- Israeli leader predicts "cold peace" in Mideast Updated: Dec-08-13 1:11 pm
- Palestinians remember Mandela as an inspiration Updated: Dec-08-13 12:30 pm
- Israeli-born circuit judge makes his own luck Updated: Dec-08-13 2:00 am
- Obama: Chances for final Iran deal 50-50 or worse Updated: Dec-07-13 4:57 pm
- Hagel outlines new weapons sale plan for Gulf Updated: Dec-07-13 3:28 am
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- Cyr: Iran accord underscores Turkey's importance Updated: Dec-06-13 11:20 am
- At halfway mark, Kerry's Mideast effort stumbles Updated: Dec-06-13 10:44 am
- First planned Palestinian city a symbol of pride Updated: Dec-06-13 2:31 am
- Obama celebrates end of Hanukkah at White House Updated: Dec-05-13 9:42 pm
- Kerry seeks to soothe Israeli security concerns Updated: Dec-05-13 6:08 pm
- Calle 13 singer says Palestinians like Puerto Rico Updated: Dec-05-13 4:04 pm
- Religion news in brief Updated: Dec-04-13 12:12 pm
- Hezbollah commander killed outside home in Lebanon Updated: Dec-04-13 11:53 am
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: Dec-03-13 4:28 pm
- Iran calls Netanyahu 'desperate' post nuclear deal Updated: Dec-03-13 3:08 pm
- Antiquities dealer sues Israel for $3 million Updated: Dec-03-13 1:40 pm
- Israel provides humanitarian aid to Syrians Updated: Dec-03-13 12:22 pm
- Colorful kid nicknames dominate Israeli politics Updated: Dec-03-13 5:42 am
- Rogers Waters defends use of religious symbolism Updated: Dec-02-13 12:32 pm
- Netanyahu gives pope book by father on Inquisition Updated: Dec-02-13 11:52 am
- Israeli PM under fire for alleged pricey expenses Updated: Dec-02-13 9:31 am
- Italy premier visits synagogue with Israeli leader Updated: Dec-01-13 3:34 pm
- Israel's former leader slams Netanyahu over US Updated: Dec-01-13 3:05 pm
- Israel asks Germany to return art to Jewish hands Updated: Dec-01-13 9:22 am
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that any agreement to emerge from newly restarted talks with the Palestinians will likely initially result in a "cold peace," and therefore Israel must insist on "iron-clad security arrangements" to protect itself in case the accord collapses.
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinians mourned Nelson Mandela as their most loyal champion, lighting candles in special prayer services Sunday and holding his picture like a shield in confrontations with Israeli troops.
BARTOW, Florida - If someone asks how he became a circuit judge, Jalal Harb laughs and credits luck. However, friends, family and colleagues say the 56-year-old Lakeland man and father of two sons makes his own luck through hard work.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Saturday he believed the chances for a comprehensive nuclear agreement with Iran are 50-50 or worse, yet defended diplomacy as the best way to prevent Tehran from acquiring atomic weapons.
MANAMA, Bahrain - U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel opened the door for the U.S. to sell missile defense and other weapons systems to U.S.-friendly Gulf nations, with an eye toward boosting their abilities to counter Iran's ballistic missiles, even as global powers ink a nuclear deal with Tehran.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
12-06-13 - The international agreement to restrain Iran's nuclear program has generated anxiety in Israel and elsewhere. Middle East uncertainty underscores the growing importance of Turkey, a democracy with strong ties to both Iran and the West.
JERUSALEM - Halfway through an ambitious nine-month process aimed at forging Mideast peace, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, after another round of shuttle diplomacy, has little to show for his efforts.
RAWABI, West Bank - A state-of-the art Palestinian city with residential towers, a mall and a convention center is rapidly going up on once desolate West Bank hills and turning into a symbol of national pride.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama marked the end of Hanukkah with not one, but two receptions at the White House on Thursday.
JERUSALEM - Looking to soothe irritated relations with Israel, America's top diplomat on Thursday pledged to support the Jewish state's security throughout separate negotiations with Iran and the Palestinians - including Israel's demand that it "defend itself, by itself."
BETHLEHEM, West Bank - The frontman for the Grammy-winning Puerto Rican hip-hop outfit Calle 13 said Thursday that he sees similarities between the political situation of Palestinians and those of his own people.
Christmas tree is lit outside U.S. Capitol amid hymns
BEIRUT - Gunmen assassinated a senior Hezbollah commander after he parked his car in his apartment building's garage Wednesday in Lebanon's capital, a major breach of the Shiite militant group's security as it struggles to maintain multiple fronts while it fights alongside President Bashar Assad's forces in Syria.
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
TEHRAN - Iran's foreign minister said Tuesday that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has become desperate after the Islamic Republic agreed last month to cap its nuclear program in return for easing Western sanctions.
JERUSALEM - An Israeli antiquities dealer acquitted in a high-profile forgery case last year says the trial ruined his reputation and is suing the Israeli government for more than $3 million.
JERUSALEM - Israel acknowledged for the first time Tuesday that it is providing humanitarian aid to victims of the civil war inside neighboring Syria, saying it has funneled food and other emergency supplies to embattled villages just across the frontier.
JERUSALEM - When Isaac Herzog was a child, his Egyptian-born, French-speaking mother thought him to be as pretty as a doll. So she blended its Hebrew word, "buba," with a French-sounding term of endearment, "joujou," to create a distinct nickname that would stick with the boy for life - "Bougie."
NEW YORK - Now that his three-year world tour for "The Wall" has finally come to an end, Roger Waters wants to set the record straight over criticism he's received from Jewish groups regarding his use of the Star of David symbol in the show and his support for a cultural boycott of Israel.
VATICAN CITY - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday gave Pope Francis a book about the Inquisition in Spain written by his late father, an expert on the Catholic Church's forced conversion and expulsion of Jews in the 15th century.
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's penchant for scented candles is setting off a stink, with media and politicians accusing him Monday of extravagantly spending public money.
ROME - Italian Premier Enrico Letta says the economic crisis is feeding "the forces of extremism, hatred and intolerance" in Italy.
TEL AVIV, Israel - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert says his successor has severely damaged the country's relations with the United States.
JERUSALEM - Israel's deputy foreign minister urges Germany to give any Jewish-owned art from a trove discovered in Munich to Jewish or Israeli museums if heirs are not found.