- Hungary, Romania draw 0-0 in Euro 2016 qualifier Updated: Sep-04-15 7:03 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary and Romania drew 0-0 Friday in a European Championship qualifier as fans clashed before the game, with police using tear gas and water cannon.
- Romania prime minister wants his corruption case resolved Updated: Sep-03-15 10:52 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's prime minister, indicted on wide-ranging corruption charges, has called for his case to be resolved quickly.
- Slovak foreign minister: migrant crisis may unite far-right Updated: Sep-02-15 1:36 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Slovak's foreign minister said Wednesday that the flood of migrants crossing Europe could unite the far-right in his country, calling it a "scary" prospect.
- Ex-president says he's investigated for making threats Updated: Sep-02-15 5:46 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's former president says prosecutors are investigating threatening remarks he made to a senator while he was president.
- Romania: prosecutor, tax official detained on bribe charges Updated: Sep-01-15 10:07 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian anti-corruption prosecutors have detained a prosecutor and a senior tax official on suspicion they took bribes from a businessman to resolve a court case in his favor.
- Celebrated Romanian baritone Dan Iordachescu dies at 85 Updated: Aug-31-15 9:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Celebrated Romanian baritone Dan Iordachescu, who sang at Milan's La Scala and the Vienna State Opera during a half-century career, has died at 85, the Bucharest Opera said Monday.
- Romanian govt examines video of man kidnapped in Africa Updated: Aug-30-15 7:44 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's Foreign Ministry says it is working to verify the authenticity of a video of a Romanian security worker pleading for help after being kidnapped by those with ties to the Islamic State group.
- Health ministry official detained on suspicion of bribes Updated: Aug-28-15 6:28 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A senior health ministry official has been detained on suspicion of accepting bribes of face cream and money in exchange for giving operating licenses to pharmacies, the latest case of suspected corruption in Romania's underfunded health care system.
- Romania gives Moldova 110 million euros on independence day Updated: Aug-27-15 7:49 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - Romania's prime minister has given Moldova 100 million euros ($117 million) in financial aid in a gesture of support for the former Soviet republic's EU membership bid.
- Italy, Spain, US troopers take part in Romania NATO drill Updated: Aug-26-15 12:52 pm
SMARDAN, Romania - More than 200 paratroopers from Italy, Spain, and the U.S. have participated in a parachute assault at a shooting range in eastern Romania as part of a large exercise to demonstrate NATO's capacity for rapid deployment.
- PM hikes Romanian doctors' wages by 25 percent Updated: Aug-26-15 7:59 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's prime minister has hiked doctors' and nurses' wages, among the lowest in Europe, by 25 percent after medics threatened to strike following a court ruling that they could no longer accept informal payments and gifts.
- Dozens of miners protest at metal mine in northwest Romania Updated: Aug-26-15 6:12 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Officials in Romania say 25 miners are protesting more than 200 meters (650 feet) down in a mine, complaining that authorities will not give them an operating license.
- Poland's govt to compensate farmers hit by drought, heat Updated: Aug-25-15 12:46 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland will pay more than 500 million zlotys ($135 million) in compensation to the thousands of farmers who have lost crops and fodder because of drought and unusually high temperatures, the agriculture minister said Tuesday.
- 160 Marines in Bulgaria with tanks, artillery for training Updated: Aug-25-15 9:10 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - U.S. Marines accompanied by tanks, artillery, and light-armored reconnaissance vehicles have arrived in Bulgaria, part of a plan to train with allies to improve weapons skills and anti-armor tactics.
- 7 Romanian men convicted of gang rape, sentenced to prison Updated: Aug-17-15 8:31 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Seven men were convicted on Monday of gang raping a teenager in northeastern Romania and sentenced to prison in a case that has caused national outrage.
- Officials probe 100s of cases of high school entrance fraud Updated: Aug-13-15 10:14 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Education authorities in Romania are investigating some 400 cases in which students are suspected of getting into high schools without having the necessary grades.
- Romania's a republic, but royal upset makes headline news Updated: Aug-11-15 11:22 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's former King Michael has stripped his only grandson of his royal title, a move that has stunned Romanians.
- Huge search for Romanian glider pilot missing for 5 days Updated: Aug-10-15 5:08 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian authorities have mobilized more than 1,000 rescuers in a massive search operation for a missing pilot and his glider now in its fifth day.
- Drought affects shipping on River Danube, but no disruptions Updated: Aug-07-15 10:16 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian authorities say a severe drought is affecting shipping on the River Danube but ships are still managing to navigate along Europe's second longest waterway.
- Romanian tax authorities probe celebrities, moneylenders Updated: Aug-06-15 9:02 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's tax authorities say they will investigate the country's big earners, including celebrities, moneylenders and pop stars, to verify the sources of their incomes.