- Putin uses carrot and stick to dominate neighbors Updated: Mar-06-14 10:31 am
- Analysts: Russia unlikely to pull back in Crimea Updated: Mar-05-14 11:52 am
- US, Europeans try to rally Western front vs Russia Updated: Mar-03-14 11:16 pm
- US warns Russia on Ukraine, nudges Georgia to West Updated: Feb-26-14 1:11 pm
- Georgian skier races for luger who died in 2010 Updated: Feb-19-14 11:05 am
- Georgia: Saakashvili ally sentenced to 5 years Updated: Feb-17-14 7:53 am
- Georgia: Olympic guests must not visit Abkhazia Updated: Feb-12-14 5:53 am
- Along the border near Sochi, a ring of steel rises Updated: Feb-07-14 1:59 am
MOSCOW - As a counterweight to the European Union, Russia's Vladimir Putin is pursuing an ambitious dream rooted in memories of Soviet glory: The Eurasian Union.
WASHINGTON - Russia is unlikely to pull back its military forces in Ukraine's Crimean peninsula, analysts and former Obama administration officials say, forcing the United States and Europe into a more limited strategy of trying to prevent President Vladimir Putin from making advances elsewhere in the former Soviet republic.
WASHINGTON - The U.S and major allies strained on Monday to rally a strong Western front to persuade Russia to step back from a military takeover of Ukraine's strategic Crimea region. But several acknowledged there are few options beyond already-threatened economic and diplomatic penalties, and critics said administration efforts were too little, too late after years of pressing for friendlier relations with Moscow.
WASHINGTON - The United States on Wednesday warned Russia against a military intervention in Ukraine as it renewed demands that Moscow withdraw troops from disputed enclaves in another former Soviet republic, Georgia. The U.S. also urged Georgia to further integrate with Europe and NATO in calls that come amid growing tensions between Russia and the West over the ouster of Ukraine's pro-Moscow president.
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia - On the eve of the Vancouver Olympics, two lifelong friends from the country of Georgia sat down and spent several hours catching up.
TBILISI, Georgia - A top ally of former Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili was convicted Monday of embezzlement and abuse of office and sentenced to five years in prison.
TBILISI, Georgia - Georgia on Wednesday called on foreign visitors to the Winter Olympics to keep out of Abkhazia, a Russia-aligned breakaway territory just south of Sochi along the Black Sea coast.
ON THE ABKHAZIAN BORDER, Russia - The Russians here in the deep south of the country swear by luscious Abkhazian tangerines, and Mukhmunad Ashabokova is a vital part of the transport link that brings the bright orange citrus into Russia.