- Romania OKs visit by Russian official under EU travel ban Updated: Nov-27-15 12:44 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's foreign ministry has defended a visit by a Russian legislator who is on a European Union sanctions list, saying restrictions do not apply for international meetings.
- Appeals court hearing starts in Romania for ex-prison chief Updated: Nov-25-15 11:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - An appeals court hearing has started in Romania for a former communist prison chief, who was sentenced in a lower court to 20 years in prison for crimes against humanity.
- Romania suspends emergency chiefs after nightclub fire Updated: Nov-25-15 8:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's Interior Ministry suspended three top emergency officials Wednesday following information that contradicted their claim they were unaware of the existence of a Bucharest nightclub where 60 people died in a fire.
- Stories of those who died in the Paris attacks Updated: Nov-20-15 9:17 pm
They were artists and students, music lovers, parents and newlyweds. The victims of last week's attacks in Paris had varied backgrounds and interests. Among the 130 killed in the attacks, here are some of their stories:
- After fire, Romania finds thousands of safety violations Updated: Nov-19-15 10:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian firefighting authorities have uncovered thousands of fire safety violations in a range of buildings following a nightclub blaze last month in which at least 57 people died.
- Italy held to 2-2 at home by Romania in friendly Updated: Nov-17-15 6:26 pm
BOLOGNA, Italy - Italy was held to 2-2 at home by Romania in a friendly on Tuesday as it was again let down by defensive lapses.
- Romanian Parliament approves govt of technocrats Updated: Nov-17-15 9:00 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - The Romanian parliament has approved a government of technocrats headed by an ex-European Union agriculture commissioner, after the previous government collapsed amid mass protests in the wake of a nightclub fire in which at least 56 died.
- Romania: 3 handball players die after team bus hit by truck Updated: Nov-16-15 10:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - The Romanian handball federation says three players died and 11 were injured when the bus they were traveling in was hit by a truck.
- Romania premier-elect names Cabinet of technocrats Updated: Nov-15-15 3:45 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's prime minister-designate on Sunday named his Cabinet of mostly young professionals with management experience, after the former government collapsed following mass protests over a nightclub fire where at least 55 died.
- Romania's president stops planned $161M loan to Moldova Updated: Nov-09-15 9:08 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's president has refused to sign off on a 150-million euro ($161-million) loan to Moldova that was approved by Parliament last month.
- Mood for change: Demonstrators demand clean Romania Updated: Nov-08-15 1:48 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A nightclub fire in Bucharest that killed at least 45 people became the tipping point for many Romanians who have long been frustrated with corruption among leaders. But as the government resigned amid street protests this week, many remained skeptical that the leaderless street movement will succeed in doing away with the old order.
- With Roma migrants, poverty returns to Sweden Updated: Nov-06-15 9:08 am
STOCKHOLM - The evacuation of a squalid Roma camp this week has forced Sweden to come to terms with a troubling new reality: For the first time in generations, the egalitarian welfare nation is witnessing people living in abject poverty, without basic amenities such as electricity and running water.
- Romania's outgoing PM appears at court for corruption trial Updated: Nov-06-15 2:34 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's outgoing prime minister has appeared at the high court where he's on trial for tax evasion, money-laundering, conflict of interest and making false statements.
- 5 injured in explosion in bread factory in Romanian city Updated: Nov-05-15 3:52 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Authorities say five people have been injured after an explosion in a bread factory in the central Romanian city of Brasov.
- The Latest: Thousands protest in Romania for 3rd day running Updated: Nov-05-15 3:37 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - The latest on the fallout from a fire at a Bucharest nightclub on Friday that left more than 30 dead. All times local.
- Romanian prosecutors start probe into legality of motorcades Updated: Nov-05-15 9:11 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's anti-corruption office has started a criminal probe into the legality of motorcades used by top officials, following the death of a police motorcyclist who was accompanying the interior minister.
- Romania buries fire hero as thousands protest against govt Updated: Nov-03-15 5:47 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A hero of a Bucharest nightclub fire that killed at least 32 people was buried Tuesday in a memorial service that drew hundreds of weeping mourners, while more than 20,000 others took to the streets of the capital to protest against the government following the tragic event.