- Hanyu 1st in short program at GP Final, Chan 2nd Updated: Dec-05-13 6:35 am
- Yoko Ono recounts own hunger during war in Japan Updated: Dec-05-13 1:47 am
- Asian stocks down over fears of Fed stimulus cut Updated: Dec-04-13 11:49 pm
- Japanese cuisine added to world heritage list Updated: Dec-04-13 10:58 pm
- China gives no ground to Biden in air zone dispute Updated: Dec-04-13 10:25 pm
- Diligent Asian students dominate global exam Updated: Dec-04-13 12:05 pm
- In Japan, General Motors has high hopes, low sales Updated: Dec-04-13 7:11 am
- China says resolved to enforce air defense zone Updated: Dec-03-13 10:49 pm
- Editorial: Biden's Far East trip assumes new importance Updated: Dec-03-13 5:18 pm
- Japan proposes more steps to store Fukushima water Updated: Dec-03-13 10:17 am
- Survivors of atomic bombs to speak in Tulsa Updated: Dec-03-13 5:13 am
- Japan food seeks heritage gong as young spurn rice Updated: Dec-03-13 3:49 am
- Envoy says China has right to set another air zone Updated: Dec-02-13 10:43 pm
- VP Biden opens weeklong Asia trip with Tokyo stop Updated: Dec-02-13 7:58 pm
- Biden visits Asia amid Japan-SKorea's toxic ties Updated: Dec-02-13 10:43 am
- Lady Gaga unveils dolls in her flamboyant likeness Updated: Dec-02-13 4:35 am
- Japan minister handling trade talks in hospital Updated: Dec-02-13 12:56 am
- Biden to visit DMZ while in South Korea Updated: Dec-01-13 4:53 pm
- Rookie Matsuyama wins Japan Tour money title Updated: Dec-01-13 9:42 am
- Yokohama misses chance to win 2013 J-League title Updated: Nov-30-13 3:53 am
- US advises carriers to comply with China air zone Updated: Nov-29-13 11:02 pm
- Cyr: China's power grab prompts U.S. bomber flight Updated: Nov-29-13 10:46 am
- Taiwan lawmakers denounce China air defense zone Updated: Nov-29-13 8:04 am
- China sends warplanes into air defense zone Updated: Nov-28-13 11:49 pm
- Japan prices, industrial output rise in October Updated: Nov-28-13 10:22 pm
FUKUOKA, Japan - Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan beat three-time world champion Patrick Chan of Canada with a record score to lead the short program at the Grand Prix Final.
TOKYO - Yoko Ono says her own bitter experience in Japan during World War II inspired her to support WhyHunger's "Imagine There's No Hunger" campaign to fight childhood hunger around the world.
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Asian stocks were in the red Thursday after strong U.S. economic data renewed fears that the Federal Reserve may start cutting its monetary stimulus this month.
TOKYO - The United Nations cultural organization has added traditional Japanese food to its cultural heritage list, making it only the second national cuisine to receive the prized designation.
BEIJING - Giving no ground, Chinese President Xi Jinping and U.S. Vice President Joe Biden traded strong arguments Wednesday over China's contentious new air defense zone, with little indication of progress toward defusing a situation that is raising anxieties across Asia and beyond.
BEIJING - As a ninth-grader, Shanghai's Li Sixin spent more than three hours on homework a night and took tutorials in math, physics and chemistry on the weekends. When she was tapped to take an exam last year given to half a million students around the world, Li breezed through it.
TOKYO - General Motors says it's in Japan for the long haul despite sales of Cadillac and Chevrolet models barely surpassing 1,000 vehicles a year.
BEIJING - China says it is fully capable of enforcing its newly declared maritime air defense zone that has drawn strong denunciations from the U.S., Japan and other nations.
Vice President Joe Biden is not noted for his diplomatic skills. He is, however, noted for being plain-spoken, even disconcertingly blunt. He may need the latter trait more than the former during his current week-long tour of East Asia.
TOKYO - A government panel proposed additional measures to lessen the radioactive water crisis at Japan's crippled nuclear power plant, saying Tuesday that current plans are not enough to prevent the risk of a disaster.
TULSA, Oklahoma - Two women who survived atomic bomb attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 will discuss their experiences at an event in Tulsa this week.
TOKYO - Washoku, the traditional cuisine of Japan, is being considered for designation as part of the world's priceless cultural heritage by the U.N. this week. But even as sushi and sake booms worldwide, purists say its finer points are candidates for the endangered list at home. The younger generation is increasingly eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts and McDonald's, not rice.
MANILA, Philippines - China has a sovereign right to establish a maritime air defense zone over another region as it did in the East China Sea, the Chinese envoy to the Philippines said.
TOKYO - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has opened a weeklong trip to Asia aimed at showing the U.S. is still committed to increasing its engagement and influence in the region.
SEOUL, South Korea - When South Korean fans at a soccer game against Japan unfurled two massive banners honoring men considered national heroes for battling Japanese invaders, organizers took them down, Tokyo grumbled - and South Koreans cheered yet another sign of defiance against their former colonizer.
TOKYO - One-of-a-kind Lady Gaga has been replicated.
TOKYO - The Japanese economy minister involved in talks with the U.S. and other countries on a Pacific Rim trade pact has been hospitalized for tests, just as the negotiations approach a year-end deadline.
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is preparing to visit the Demilitarized Zone, the heavily armed border between South Korea and North Korea.
KOCHI, Japan - Hideki Matsuyama has become the first rookie to claim the Japanese tour's money title with a win at the Casio World Open.
YOKOHAMA, Japan - Albirex Niigata won 2-0 at Yokohama on Saturday, preventing the Marinos clinching their first J-League championship since 2004 and ensuring the fight for the title will come down to the last day of the season.
BEIJING - The United States advised U.S. carriers to comply with China's demand that it be told of any flights passing through its new maritime air defense zone over the East China Sea, an area where Beijing said it launched two fighter planes to investigate a dozen American and Japanese reconnaissance and military flights.
China has made an ominous move in claiming sovereignty over the air, and the Obama administration has appropriately responded with B-52 bombers.
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's legislature attacked China's newly declared air defense zone on Friday, with lawmakers demanding in an unusual joint statement that President Ma Ying-jeou's government lodge a "stern protest" with Beijing.
BEIJING - China said it sent warplanes into its newly declared maritime air defense zone days after the U.S., South Korea and Japan all sent flights through the airspace in broadening defiance of rules Beijing says it has imposed over the East China Sea.
TOKYO - Japan's economy is gaining momentum, data for October showed, with consumer prices excluding food and energy rising 0.3 percent from a year earlier, the biggest gain since 1998. However, household spending remained tepid, as incomes slipped from the same month a year before.