- Joyful Burundi refugees leave disease-stricken camp Updated: May-23-15 2:23 pm
LAKE TANGANYIKA, Tanzania - Hundreds of women, many with children strapped on their backs alongside their few belongings, sing melodious tunes expressing their joy as their small boats approach the ferry M.V. Liemba.
- Thousands attend Italian nun's beatification in Kenya Updated: May-23-15 1:49 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Tens of thousands of people gathered in a central Kenyan town Saturday to attend the beatification ceremony of an Italian nun who worked for many years in this East African nation.
- Cholera infects 3,000 Burundian refugees, UN calls for help Updated: May-22-15 1:27 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - An outbreak of cholera has infected 3,000 people in a Tanzanian border region where refugees fleeing political unrest in Burundi have massed, the U.N. Refugee Agency said Friday.
- Ugandan Islamic extremist fights extradition from Tanzania Updated: May-22-15 12:22 pm
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania - An Islamic extremist leader appeared in a Tanzania court on Friday to challenge his extradition home to Uganda, where he is wanted for allegedly ordering deadly attacks on civilians in the 1990s.
- Interpol: Islamic extremist rebel to be extradited to Uganda Updated: May-19-15 9:06 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - An Islamic extremist rebel leader recently arrested in Tanzania is set to be extradited to Uganda after Tanzanian authorities agreed to cooperate, the head of Interpol in Uganda said Tuesday.
- US gives $45 million to help Kenya with refugee crisis Updated: May-04-15 12:56 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The United States said Monday it will give $45 million to help Kenya deal with an increasingly complex refugee crisis in a region long defined by Somalia's endemic violence, but where war in nearby Yemen is now creating conditions so dire that some people are even fleeing to Somalia.
- Officials: Tanzania arrests Ugandan Islamic extremist Updated: Apr-30-15 9:50 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Ugandan officials say the fugitive leader of a Ugandan rebel group operating in eastern Congo has been arrested in Tanzania, ending years of a manhunt.
- Bill Clinton's plane makes unscheduled landing in Tanzania Updated: Apr-29-15 4:55 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - A spokesman for Bill Clinton says a chartered plane carrying the former U.S. president had to land unexpectedly after one of its engines developed a problem during a flight over Tanzania.
- Bill Clinton begins Africa tour in Tanzania Updated: Apr-29-15 10:44 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton on Wednesday started his tour of Africa with in Tanzania, where he will visit projects funded by his foundation to boost agriculture, health, education and wildlife conservation.