- More violence in Poland after autopsy of fan shot by police Updated: May-05-15 8:38 am
WARSAW, Poland - Nine people have been arrested following the third night of violence in Knurow, in southern Poland, triggered by the death of a football fan hit by a rubber bullet fired by the police.
- Polish doctors perform rare throat-area transplant Updated: May-04-15 1:07 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Polish surgeons said Monday they have successfully performed a rare and extensive transplant of the throat area.
- EU, German heads at funeral of former Polish FM Bartoszewski Updated: May-04-15 11:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, the former Auschwitz prisoner who helped save Jews from the Holocaust and later became Poland's foreign minister, was a joyful person who inspired deep respect, top European officials said in eulogies Monday at his state funeral in Warsaw.
- Pro-Putin bikers lay wreath in Vienna en route to Berlin Updated: May-02-15 6:04 pm
VIENNA - Members of a nationalistic Russian bikers club were greeted by cheering supporters as they laid a wreath Saturday at a monument to the Soviet soldiers who liberated Vienna from the Nazis.
- Wanted by the US, Roman Polanski gets film award in Poland Updated: May-02-15 4:18 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Filmmaker Roman Polanski has received a film award and pressed his palms into plaster for the hall of independent cinema stars in Krakow- the same Polish city where a court is weighing a U.S. request for his extradition.
- May Day demos staged around the world; Turkey square blocked Updated: May-01-15 1:21 pm
HAVANA - Left-wing groups, governments and trade unions were staging rallies around the world Friday to mark International Workers Day.
- Polish biker says a Night Wolves member made it into country Updated: Apr-30-15 12:34 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish biker said Thursday that at least one member of a nationalistic Russian motorcycle club appears to have entered Poland despite a ban, and visited the Auschwitz memorial site with two other Russians - one of whom briefly unfurled a Soviet flag.
- Ex-Auschwitz prisoner, barber to camp commander, dies at 95 Updated: Apr-30-15 11:49 am
WARSAW, Poland - Jozef Paczynski, a Polish political prisoner at Auschwitz who became the personal barber to camp commander Rudolf Hoess, has died. He was 95.
- Poland's justice minister resigns over gun license doubts Updated: Apr-30-15 10:19 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's Justice Minister Cezary Grabarczyk has resigned over doubts concerning the legality of his gun permit.
- CAS denies Legia Warsaw plea for Champs League compensation Updated: Apr-30-15 4:51 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Legia Warsaw has lost its appeal for compensation from UEFA after being eliminated from the Champions League for fielding an ineligible player.
- Polish authorities say Russian reporter a danger to Poland Updated: Apr-29-15 2:25 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Polish authorities accused a Russian journalist working for a pro-Kremlin news agency of posing a threat to Poland's security, saying Wednesday that he should lose his right to reside in Poland and the European Union.
- Polish border guards refuse entry for 10 Russian bikers Updated: Apr-27-15 2:44 pm
TERESPOL, Poland - Polish border guards on Monday blocked 10 nationalistic Russian bikers loyal to President Vladimir Putin from entering Poland as part of a ride to commemorate the Red Army's victory over Nazi Germany 70 years ago.
- Ex-president OK'd CIA site, denies knowing what it was for Updated: Apr-27-15 11:47 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A former Romanian president has acknowledged approving the CIA's request for a site in Romania, but said he would have refused had he known how it would be used.
- Russian bikers begin run despite Polish entry ban Updated: Apr-25-15 11:43 am
MOSCOW - Riders from a Russian nationalist motorcycle group on Saturday began their run commemorating the Red Army's offensive against Nazi Germany, despite Poland's announcement that it would refuse to let them into the country.
- Former Polish foreign minister Bartoszewski dies at 93 Updated: Apr-24-15 7:13 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, a former Auschwitz prisoner and member of Poland's underground World War II resistance who helped save Jews and later served twice as the country's foreign minister, died Friday in Warsaw. He was 93.
- Poland bans 'provocative' Russian bikers loyal to Putin Updated: Apr-24-15 1:58 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Polish authorities said Friday they will not allow a nationalistic Russian motorcycle group loyal to President Vladimir Putin to enter Poland, but insisted the move is not political and was made in part because Polish authorities would not be able to guarantee their security.
- Poland protests Mattel game that refers to 'Nazi Poland' Updated: Apr-24-15 10:02 am
WARSAW, Poland - The Polish government has demanded that toy producer Mattel recall a party game and correct a card that refers to "Nazi Poland," officials said Friday.
- Poland accepts FBI director's regrets with reserve Updated: Apr-23-15 2:02 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's leaders on Thursday guardedly accepted words of regret from FBI director James Comey over remarks that seemed to equate Poland's role in the Holocaust with that of Germany.
- Lloyd fuses ancient and modern on new CD "Wild Man Dance" Updated: Apr-23-15 10:16 am
NEW YORK - The soulful cries of Charles Lloyd's tenor saxophone filled the cavernous hall housing the ancient Egyptian Temple of Dendur in the Metropolitan Museum of Art as he performed the North American premiere of his "Wild Man Dance Suite."
- Russian car rally honors Soviet soldiers fallen in Poland Updated: Apr-22-15 11:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - About 50 members of the Russian "Road of Glory" car rally marking the Soviet victory over the Nazis 70 years ago honored Soviet soldiers on Wednesday who fell in combat in Warsaw in 1945.
- Auschwitz site urges people to pre-book their visits Updated: Apr-22-15 7:10 am
WARSAW, Poland - Authorities at the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum are warning that the number of visitors to the former German death camp is growing so high that they might have to start turning people away.
- Hungary says FBI chief insensitive, superficial on Holocaust Updated: Apr-21-15 7:55 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary has joined Poland in denouncing remarks by FBI director James Comey which seemed to equate Poland's and Hungary's roles in the Holocaust with that of Germany.
- Poland to build missile defense with US Updated: Apr-21-15 3:40 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's President Bronislaw Komorowski said Tuesday that the defense minister will travel to the U.S. in May to negotiate cooperation on a state-of-the-art missile defense system that Poland wants to build.
- Poles wait for FBI chief to apologize over Holocaust remarks Updated: Apr-20-15 8:56 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Obama did it, now the FBI director has done it, and each time it has caused huge offense to a U.S. ally: using language to suggest that Poles were accomplices in the Holocaust.
- AP Interview: End economic migration, EU border chief says Updated: Apr-20-15 1:22 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Recent tragedies involving migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean show that Europe must do more to stop migration by people seeking to escape poverty, the head of the European Union's border agency said Monday.