- Russian entry into Syria's air wars raises worries Updated: Oct-06-15 2:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Russia's entry into the crowded and sometimes uncoordinated air wars in Syria is making the U.S. increasingly nervous, reflecting concern at the Pentagon and in Europe about the risk of accidents or unintended conflict.
- Syrian refugees increasingly return to war zones in homeland Updated: Oct-05-15 9:25 am
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Growing numbers of Syrian refugees are returning to their war-ravaged homeland from Jordan because they can't survive in exile after drastic aid cuts, can't afford to pay smugglers to sneak them into Europe or are simply homesick.
- Review: 'Black Flags' traces the Islamic State group's rise Updated: Sep-28-15 11:28 am
"Black Flags" (Doubleday), by Joby Warrick
- German vice chancellor calls for more refugee aid in Mideast Updated: Sep-21-15 2:38 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Germany's vice chancellor began a two-day visit to Jordan on Monday, after urging the international community to increase aid to desperate Syrian refugees in the kingdom and other regional host countries to slow their migration to Europe.
- Hungary posts ads in Lebanon, Jordan media warning migrants Updated: Sep-21-15 12:55 pm
BEIRUT - The Hungarian government posted ads in Lebanese and Jordanian papers on Monday, warning migrants not to enter Hungary illegally, saying it is a crime punishable by imprisonment.
- UN: 'Record' amount of aid for Syria crisis still not enough Updated: Sep-19-15 2:39 pm
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - The international community has sent "record amounts" of aid to alleviate the fallout from the Syria crisis, but it's hard to keep up with rising regional needs, the U.N. humanitarian chief said during a tour Saturday of Jordan's largest camp for Syrian refugees.
- Syrian refugees seek new passports as a ticket to Europe Updated: Sep-16-15 12:27 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - A months-old Syrian government decision to start issuing passports to Syrians who fled their war-ravaged country is quietly contributing to the large exodus of refugees to Europe.
- British PM urges more aid to Syria refugees in Mideast Updated: Sep-14-15 3:10 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - British Prime Minister David Cameron urged the international community on Monday to send more aid to Syrian refugees in Middle Eastern host countries as a way of stemming mass migration to Europe.
- Syrian refugees' misery fuels desperation to reach Europe Updated: Sep-13-15 4:06 pm
DEIR ZANOUN, Lebanon - Both women fled Syria after their normal lives were destroyed in the country's civil war. Both are desperate to start a new life and see Europe as their best hope. But their fortunes are a world apart.
- AP Interview: Refugee chief links aid crisis, Europe exodus Updated: Sep-10-15 1:27 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The influx of refugees to Europe was triggered in part by donors taking the "cheap option" and not giving enough aid to displaced Syrians in Middle Eastern asylum countries, the head of the U.N. refugee agency in Jordan said in an interview.