- Lebanon arrests Syrian 'terrorist' trying to flee country Updated: Nov-27-15 10:52 am
BEIRUT - The Lebanese army says it has arrested a man belonging to a "terrorist" organization as he was trying to flee Lebanon on a fake passport.
- Hezbollah condemns Senate bill to block its financing Updated: Nov-23-15 11:14 am
BEIRUT - Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group has condemned a bill approved by the Senate to block its financing, describing it as "a new crime by American institutions against our people and nation."
- Bipartisan push in Senate for war powers after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-19-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have given new impetus to a bipartisan push to approve new war powers to fight Islamic State militants, with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Thursday joining Republican and Democratic lawmakers in calling for what would be the first war vote in Congress in 13 years.
- IS attacks claim more than 800 lives abroad this year Updated: Nov-19-15 4:31 am
BEIRUT - The Islamic State group has dramatically expanded its theatre of operations from its hub in Syria and Iraq, executing or inspiring a series of attacks across three continents that claimed more than 800 lives this year.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- IS militants dig in, anticipating assault on Syria's Raqqa Updated: Nov-18-15 7:19 am
BEIRUT - Islamic State militants are stiffening their defenses for a possible assault on their de facto capital of Raqqa, as international airstrikes intensify on the Syrian city in retaliation for the Paris attacks. IS fighters are hiding in civilian neighborhoods and preventing anyone from fleeing, former residents say.
- As world mourns Paris, many in Mideast see double-standard Updated: Nov-17-15 12:34 am
BAGHDAD - Within hours of last week's Paris attacks, as outrage and sympathy flooded his social media feeds and filled the airwaves, Baghdad resident Ali al-Makhzomy updated his Facebook cover photo to read "solidarity" - and his friends were shocked.
- New ideas to tackle Syria refugee crisis: Investing, not aid Updated: Nov-16-15 7:09 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Bold new ideas for helping Syrian refugees and their overburdened Middle Eastern host countries are gaining traction among international donors, shocked into action by this year's migration of hundreds of thousands of desperate Syrians to Europe.
- Dearborn couple among dozens killed in Lebanon bombings Updated: Nov-14-15 12:30 pm
DEARBORN, Michigan - A Dearborn couple was among dozens killed in bombings in Lebanon, and among three to die from the Michigan city that's long been home to a large Lebanese community.
- Global push for end to Syria war seen as most serious yet Updated: Nov-12-15 12:39 am
BEIRUT - The international community is mounting its most serious effort yet to end the nearly 5-year-old Syrian war, rallying around a second round of talks in Vienna this weekend amid the emergence of a Russian proposal that calls for early elections.
- IS bomb on Russia plane would herald new phase in conflict Updated: Nov-05-15 5:12 pm
BEIRUT - At this stage, there is no hard evidence. But reports from the U.S. and Britain suggesting an Islamic State group bomb may have caused the Russian plane crash in Egypt are raising the alarm among experts, who say such an act would be a frightening change in tactics by the extremist group.
- Iranian state TV claims missing Lebanese citizen is a spy Updated: Nov-04-15 12:25 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian state television on Tuesday claimed that a Washington-based Lebanese citizen missing in Tehran since September is actually an American spy now in the custody of authorities.
- Iranian-American reportedly detained in Iran; 4th in custody Updated: Oct-30-15 2:24 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An Iranian-American businessman who advocated better ties between Iran and the U.S. reportedly has been arrested and imprisoned in Tehran, becoming the fourth U.S. citizen known to be held there at a time when hard-liners are pushing back against the country's nuclear deal with world powers.