- Soldiers in Hungary begin building fence to stop migrants Updated: Aug-03-15 2:50 pm
ASOTTHALOM, Hungary - Hungarian soldiers started building a fence Monday on the border with Serbia, an effort meant to stop the rising flow of migrants trying to enter the European Union.
- Kosovo approves court to try wartime leaders for war crimes Updated: Aug-03-15 2:07 pm
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo's Parliament on Monday approved a constitutional amendment to set up a special court to prosecute former leaders over war crimes, including the killing of hundreds of Serb civilians.
- Hungarian minister: over 100,000 migrants so far in 2015 Updated: Jul-31-15 8:50 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - More than 100,000 migrants have reached Hungary so far this year, nearly all of them entering through its southern border with Serbia, the Hungarian foreign minister said Friday.
- Serbia lottery chief resigns in live ticket draw scandal Updated: Jul-30-15 12:31 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - The head of Serbia's state lottery resigned on Thursday following allegations of fraud during a live ticket draw this week.
- Serbian police: Afghan refugee killed in migrants' fight Updated: Jul-27-15 5:34 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbian police say that an Afghan national has been killed in a fight involving migrants near the border with Hungary.
- The Latest: Conte says facing Spain 'very stimulating' Updated: Jul-25-15 5:51 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The latest on Saturday's 2018 World Cup qualifying draw (times are local):
- World Cup at center of Gazprom's sponsorship empire Updated: Jul-25-15 8:11 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - As FIFA descends on St. Petersburg for the World Cup preliminary draw Saturday, it is entering the capital of a sponsorship empire.
- Serbia, Bosnia leaders pledge to boost fragile post-war ties Updated: Jul-22-15 10:43 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - The leaders of former Balkan foes Serbia and Bosnia on Wednesday pledged to boost fragile post-war ties shaken earlier this month on the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre.
- North Korea gig fits well with iconic Slovenian band's image Updated: Jul-21-15 12:31 pm
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia - For a band inspired by art in totalitarian regimes, a gig in North Korea is a dream come true.
- Hungary doubles migrant estimate, 300,000 expected in 2015 Updated: Jul-21-15 12:26 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Hungarian government says it expects up to 300,000 migrants to reach the country this year, around twice its earlier estimate.
- Newcastle signs Serbia striker Mitrovic from Anderlecht Updated: Jul-21-15 5:27 am
NEWCASTLE, England - Newcastle has signed Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic from Belgian club Anderlecht on a five-year contract.
- Severe heat wave hits the Balkans Updated: Jul-20-15 12:34 pm
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Authorities in the Balkan countries say people have been collapsing on the streets amid a heat wave that have seen temperatures in the region reach 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).
- Davis Cup: Argentina finishes with 4-1 win over Serbia Updated: Jul-19-15 7:45 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Dusan Lajovic beat Diego Schwartzman 6-1, 6-4 to help Serbia avoid a clean sweep to Argentina in the Davis Cup quarterfinals on Sunday.
- Britain faces Australia, Argentina gets Belgium in Davis Cup Updated: Jul-19-15 6:47 pm
LONDON - A tearful Andy Murray celebrated taking Britain to its first Davis Cup semifinal for more than three decades on Sunday, sealing an emotional 3-1 victory over France to line up a home series against Australia.
- Hungary puts inmates to work on border fence to bar migrants Updated: Jul-16-15 4:35 pm
MORAHALOM, Hungary - Using materials prepared by inmates in Hungarian prisons, 900 soldiers will build a fence along Hungary's border with Serbia by December to stem the torrent of migrants, officials said Thursday - a project critics are comparing to Communist-era barriers like the Berlin Wall.
- Minnesota Timberwolves introduce European star Bjelica Updated: Jul-15-15 9:03 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Five years after Nemanja Bjelica's rights were acquired by Minnesota, the Timberwolves have finally added him to the roster.
- Balkan drug lord gets 20 years for cocaine smuggling Updated: Jul-13-15 9:32 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - A Serbian court on Monday sentenced a Balkan drug lord to 20 years in prison for smuggling 5.7 tons of cocaine from South America to Europe.
- Italy's La Scala performs a concert for peace in Bosnia Updated: Jul-12-15 7:59 pm
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Milan's La Scala Philharmonic Orchestra performed a concert Sunday in Sarajevo, bringing a message of reconciliation a day after the 20th anniversary commemorations of the Srebrenica massacre were marred by an attack on Serbia's prime minister.
- Srebrenica ceremonies marred by attack on Serbia's premier Updated: Jul-11-15 3:28 pm
SREBRENICA, Bosnia-Herzegovina - A crowd of furious Bosnian Muslims jumped over fences and attacked Serbia's prime minister with stones and water bottles on Saturday, marring the 20th anniversary commemorations of the Srebrenica massacre.
- Albania awarded Serbia win by sports court in drone case Updated: Jul-10-15 4:38 pm
Albania was awarded a victory over Serbia by the top sports court on Friday in a reversal of a UEFA sanction over a soccer game that was abandoned when a drone with a political banner flew into the stadium and sparked violence.
- Radicals in Hungary vows series of anti-immigrant protests Updated: Jul-10-15 3:09 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - A right-wing radical group says all refugees entering Hungary illegally should be deported for reasons of national security and says it will hold anti-immigrant protests at refugee camps and along the border with Serbia.
- Serb police ban gatherings marking Srebrenica anniversary Updated: Jul-10-15 8:17 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Fearing unrest, Serbia's police have banned gatherings honoring the victims of the Srebrenica massacre 20 years ago as well as those by ultranationalists who have threatened to disrupt the event.
- Merkel visits Balkans amid Greek crisis Updated: Jul-08-15 5:26 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - The Balkan countries aspiring for European Union membership can reach their goals despite the crisis in Greece, Angela Merkel said Wednesday as she began a two-day tour of the region.
- Russia vetoes UN resolution calling Srebrenica a genocide Updated: Jul-08-15 2:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia vetoed a U.N. resolution Wednesday that would have condemned the 1995 massacre of Muslims at Srebrenica during the Bosnian war as a "crime of genocide," saying that singling out the Bosnian Serbs for a war crime would create greater division in the Balkans.
- Merkel assures Albania of European prospects Updated: Jul-08-15 11:44 am
TIRANA, Albania - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has assured Albania and Western Balkan countries there is no artificial delay in their EU entry prospects but says they should deepen reforms to achieve the required standards.