- FIFA hits back at German TV after arrests in Qatar Updated: May-06-15 2:38 pm
GENEVA - FIFA has heavily criticized its broadcasting partner in Germany for a documentary about World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar that was aired after a reporter revealed his filming crew had been arrested in Doha and had footage and personal data deleted.
- Qatar seeks bids for chance to operate its biggest oil field Updated: May-06-15 11:43 am
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's state-owned oil company says it is soliciting bids from international energy companies for the chance to operate the small Gulf nation's largest oil field.
- Al-Jazeera America loses top executive Updated: May-04-15 5:44 pm
NEW YORK - The Al-Jazeera America news network, sued by a former employee who said he was fired for complaining about a colleague's anti-Semitic and sexist behavior, is losing one of its top U.S. news executives.
- AP Interview: Qatar minister vows to improve migrants' lives Updated: May-04-15 3:04 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's inability to ensure decent housing for its bulging migrant labor population was "a mistake" the government is working to fix as it prepares to host the 2022 World Cup, the country's top labor official said Monday, vowing his country would improve conditions for its vast foreign labor force.
- French president visits Qatar, deepening ties to Gulf Updated: May-04-15 2:20 pm
DOHA, Qatar - French President Francois Hollande, seeking to strengthen political and business ties with the energy-rich Gulf states, held talks with the ruler of Qatar on Monday at the start of a two-nation trip that includes a visit to neighboring Saudi Arabia.
- FIFA ex-security chief says match-fixing a 'global crime' Updated: May-03-15 2:17 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Football is facing a "crisis of credibility with its fans" over match-fixing linked to an illegal betting industry that dwarfs the legitimate sports economy, FIFA's former security chief said Sunday.
- France tightens Gulf ties with jet deal, security talks Updated: May-03-15 12:58 pm
PARIS - French President Francois Hollande is seeking to solidify strategic alliances in the Persian Gulf, as he heads to Qatar to sign a 7 billion-euro ($7.8 billion) fighter jet deal and then gets a starring role in a regional summit in Saudi Arabia.
- Qatar says Taliban, Afghan officials to hold 2 days of talks Updated: May-02-15 1:28 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Afghan and Taliban officials will hold two days of "reconciliation" talks in Qatar, the Gulf nation's state news agency reported Saturday, although both sides sought to downplay expectations from the meeting.
- Pair of sheikhs are the big winners at Asian elections Updated: Apr-30-15 10:29 am
MANAMA, Bahrain - A pair of sheikhs were the big winners Thursday at a meeting of Asian soccer leaders.
- France sells 24 Rafale fighter jets to Qatar Updated: Apr-30-15 8:10 am
PARIS - France has announced it will sell 24 Rafale fighter jets to Qatar in a 6.3 billion euro ($7 billion) deal.
- France probes migrant abuse claims linked to 2022 World Cup Updated: Apr-27-15 12:41 pm
PARIS - A French prosecutor has opened a preliminary investigation into allegations that construction company Vinci gravely mistreated migrant workers in Qatar as it prepares to host the 2022 World Cup.
- Qatar reconsiders SportAccord sponsorship after Vizer speech Updated: Apr-27-15 8:14 am
DOHA, Qatar - The Qatar Olympic Committee is reconsidering its sponsorship of a major international sports convention following the blistering attack on the IOC by the head of the conference.
- FIFA rejects lawmakers' call to re-run Qatar World Cup vote Updated: Apr-23-15 3:34 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has rejected a call by European lawmakers to re-run the vote which chose Qatar as 2022 World Cup host.
- India suspends Al-Jazeera broadcasts for 5 days over maps Updated: Apr-23-15 7:07 am
NEW DELHI - The TV network Al-Jazeera was off the air in India on Thursday following a 5-day suspension ordered by the government over maps of the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Council of Europe to urge FIFA re-vote on World Cup in Qatar Updated: Apr-21-15 7:39 am
STRASBOURG, France - European lawmakers are likely to urge FIFA to re-vote on awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
- Laudrup, Cannavaro eye coaching success in Asia Updated: Apr-20-15 1:14 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Michael Laudrup and Fabio Cannavaro were giants of the global game as players and can take a big step toward coaching success in Asia this week by guiding their teams to the knockout stage of the Asian Champions League.
- Beckenbauer: Bayern 'far, far, far away' from Euro title Updated: Apr-17-15 3:04 pm
NEW YORK - Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer is sharply critical of the team's performance in this week's 3-1 Champions League loss to Porto.
- US First: World track championships coming to Eugene in 2021 Updated: Apr-16-15 10:41 am
BEIJING - After nearly four decades of bypassing the United States, track and field's marquee event is finally headed to the country that has been the dominant force in the sport.
- Marquez gets another easy win at Grand Prix of the Americas Updated: Apr-12-15 5:57 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Marc Marquez needed no drama to be the fastest at the Grand Prix of the Americas on Sunday.
- Gulati: FIFA could benefit from US World Cup in 2026 Updated: Apr-10-15 3:36 pm
LOS ANGELES - U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati believes his sport could receive a big domestic boost from hosting the World Cup in 2026.
- US Embassy guard in Qatar assaulted, attacker in custody Updated: Apr-09-15 1:22 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The U.S. State Department says an embassy guard in Qatar has been lightly wounded in an assault.
- Cristiano scores 2 to give Kashiwa 4-4 draw with Shandong Updated: Apr-08-15 5:38 pm
JINAN, China - Cristiano scored a late equalizer to give Japanese club Kashiwa Reysol a 4-4 draw with Chinese side Shandong Luneng in the Asian Champions League on Wednesday.