- Zenit, CSKA win in Russian Premier League Updated: Aug-01-15 2:44 pm
MOSCOW - Russian Premier League title rivals Zenit St. Petersburg and CSKA Moscow won to stay on top of the table on Saturday.
- From Russia with love: Ruffini proposes marriage after win Updated: Aug-01-15 1:38 pm
KAZAN, Russia - It started with nausea and vomiting. It ended with a winning strategy. And it was punctuated with a marriage proposal.
- Ukraine calls on Russia to negotiate end to war in east Updated: Aug-01-15 1:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister is calling on Russia to come to "real negotiations" about a cease-fire and stabilization in Ukraine's war-torn east which will require fair elections that are internationally monitored.
- WHO and sailing body seek virus tests in Rio Olympic venues Updated: Aug-01-15 12:43 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The World Health Organization has asked the IOC to analyze virus levels in Rio de Janeiro's Olympic waters, and the governing body of world sailing says it will start doing its own independent virus tests.
- British swimmer Peaty in fight for world record ratification Updated: Aug-01-15 12:20 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Nearly a year later, British swimmer Adam Peaty's world record in the 50-meter breaststroke isn't ratified.
- Putin puts Crimean site under federal control after scandal Updated: Aug-01-15 11:56 am
MOSCOW - Russia's President Vladimir Putin on Saturday placed a major archaeological site in Crimea, which he has hailed as the country's most sacred spiritual symbol, under federal control following turmoil over the appointment of its director.
- Top Russian, US and Saudi diplomats to meet in Qatar Updated: Aug-01-15 7:29 am
MOSCOW - Russia's foreign minister has scheduled a trilateral meeting in Qatar with his U.S. and Saudi counterparts.
- Some Alaska Natives allowed visa-free travel to Russian area Updated: Jul-31-15 6:50 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Some western Alaska Natives can again travel back and forth to Russia's Chukota region without a visa under a decades-old agreement that was recently revived.
- Appeals court affirms conviction of woman in hot sauce case Updated: Jul-31-15 6:23 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - An Alaska appeals court has affirmed the conviction of an Anchorage woman whom prosecutors said used a videotape of herself punishing her son to get on the "Dr. Phil" show.
- Russian Orthodox Church pushes for control over St. Isaac's Updated: Jul-31-15 2:49 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The Russian Orthodox Church on Friday defended its controversial bid to fully take over St. Petersburg's landmark St. Isaac's Cathedral, saying it's in line with the law and wouldn't hamper tourist access.
- Litvinenko widow accuses Putin of ordering husband killing Updated: Jul-31-15 12:31 pm
LONDON - Nine years after former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko drank radioactive tea at a London hotel, an inquiry into his death ended Friday with his widow claiming President Vladimir Putin ordered the killing - and Moscow accusing Britain of politicizing the probe.
- Franklin, Ledecky are workhorses of US swim team at worlds Updated: Jul-31-15 12:09 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky are the workhorses of the U.S. team at the world swimming championships.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Russia's central bank cuts key interest rate Updated: Jul-31-15 10:10 am
MOSCOW - The Russian central bank cut its key interest rate by 0.5 percentage points to 11 percent on Friday, bowing to the pressure of businesses to make lending more accessible.
- Russia's Sochi mooted as host for 2024 Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The man who organized last year's Winter Olympics in Sochi is pushing for the Russian city to host the 2024 Summer Games.
- Mutko set to take control of Russian football union Updated: Jul-31-15 9:41 am
MOSCOW - Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko is expected to take control of the country's football association.
- Ukraine will try again for downed plane tribunal Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister said Thursday that the five countries investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago will try again to get U.N. Security Council approval for an international tribunal to prosecute the alleged perpetrators.
- FSB: US, Georgia helped prevent attacks at Sochi Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 5:58 pm
MOSCOW - The head of Russia's domestic security agency says the United States, Georgia and several Western European countries helped prevent terrorist attacks during last year's Winter Olympics.
- US fine-tunes sanctions on Russia over Ukraine Updated: Jul-30-15 2:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration moved Thursday to update and fine-tune sanctions on Russia, pro-Russian companies and people over the conflict in Ukraine.
- North Korea wins 1st world aquatics gold with diving victory Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
KAZAN, Russia - North Korea won its first gold medal at the world aquatics championships through 16-year-old Kim Kuk Hyang in women's 10-meter diving on Thursday.
- Russia to upgrade air defense missiles intended for Iran Updated: Jul-30-15 1:13 pm
MOSCOW - A Kremlin official says that Russia is working to upgrade air defense missiles intended for Iran.
- Kremlin says Russia and France agree on refund for Mistral Updated: Jul-30-15 12:55 pm
MOSCOW - A Kremlin aide says Russia and France have agreed on a refund amount for an undelivered French warship.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.
- Deep end: Redland water polo phenom swims onto world stage Updated: Jul-30-15 12:14 pm
MIAMI - When Donna Johnson decided to raise her five children in the peaceful, pastoral splendor of the Redland, she chose a five-acre plot dotted with mango, avocado and sapodilla trees.
- OPEC chief expects oil prices to stabilize Updated: Jul-30-15 11:24 am
MOSCOW - OPEC and Russia say they expect the global oil market to become more balanced and stable next year after the recent sharp drops.