- The US economy's second quarter went from solid to stellar Updated: Aug-27-15 6:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy staged a far bigger rebound last quarter than first thought, outpacing the rest of the developed world and bolstering confidence that it will remain sturdy in coming months despite global headwinds.
- Johnson reaches Winston-Salem semis when Lu withdraws Updated: Aug-27-15 5:54 pm
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina - Steve Johnson reached the Winston-Salem Open semifinals when Taiwan's Yen-Hsun Lu withdrew because of a back injury.
- Freeport-McMoRan cuts more spending; Icahn discloses stake Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
PHOENIX - Activist investor Carl Icahn said late Thursday that he has taken an 8.5-percent stake in Freeport-McMoRan, just hours after the mining company announced cost cuts and lower spending in response to declining copper prices and soft economic conditions worldwide.
- Taking down Bolt is not easy, but a cameraman gives it a try Updated: Aug-27-15 5:06 pm
BEIJING - Only when the running stopped and the picture-taking began did Usain Bolt finally meet his match.
- A Q&A with Wall Street's top psychiatrist on market turmoil Updated: Aug-27-15 4:12 pm
NEW YORK - When it seems like the stock market has lost its mind, big banks and investment firms often turn to one particular psychiatrist: Richard Peterson, CEO of MarketPsych, a firm that applies research from behavioral science to financial markets.
- Ashton Eaton begins defense of decathlon title at worlds Updated: Aug-27-15 3:15 pm
BEIJING - Ashton Eaton is in good shape, maybe even his best shape in quite a while. Mentally, he's as strong as ever, too.
- Wlodarczyk's record win gives Poland hammer throw sweep Updated: Aug-27-15 12:42 pm
BEIJING - The more Anita Wlodarczyk has accomplished in her hammer throwing career, the more she has learned to keep her celebrations relatively restrained.
- Sudan says al-Bashir to visit China; invited to WWII parade Updated: Aug-27-15 11:19 am
UNITED NATIONS - Sudan says President Omar al-Bashir will soon travel to China.
- Snyder: Talking to China important despite GOP critics Updated: Aug-27-15 10:48 am
DETROIT - Republican Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said Thursday it's important to talk trade with Chinese officials despite some GOP presidential hopefuls blaming China for the recent tumble of U.S. stocks.
- Thai court issues warrant for suspect in second bomb blast Updated: Aug-27-15 10:47 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for an unnamed suspect in a riverside blast that occurred a day after the bombing of a shrine in central Bangkok which killed 20 people.
- Russia to launch Moscow-Beijing rally to rival Dakar Updated: Aug-27-15 10:42 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom has thrown its weight behind a rival to the renowned Dakar Rally as Russia flexes its muscles in the world of motorsport.
- US stocks open higher after Chinese market surges Updated: Aug-27-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are opening higher after China's main stock index logged its biggest gain in eight weeks. A report also showed that the U.S. economy expanded at a much faster pace than previously estimated.
- The Latest: Defending champion Sum reaches 800 final Updated: Aug-27-15 8:52 am
BEIJING - The Latest from the world championships (all times local):
- Sinkhole in China swallows 5 people Updated: Aug-27-15 8:37 am
BEIJING - A sinkhole in a northeastern Chinese city swallowed five people in a dramatic scene that was captured on security video and shared widely on Chinese social media.
- China detains 11 over deadly warehouse explosion Updated: Aug-27-15 6:56 am
BEIJING - Chinese prosecutors have detained 11 government officials and company executives over a massive warehouse explosion that killed at least 145 people in the country's worst industrial disaster in recent years.
- China jails 45 on terror-related charges in Xinjiang region Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Chinese courts in the restive, western region of Xinjiang have jailed 45 people on terrorism-related charges, including 18 convicted of organizing illegal border crossings, state-run media reported Thursday.
- Christian lawyer taken away in China region removing crosses Updated: Aug-27-15 4:46 am
BEIJING - A well-known Chinese Christian lawyer had been out of contact for almost two days after being taken away by government workers in an eastern province where local authorities are under a deadline to remove the Christian symbol, the cross, from church roofs, his colleague said Thursday.
- China's Dalian Wanda buys Ironman triathlon brand for $650M Updated: Aug-26-15 11:52 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese property and cinema giant Dalian Wanda Group said Thursday that it is buying the company that owns the Ironman triathlon brand and race series as it forecasts explosive demand in China for the sport.
- Kenya's historic win in javelin overshadowed by doping tests Updated: Aug-26-15 1:30 pm
BEIJING - Kenya made history at the world championships on Wednesday when javelin thrower Julius Yego won the first gold medal in a field event for a country renowned as a cradle of distance running.
- Silva casts off self-doubts to win pole vault gold at worlds Updated: Aug-26-15 1:08 pm
BEIJING - With a strange choice for background music blaring around the Bird's Nest, Yarisley Silva attempted to clear 5.01 meters in the pole vault shortly after winning her first gold medal at the world championships.
- For Pacific athletes, getting to worlds is what matters most Updated: Aug-26-15 11:56 am
BEIJING - Sprinter Beouch Ngirchongor wakes up every morning at 5 a.m. to train for an hour before going to his job as a carpenter in the Northern Mariana Islands.
- 2 Kenyan runners test positive for doping at worlds Updated: Aug-26-15 9:24 am
BEIJING - Two Kenyan runners have tested positive for doping at the world championships and have been provisionally suspended.
- China's Xi staying the course despite sliding economy Updated: Aug-26-15 9:22 am
BEIJING - What does China's leadership lose politically as a result of the country's precipitous stock market decline? A bit of international swagger, but probably not much else - for now.
- Philippines seeks US help to protect troops in disputed sea Updated: Aug-26-15 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine defense chief said he asked the visiting U.S. Pacific commander on Wednesday to help protect the transport of Filipino troops and supplies to Philippine-occupied reefs in the disputed South China Sea by deploying American patrol planes to discourage Chinese moves to block the resupply missions.
- China probing brokers, regulators for possible stock crimes Updated: Aug-26-15 8:04 am
BEIJING - Employees of one of China's biggest securities firms and one current and one former employee of its market regulator are under investigation on suspicion of illegal stock trading, state media reported Wednesday, amid the collapse of a stock price boom.