- New members of FIFA's scandal-hit executive committee Updated: May-26-15 6:33 am
ZURICH - The FIFA executive committee might have the worst reputation of any international sports body. Still, many candidates want to sit at soccer's high table, known as the ExCo.
- Army chiefs plan for proposed joint Arab force in Mideast Updated: May-25-15 5:50 am
CAIRO - Army chiefs of staff of Arab countries have drafted a protocol for a new joint force to intervene in Middle East hotspots on missions ranging from fighting Islamic militants to Iran-backed groups - despite lingering disagreements on some details, including where to base the force's headquarters.
- Platini: FIFA led by Blatter will always lack credibility Updated: May-25-15 3:14 am
- FIFA scandals while Sepp Blatter has been president Updated: May-22-15 5:48 am
GENEVA - FIFA has been routinely called "scandal-plagued" for much of Sepp Blatter's 17-year presidential reign.
- Previous FIFA Presidential Elections Updated: May-21-15 12:06 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter would certainly argue that being president of FIFA is the best job in sports. Becoming FIFA president is one of the hardest.
- Rights group: Qatar making little progress on labor reforms Updated: May-20-15 9:20 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Amnesty International said Thursday that Qatar is failing to deliver on reforms for its migrant workers a year after the wealthy Gulf nation announced plans to improve conditions for low-paid laborers building its highways, hotels, stadiums and skyscrapers.
- FIFA sponsors Adidas, Coke, Visa express concern over Qatar Updated: May-20-15 7:48 pm
LONDON - FIFA came under pressure from sponsors Adidas, Coca-Cola and Visa on Wednesday to push Qatar to deliver reforms for migrant workers as the country rapidly expands to host the 2022 World Cup.
- Brazilian soccer confederation says squads chosen by coach Updated: May-18-15 1:31 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Football Confederation says a marketing company that pays $1.05 million for the commercial rights to each international friendly match does not have the power to select the team.
- Workers' group to FIFA sponsors: Qatar a blot on your brand Updated: May-18-15 1:06 pm
LONDON - Advocates for workers' rights are urging FIFA sponsors to take more responsibility for the treatment of World Cup workers in Qatar, calling the "horrific" working conditions there a blot on any company's brand.
- BBC says team reporting on migrant workers arrested in Qatar Updated: May-18-15 7:22 am
LONDON - A BBC reporting crew spent two nights in a Qatari prison after being arrested while trying to meet migrant workers in the nation that will host the 2022 World Cup, the British broadcaster said Monday.
- Triple jump world champ Tamgho having surgery Updated: May-16-15 8:24 am
DOHA, Qatar - Triple jump world champion Teddy Tamgho was set for surgery in Qatar on Saturday and is a big doubt to defend his title in August after rupturing his Achilles tendon in the season-opening Diamond League meet.
- Athletics in Qatar: A changing game? Updated: May-15-15 10:39 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's main athletics track seems to sit between two worlds, maybe a little like the country.
- Gatlin runs 9.74 to win 100 at Diamond League opener in Doha Updated: May-15-15 9:05 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Justin Gatlin sent a message to Usain Bolt on Friday - both with his legs and his mouth.
- Top 3 US airlines step up attack on Middle Eastern carriers Updated: May-15-15 6:04 pm
Leaders of the three largest U.S. airlines are stepping up their attack against Middle Eastern competitors that they say get unfair government subsidies.
- Blatter to visit US in 2016, rejects talk of avoiding FBI Updated: May-15-15 2:32 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter says he has no fear of setting foot in the United States - no matter what the FBI might be doing.
- Obama vows to keep Arab allies secure amid Iran deal fears Updated: May-15-15 3:44 am
WASHINGTON - Charging toward an Iran nuclear agreement, President Barack Obama is assuring Arab allies that they are safe from the threat of an empowered Tehran as he seeks to shore up some of America's most critical security partnerships. However, Obama's claim of winning Arab support for his nuclear diplomacy appears far from certain.
- Doha sticking with plan for night marathon at 2019 worlds Updated: May-14-15 2:21 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Doha organizers are sticking with their plan to hold the marathon at night at the 2019 world athletics championships and will hold test events for athletes to get used to it.
- Qatari women win 2 out of 29 seats in municipal council vote Updated: May-14-15 7:50 am
DOHA, Qatar - Women won two of the 29 seats up for grabs on Qatar's municipal council, the only directly elected body in the small but wealthy Gulf nation.
- IAAF: Shobukhova doping case to be settled in the next week Updated: May-14-15 7:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - The IAAF expects a resolution "very quickly" in the doping case of three-time Chicago Marathon champion Liliya Shobukhova.
- IOC strips US of Olympic relay medals in Gay doping case Updated: May-13-15 3:31 pm
LONDON - The entire U.S. men's sprint relay team was stripped of its silver medal from the 2012 London Olympics on Wednesday as a result of Tyson Gay's doping case.
- World 1,500 meter champ Kiprop 'offended' by doping link Updated: May-13-15 3:10 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Two-time 1,500-meter world champion Asbel Kiprop said Wednesday he feels personally offended by his name being linked in the media with doping after Kenya's athletics federation suspended the management company that represents him.
- Gatlin wants to 'dominate on a higher level' in 2015 Updated: May-13-15 1:18 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Guess who Justin Gatlin saw soon after arriving in Doha for the start of the Diamond League season? Yep, Usain Bolt.
- Former FIFA VP banned for 8 years in 2022 World Cup case Updated: May-13-15 11:27 am
GENEVA - In a ruling that could lead to the downfall of more high-level soccer officials, FIFA banned a former vice president for eight years for taking money from Mohamed bin Hammam, one of the key backers of Qatar's successful World Cup bid.
- Injured Lavillenie withdraws from Diamond League opener Updated: May-12-15 5:33 am
DOHA, Qatar - Pole vault world record-holder Renaud Lavillenie withdrew from the season-opening Diamond League meet in Doha on Tuesday after injuring his right shoulder while running in a 4x100-meter race for his club in France.
- Gatlin eager for showdown with Bolt in August at worlds Updated: May-11-15 4:18 am
Justin Gatlin ruled the track last season in a very Usain Bolt-like fashion: 18 wins in 18 races.