- Offensive in Somalia sees militants flee 5 towns Updated: Mar-11-14 5:57 pm
- Skeletons uncovered in mass graves in Somalia Updated: Mar-06-14 12:47 pm
- Minn. Somali group fights al-Shabab message abroad Updated: Mar-01-14 12:56 pm
- Somaliland leaders want female genitals to be cut Updated: Mar-01-14 10:07 am
- Car bomb kills 11 at tea shop in Mogadishu Updated: Feb-27-14 8:08 am
- 50,000 Somali kids at risk: UN, gov't ask for help Updated: Feb-25-14 8:28 am
- Somali army invading Mogadishu homes after attack Updated: Feb-24-14 8:37 am
- 9 attackers dead: Somalia president palace attack Updated: Feb-21-14 4:47 pm
- Drugs on Maersk ship where 2 ex-SEALs died Updated: Feb-20-14 7:02 pm
- Hundreds in Somalia's capital flee clashes Updated: Feb-20-14 7:53 am
- Rights group: Saudis deport 12,000 Somalis Updated: Feb-19-14 10:55 am
- Stop! Somali traffic police try to restore order Updated: Feb-19-14 3:29 am
- Somali government accused of diverting weapons Updated: Feb-14-14 8:40 pm
- Police: Car bomb explodes outside Mogadishu hotel Updated: Feb-10-14 10:56 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Columns of African Union and Somali troops are moving deeper into land controlled by al-Qaida-linked militants, forcing fighters to flee from five towns in quick succession in a further squeezing of al-Shabab's strongholds.
HARGEISA, Somalia - An American volunteer gently brushes away dirt to reveal the bones of a Somali victim buried in a mass grave some 30 years ago. Tens of thousands of skeletons may lie in mass graves here, on the northern edge of Somalia, where many want to see justice prevail, even if delayed.
MINNEAPOLIS - While visiting a Somali refugee camp in Kenya, Mohamed Farah was struck by a young man who spends each day just waiting for it to end.
HARGEISA, Somalia - The 30 Somali teenagers - both boys and girls - all agreed: Female genital mutilation is harmful and the practice should be abandoned. But what they really meant, they revealed moments later, is that girls should have their genitalia cut - just not sewn shut.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A car bomb blast Thursday in a normally quiet Mogadishu neighborhood blew the facade off a tea shop where intelligence officers are known to congregate, killing at least 11 people, police said.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somalia's 2011 famine is over. Militants have been pushed out of Mogadishu. Political progress is being made. And yet the U.N. and Somali government are pleading with international donors to help a country they say is still in crisis.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Hooded soldiers carrying sniper rifles have unleashed a sweeping crackdown across Mogadishu in a hunt for militants and weapons after the country's al-Qaida-linked militants group's latest attack on the country's presidential palace.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Nine al-Shabab militants wearing military fatigues and carrying guns and grenades died after attacking the presidential palace with two car bombs on Friday, in an assault the president called a "media spectacular" by a "dying animal."
NORFOLK, Virginia - Drugs were in the room where two former Navy SEALs were found dead aboard the Maersk Alabama, a ship that was the focus of a 2009 hijacking dramatized in the movie "Captain Phillips," a company spokesman said Thursday.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Residents in Mogadishu say that hundreds of families are fleeing the Somali capital after a spike in the number of clashes between militants and pro-government troops.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabian authorities have deported more than 12,000 migrants held under "appalling conditions" back to their native Somalia, where many now face life-threatening situations, Human Rights Watch said Tuesday.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - "Stop!" a police officer in Somalia's capital yells as a traffic light flashes red. Most of the cars keep going. Angered, he steps into the middle of the road and gridlock follows. Mogadishu recently began installing road signs for the first time, trying to end a culture of "anything goes" on the streets.
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. experts monitoring the partial lifting of an arms embargo on Somalia are accusing the government of "high level and systematic abuses" which have allowed weapons and ammunition to get into the hands of clan leaders, warlords and al-Qaida-linked militants.
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A police officer in Somalia's capital says that a car bomb exploded outside a Mogadishu hotel as senior police officers were meeting inside.