- Top-seeded Bernard Tomic knocked out of Istanbul Open Updated: Apr-28-16 2:58 pm
ISTANBUL - Top-seeded Bernard Tomic was knocked out of the Istanbul Open, losing to unseeded Diego Schwartzman of Argentina 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.
- Moldova PM: reforms must start with the government Updated: Apr-28-16 6:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Moldova's prime minister says badly needed reforms in the impoverished country must start with the government.
- Romania: culture minister resigns over opera dispute Updated: Apr-27-16 10:21 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's culture minister has tendered his resignation amid a bitter dispute at the country's main opera house involving internationally renowned ballerina Alina Cojocaru.
- Romania: media owner questioned over massive tax evasion Updated: Apr-27-16 8:33 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Prosecutors in Romania say they have questioned a media owner on suspicion of tax evasion worth 8 million ($9 million).
- Thousands celebrate Orthodox Palm Sunday in Romania Updated: Apr-26-16 7:02 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Holding palm fronds and flowers, thousands of Romanians took part in processions and services as they celebrated Orthodox Palm Sunday.
- US flies F-22s to Romania as show of strength to Russia Updated: Apr-25-16 11:16 am
CONSTANTA, Romania - The U.S. Air Force on Monday flew in two F-22 Raptor fighter jets to Romania as a show of strength to deter Russian intervention in Ukraine.
- Fernando Verdasco wins Nastase Tiriac Trophy Updated: Apr-25-16 9:54 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Fernando Verdasco won his seventh ATP title by beating Lucas Pouille 6-3, 6-2 Monday in the Nastase Tiriac Trophy final.
- Romania party chief gets 2-year suspended sentence for fraud Updated: Apr-22-16 3:10 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court on Friday handed a two-year suspended prison sentence to the chairman of Romania's main political party for voting fraud in a referendum to impeach Romania's former president.
- Moment of Silence: Romania disqualified from Eurovision Updated: Apr-22-16 9:07 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's "Moment of Silence" won't be heard at the Eurovision Song Contest because the national broadcaster owes millions to the European Broadcasting Union.
- Ukraine president: Sanctions against Russia must remain Updated: Apr-21-16 7:14 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Ukraine's president says sanctions against Russia must stay in place as long as hostilities in eastern Ukraine still continue.
- Ex-Romanian president probed over suspected money laundering Updated: Apr-20-16 9:50 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's former president says he is being investigated on suspicion of money laundering related to a real estate deal reached when he was mayor of Bucharest.
- Germany beats Romania in Fed Cup World Group playoff Updated: Apr-17-16 3:29 pm
CLUJ,Romania - Angelique Kerber fought off Simona Halep to clinch a 6-2, 6-2 win while Andrea Petkovic overcame Monica Niculescu to give Germany an insurmountable 3-1 lead on Sunday over Romania in their Fed Cup World Group playoff.
- Romania ordered to pay $776,000 to revolution victims Updated: Apr-12-16 10:22 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Europe's top human rights court on Tuesday ordered Romania to pay compensation to the families of 45 people who died during the country's 1989 anti-communist revolution.
- Romanian runner Lavric fails doping test at world indoors Updated: Apr-12-16 9:32 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian runner Elena Mirela Lavric tested positive for meldonium at last month's world indoor championships, the Romanian Athletics Federation said Tuesday.
- Romania: politician in corruption probe won't run for mayor Updated: Apr-11-16 10:49 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian politician said Monday he would not run for mayor of Bucharest after anti-corruption prosecutors told him he'd been indicted on corruption charges.
- Romania offers tax-free donations for Brancusi sculpture Updated: Apr-11-16 9:05 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's culture minister says people who donate money toward the purchase of a sculpture by Constantin Brancusi, considered one of the country's finest modern art works, will get tax breaks.
- Racist graffiti on Roma tent in Bucharest is criticized Updated: Apr-09-16 12:54 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian minister and the World Bank have criticized racist graffiti that appeared on a tent erected to mark International Roma Day in Bucharest.
- The Latest: El Salvador raids offices in Panama Papers case Updated: Apr-08-16 8:05 pm
LONDON - The Latest on the publication by a coalition of media outlets of an investigation into offshore financial dealings by the rich and famous (all times local):
- Romania probes $34 million fraud at Roman Empire spa Updated: Apr-07-16 10:04 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A businessman and five others suspected of defrauding a spa that dates from the Roman empire of 30 million euros (about $34 million) were detained Thursday, Romanian prosecutors said.
- Romania: 2 arrested over prosecutor intimidation Updated: Apr-06-16 1:50 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Two men who work for an Israeli company have been arrested in Romania on suspicion that they set up a criminal group to harass and intimidate the country's chief anti-corruption prosecutor, authorities said Wednesday.
- Romanian president recalls 14 ambassadors Updated: Apr-05-16 11:44 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's president has recalled 14 ambassadors, including a diplomat who was unable to name key ministers before she was appointed to her post and another who went on vacation during the prime minister's visit.
- Dnipro among 3 clubs banned from Europe by UEFA Updated: Mar-31-16 12:44 pm
NYON, Switzerland - Last year's Europa League finalist Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk of Ukraine has been named among three clubs banned from European competition by UEFA over financial issues.
- Minister: 100,000 homes in Romania have no gas, electricity Updated: Mar-31-16 10:07 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's energy minister says there are more than 100,000 households in the country without electricity or gas or access to public transport.
- Romanian mayor detained on bribe suspicions Updated: Mar-30-16 11:46 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Anti-corruption prosecutors have detained the mayor of one of Romania's largest cities on suspicion of money laundering, influence trafficking and taking bribes.
- Romanian court hands ex-prison chief 20 years for 103 deaths Updated: Mar-30-16 8:39 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court has sentenced a former prison commander to 20 years in prison for the deaths of 103 political prisoners while he was commander of a communist-era labor camp.