- Somalia president: No elections in 2016 Updated: Jul-30-15 6:11 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somalia's president is ruling out the possibility of holding elections that are due next year, citing security challenges stemming from an Islamic insurgency. Opposition parties charge that that his government is taking advantage of poor security to extend its mandate through postponement of elections.
- Somalia hotel truck bomb toll rises to 15 Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The massive truck bomb that killed 15 people, including a Kenyan diplomat, and wrecked Somalia's premier hotel has stunned the capital and raised fears Monday that the Islamic extremist al-Shabab rebels are escalating their violence.
- The Latest: Obama says South Sudan needs urgent attention Updated: Jul-27-15 7:43 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - The latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Ethiopia (all times local):
- Kenyan security on high alert ahead of Obama visit Updated: Jul-24-15 9:10 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A massive security operation is in place to protect President Barack Obama during his visit to Kenya, which has been frequently targeted by al-Shabab militants based in neighboring Somalia.
- AU, Somali troops drive al-Shabab out of major base Updated: Jul-22-15 1:50 pm
- Uganda sending combat helicopters to Somalia battle Updated: Jul-19-15 11:40 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda will send attack and transport helicopters to bolster its forces fighting the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab insurgency in Somalia, an army spokesman said Sunday.
- Somali militant leader said to be targeted in US airstrike Updated: Jul-16-15 8:40 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A senior commander with the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in southwestern Somalia, a Somali official and a militant commander said Thursday.
- Kenya says Islamic extremists kill 14 in Kenya's north Updated: Jul-07-15 10:42 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - At least 14 people were killed in an attack early Tuesday in the country's north by al-Shabab, Islamic extremist rebels from neighboring Somalia, a Kenyan official said.