- South Sudan's leader refuses to sign peace deal Updated: Aug-17-15 3:56 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - South Sudan's President Salva Kiir refused Monday to sign a peace agreement with rebel forces, saying he needs more time, mediators said Monday.
- South Sudan's warring leaders go into negotiations Updated: Aug-16-15 1:25 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Leaders from the South Sudan's warring factions are in Ethiopia in a last ditch effort to sign a peace deal ahead of Monday's deadline to end the country's civil war.
- African Union: Burundi at risk of sliding further into chaos Updated: Aug-16-15 11:45 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Burundi's recent violence shows the country is at risk of sliding into chaos with catastrophic results for the Central African nation and surrounding countries, the African Union's top official said Sunday.
- Split among South Sudan rebels threatens peace efforts Updated: Aug-12-15 1:29 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - A rebel official negotiating with South Sudan's government says there is a split within the rebel ranks.
- Cattle dying as seasonal rains fail in parts of Ethiopia Updated: Aug-10-15 6:53 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Seasonal rains have failed to materialize in some parts of Ethiopia, causing deaths of many cattle and other animals, officials and residents said on Monday.
- Ethiopia jails 18 Muslims over alleged terror Updated: Aug-03-15 3:14 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - A court in Ethiopia has handed jail terms ranging from seven to 22 years against 18 Muslims who were convicted on terror charges, including allegedly attempting to establish a religious government.
- Obama delivers frank words about Africa's problems Updated: Jul-28-15 4:49 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama arrived in East Africa with no big American aid packages, no ramped up U.S. military resources for fighting terror groups and no new initiatives with billions in government backing.
- Obama draws criticism for saying Ethiopia is democratic Updated: Jul-28-15 12:59 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Some African activists have greeted President Barack Obama's remarks that Ethiopia has a democratically elected government with scorn and concern.
- White House Notebook: Third term? Obama says no thanks Updated: Jul-28-15 10:01 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Could President Barack Obama win a third term in office? He's convinced that he could, but would really rather not.