- Rhode Island police trace 'robocall' bomb threats to Russia Updated: Feb-08-16 4:20 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State police say a string of bomb threats that targeted schools in three Rhode Island communities left an electronic trail leading to Russia.
- Germany, Turkey vow diplomatic effort to end Aleppo violence Updated: Feb-08-16 4:06 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - As tens of thousands of Syrians fleeing violence massed at Turkey's border, Turkish and German leaders pledged Monday to redouble diplomatic efforts to end the fighting around the embattled Syrian city of Aleppo and prevent more refugees making their way into Europe.
- The Latest: Greece: Stop migrants in Turkish waters Updated: Feb-08-16 3:06 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The Latest on the influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- Russian envoy says Moscow will respond to NATO buildup Updated: Feb-08-16 2:36 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's envoy to NATO has warned that Moscow will respond to a buildup of the alliance's forces near Russian borders.
- 4 crew dead in Russian military helicopter crash Updated: Feb-08-16 1:54 pm
MOSCOW - The Russian Defense Ministry says one of its helicopters has crashed in northwestern Russia, killing its entire crew of four.
- Russian troops put on high alert as part of massive drills Updated: Feb-08-16 11:49 am
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin has scrambled thousands of troops and hundreds of warplanes across southwestern Russia for large-scale military drills intended to test the troops' readiness amid continuing tensions with the West.
- Chechen Special Ops in Syria says republic's leader Updated: Feb-08-16 11:06 am
MOSCOW - The strongman leader of Russia's Chechen republic says special operation units from his region have infiltrated the Islamic State group.
- Belarusian leader says Russia will offer bailout Updated: Feb-08-16 11:03 am
MINSK, Belarus - The leader of Belarus says Russia has promised to offer financial assistance to his nation.
- King of Bahrain in Russia for talks with Putin Updated: Feb-08-16 10:37 am
SOCHI, Russia - President Vladimir Putin has hosted the ruler of Bahrain for talks focused on the Syrian crisis and economic cooperation.
- Russia's central bank revokes licenses of 2 banks Updated: Feb-08-16 8:29 am
MOSCOW - Russia's Central Bank effectively closed down two of the country's smaller banks Monday after it revoked their operating licenses, its latest effort to consolidate the sprawling banking sector.
- Chechen leader posts threatening messages online Updated: Feb-08-16 7:19 am
MOSCOW - The leader of Russia's Chechen republic has posted several pictures online that have been viewed as threats to the Russian opposition.
- Russian authorities detain 7 on suspicion of terrorist plot Updated: Feb-08-16 5:47 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state security service says it has detained seven people in the country's Ural mountain region on suspicion of terrorist activities.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Canada's St-Gelais, Hamelin win short track World Cup 500s Updated: Feb-07-16 2:38 pm
DRESDEN, Germany - Canadian speed skaters Marianne St-Gelais and Charles Hamelin won 500 meter races at a short track World Cup meet on Sunday.
- Divisive Polish party leader Kaczynski pulls the strings Updated: Feb-07-16 8:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - When Hungary's prime minister had a secret five-hour meeting in a secluded mountain resort with the most powerful person in Poland, he didn't convene with his counterpart or the Polish president.
- Cross-Country World Cup Results Updated: Feb-06-16 1:14 pm
1. Martin Johnsrud Sundby, Norway, 2 hours, 8 minutes, 41.9 seconds.
- Anti-Islam groups rally across Europe; clashes in Amsterdam Updated: Feb-06-16 1:09 pm
DRESDEN, Germany - Protesters rallied against Islam and immigration in several European cities Saturday, sometimes clashing with police or counter-demonstrators amid growing tensions over the massive influx of asylum-seekers to the continent.
- Bertens gives Netherlands lead over Russia in Fed Cup Updated: Feb-06-16 12:19 pm
MOSCOW - Four-time Fed Cup champion Russia was on the brink of a surprise first-round defeat to the Netherlands after going 2-0 down on the first day Saturday.
- Injury stops comeback of pole vault record-holder Isinbayeva Updated: Feb-06-16 12:02 pm
MOSCOW - Pole vault world record-holder Yelena Isinbayeva has been forced to delay her comeback after injuring her Achilles tendon at her first competition.
- The Latest: Iran holds funeral for troops killed in Syria Updated: Feb-06-16 9:02 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on the fighting in Syria, where government forces are waging a massive offensive around the northern city of Aleppo, once the country's largest. (all times local):
- Sean Doherty carves out name for himself in biathlon Updated: Feb-05-16 10:03 pm
One of the most decorated young athletes in biathlon history isn't from Russia or Norway or even Germany.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- Russia says it will offer new ideas to restart Syria talks Updated: Feb-05-16 4:24 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Facing Western criticism over the halt to Syria peace talks, Russia said Friday it plans to present new ideas on how to restart peace efforts at a meeting of nearly 20 key nations on Feb. 11.
- The Latest: Kerry says Russia, Assad not complying with UN Updated: Feb-05-16 4:22 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria (all times Syria local):
- Historic step: Pope, Russia patriarch meet in Cuba Feb. 12 Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - In an historic step to heal the 1,000-year schism that split Christianity, Pope Francis and the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church will meet in Cuba next week in an attempt to begin bridging the church's East-West divide.