- Letter from Hungary: Migrants seek EU's field of dreams Updated: Aug-30-15 3:22 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - On the edge of a Hungarian cornfield, the beam from a car's headlights reflects in their eyes: Europe's newest residents catching their breaths, fresh from evading border police.
- IS fighters try to push into new district in Syrian capital Updated: Aug-30-15 11:43 am
BEIRUT - Islamic State fighters on Sunday pushed into a large district in southern Damascus, clashing with rival militants just a few kilometers from the center of the Syrian capital, the extremist group and Syrian activists said.
- Turkish jets join US-led coalition in airstrikes against IS Updated: Aug-29-15 11:25 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish fighter jets have carried out their first airstrikes as part of the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State group in Syria, Turkey announced on Saturday.
- As asylum-seekers flood in, Germany struggles to house them Updated: Aug-29-15 5:46 am
BERLIN - Twenty-three-year-old Leila, her husband and two small children spent their first week in Germany in a temporary shelter, an austere but desperately needed haven after a traumatic flight from Syria that began when her husband was told to fight for the government.
- Lebanon: Shiny on the outside, rotting from the inside Updated: Aug-28-15 5:26 pm
BEIRUT - To the casual visitor, Lebanon may seem like a tiny slice of Mediterranean modernity and coexistence in a turbulent region plagued by violence and extremism.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Teen gets more than 11 years for helping Islamic State group Updated: Aug-28-15 2:54 pm
ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - A northern Virginia teenager was sentenced Friday to more than 11 years in prison for helping another teen travel to Syria to join Islamic State militants and for providing other aid to the group.
- Exhausted migrants scuffle at Greek-Macedonian border Updated: Aug-28-15 12:30 pm
IDOMENI, Greece - Scuffles and limited fights broke out Friday among more than 1,000 people at Greece's northern border with Macedonia as exhausted, thirsty migrants jostled to get into position to cross.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Refugees or migrants? Debate over words to describe crisis Updated: Aug-28-15 7:04 am
STOCKHOLM - Day after day, images of soaked and exhausted parents clutching their glassy-eyed children as they arrive on Europe's shores make their way around the world.
- UN calls for panel to identify Syria chemical weapons users Updated: Aug-27-15 7:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. chief proposed Thursday that a new international body to assign blame for chemical attacks in Syria's deadly conflict for the first time have the freedom to go anywhere and the support of all parties on the ground.
- Feds: Arizona man helped student get Islamic State training Updated: Aug-27-15 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - An Arizona man has been charged with helping a New York college student get Islamic State training in Syria.
- Record migrant flow reported on Hungary's razor-wire border Updated: Aug-27-15 1:11 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - Hungary deployed police reinforcements to rein in an unrelenting flow of migrants across its porous border Thursday, but refugee activists said the effort appeared futile in a nation whose migrant camps are overloaded and barely delay their journeys west into the heart of the European Union.
- New hospital in Jordan treats worst of Mideast's war-wounded Updated: Aug-27-15 4:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - They are among the most tragically wounded from the Middle East's multiple wars. A 14-year-old Syrian girl whose lower legs were torn off by a shell. A 15-year-old Iraqi boy who was severely burned in a car bomb explosion.
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Official: Syrian opposition figure dies in attack in Turkey Updated: Aug-26-15 11:25 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A Syrian opposition commander has died in a bomb attack in the Turkish city of Antakya, near the border with Syria, an official said Wednesday.
- Turkey, US conclude talks on anti-IS operation plan Updated: Aug-25-15 4:21 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish and U.S. officials have concluded "technical talks" over their cooperation on operations against the Islamic State group, Turkey's foreign minister said Tuesday.
- UN chief says 422,000 besieged Syrians got no UN aid in July Updated: Aug-25-15 2:56 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon accused all parties in the Syrian conflict of "indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks" on civilians and said the U.N. and its partners couldn't deliver food to 422,000 people in besieged areas in July.
- Syrian refugee mothers care, fear for newborns Updated: Aug-25-15 5:47 am
MAFRAQ, Jordan - Here among the tents of this informal camp for Syrian refugees in Jordan, pregnant mothers have given birth to children they struggle to care for amid sandstorms and crushing poverty.
- Islamic State claims to kill 30 for sodomy, UN meeting told Updated: Aug-24-15 5:28 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Islamic State extremist group has claimed responsibility for killing at least 30 people for sodomy, the head of an international gay rights organization said Monday at the first-ever U.N. Security Council meeting spotlighting violence and discrimination against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people.
- Thousands of migrants rush past police into Macedonia Updated: Aug-22-15 3:02 pm
GEVGELIJA, Macedonia - Thousands of rain-soaked migrants on Saturday rushed past Macedonian riot police who were attempting to block them from entering Macedonia from Greece. Police fired stun grenades and dozens of people were injured in the border clashes.
- 6 killed in Syria after Israel retaliates for rocket attack Updated: Aug-21-15 4:43 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Israeli airstrikes in southern Syria killed six people and wounded seven, Syrian state TV reported Friday, in retaliation for a rocket attack on Israel the previous day that Israeli officials blamed on militants backed by Iran.
- Report: Turkey erects concrete wall along border with Syria Updated: Aug-21-15 9:50 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish media reports say Turkey has started to construct a 45 kilometer- (28 mile-) long concrete wall along a key stretch of its border with Syria.
- Chaos at Macedonian train station packed with migrants Updated: Aug-21-15 5:37 am
GEVGELIJA, Macedonia - With her 10-day-old baby in her arms, Amina Asmani fought her way past baton-wielding Macedonian riot police and boarded a train that took her a step closer to her dream destination: Germany.
- Australia considers US request to bomb IS targets in Syria Updated: Aug-21-15 3:31 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is considering a U.S. request to launch airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Syria in an unprecedented departure from Australian foreign policy that could spark political disputes.