- South Africa tops Pool B, Habana ties Lomu's World Cup mark Updated: Oct-07-15 4:12 pm
LONDON - Bryan Habana equaled Jonah Lomu's record of 15 Rugby World Cup tries when he crossed for a hat trick that helped South Africa to a 64-0 win over the United States on Wednesday and secured top spot in Pool B.
- Abe reshuffles Cabinet, adding minister to focus on economy Updated: Oct-07-15 10:30 am
TOKYO - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe reshuffled his Cabinet on Wednesday to focus on reviving the world's No. 3 economy, adding a new minister to coordinate recently announced economic projects.
- Vietnam seems big winner in US-anchored Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 7:56 am
HONG KONG - An ambitious Pacific Rim trade deal anchored by the U.S. promises to boost the economies of its 12 participating countries by opening their markets to one another, but not all the gains will be spread evenly.
- US experts warn plutonium stocks could soar in East Asia Updated: Oct-07-15 4:35 am
WASHINGTON - Experts warn that Northeast Asia could see a dangerous growth in stocks of weapons-usable plutonium - and U.S. lawmakers say Obama administration policies could be making matters worse.
- US, Japan museums united on Missouri, Yamato battleships Updated: Oct-06-15 10:33 pm
HONOLULU - U.S. and Japanese museums are forming a partnership to preserve and promote the history of the battleship USS Missouri and the Japanese battleship Yamato.
- Hawaii Gov. David Ige travels to Japan and China Updated: Oct-06-15 9:34 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige is traveling to Japan and China to promote educational partnerships, energy cooperation and investment in Hawaii.
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification Updated: Oct-06-15 6:51 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - On a night of big games in Asia, Japan will be under the most pressure as a defeat to Syria in their 2018 World Cup qualifier on Thursday would cast doubt on its chances of making it to Russia.
- Nobel Prize for key discoveries about subatomic particles Updated: Oct-06-15 4:16 pm
STOCKHOLM - Two scientists won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for key discoveries about a cosmic particle that whizzes through space at nearly the speed of light, passing easily through Earth and even your body.
- Captaincy no curse so far for South Africa halfback Du Preez Updated: Oct-06-15 2:21 pm
LONDON - Fourie du Preez would enjoy the cut and thrust of leading South Africa even more at the Rugby World Cup if he could leave the captaincy duties on the pitch.
- Toyota shows self-driving technology being readied for 2020 Updated: Oct-06-15 7:21 am
TOKYO - Toyota unveiled its vision for self-driving cars in a challenge to other automakers as well as industry newcomer Google Inc., promising to start selling such vehicles in Japan by 2020.
- Wawrinka beats Stepanek, will next face Ito at Japan Open Updated: Oct-06-15 6:29 am
TOKYO - French Open champion Stan Wawrinka made it through this time.
- Gov. Hickenlooper heading to Asia, Middle East Updated: Oct-06-15 5:02 am
DENVER - Gov. John Hickenlooper is heading on a two-week trip to Asia and the Middle East to boost economic opportunities for Colorado.
- Yomiuri Giants pitcher Fukuda suspended for bets on baseball Updated: Oct-06-15 4:43 am
TOKYO - A pitcher for the Yomiuri Giants, Japan's most popular baseball team, has been suspended for betting on games, including those involving his own team.
- $300M Mississippi plant part of Yokohama expansion plan Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 pm
WEST POINT, Mississippi - For Yokohama Rubber Co., its $300 million Mississippi plant is its platform to fight for a slice of the competitive North American tire market.
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for tropical disease drugs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:47 pm
STOCKHOLM - The Nobel prize in medicine went Monday to three scientists hailed as "heroes in the truest sense of the word" for saving millions of lives with the creation of the world's leading malaria-fighting drug and another that has nearly wiped out two devastating tropical diseases.
- Britain leads International Emmy nominations with 7 nods Updated: Oct-05-15 12:53 pm
NEW YORK - Britain garnered a leading seven International Emmy nominations Monday, led by Sheridan Smith who received a best actress nod for her role in "Cilla."
- Nishikori rallies to foil Coric in Japan Open Updated: Oct-05-15 10:54 am
TOKYO - Defending champion Kei Nishikori, of Japan, was given a real scare by teen ace Borna Coric, of Croatia, on Monday, before sealing a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 comeback win in the first round of the Rakuten Japan Open.
- Police in Bangladesh question 4 in killing of Japanese man Updated: Oct-05-15 7:55 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police said they were questioning four people Monday in connection with the second killing of a foreigner in Bangladesh last week - a Japanese agricultural worker described by his neighbors as a friendly farmer who occasionally joined gatherings at their village mosque.
- Japan beats Samoa 26-5 to keep RWC quarterfinal hopes alive Updated: Oct-03-15 3:57 pm
MILTON KEYNES, England - Japan kept alive its chances of reaching the Rugby World Cup quarterfinals with a comprehensive 26-5 win against Samoa in their Pool B match on Saturday.
- Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup Updated: Oct-02-15 3:49 pm
INCHEON, South Korea - Facts and figures for the 11th Presidents Cup matches:
- Japan launches sports agency to boost athletic performance Updated: Oct-01-15 1:49 am
TOKYO - Japan has launched a new sports agency tasked with improving athletic performance ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Nuclear-powered carrier USS Ronald Reagan arrives in Japan Updated: Oct-01-15 12:59 am
YOKOSUKA, Japan - The American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan docked at its new home in Japan's Yokosuka naval port Thursday just as Tokyo tries to deepen defense ties with the U.S. under new security laws that expand the role of Japan's military.
- Bank of Japan tankan survey: Corporate sentiment worsening Updated: Sep-30-15 11:30 pm
TOKYO - Sentiment among big Japanese manufacturers slipped in the most recent quarter, the central bank said Thursday, underlining the shaky footing for growth in the world's third largest economy.
- Guangzhou beats Gamba 2-1 in 1st leg of ACL semifinals Updated: Sep-30-15 11:33 am
GUANGZHOU, China - Zheng Zhi scored the winning goal as Guangzhou Evergrande beat Gamba Osaka 2-1 in the first leg of the Asian Champions League semifinals on Wednesday.
- China holding 2 Japanese citizens on spying allegations Updated: Sep-30-15 10:18 am
TOKYO - China has arrested two Japanese citizens on spying allegations, officials said Wednesday.