- Hungary: 2 suspects hoped to 'execute' government members Updated: Nov-27-15 3:14 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungarian officials said Friday that two suspects detained last week after weapons were found in their car sought to "execute" members of the government.
- Hungary to issue bonds in yuan to attract Chinese investors Updated: Nov-25-15 7:46 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary says it will issue government bonds denominated in yuan together with the Bank of China in the hope of attracting more Asian investors.
- Hungary scolded for claiming European support for 2024 bid Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 am
ROME - Europe's Olympic association scolded Hungary on Tuesday for claiming it has secured the backing of 16 European countries for Budapest's bid for the 2024 Games.
- EU launches state aid probe into Hungarian nuclear reactors Updated: Nov-23-15 11:45 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union said Monday it has opened a probe to establish whether Hungary's financing of two new nuclear reactors constitutes illegal state aid.
- Hungary's leading broadcaster banned from parliament Updated: Nov-20-15 1:44 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's parliament has banned leading broadcaster RTL Klub for allegedly reporting from areas in the building closed to the press.
- Hungary to deport Britons convicted of financing terror Updated: Nov-19-15 10:30 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Two British citizens who spent years in prison for funding acts of terror should be deported to Britain, a Hungarian court said Thursday.
- Passport in Paris attacks fuels fears of Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-18-15 5:55 pm
WARSAW, Poland - After the bombs and Kalashnikov fire of the Paris attacks, a mere document - a passport - found near the body of an attacker is generating a new wave of dread throughout Europe and beyond. But whether the document ended up there by chance, or was part of an elaborate plot to sow panic, is not clear.
- Hungary's Orban says Euro 2016 qualifying boosts self-esteem Updated: Nov-17-15 10:53 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's soccer-mad prime minister said Tuesday that qualifying for the 2016 European Championship has boosted his country's self-esteem and ended an "intolerable" era of failures by the national team.
- The Latest: UN rights chief rejects anti-migrant moves Updated: Nov-16-15 9:58 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news as hundreds of thousands make their way across Europe in search of safety and a better life. All times local.
- Anti-migrant mood deepens in Central Europe after Paris Updated: Nov-16-15 2:13 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Even before the Paris attacks, the mood in Central Europe was decidedly anti-migrant, with fences going up on borders, a Syrian beaten on a Polish street last week and the rhetoric sharp across the region. Now the bloodshed unleashed by Islamic extremists is deepening fears of Muslims and threatening to create an atmosphere even less welcoming for those fleeing war in the Middle East.
- Hungary beats Norway 2-1, qualifies for Euro 2016 Updated: Nov-15-15 6:02 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary secured a spot at next year's European Championship by beating Norway 2-1 Sunday, ending a 30-year absence from major tournaments.
- A stunned Europe steps up security following Paris carnage Updated: Nov-15-15 12:27 am
ROME - Soldiers and paramilitary troops toting semi-automatic rifles patrolled outside the Colosseum and inside St. Peter's Square on Saturday, as Italy joined the rest of Europe in beefing up security a day after terrorist attacks killed 127 people in Paris. U.K. officials shut down a terminal of Britain's No. 2 airport for hours after a man was spotted discarding what looked like a firearm.
- Hungary defeats Norway 1-0 in 1st leg of Euro 2016 playoff Updated: Nov-12-15 5:32 pm
OSLO, Norway - Laszlo Kleinheisler scored on his debut to help Hungary to a 1-0 win over Norway in the first leg of their playoff for a spot at next year's European Championship in France.
- Hungary goalkeeper Marton Fulop dies from cancer at 32 Updated: Nov-12-15 8:25 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Marton Fulop, a former goalkeeper with Hungary's national team who also spent several years in the Premier League, has died of cancer. He was 32.
- Hungarian gets 7 years in prison for poisoning 'wine thief' Updated: Nov-11-15 1:17 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - A Hungarian man who wanted to teach thieves a lesson has been sentenced to seven years in prison for poisoning a person by putting anti-freeze in a barrel of sour cherry wine.
- Thousands mourn former Hungarian president Arpad Goncz Updated: Nov-06-15 11:23 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Thousands of mourners have attended the funeral of former Hungarian president Arpad Goncz, who requested to be buried with a simple ceremony bereft of the honors befitting his office.
- Media advocate pleased Hungary scrapped newsroom spies plan Updated: Nov-06-15 9:24 am
WARSAW, Poland - A leading media advocate has welcomed Hungary's decision to abandon a plan to plant spies in newsrooms but said she remains disturbed that Prime Minister Viktor Orban's government would even contemplate the "Orwellian" idea.
- Self-inflicted wounds dog EU moves to manage migrant crisis Updated: Nov-02-15 4:36 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's struggle to staunch the flow of hundreds of thousands of people across its borders represents the continent's biggest refugee emergency in over half a century.