- Bomb goes off inside mosque in Damascus suburb, kills cleric Updated: Jul-03-15 11:38 am
BEIRUT - A bomb exploded inside a mosque in an opposition-held suburb of Damascus on Friday killing a Sunni Muslim cleric, Syria's state TV reported.
- Turkey reappoints former defense minister to post Updated: Jul-03-15 8:43 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has reappointed a 75-year-old former defense minister to the same post, to replace Ismet Yilmaz who was elected Turkey's new parliament speaker this week.
- IS says it destroyed archaeological pieces from Palmyra Updated: Jul-03-15 7:37 am
BEIRUT - Islamic State group militants have destroyed six archaeological pieces from the historic town of Palmyra that were confiscated from a smuggler, the group said.
- Obama's counterterrorism policy facing mounting criticism Updated: Jul-02-15 11:01 pm
WASHINGTON - At the CIA's Counterterrorism Center, it was a cause for celebration: Meticulous intelligence analysis backed by Hellfire missiles had paid off, once again.
- Cash-strapped UN food agency reduces help to Syrian refugees Updated: Jul-02-15 10:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The United Nations' food agency is cutting back on assistance to thousands of Syrian refugees after an appeal for a ceasefire to enable Syrians feed themselves went unheeded, World Food Program Executive Director Ertharin Cousin said on Friday.
- US drone strike kills Islamic State leader Updated: Jul-02-15 5:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A coalition airstrike in Syria has killed a senior Islamic State leader, who has been responsible for moving fighters and weapons from Libya to Syria, the Pentagon said Thursday.
- Kuwait promotes unity in wake of bombing designed to divide Updated: Jul-02-15 2:39 pm
KUWAIT CITY - An Islamic State sympathizer's deadly bombing in a packed Kuwaiti mosque last week was designed to fit an all-too-familiar pattern: extremists attack Shiites to stoke sectarian hatred and then proclaim themselves the defenders of Sunnis against those they denounce as heretics.
- UK minister: Illogical to attack IS in Iraq but not Syria Updated: Jul-02-15 11:23 am
LONDON - Britain's defense minister says lawmakers should consider expanding Royal Air Force airstrikes against the Islamic State from Iraq into Syria.
- Dempsey: No shortcuts in Syria rebel vetting Updated: Jul-01-15 4:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. hopes to boost a faltering program for training moderate Syrian rebels to fight the Islamic State, but it will not compromise on the standards it has used to weed out problematic volunteers, Pentagon leaders said Wednesday.
- 9 Azerbaijani citizens sentenced for joining Islamic State Updated: Jul-01-15 11:46 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A court in Azerbaijan has sentenced nine people to prison terms of up to 15 years on charges of fighting alongside the Islamic State group in Syria.
- Sectarian shooting wounds 7 people south of Lebanese capital Updated: Jul-01-15 7:35 am
BEIRUT - Supporters of rival Lebanese factions clashed early on Wednesday in a coastal town south of Beirut, leaving several people wounded, the country's state news agency and a security official said.
- Russia-US ties alive and well at Iran nuclear talks Updated: Jul-01-15 3:25 am
VIENNA - Russia-U.S. relations are at a post-Cold War low just about everywhere, except at the Iran nuclear talks.
- Italy detains 10 accused of preparing to fight in Syria Updated: Jul-01-15 2:37 am
ROME - Italian anti-terrorism police say they are executing arrest warrants against 10 people accused of preparing to go to Syria to fight.
- UN: World should be ashamed at failure to end Syria conflict Updated: Jun-30-15 6:01 pm
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday the world should be ashamed that three years after major powers approved a blueprint in Geneva to bring peace to Syria the suffering of its people is reaching new depths and the country is "on the brink of falling apart."
- Syria puts into circulation new 1,000-pound note Updated: Jun-30-15 7:44 am
BEIRUT - The Central Bank of Syria has put into circulation a new 1,000-pound banknote, one that doesn't include the image of President Bashar Assad's father and the country's former president, Hafez Assad.
- German prosecutors charge man with Islamic State membership Updated: Jun-30-15 7:41 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors say they've charged a 22-year-old German-Turkish dual national with murder and membership in a terrorist organization on allegations he fought with the radical Islamic State group in Syria.
- UN condemns fighting by Syria and rebels in Golan Heights Updated: Jun-29-15 11:02 pm
- As Kurds gain in Syria, Turkish govt ponders military action Updated: Jun-29-15 6:35 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - As Kurdish rebels in northern Syria rack up wins against the Islamic State group, Turkish media is abuzz with talk of a long-debated military intervention to push the Islamic militants back from the Turkish border - a move that will also outflank any Kurdish attempts to create a state along Turkey's southern frontier.
- For world, limited options if Iran talks fall apart Updated: Jun-29-15 3:17 pm
CAIRO - The Iranian nuclear talks are playing out in classic fashion: A self-imposed deadline appears to have been extended due to stubborn disputes, with the sides publicly sticking to positions and facing internal pressure from opponents ready to pounce on any compromise.
- UN: Islamic State destruction of heritage sites a war crime Updated: Jun-29-15 11:16 am
BERLIN - The U.N.'s cultural agency said Monday the destruction of antiquities and heritage sites in conflict zones by the Islamic State and other extremist groups could amount to war crimes.
- Putin urges all to fight IS group, backs Syria's Assad Updated: Jun-29-15 10:58 am
MOSCOW - In a surprise meeting with Syria's foreign minister, Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged his support Monday for Syrian President Bashar Assad and called on all Middle East nations to join forces to fight Islamic State militants.
- Suicide car bombing kills 20 Syrian troops in Kurdish city Updated: Jun-26-15 3:02 pm
BEIRUT - Syria's official news agency and activists say a suicide bombing has targeted a security building at the northeastern, mostly Kurdish city of Hassakeh.
- Seoul imposes more sanctions over North Korean arms trade Updated: Jun-25-15 11:01 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea on Friday imposed financial sanctions on seven individuals and organizations from Taiwan and Syria after they were linked to weapons trade with North Korea.
- Iran holds funerals for 8 men killed fighting IS in Syria Updated: Jun-25-15 5:46 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian state media say thousands of people have attended the funerals for eight Iranian volunteers killed in fighting against Islamic State extremists in Syria.
- Saunas and art therapy: Rehab for convicted Saudi extremists Updated: Jun-24-15 3:46 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - For most of his 20s, all Badr al-Enezi could think about was becoming a jihadi fighter. After getting in touch with former Guantanamo Bay prisoners who had returned to militancy, he began plotting how to take up arms.