- 2 Belarus opposition figures pull out of presidential vote Updated: Aug-27-15 6:02 am
MINSK, Belarus - Two prominent potential candidates in Belarus' presidential election are pulling out, alleging that a free and fair vote is impossible under longtime authoritarian leader Alexander Lukashenko.
- Belarus' ruble takes a hit, hurt by Russia's economic woes Updated: Aug-25-15 1:32 pm
MINSK, Belarus - The currency of Belarus is taking a sharp hit, falling about 5 percent in one day as its giant neighbor Russia is battered by economic troubles.
- Ukraine vows to increase troops to fend off rebel attacks Updated: Aug-24-15 2:02 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's president vowed to increase troop numbers to fend off attacks by Russia-backed separatist rebels and warned his countrymen that there is still the threat of a "large-scale invasion," in an impassioned speech to mark Independence Day on Monday.
- EU praises release of political prisoners in Belarus Updated: Aug-23-15 8:40 am
MINSK, Belarus - The European Union praised Belarus' release of political prisoners as "important progress" in its efforts to improve relations with the West, while the most prominent of those freed described it as a cynical attempt by the authoritarian government to gain access to badly needed Western credits.
- IAAF: 28 athletes with positive tests from '05, '07 worlds Updated: Aug-11-15 12:59 pm
LONDON - Facing a barrage of criticism over its handling of drug-test results, the IAAF announced Tuesday that 28 athletes had been caught in retests of their doping samples from the 2005 and 2007 world championships.
- Ukraine calls on Russia to negotiate end to war in east Updated: Aug-01-15 1:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister is calling on Russia to come to "real negotiations" about a cease-fire and stabilization in Ukraine's war-torn east which will require fair elections that are internationally monitored.