- Sports stars, at UN, speak out against homophobia Updated: Dec-10-13 6:36 pm
- Hagel tours low-profile US base in Qatar Updated: Dec-10-13 1:10 pm
- Hagel orders airlift for Central African Republic Updated: Dec-09-13 7:35 pm
- Hagel warns Pakistan leaders over border protests Updated: Dec-09-13 1:08 pm
- Hagel outlines new weapons sale plan for Gulf Updated: Dec-07-13 3:28 am
- FIFA sets out timetable for 2022 WCup dates talks Updated: Dec-05-13 1:15 pm
- Qatar: US couple's adoption death case adjourned Updated: Dec-03-13 1:55 pm
- Belounis to sue former Qatari clubs Updated: Dec-03-13 8:33 am
- New deaths from MERS virus reported in the Gulf Updated: Dec-03-13 3:20 am
- Iran to produce more gas from Qatari-shared field Updated: Dec-01-13 5:28 am
- Scientists find mystery virus in camels in Qatar Updated: Nov-29-13 11:50 am
- Editorial: Karzai tries to pull a last minute fast one Updated: Nov-26-13 3:20 pm
- Players' union seeks urgent Qatar talks Updated: Nov-26-13 9:59 am
- Saudi: Iran nuclear deal possible 'initial step' Updated: Nov-25-13 10:01 am
- Blatter backs calls from EU on Qatar workers Updated: Nov-22-13 10:29 am
- EU criticizes conditions for World Cup workers Updated: Nov-21-13 2:37 pm
- Israel, Gulf in 'strange alliance' against Iran Updated: Nov-20-13 1:32 pm
- FIFA, trade unions to work on Qatar labor issues Updated: Nov-20-13 12:09 pm
- Qatar 2022 enforces welfare standards for workers Updated: Nov-18-13 11:56 am
- Boeing takes $100 billion in orders from Gulf Updated: Nov-18-13 9:27 am
- Rights group: Gulf must increase worker protection Updated: Nov-17-13 6:24 am
- FFA says FIFA bans Australian player over transfer Updated: Nov-16-13 3:05 am
- Valcke says April-May too hot for 2022 World Cup Updated: Nov-13-13 9:39 am
- Barcelona extends UNICEF deal until 2016 Updated: Nov-12-13 10:24 am
UNITED NATIONS - Former professional basketball player Jason Collins and tennis great Martina Navratilova on Tuesday urged world sports bodies like the International Olympic Committee and FIFA to take gay rights into consideration when awarding major sporting events.
AL UDEID AIR BASE, Qatar - The U.S. air operations center in Qatar has long been a hub where combat sorties into Iraq and Afghanistan were tracked and international forces kept watch over hotspots in the Persian Gulf and western Mediterranean Sea. But for years it's kept a low profile in a region sometimes reluctant to advertise its significant U.S. military presence.
DOHA, Qatar - Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the U.S. military to transport troops from Burundi into the Central African Republic to help quell the latest upsurge in violence there.
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned Pakistani leaders Monday that if they don't resolve protests stalling some military shipments across the border with Afghanistan, it could be difficult to maintain political support in Washington for an aid program that has sent billions of dollars to Islamabad, defense officials said.
MANAMA, Bahrain - U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel opened the door for the U.S. to sell missile defense and other weapons systems to U.S.-friendly Gulf nations, with an eye toward boosting their abilities to counter Iran's ballistic missiles, even as global powers ink a nuclear deal with Tehran.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - FIFA has agreed a timetable for consultation aimed at switching the 2022 World Cup kickoff in Qatar to November.
DOHA, Qatar - A court in Qatar trying an American couple charged with starving their adopted daughter to death on Tuesday adjourned the case until February.
PARIS - Zahir Belounis plans to sue his two former Qatari clubs for fraud, extortion of money and inhuman working conditions.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Health authorities in the capital of the United Arab Emirates say a woman has died from a SARS-like virus that has been centered in neighboring Saudi Arabia.
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says his country intends to increase production from a giant gas field shared with neighboring Qatar.
LONDON - Health officials say they have found a mysterious respiratory virus in a herd of camels in Qatar linked to two human cases of the disease.
If Afghan President Hamid Karzai is bluffing with his 11th hour set of new conditions for the U.S. and NATO to remain in Afghanistan, we should call his bluff. If he's not bluffing, we should start packing up to depart our longest war by the end of 2014.
LONDON - A delegation from the international footballers' union is going to Qatar to challenge authorities over concerns players' rights are being abused in the 2022 World Cup host nation.
DOHA, Qatar - Saudi Arabia cautiously welcomed Monday a deal reached between world powers and Iran, describing it as a possible initial step toward reaching a comprehensive solution for Tehran's nuclear program.
ROME - FIFA president Sepp Blatter backed calls from the European Union parliament urging Qatar to stop contractors from abusing migrant workers involved in building facilities for the 2022 World Cup.
BRUSSELS - The European Union parliament urged Qatar on Thursday to immediately stop any contractors from abusing the rights of migrant workers involved in building facilities for the 2022 World Cup.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - When U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry made another stop in the Middle East this month, he received an expected earful over Washington's outreach to Iran: Don't trust Tehran, tighten sanctions even more, anything short of complete nuclear concessions is a grave mistake.
ZURICH - Pressure on Qatar to improve the labor conditions for migrant workers building 2022 World Cup projects increased on Wednesday with FIFA president Sepp Blatter describing the situation as unacceptable.
LONDON - Companies building projects for the 2022 World Cup will be forced to guarantee welfare standards for workers, Qatari organizers pledged Monday in response to a critical report alleging abuses.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - U.S.-based Boeing Co. dominated on the first day of the Dubai Airshow, netting $100 billion in orders at an event that showcased the spending power and aggressive expansion efforts of the Middle East's Gulf Arab carriers.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An international rights group is urging Gulf Arab states to take additional steps to safeguard domestic workers who are often outside normal labor laws and protections.
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia says world governing body FIFA has banned Australian player Mark Bresciano for four months and fined him over an illegal transfer involving clubs in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
GENEVA - With momentum building toward a November kickoff for the 2022 World Cup, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke says April-May is too hot to play the tournament in Qatar.
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says it has extended its agreement to donate 1.5 million euros ($2 million) per year to UNICEF, keeping the children's aid organization's logo on the back of its jersey until 2016.