16 12:47 pm
ZURICH - Reveling in his international diplomacy role, former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has revealed he was asked by Switzerland's foreign ministry last year to help persuade an African president to leave office.
- Burundi group blames police for rising disappearances Updated: Apr-13-16 2:40 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - When security officials in Burundi show up looking for someone, they don't even have to produce an arrest warrant. And when they take a suspect away, the terrified family members left behind just hope their relative will be held at a known jail.