- Ukraine: 3 killed after Black Sea base attack Updated: Apr-17-14 2:51 am
- Ukraine, US to alternately cajole, threaten Russia Updated: Apr-17-14 1:23 am
- West slams Russia 'fantasy narrative' on Ukraine Updated: Apr-16-14 8:15 pm
- NATO ups military presence amid Russian threat Updated: Apr-16-14 7:55 pm
- US readies sanctions on Russia, aid for Ukraine Updated: Apr-16-14 7:08 pm
- US: Russia facing diplomacy or new sanctions Updated: Apr-16-14 4:36 pm
- Oil flat near $104 despite huge stock build Updated: Apr-16-14 3:16 pm
- Russian economy hit by Ukraine turmoil Updated: Apr-16-14 11:28 am
- Russian FM: Russia still to meet with Ukraine Updated: Apr-16-14 3:13 am
- Germany's Merkel calls Putin to discuss Ukraine Updated: Apr-15-14 3:52 pm
- US eyes more action against Russia if talks fail Updated: Apr-15-14 2:46 pm
- US Senator McCain mocks EU's Russia sanctions Updated: Apr-15-14 1:16 pm
- EU agrees to work more closely with NATO Updated: Apr-15-14 11:16 am
- German company starts gas deliveries to Ukraine Updated: Apr-15-14 11:12 am
- Russia tests Obama's ability to stop its advances Updated: Apr-15-14 8:39 am
- German economic confidence slips on Ukraine worry Updated: Apr-15-14 6:40 am
- UN cites human rights violations in Ukraine Updated: Apr-15-14 5:06 am
- Little sign of progress as Obama, Putin speak Updated: Apr-14-14 11:37 pm
- Putin to Obama: Russia not behind Ukraine protests Updated: Apr-14-14 4:52 pm
- EU to sanction more Russians over Ukraine policy Updated: Apr-14-14 2:34 pm
- Canada says Russia's actions "imperialistic" Updated: Apr-14-14 1:40 pm
- APNewsBreak: Russian jet passes near US warship Updated: Apr-14-14 12:55 pm
- Germany, France see ghosts of WWI in Ukraine Updated: Apr-14-14 8:08 am
- UN Security Council meets on Ukraine crisis Updated: Apr-13-14 11:43 pm
- Politics test Silicon Valley's Russian ties Updated: Apr-13-14 2:20 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Three pro-Russian militants have been killed and 13 wounded after Ukrainian troops repelled an attack on a National Guard base in the Black Sea port of Mariupol, Ukraine's interior minister said Thursday.
GENEVA - Ukraine is hoping to placate Russia and calm hostilities with its neighbor even as the U.S. prepares a new round of sanctions to punish Moscow for what it regards as fomenting unrest.
UNITED NATIONS - Western countries on the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday slammed what they called Russia's "fantasy narrative" on the crisis in Ukraine after a new report on the human rights situation there.
BRUSSELS - NATO is strengthening its military footprint along its eastern border immediately in response to Russia's aggression in Ukraine, the alliance's chief said Wednesday.
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is preparing to ratchet up sanctions on Russia and boost assistance for the Ukrainian military in the coming days, U.S. officials said Wednesday, as Ukraine struggles to contain a pro-Russian uprising in its eastern cities.
GENEVA - A senior U.S. official says high-stakes diplomatic meetings in Geneva on Thursday to try to ease burgeoning violence in eastern Ukraine will mark Kiev's final attempt to engage with Russia before the West hits Moscow with additional economic sanctions.
Oil rose one penny Wednesday as worries about upheaval in Ukraine canceled out a huge increase in U.S. oil supplies.
MOSCOW - Russia's economy slowed sharply at the start of the year as the crisis in Ukraine spooked investors into pulling money out of the country. But with Russian President Vladimir Putin still enjoying high popularity ratings, the economic damage is not yet likely to soften his politics in the region, analysts say.
HANOI, Vietnam - Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says Russia is still planning to meet with Ukrainian officials at an international conference in Geneva on Thursday.
WASHINGTON - The State Department says the U.S. is eyeing a new round of sanctions against Russia over its actions in Ukraine, but any new move against Moscow is unlikely until after a diplomatic meeting later this week in Geneva.
TALLINN, Estonia - Sen. John McCain of Arizona has dismissed the European Union's sanctions on Russia following the crisis in Ukraine as "almost a joke" during a tour of the Baltic countries.
LUXEMBOURG - Spooked by Russia's actions against Ukraine and what the Kremlin may attempt in the future, European Union defense ministers agreed Tuesday to step up cooperation with the U.S.-led NATO defense alliance.
BERLIN - German utility company RWE said Tuesday it has started sending natural gas to Ukraine, a move that could support the country if Russia acts on its threat to cut off supplies because of a massive debt for past deliveries.
WASHINGTON - With the White House asserting that Russia is stoking instability in eastern Ukraine, President Barack Obama is once again faced with the complicated reality of following through on his tough warnings against overseas provocations.
FRANKFURT, Germany - A key German measure of investor confidence in the economy slipped in April as the conflict in Ukraine created uncertainty about the future.
GENEVA - Corruption, a lack of independence of the judiciary and a lack of free elections were among the root causes of popular protests that took place in Ukraine from November to February, the United Nations said Tuesday in a report on the country's human rights situation.
WASHINGTON - Speaking for the first time in more than two weeks, President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin showed little sign of agreement on Monday, with the U.S. leader urging pro-Russian forces to de-escalate the situation in eastern Ukraine and Putin denying that Moscow was interfering in the region.
LUXEMBOURG - A high-ranking official of the European Union says foreign ministers have decided to sanction more Russians with asset freezes and visa bans as a sign of opposition to Moscow's policy toward Ukraine.
OTTAWA, Ontario - Canada's prime minister says Russia's actions against Ukraine are "aggressive, militaristic and imperialistic" and it's time everyone recognizes the depth and seriousness of that threat.
WASHINGTON - A Russian fighter jet made multiple, close-range passes near an American warship in the Black Sea for more than 90 minutes Saturday amid escalating tensions in the region, U.S. military officials said Monday.
BERLIN - Senior French and German officials have warned that the surge in nationalism fueling the crisis in Ukraine echoes the ideas that gripped Europe a century ago and led to World War I.
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council met late Sunday in emergency session as violence escalated in eastern Ukraine, hours before a Monday morning deadline for pro-Russia protesters to lay down their arms or face Ukrainian troops.
SAN MATEO, California - Entrepreneurs and investors say Silicon Valley's fast-growing financial ties with Russia's tech sector are being slowed down by current political tensions between the White House and the Kremlin.