- Egypt sentences 3 Al-Jazeera reporters to 3 years in prison Updated: Aug-29-15 10:16 pm
CAIRO - An Egyptian court sentenced three Al-Jazeera English journalists to three years in prison on Saturday for broadcasting "false news," sparking an international outcry and underlining how authorities are trampling over free speech just over a year into general-turned-politician Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's presidency.
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Arab League delays meeting on creating joint military force Updated: Aug-26-15 9:22 am
CAIRO - The Arab League has postponed a meeting of member state defense ministers who were scheduled to ratify a protocol for a new joint military force to intervene in troubled areas in the region, the organization said in a statement Wednesday.
- Paulinho scores from long range in Asian Champions League Updated: Aug-25-15 5:56 pm
KASHIWA, Japan - Former Tottenham midfielder Paulinho gave his new-look career a boost on Tuesday by scoring a stunning long-range goal as Guangzhou Evergrande of China reasserted its status as the team to beat in the Asian Champions League.
- Scolari looking for elusive Asian title with Guangzhou Updated: Aug-23-15 11:33 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Guangzhou Evergrande coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has a point to prove after past failures in the Asian Champions League, and with his star studded Chinese team in fine form, there is much to be confident about going into the quarterfinals.
- Visa flap may sink World Cup qualifying match for Guam Updated: Aug-20-15 11:36 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - Visas for members of the Guam national soccer team to enter Iran have been delayed two weeks ahead of a qualifying match, leaving a Guam official to say political tensions between the U.S. and the Islamic republic shouldn't affect sports.
- UEFA urges FIFA to investigate alleged smear of Platini Updated: Aug-16-15 4:35 pm
GENEVA - UEFA has complained to FIFA about an alleged attempt to discredit its president Michel Platini, who is currently the favorite to succeed Sepp Blatter as head of the world governing body.
- Egypt rejects Qatar offer to mediate with Muslim Brotherhood Updated: Aug-09-15 11:58 am
CAIRO - Egypt has rejected an offer by Qatar to mediate with the banned Muslim Brotherhood group, focus of a government crackdown since the ouster of Egypt's Islamist president in 2013.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- Asia backs Iran deal, Kerry says A-Bomb anniversary relevant Updated: Aug-06-15 3:32 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and five of their large neighbors endorsed the nuclear deal negotiated between Iran and six world powers, as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday's 70th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing highlighted the importance of the accord in preventing the spread of atomic weapons.
- WADA approves anti-doping laboratory in Qatar Updated: Aug-05-15 9:50 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The World Anti-Doping Agency has approved the accreditation of a new laboratory located in Qatar's capital for anti-doping analysis.
- Treasury targets 2 Qataris suspected of funding terrorists Updated: Aug-05-15 10:06 am
- AP Interview: Qatar's FM promises best World Cup ever Updated: Aug-04-15 3:51 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's top diplomat on Tuesday promised that his country would host a successful World Cup in 2022 and suggested that criticism of its successful bid was partly based on racism.
- AP Interview: Qatar's FM urges 'serious dialogue' with Iran Updated: Aug-04-15 12:41 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's top diplomat on Tuesday called for a "serious dialogue" with Iran in the wake of its nuclear deal with world powers, even as he blasted Tehran for continuing to support Syria's embattled government.
- Gulf Arabs welcome Iran nuke deal but seek further assurance Updated: Aug-03-15 11:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - Gulf Arab states on Monday welcomed the nuclear deal negotiated between Iran and world powers but said they would like further assurances that the U.S. would help them counter increasing Iranian assertiveness in the region.
- Top Russian, US and Saudi diplomats to meet in Qatar Updated: Aug-01-15 7:29 am
MOSCOW - Russia's foreign minister has scheduled a trilateral meeting in Qatar with his U.S. and Saudi counterparts.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.