- Man gets 7½ years in Uganda-based counterfeiting scheme Updated: May-28-15 4:08 pm
PITTSBURGH - A judge on Thursday sentenced a Pittsburgh man to 7½ years in federal prison for his role in a counterfeit money scheme based in Uganda and several other scams.
- Elephant numbers plunge in Mozambique because of poachers Updated: May-28-15 9:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - Poachers slaughtering elephants in Mozambique cut their population almost in half from 2009 to last year, but in Uganda, elephant numbers are increasing as a result of anti-poaching measures, according to aerial surveys.
- Police: 5 wounded in militant attack on Kenyan police Updated: May-26-15 6:35 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Al-Shabab gunmen attacked Kenyan police vehicles near Somalia's border, injuring at least five officers and burning five cars, police said on Tuesday.
- Thousands attend Italian nun's beatification in Kenya Updated: May-23-15 1:49 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Tens of thousands of people gathered in a central Kenyan town Saturday to attend the beatification ceremony of an Italian nun who worked for many years in this East African nation.
- Cholera infects 3,000 Burundian refugees, UN calls for help Updated: May-22-15 1:27 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - An outbreak of cholera has infected 3,000 people in a Tanzanian border region where refugees fleeing political unrest in Burundi have massed, the U.N. Refugee Agency said Friday.
- Ugandan Islamic extremist fights extradition from Tanzania Updated: May-22-15 12:22 pm
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania - An Islamic extremist leader appeared in a Tanzania court on Friday to challenge his extradition home to Uganda, where he is wanted for allegedly ordering deadly attacks on civilians in the 1990s.
- Kenya says attack by Somali militants thwarted in Garissa Updated: May-22-15 9:34 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Kenyan forces fought suspected al-Shabab members in a village close to the northeastern town where a massacre of college students took place last month, according to the interior ministry.
- South Sudan alleges Khartoum role in new rebel offensive Updated: May-22-15 8:49 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - South Sudan's military on Friday accused the Sudanese government of aiding a new rebel offensive in the southern country where oil fields are now threatened by fresh fighting.
- Interpol: Islamic extremist rebel to be extradited to Uganda Updated: May-19-15 9:06 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - An Islamic extremist rebel leader recently arrested in Tanzania is set to be extradited to Uganda after Tanzanian authorities agreed to cooperate, the head of Interpol in Uganda said Tuesday.
- AP Interview: Uganda's president says he's the one bullied Updated: May-06-15 7:05 am
UNITED NATIONS - There is so much freedom in Uganda that it's nearly anarchy, the country's president joked, stepping carefully around what's an open secret back home: Yoweri Museveni will run for yet another term next year, and surely he will win.
- Officials: Tanzania arrests Ugandan Islamic extremist Updated: Apr-30-15 9:50 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Ugandan officials say the fugitive leader of a Ugandan rebel group operating in eastern Congo has been arrested in Tanzania, ending years of a manhunt.