- Margarita Gasparyan wins Baku Cup for 1st WTA title Updated: Aug-02-15 2:51 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Margarita Gasparyan of Russia won her first WTA title Sunday by beating Patricia Maria Tig of Romania 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 in the Baku Cup final.
- IOC shakes up bid process for 2024 Summer Olympics Updated: Aug-02-15 10:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC shook up the bidding process for the 2024 Olympics on Sunday, eliminating the cut-down phase and clearing the way for all the candidates to make it to the final vote.
- USOC: 3 cities being contacted to replace Boston in 2024 bid Updated: Aug-01-15 8:35 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Olympic leaders have started contacting Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington about the possibility of bidding for the 2024 Games and believe the demise of Boston's candidacy will be "ancient history" by the time the host city is selected in 2017.
- Ethics panel clears lawmakers in 2013 Azerbaijan trip Updated: Jul-31-15 6:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Ethics Committee said Friday it found no evidence of wrongdoing by a bipartisan group of lawmakers who went on a 2013 trip to Azerbaijan paid for by that country's government.
- Bach: Boston failed to deliver on 'promises' to USOC Updated: Jul-29-15 9:42 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - IOC President Thomas Bach said Boston was firmly to blame for its aborted bid for the 2024 Olympics and that the city failed to deliver on "promises" made to U.S. Olympic leaders when they selected the Massachusetts capital as the American candidate for the games.
- IOC urges US to come up with another bid city for 2024 Games Updated: Jul-28-15 2:04 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - With Boston no longer in contention, IOC President Thomas Bach urged U.S. Olympic leaders on Tuesday to pick "the most appropriate city" as a substitute candidate for the 2024 Games. Two-time Olympic host Los Angeles could fit the bill perfectly, according to several IOC board members.
- Azeri journalist trial to start in August Updated: Jul-25-15 6:52 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A court in Azerbaijan says the trial of an investigative journalist will begin next month in a case widely criticized by human rights organizations.
- FIA approves provisional 21-race F1 calendar for 2016 Updated: Jul-10-15 7:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Formula One's governing body approved a provisional 21-race calendar for 2016 on Friday that includes an inaugural race in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Georgian team to appeal to UEFA over alleged flag-burning Updated: Jul-10-15 6:54 am
TBILISI, Georgia - Georgian football club Dinamo Tbilisi has said it will ask UEFA to investigate an Azerbaijani team after its fans allegedly burned the Georgian flag and displayed nationalist banners at a Europa League game.