- Iran diplomat missing since Saudi hajj stampede found dead Updated: Nov-26-15 7:43 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran says a senior diplomat missing since the Saudi hajj stampede in September has been found dead.
- UN: No assurance all of Iran's nuclear program is peaceful Updated: Nov-26-15 5:53 am
VIENNA - Iran is reducing its nuclear activities under a deal with six world powers, but a senior U.N. official says he cannot guarantee that everything it is doing is peaceful.
- Rubio: Obama administration continues to make US less safe Updated: Nov-25-15 3:12 pm
MOUNT PLEASANT, South Carolina - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio said in South Carolina on Wednesday that the Obama administration is making the United States less safe instead of more secure.
- Supreme leader says US using money, sex to infiltrate Iran Updated: Nov-25-15 8:33 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's top leader says the United States is using "money and sex" to try to infiltrate the Islamic Republic and warns Iranians not to fall into the "enemy's trap."
- Iran seeks revival of caviar industry in post-sanctions era Updated: Nov-24-15 12:43 pm
GOLDASHT, Iran - On the shores of the Caspian Sea, an ambitious project is underway to produce a pricey delicacy that could boost Iran's economy as sanctions ease: caviar.
- Despite warnings about West, 007 finds his way into Iran ad Updated: Nov-24-15 10:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Even amid warnings about Western infiltration, the famed fictional British spy James Bond still found a way to get into Iran.
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Syrian troops seize territory from IS in central province Updated: Nov-23-15 8:20 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syrian troops backed by Russian airstrikes captured areas from the Islamic State group in the central province of Homs on Monday, in the latest push since the aerial campaign began nearly two months ago, state media and a monitoring group said.
- Analysis: Mideast chaos, violence won't end with IS defeat Updated: Nov-23-15 3:11 am
WASHINGTON - The chaos and violence gripping the Middle East are not likely to evaporate even if the forces arrayed against the Islamic State group manage to crush the brutal army and its drive to establish an Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria and beyond.
- Report: Bahrain tortured detainees years after 2011 protests Updated: Nov-23-15 12:56 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Bahrain's security forces tortured detainees in the years after its 2011 protests, despite a government promise to stop such abuses in the island nation, according to a new report released Monday.
- Iran sentences US journalist to prison Updated: Nov-22-15 1:43 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has sentenced detained Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian to an unspecified prison term following his conviction last month on charges that include espionage, Iranian state TV reported Sunday.
- Told he must go, Syria's Assad may outlast Obama in office Updated: Nov-22-15 10:50 am
WASHINGTON - Bashar Assad's presidency looks likely to outlast Barack Obama's.
- Iranian official: Crashed drone was home grown Updated: Nov-22-15 3:20 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian media are reporting a reconnaissance drone that crashed in the country's southwest was Iranian made, and not foreign as initially thought.
- Iran's Guard simulates capture of Al-Aqsa Mosque Updated: Nov-21-15 12:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Paramilitary forces from Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard have held a war game simulating the capture of Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque from Israeli control, state media reported Saturday.
- UN committee scolds Iran on human rights record Updated: Nov-19-15 4:18 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. General Assembly's human rights committee has approved a resolution expressing deep concern about rights violations in Iran.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- With Islamic State targeted, what happens to Syria's Assad? Updated: Nov-18-15 3:17 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The tide of global rage against the Islamic State group lends greater urgency to ending the jihadis' ability to operate at will from a base in war-torn Syria. That momentum could also force a reevaluation of what to do about President Bashar Assad and puts a renewed focus on the position of his key patrons, Russia and Iran.
- Iran to boost oil exports after sanctions are lifted Updated: Nov-17-15 1:30 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran said Tuesday it will export an additional 500,000 barrels of oil a day after sanctions are lifted under a landmark nuclear deal in a bid to reclaim its market share despite low prices.
- Understaffed Iran thrashes Guam 6-0 in World Cup qualifying Updated: Nov-17-15 2:51 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Despite missing captain Andranik Teymourian and three other players reportedly due to visa issues, Iran thrashed Guam 6-0 on Tuesday to move into top spot in Group D in Asian qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.
- IS could ultimately force West to consider invasion Updated: Nov-16-15 2:48 pm
CAIRO - This is the fundamental contradiction, after Paris: Few in the West want to send ground troops to Syria and Iraq to battle the Islamic State group, but it may be even harder to find anyone who thinks airstrikes alone will defeat the radical extremists.
- AP Newsbreak: Iraq warned of attacks before Paris assault Updated: Nov-16-15 7:06 am
BAGHDAD - Senior Iraqi intelligence officials warned members of the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group of imminent assaults by the militant organization just one day before last week's deadly attacks in Paris killed 129 people, The Associated Press has learned.
- Wisconsin lawmakers propose Iran business prohibition Updated: Nov-15-15 1:14 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican legislators have introduced a bill that would prohibit the state from investing in companies that do business in or with Iran, saying the measure would help blunt President Barack Obama's nuclear accord with that country.
- Diplomats set plan for political change in Syria Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
VIENNA - Invoking the need for joint action after the attacks in Paris, foreign ministers of nearly 20 nations agreed Saturday to an ambitious yet incomplete plan for bringing peace to Syria and ending its role as a breeding ground for ISIS and other radical Islamic groups.
- The Latest: Top officials heading to Paris concert hall Updated: Nov-13-15 7:28 pm
PARIS - The latest on shootings and explosions in Paris. (all times local):
- Global push for end to Syria war seen as most serious yet Updated: Nov-12-15 12:39 am
BEIRUT - The international community is mounting its most serious effort yet to end the nearly 5-year-old Syrian war, rallying around a second round of talks in Vienna this weekend amid the emergence of a Russian proposal that calls for early elections.