- US analyst who spied for Israel to be paroled after 30 years Updated: Jul-28-15 3:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Jonathan Pollard, a former Naval intelligence analyst convicted of spying for Israel and passing along a trove of classified documents, has been granted parole and will be released from prison in November after nearly 30 years, his lawyers said Tuesday.
- In Bahrain, 2 police officers killed, 6 wounded in bombing Updated: Jul-28-15 3:03 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two Bahraini policemen were killed and six were wounded in a bomb attack south of the island kingdom's capital on Tuesday, according to authorities.
- Kerry implores Congress to back Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-28-15 2:12 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry warned skeptical lawmakers not to nix the contentious nuclear deal with Iran, insisting that it includes strict inspections and other safeguards to deter cheating by Tehran.
- Iran says will hold 'high-level' talks with EU Updated: Jul-28-15 1:13 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's foreign minister said Tuesday that "high-level" talks will soon be launched with the European Union following a nuclear agreement reached with world powers earlier this month.
- The Latest: Kerry's nuke deal testimony translated in Iran Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments on Obama administration officials' testimony Tuesday before Congress on the Iran nuclear deal (all times local EDT):
- Officials: Iran may take own samples at alleged nuclear site Updated: Jul-28-15 10:19 am
VIENNA - Iran wants its own officials to take soil samples at a site where it is alleged to have experimented with ways to detonate a nuclear weapon, and the U.N. agency probing the suspicions may agree provided it is allowed to monitor the process, two officials told The Associated Press Tuesday.
- Detained Post reporter's lawyer in Iran asks for his release Updated: Jul-28-15 6:17 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The lawyer of detained Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian said Tuesday her client should be freed in the wake of the nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, Iranian media reported.
- Explosion shuts down Iran-Turkey natural gas pipeline Updated: Jul-28-15 2:32 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's energy minister says an explosion on a natural gas pipeline between Iran and Turkey caused a large fire and shut down the flow of gas.
- North Korea official says not interested in Iran-style deal Updated: Jul-28-15 12:29 am
BEIJING - The North Korean ambassador to China said Tuesday that his country has no interest in an Iran-style nuclear disarmament deal because North Korea is a "nuclear weapons state."
- Obama calls GOP criticism of Iran deal 'ridiculous,' 'sad' Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama unleashed a blistering and belittling rebuke of Republican White House hopefuls Monday, calling their attack on his landmark nuclear deal with Iran "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- Saudi FM says Iran is still showing 'hostility' in region Updated: Jul-27-15 4:22 pm
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia's top diplomat has told visiting EU foreign policy chief that Iran is still showing "hostility" toward countries in the region, following a landmark deal on curbing Tehran's nuclear program earlier this month.
- Former ambassadors to Israel back Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-27-15 12:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Seven former U.S. diplomats and State Department officials sent a letter Monday to leaders in Congress urging them to support the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Putin, Xi, Rouhani to address annual UN high-level meeting Updated: Jul-27-15 10:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The presidents of China, Russia, Iran and the United States are scheduled to speak at the 70th annual U.N. General Assembly of world leaders in September - a rare appearance for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the first for Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Candidate criticizes Iran deal as being similar to Holocaust Updated: Jul-27-15 9:59 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is likening the agreement on an Iranian nuclear deal to "marching the Israelis to the door of the oven," a reference to the Holocaust.
- Democratic senator leaning toward supporting Iran deal Updated: Jul-26-15 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia said Sunday he is leaning toward supporting the Iranian nuclear deal because the alternative would be war.
- Iran's top diplomat tours Arab states following nuclear deal Updated: Jul-26-15 10:37 am
KUWAIT CITY - Iran's top diplomat began a three-nation regional tour Sunday aimed at deepening ties with Arab neighbors following the conclusion of the Islamic Republic's historic nuclear deal with world powers.
- Lieberman, in retirement, lobbies against Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-26-15 10:37 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Former Sen. Joe Lieberman, who staked his Senate career on a tough U.S. response to terrorism following the 9/11 attacks, has emerged from retirement to again jump into the fray.
- Q&A: Kurds fight Islamic State and endure attacks Updated: Jul-25-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - Turkish jets struck camps belonging to Kurdish militants in northern Iraq Friday and Saturday in what were the first strikes since a peace deal was announced in 2013.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.
- Analysis: Like Iran, pacts with USSR ignored foe's behavior Updated: Jul-24-15 3:26 am
WASHINGTON - Critics of the Iran nuclear deal claim it is flawed, among many reasons, because it does not demand that Tehran also change its behavior at home and abroad. That complaint ignores the United States' long history of striking arms control agreements with the Soviet Union, a far more dangerous enemy.
- White House labels rally against Iran deal "pro-war rally" Updated: Jul-23-15 5:10 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's spokesman has referred to a Washington demonstration against the Iran nuclear deal as a "pro-war rally."
- GOP's Walker hits Obama on Iran, strikes combative tone Updated: Jul-23-15 4:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker told a sympathetic crowd of state lawmakers from around the country Thursday that he would trash the nuclear deal with Iran on his first day as president, striking a combative tone on how he would govern on a range of domestic and foreign policy issues.
- 8 people, including NY assemblyman, arrested at Iran protest Updated: Jul-23-15 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Authorities say eight people, including a state politician, have been arrested at a Manhattan demonstration against the proposed U.S. deal with Iran.
- Germany rejects criticism of its business ambitions in Iran Updated: Jul-23-15 12:29 pm
BERLIN - In the race to secure business deals with Iran, Germany was quickest out of the blocks.
- Saudi FM: Iran deal may stop Tehran from getting nuke weapon Updated: Jul-23-15 11:10 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia's foreign minister said Thursday the Iran nuclear deal appears to have the provisions needed to curtail Iran's ability to obtain a nuclear weapon in what were the most favorable remarks yet from the kingdom on the recent agreement.