- Putin orders sanctions against Turkey after downing of jet Updated: Nov-28-15 3:39 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday called for sanctions against Turkey, following the downing this week by Turkey of a Russian warplane.
- London protesters oppose UK airstrikes on IS in Syria Updated: Nov-28-15 8:29 am
LONDON - Hundreds of demonstrators in London are urging British lawmakers not to back airstrikes on the Islamic State group in Syria.
- Syria insurgents recapture town in Aleppo province from army Updated: Nov-28-15 6:38 am
BEIRUT - Insurgents say they have seized a town in Syria's northern Aleppo province from troops and allied Shiite forces amid intense fighting.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- Strikes on IS city, focus of international campaign, kill 8 Updated: Nov-27-15 11:30 am
BEIRUT - A new wave of airstrikes targeting the Syrian city of Raqqa, the headquarters of the extremist Islamic State group and the focus of an international military campaign, killed at least eight people, including five children, Syrian opposition groups said Friday.
- Hundreds protest jailing of 2 journalists in Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 10:53 am
ISTANBUL - Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Istanbul office of an opposition newspaper Friday, accusing the government of silencing critics and attempting to cover-up a scandal after two journalists were jailed on terror and espionage charges for their reports on alleged Turkish arms smuggling to Syria.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Canada to give UN $75 million for Syrian refugee relief Updated: Nov-26-15 5:55 pm
TORONTO - Canada's Liberal government announced on Thursday a US$75 million (CA$100 million) contribution to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to help fleeing Syrians, fulfilling a campaign promise from its recent federal election.
- 2 Turkish journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports Updated: Nov-26-15 4:11 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In new blow to media freedoms in Turkey, a court on Thursday ordered two prominent opposition journalists jailed pending trial over charges of willingly aiding an armed group and of espionage for revealing state secrets for their reports on alleged arms smuggling to Syria.
- Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-26-15 2:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner says his moratorium attempting to block Syrian refugees from resettling in Illinois is simply a request for the Obama administration to "take a deep breath" and tighten the review process to make sure Washington shares necessary information with the states.
- Cameron: UK must attack IS in Syria to deny group safe haven Updated: Nov-26-15 1:59 pm
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron urged skeptical lawmakers to back airstrikes on the Islamic State group in Syria, saying Thursday that the Paris attacks have given the fight new urgency and Britain owes it to key allies to act.
- Modern-day pilgrims mark first Thanksgiving in New Jersey Updated: Nov-26-15 1:05 pm
WEST NEW YORK, New Jersey - Refugees and asylum seekers who have recently arrived are among the thousands of immigrants marking their first Thanksgiving many miles from their native countries, which endure civil war, terror and human-rights abuses.
- Syrian family settling in Lexington amid backlash Updated: Nov-26-15 12:38 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - When Rama Al Najjar was 12 years old, she was bandaging bullet wounds and scrubbing blood from doorways so the blood wouldn't attract Syrian military attention.
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Australia calls for restraint after Russian plane shot down Updated: Nov-24-15 7:19 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday called for Russia and Turkey to show restraint over the shooting down of as Russian jet fighter near the Syria-Turkey border, adding Australia is paying close attention to the safety of Australian pilots over Syria.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- As Rhodes scholar, Harvard student to explore Syrian roots Updated: Nov-24-15 3:43 pm
BOSTON - The honor of winning a Rhodes scholarship carries extra weight for Neil Alacha. It will help connect him to his Middle Eastern roots.
- Syrian group: IS releases more Assyrian Christian hostages Updated: Nov-24-15 1:55 pm
BEIRUT - An Assyrian group says Islamic State militants have released 10 more Assyrian Christian hostages they had held captive in Syria since February.
- Paris attackers exploited intelligence gaps that remain open Updated: Nov-24-15 1:09 pm
PARIS - The Paris attackers exploited intelligence holes from France to Syria, authorities say, taking advantage of mistrust between European governments, France's overwhelmed security services and the collapse of authority across the war zone contested by the Islamic State group.