- Israel begins honoring long-overlooked Jewish WWII veterans Updated: May-29-15 3:14 am
JERUSALEM - As a proud patriot, Brooklyn-born Dan Nadel enlisted in the U.S. army right after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. But there was another force driving him to battle - his Jewish faith.
- Oops: Israeli Burning Man festival torches ancient remains Updated: May-28-15 9:07 am
JERUSALEM - The Israeli Antiquities Authority says revelers at a Burning Man festival famous for its pyrotechnic spectacles have accidentally torched some remnants of prehistoric man.
- Christian schools in Israel say budget cuts hurt community Updated: May-28-15 8:26 am
RAMLE, Israel - It was an unlikely display of protesters: nuns cloaked in white, a black-clad priest clutching a golden scepter and dozens of Arab schoolchildren picketing outside the hulking headquarters of Israel's Education Ministry. Their message, raised high on large banners: "Take your hands off our schools."
- After suicide, Israel lawmakers discuss online shaming Updated: May-28-15 7:33 am
JERUSALEM - Israeli lawmakers are looking to take steps to prevent online defamation after an Israeli public servant killed himself over an accusatory Facebook post.
- Israel indicts Palestinian in murder of Polish tourist Updated: May-28-15 7:11 am
JERUSALEM - Israeli police say they have charged a Palestinian man with killing a Polish tourist in Israel in April.
- US Senator Graham in Israel ahead of likely presidential bid Updated: May-27-15 2:00 pm
JERUSALEM - U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham says allowing the United Nations to decide the Israeli-Palestinian peace process is a "mistake."
- Quartet Mideast envoy Tony Blair resigns Updated: May-27-15 12:23 pm
JERUSALEM - Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday stepped down as the international community's Mideast envoy, officials said, leaving a post that began with great promise but which struggled to deliver dramatic changes in its quest to promote peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
- Walker asks for supporters' opinions on national issues Updated: May-27-15 11:58 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - In another sign of his likely presidential campaign, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Wednesday asked his supporters to fill out a survey seeking their opinions on a variety of national issues and foreign policy.
- Israel defense minister: Islamic Jihad behind Gaza flare-up Updated: May-27-15 2:22 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister is blaming Islamic Jihad - a smaller Palestinian militant group in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip - for the latest rocket fired at Israel that drew retaliatory airstrikes overnight.
- Group: Hamas tortured, killed Palestinians in 2014 Gaza war Updated: May-26-15 11:10 pm
JERUSALEM - A leading international watchdog on Wednesday accused the militant Hamas group of abducting, torturing and killing Palestinians during the war in the Gaza Strip last year, saying some of the actions amount to war crimes.
- Ex-Israeli Premier Olmert sentenced to 8 months in prison Updated: May-25-15 8:56 am
JERUSALEM - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter, capping the dramatic downfall of a man who only years earlier led the country and hoped to bring about a historic peace agreement with the Palestinians.
- Palestinians to push forth with bid to oust Israel from FIFA Updated: May-25-15 7:24 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The head of the Palestine Football Association says he is pressing forth with his bid to oust Israel from FIFA despite efforts from its president to diffuse the crisis.
- Official: Israel thanked US for blocking nuclear document Updated: May-24-15 4:55 am
JERUSALEM - A senior Israeli official says Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has thanked the U.S. for blocking a global document at the United Nations aimed at ridding the world of nuclear weapons, a rare bright spot amid strained relations between the two countries.
- US rejects nuclear disarmament document over Israel concerns Updated: May-22-15 9:35 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States on Friday blocked a global document aimed at ridding the world of nuclear weapons, saying Egypt and other states tried to "cynically manipulate" the process by setting a deadline for Israel and its neighbors to meet within months on a Middle East zone free of such weapons.
- 2 men charged in California in terrorism probe Updated: May-22-15 7:28 pm
SANTA ANA, California - Two California men arrested by the FBI aspired to join the Islamic State group and bought a plane ticket for one of them to travel to Turkey with the hope of becoming a martyr, federal prosecutors said Friday.
- Abbas: Israeli settlement expansion blocks any peace deal Updated: May-22-15 8:05 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday said Israel is blocking peace by continuing to expand settlements on occupied territory, but reaffirmed his support for a two-state solution based on the pre-1967 border.
- Palestinians complain to FIFA over detained player Updated: May-22-15 6:54 am
JERUSALEM - The head of the Palestine Football Association has complained to FIFA that one of its players was detained by Israel, an incident he says illustrates his demand that the Israelis be suspended.
- World Bank: Gaza economy on 'verge of collapse' Updated: May-22-15 1:34 am
JERUSALEM - A new World Bank report warns that Gaza's economy is on the "verge of collapse."
- Senior Israeli diplomat: 'This land is ours' Updated: May-21-15 1:44 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's new deputy foreign minister on Thursday delivered a defiant message to the international community, saying that Israel owes no apologies for its policies in the Holy Land and citing religious texts to back her belief that it belongs to the Jewish people.
- Israel court orders Palestinian woman lawmaker freed on bail Updated: May-21-15 11:52 am
OFER MILITARY BASE, West Bank - An Israeli military judge ruled Thursday that jailed Palestinian legislator Khalida Jarrar, a well-known West Bank firebrand, should be released on bail, but ordered her held for at least three more days pending a possible appeal.
- Florida State University student dies on trip to Israel Updated: May-21-15 4:55 am
POMPANO BEACH, Florida - A 20-year-old Florida State University student has died during a trip abroad to Israel.
- FIFA making progress in Israeli-Palestinian soccer spat Updated: May-20-15 10:36 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - FIFA President Sepp Blatter says he is making process in resolving a spat between Palestinian and Israeli soccer leaders and hopes to avoid a vote to suspend Israel.
- Markell honored by Jewish National Fund breakfast Updated: May-20-15 4:19 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Delaware Gov. Jack Markell is the guest of honor at a community breakfast sponsored by the Jewish National Fund.
- American tourist dies while hiking amid heatwave in Israel Updated: May-19-15 11:04 pm
JERUSALEM - Israeli police say an American tourist has died while hiking during a heatwave in Israel on a trial leading to the ancient Jewish desert fortress of Masada.
- UN says will engage Israel on 'realistic options' for talks Updated: May-19-15 7:26 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations' new Middle East envoy said Tuesday that he and the U.N. secretary-general will engage Israel's new government to explore "realistic options" for a return to talks with the Palestinians aimed at a two-state solution within a reasonable time frame.