- Practicing in a car park: WCup qualifying for Somalia's team Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - While revelations swirl of FIFA executives in expensive suits taking millions in bribes to award money-spinning World Cups, some of the poorest teams face near-impossible challenges to make it to soccer's biggest tournament, and try their hearts out anyway.
- Official: Extremists kill 2 in drive-by shooting in Somalia Updated: Oct-07-15 10:04 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Islamic extremist rebels killed two men including the president's nephew in a drive-by shooting in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, a Somali official said Wednesday
- Somalia's extremists vow violence against British troops Updated: Oct-06-15 2:46 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - A spokesman for Somalia's Islamic extremists says their rebels will fight the British troops that are to be deployed to the country as peacekeepers.
- Somalia wants to liberate territory held by al-Shabab soon Updated: Oct-02-15 6:35 pm
- Britain to send troops for Somalia, South Sudan peacekeeping Updated: Sep-28-15 10:07 am
LONDON - Britain's prime minister says more than 300 British troops will be deployed to South Sudan and Somalia as part of peacekeeping efforts to counter Islamic militants.
- Somali parliament ends impeachment motion against president Updated: Sep-26-15 10:18 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Somalia's parliamentary speaker said he will drop an impeachment motion against the president and will instead press for talks to end the country's political crisis.
- Suicide car bomber targets Somalia's presidential palace Updated: Sep-22-15 5:06 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - An Islamic extremist suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at the gate of the Somalia's presidential palace in the capital on Monday, killing at least four people, a police official said.
- Kenya holds 3 women for allegedly trying to join extremists Updated: Sep-16-15 1:19 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - A court in the Kenyan coastal city of Mombasa has authorized police to detain three women for 30 days as detectives investigate allegations they tried to join the Somali Islamic extremist group al-Shabab.
- Ugandan leader says Somali rebels may be holding his troops Updated: Sep-12-15 12:20 am
TOKYO - The leader of Uganda conceded Saturday that Islamic extremists in Somalia may have taken some of his country's troops as prisoners, and blamed his own commanders for being "asleep" in allowing a recent attack on an African Union base.
- Kenya launches operation against extremists on Somali border Updated: Sep-11-15 10:32 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Kenya on Friday announced a new security operation aimed at ousting Islamic extremists from a forest along the border with Somalia.
- Leaders outline program to fight terrorism in Minnesota Updated: Sep-09-15 9:50 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A federal pilot program designed to combat terror recruiting among Somali youth in Minnesota was touted Wednesday as a new beginning for the immigrant community, and will include a mentorship program, youth leadership opportunities and other initiatives.
- US opens diplomatic mission for Somalia in neighboring Kenya Updated: Sep-08-15 8:03 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. has opened a mission for Somalia as part of its effort to normalize relations with the Eastern Africa nation, which continues to battle Islamic extremist rebels.
- Review: 'City of Thorns' brings a refugee crisis to life Updated: Sep-08-15 10:55 am
"City of Thorns: Nine Lives in the World's Largest Refuge Camp" (Picador), by Ben Rawlence