- Syrian opposition figure slams Russia for continued bombing Updated: Feb-14-16 7:23 am
MUNICH - A top Syrian opposition figure criticized Russia on Sunday for continuing with its bombing in Syria, insisting that people in the country need to see action rather than words.
- Somalia: Al-Shabab claims responsibility for plane bomb Updated: Feb-13-16 10:52 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somalia's Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabab, said Saturday they carried out the bombing of a commercial passenger jet earlier this month that blew a hole in the fuselage, sucking out the suspected bomber and forcing the plane to make an emergency landing.
- Reborn Maine mill town offers lessons amid refugee crisis Updated: Feb-08-16 4:55 pm
LEWISTON, Maine - The arrival of thousands of Somali refugees in this former mill city in the nation's whitest state sparked a backlash at first, complete with a rally of white supremacists and a pig's head rolled into the local mosque.
- Somalia spokesman: Video shows laptop handed to bomb suspect Updated: Feb-07-16 6:31 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Security video footage taken at Mogadishu airport shows two men handing what looks like a laptop computer to the suspected suicide bomber after he passed through the security checkpoint, Somalia's government spokesman said Sunday.
- AU and Somali troops retake Somali town from militants Updated: Feb-06-16 3:15 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A Somali military official says allied African Union and Somali troops have retaken the town Marka one day after Islamic extremist fighters took control of the center following the withdrawal of African Union forces.
- Cellphone video shows Somalia flight after explosion Updated: Feb-03-16 9:33 am
JOHANNESBURG - The cellphone video pans from passengers, some wearing oxygen masks, in seats toward the back of the airliner in flight, and then swivels to the empty front area with a hole in the side of the cabin, the result of an explosion soon after takeoff from Somalia's capital.
- Capt. Phillips to speak at Vermont university commencement Updated: Feb-01-16 11:22 am
CASTLETON, Vermont - Capt. Richard Phillips will deliver the commencement speech at a Vermont university.
- UN: Somali Cabinet has agreed on model for elections in 2016 Updated: Jan-28-16 11:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Somalia said the Cabinet agreed Thursday on a model for elections later this year, calling the long-awaited decision "an important milestone" for the impoverished Horn of Africa nation grappling with Islamic extremist insurgents.
- Kenya honors troops slain in Somalia with memorial service Updated: Jan-27-16 1:00 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday led an interfaith memorial service honoring Kenyan soldiers killed while on peacekeeping duty in Somalia.
- Kenyan troops pull out of Somali towns after deadly attack Updated: Jan-26-16 12:54 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Kenyan forces pulled out of two towns in southern Somalia on Tuesday and Islamic extremists quickly moved into one of them, residents said.
- AP EXPLAINS: Islamic extremists step up attacks in Africa Updated: Jan-22-16 12:32 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - The number of deadly attacks by Islamic extremists is mounting across Africa, raising questions about the resurgence of armed groups once seen to be in decline. Here is a brief description of the attacks and an explanation of who was behind them and what is driving the surge.
- Somalia attack turns symbol of resurgence into one of grief Updated: Jan-22-16 9:52 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Among the survivors of al-Shabab's attack on a beachside restaurant in Somalia's capital was Mohamed Abdiqani Kheyre. He is only 3 years old, and his mother was killed.