- FIFA candidates Prince Ali, Infantino claim votes in Africa Updated: Feb-06-16 5:35 pm
GENEVA - Two FIFA voters have defied African soccer leaders by endorsing rival candidates in the presidential election for Sepp Blatter's successor.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- Donors face record request of $9 billion to aid Syrians Updated: Feb-03-16 7:05 am
AMMAN, Jordan - International aid to the victims of Syria's five-year war, including millions forced to flee their homes, has persistently fallen short, but organizers of Thursday's annual Syria pledging conference hope for greater generosity this time around, despite a record request of close to $9 billion for 2016.
- Scholarships, tutoring to save 'lost generation' of Syrians Updated: Feb-02-16 1:59 am
ZARQA, Jordan - Until recently, Syrian refugee Eyad Zoulghena only had bad options.
- Germany proposes short-term jobs for half a million Syrians Updated: Jan-26-16 2:53 pm
BAQAA REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Germany proposes creating up to 500,000 short-term jobs to help Syrian refugees survive in overburdened Middle Eastern host countries, the minister for economic cooperation said during a visit to Jordan on Tuesday.
- Jordan Spieth's international tour continues in Singapore Updated: Jan-26-16 12:05 am
SINGAPORE - Jordan Spieth's worldwide golf adventure continues this week at the Singapore Open, where he says the weather reminds him a bit of his home state of Texas.
- Cheap loans proposed to ease aid gap in Syria refugee crisis Updated: Jan-25-16 2:29 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Faced with a chronic shortfall in Syria aid, the World Bank and other donors are promoting new ideas, including interest-free development loans for the hard-hit Middle Eastern countries that are hosting most refugees.
- Jordan says troops kill 12 suspected infiltrators from Syria Updated: Jan-23-16 2:58 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The military says Jordanian border guards opened fire on three dozen suspected infiltrators from Syria, killing 12 and wounding several others.
- Animals at Gaza's zoos die of hunger, diseases Updated: Jan-22-16 7:41 am
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - The African tiger at the zoo in southern Gaza Strip was emaciated, its belly shrunken and its striped coat hanging loose. It strode nervously up and down its cage.
- UN General Assembly chief 'optimistic' about Syria talks Updated: Jan-20-16 12:55 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The president of the U.N. General Assembly said Wednesday that he is "cautiously optimistic" about negotiations on a Syria peace deal because the main powers with a stake in the conflict share the goal of defeating Islamic State extremists.
- German think tank pulling out of Egypt over restrictions Updated: Jan-20-16 6:59 am
BERLIN - A well-known German think tank says it is moving its Mideast operations out of Egypt, maintaining that ever-stricter government restrictions have made it impossible to carry out its work.
- UN refugee agency chief seeks mass resettlement of Syrians Updated: Jan-18-16 3:53 pm
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - The new chief of the U.N. refugee agency said Monday the world should find a fairer formula for sharing the burden of Syria's crisis, including taking in tens of thousands of refugees from overwhelmed regional host nations.
- World Health Organization hopes to eradicate polio in 2016 Updated: Jan-17-16 1:12 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - An official says the World Health Organization hopes to eradicate polio in 2016, after containing outbreaks in conflict-ridden Syria, Iraq and Somalia by immunizing millions of children over two years.
- 'Son of Saul' and 'A War' in foreign-language Oscar race Updated: Jan-14-16 2:56 pm
LONDON - Danish Afghan-conflict drama "A War" and searing Hungarian Holocaust story "Son of Saul" were among five nominees announced Thursday for the foreign-language Academy Award.
- Obama greets Jordan's king as planes wait on tarmac Updated: Jan-13-16 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Jordan's King Abdullah II have met informally at Andrews Air Force Base.
- Syrian artist, war refugee draws portraits of Paris victims Updated: Jan-13-16 2:44 am
AMMAN, Jordan - When Syrian war refugee Lina Mahameed saw TV reports of the recent Paris attacks, she recognized her own story reflected in the brutality.
- Bedouin coming-of-age drama vying for Oscar nod Updated: Jan-12-16 12:46 pm
AL-SHAKRIYEH, Jordan - A coming-of-age drama set among Bedouin tribesmen roaming the desert emerged as the first potential Oscar contender produced by Jordan's nascent film industry.