- 14,000 people to elect next Somali parliament this year Updated: Apr-19-16 7:32 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Somalia's president said Tuesday a new electoral process for the Horn of Africa nation will be far more democratic this year when an electoral college of thousands elects members of parliament - compared to just 135 elders who selected the current members in 2012.
- Somali leaders give condolences on report of many drowned Updated: Apr-18-16 2:27 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The leaders of Somalia issued a joint condolence message to the nation Monday over an unconfirmed report that some migrants may have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea on a trip from Libya to Italy.
- Pentagon: Dozen militants killed in US airstrikes in Somalia Updated: Apr-12-16 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - A Pentagon spokesman says the U.S. conducted airstrikes Monday and Tuesday in Somalia that killed an estimated 12 militants affiliated with the al-Shabab Islamic extremist group.
- Somalia: Man executed for journalists' killings Updated: Apr-11-16 10:12 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A former journalist who joined the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab was executed Monday by firing squad in Somalia's capital for the killings of five Somali journalists.
- Surrounded by positives, young Somali chose Islamic State Updated: Apr-09-16 5:24 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - As a spoken word artist, Abdirizak Mohamed Warsame liked to talk to other young Somalis about following their dreams. In a video posted online in 2011, the teenager stands at a microphone and encourages teens to stay focused on their goals in life.
- Somalia: Car bomb kills 2 at restaurant in the capital Updated: Apr-09-16 11:57 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A car bomb killed at least two people at a restaurant in the Somali capital Saturday, a police official said.
- Kenya marks university attack anniversary that killed 148 Updated: Apr-02-16 3:43 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyans on Saturday marked the first anniversary of the Garissa University attack, when four extremist gunmen massacred 148 people, with renewed criticism of the government's handling of the crisis.
- Officials: al-Shabab leader killed in Somalia drone strike Updated: Apr-02-16 12:33 am
WASHINGTON - A U.S. drone strike in Somalia has targeted a key leader of the al-Shabab militant group who was involved in two attacks in Mogadishu more than a year ago that killed more than 30 people, at least three Americans among them, the Pentagon said Friday. Several U.S. officials said he and two others were killed.