- The Latest: Syrian army confirms rescue of Russian pilot Updated: Nov-25-15 5:29 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest on the war in Syria, including Russian warplane shot down by Turkey. All times local:
- Russian pilot rescued by Syrian commando unit Updated: Nov-25-15 5:16 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - A Russian military pilot whose plane was shot down by Turkey and crashed in Syria arrived on Wednesday at an air base in Latakia province after being rescued by a Syrian army commando unit, Syrian and Russian officials said.
- Global stocks keep eye on Mideast, Thanksgiving holiday Updated: Nov-25-15 3:51 am
TOKYO - European shares rose modestly Wednesday while Asian markets mostly fell as investors kept a wary eye on developments in the Middle East after Turkey shot down a Russian warplane. Trading was light ahead of the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday.
- He jumped into Normandy, ran spies in Moscow, retired at 90 Updated: Nov-25-15 3:07 am
WASHINGTON - Hugh Montgomery never wrote a memoir. That just wasn't done among his generation of spies.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Australia calls for restraint after Russian plane shot down Updated: Nov-24-15 7:19 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday called for Russia and Turkey to show restraint over the shooting down of as Russian jet fighter near the Syria-Turkey border, adding Australia is paying close attention to the safety of Australian pilots over Syria.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Dzyuba powers Zenit to 2-0 over Valencia in Champs League Updated: Nov-24-15 5:29 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Zenit St. Petersburg secured top spot in Group H by beating Valencia 2-0 in the Champions League on Tuesday.
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- Islamic militants hit hotel in Egypt's Sinai, killing 7 Updated: Nov-24-15 3:00 pm
CAIRO - A brazen militant attack involving a suicide car bombing and claimed by the Islamic State group targeted a hotel in Egypt's restive northern Sinai region on Tuesday, killing seven people, including two judges, the state MENA news agency said.
- French and Russian authorities to increase fan zone security Updated: Nov-24-15 9:16 am
PARIS - French and Russian authorities plan to increase security at fan zones at next year's European Championship and the 2018 World Cup following the attacks in Paris.
- UCI cuts ties with head of Russian anti-doping agency Updated: Nov-24-15 9:14 am
MOSCOW - Cycling's world governing body, the UCI, has cut ties with Russian anti-doping agency managing director Nikita Kamaev amid Russia's doping scandal.
- 3 Russian journalists injured in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 7:56 am
MOSCOW - The Russian Defense Ministry says three Russian journalists have been injured while traveling to front-line positions in Syria.
- United looking to secure Champions League knockout place Updated: Nov-24-15 7:45 am
LONDON - Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial returned to training for Manchester United on Tuesday, though the team could still be hindered by a lengthy injury list as it bids to secure a place in the last 16 of the Champions League against PSV Eindhoven.
- Russia threatens gas cut off to Ukraine over debts Updated: Nov-24-15 2:51 am
MOSCOW - Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak says Russia will cut off gas supply to Ukraine "today or tomorrow" over unpaid deliveries.
- White House asks allies to step up in IS campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House urged allies on Monday to do more in the campaign against the Islamic State, while President Barack Obama faced pressure in return to show the U.S.-led coalition will intensify efforts in response to the Paris attacks, even without a major shift in strategy.
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Low turnout continues to mar Egypt parliamentary elections Updated: Nov-23-15 2:50 pm
CAIRO - Despite a half-day off the Egyptian government granted its employees on Monday, a low voter turnout continued to plague the country's parliamentary elections on the final day of the second stage in the balloting.
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to defeat Islamic State Updated: Nov-23-15 11:07 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - The United States is seeking new military, counterterrorism and diplomatic ideas to destroy the Islamic State group faster, Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday, acknowledging the difficulty in eliminating extremists who've exploited four years of chaos in the Middle East to become a global threat. He said greater military cooperation with Russia was possible under the right circumstances.
- Church of Scientology's Moscow branch to be dissolved Updated: Nov-23-15 11:03 am
MOSCOW - A Russian court has ordered the Church of Scientology in Moscow to be dissolved.
- A partial list of victims in the Mali hotel attack Updated: Nov-23-15 10:35 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Here is a partial list of the victims of Friday's attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in Mali which killed 19 people confirmed by The Associated Press:
- 15 die in Russia from drinking illegal alcohol Updated: Nov-23-15 10:28 am
MOSCOW - Russian investigators say 15 people have died in the past two weeks from drinking illegally produced alcoholic beverages, including five in a Siberian town who drank fake American whiskey.
- Ukraine announces halt in delivery of goods to Crimea Updated: Nov-23-15 9:48 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine's government has ordered a halt to all delivery of goods to Crimea, the peninsula annexed by Russia last year.
- Lyon and Valbuena in the last-chance saloon Updated: Nov-23-15 8:41 am
PARIS - Mathieu Valbuena did not expect he would go through such a frustrating season when he signed a three-year deal with Lyon this summer following an exile to Russia.
- Syrian troops seize territory from IS in central province Updated: Nov-23-15 8:20 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syrian troops backed by Russian airstrikes captured areas from the Islamic State group in the central province of Homs on Monday, in the latest push since the aerial campaign began nearly two months ago, state media and a monitoring group said.