- Kenya's Kandie wins Prague international marathon Updated: May-03-15 6:30 am
PRAGUE - Felix Kipchirchir Kandie of Kenya won the Prague International Marathon on Sunday while Yebrgual Melese of Ethiopia claimed the women's race.
- Ethiopia ponders stiffer penalties for human smuggling Updated: Apr-28-15 9:22 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Ethiopia is drafting a new law to stiffen punishments for human trafficking in an attempt to stem a wave of dangerous migrations to Europe, the Ministry of Justice said.
- Ethiopia appoints Yohannes as national team coach Updated: Apr-26-15 1:44 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The Ethiopian Football Federation has appointed local coach Yohannes Sahle to take charge of the national team following the departure of Mariano Barreto.
- Impoverished Africans sail to Europe despite the deadly toll Updated: Apr-23-15 12:05 pm
NIAKHAR, Senegal - Some sea voyages took Senegalese fisherman Samba Ngom away for up to three weeks at a time, but eventually he began dreaming of going further, to a place where he could make more money in a month than most compatriots make in a year.
- In Libya's anarchy, migrant smuggling a booming trade Updated: Apr-23-15 8:40 am
CAIRO - Libya's chaos has turned it into a lucrative magnet attracting migrants desperate to make the dangerous sea voyage to Europe. With no central authority to stop it, business is booming, with smugglers charging ever more as demand goes up, then using the profits to buy larger boats and heavier weapons to ensure no one dare touch them.
- Thousands of Ethiopians march against Islamic extremism Updated: Apr-22-15 7:49 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - More than 100,000 Ethiopians on Wednesday protested the killing of Ethiopian Christians in Libya and their own government's failure to raise living standards of the poor, with poverty fueling the flow of migrants through dangerous areas.
- Eritrea, North Korea called world's most censored states Updated: Apr-21-15 10:38 am
UNITED NATIONS - The small African nation of Eritrea tops even North Korea in its restrictions on the media, a new global report says.
- The Latest: Wheelchair champ gives wreath to Richards family Updated: Apr-20-15 9:16 pm
- WU Doctor to help change lives through sanitary pads Updated: Apr-17-15 3:47 pm
ST. LOUIS - Freweini Mebrahtu said that when Dr. Lewis Wall met her in Ethiopia and learned of her struggling project to save girls from dropping out of school by giving them reusable sanitary pads, Wall's first question was: "How can we give more pads?"
- Ethiopia's Lemma wins Vienna City Marathon after solo run Updated: Apr-12-15 10:11 am
VIENNA - Sisay Lemma of Ethiopia dominated the Vienna City Marathon Sunday, running on his own for the last 15 kilometers after other pre-race favorites struggled with the wind and injuries.
- Korir wins Paris marathon Updated: Apr-12-15 9:12 am
PARIS - Mark Korir of Kenya surprised many including himself as he won the Paris marathon on Sunday to claim the biggest victory of his career.