- Kurdish fighters capture military air base in northern Syria Updated: Feb-11-16 2:42 am
BEIRUT - An opposition activist group and a rebel say Kurdish fighters and their allies have captured a military air base in northern Syria.
- Russia proposes March 1 ceasefire in Syria; US wants it now Updated: Feb-10-16 10:14 pm
MUNICH - Russia has proposed a March 1 ceasefire in Syria, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but Washington believes Moscow is giving itself and the Syrian government three weeks to try to crush moderate rebel groups.
- The Latest: Russia has held important talks with US on Syria Updated: Feb-10-16 4:03 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria and the tens of thousands of Syrians fleeing violence (all times local):
- UK jury finds 3 men guilty of helping friend join IS Updated: Feb-10-16 12:49 pm
LONDON - Three young British men who helped a teenage friend travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group were sentenced Wednesday to several years in prison.
- Turkish leaders lash out at UN demands to open border Updated: Feb-10-16 12:16 pm
KILIS, Turkey - Turkey's leaders lashed out Wednesday at the United Nations and others who are pressing the country to open its border to thousands more Syrian refugees, accusing them of failing to shoulder the refugee burden or stop the Russian bombings that have triggered the exodus.
- French foreign minister leaving to head Constitutional Court Updated: Feb-10-16 10:10 am
PARIS - France's top diplomat is leaving his post to become chief of the Constitutional Council, France's top court which makes sure that legislation complies with the constitution.
- Kurds attack Syrian air base held by insurgents Updated: Feb-10-16 8:33 am
BEIRUT - Kurdish fighters backed by Russian airstrikes launched an attack in northern Syria on Wednesday in an attempt to capture a military air base held by Syrian insurgents, activists and a rebel commander said.
- Australia drops charge against suspected Kurdish militant Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The government has dropped a charge against an Australian man accused of preparing to fight with Kurdish militants against the Islamic State movement.
- A look at Obama's final budget proposal Updated: Feb-09-16 5:26 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama proposed a record $4.1 trillion budget on Tuesday. Here's a look at each agency and department:
- Pentagon seeks funding for Libya, Africa military operations Updated: Feb-09-16 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is seeking $200 million in the 2017 budget for counterterrorism operations in Libya and other portions of North and West Africa, but Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that Libyans must take the lead in eliminating the Islamic State threat in their country.
- Intelligence officials: IS determined to strike US this year Updated: Feb-09-16 3:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Leaders of the Islamic State are determined to strike targets in the United States this year, senior U.S. intelligence officials said Tuesday, telling lawmakers that a small group of violent extremists will attempt to overcome the logistical challenges of mounting such an attack.
- Hoarding, fuel shortages seen as Syrian troops near Aleppo Updated: Feb-09-16 3:01 pm
With Syrian government troops closing in on Aleppo, some residents are preparing to flee while others are storing up food and other supplies for a long siege. Here's what we know about what's happening to the war-ravaged country's largest city.
- Hoarding in Syria's largest city as government advances Updated: Feb-09-16 2:23 pm
BEIRUT - As government troops close in on Aleppo, some residents are preparing to flee Syria's largest city while others are hoarding food in case of a long siege, even laying out bread on rooftops to dry it out for storage.
- Indonesia sentences 7 for IS links, as Bashir files appeal Updated: Feb-09-16 8:09 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced seven men for conspiring with the Islamic State group, the first time the country has sent anyone to prison for IS links, as radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir appealed his conviction.
- More than 1 million are besieged in Syria, new report says Updated: Feb-09-16 7:53 am
NEW YORK - More than one million Syrians are trapped in besieged areas, a new report says in a challenge to the United Nations, which estimates just half that amount and has been accused by some aid groups of underplaying a crisis.
- What We Know: US looking for more help in fight against IS Updated: Feb-08-16 5:32 pm
Defense Secretary Ash Carter heads to Brussels this week to try to persuade partners in the 66-nation coalition against the Islamic State group to take on a bigger share of the load.
- Syria attacks stir humanitarian response as thousands flee Updated: Feb-08-16 5:10 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N.'s emergency relief coordinator says his organization and humanitarian partners are working to provide food, water and medical aid as a Syrian government offensive in Aleppo sends tens of thousands fleeing toward the border with Turkey.
- Investigators identify Syria site of possible sarin attack Updated: Feb-08-16 4:15 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has identified the Damascus suburb of Daraya as the site of a possible sarin gas attack last year, citing blood samples provided by the Syrian government.
- Saudi offer to send troops to Syria comes with uncertainty Updated: Feb-08-16 3:22 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's offer to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria is as much about the kingdom's growing determination to flex its military might as it is about answering U.S. calls for more help from its allies in the Middle East.
- US faces shortcomings in coalition-building for anti-IS war Updated: Feb-08-16 2:43 pm
WASHINGTON - To doubters of its strategy for defeating the Islamic State, the Obama administration likes to tout its coalition of 66 nations and claim strength in numbers. But a year and a half into the war, some administration officials are acknowledging that this supposed source of strength has its own weaknesses.
- Canada to end airstrikes against Islamic State group shortly Updated: Feb-08-16 2:33 pm
TORONTO - Canada's prime minister on Monday announced that the country will end airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq by Feb. 22, saying that "the people terrorized by ISIL every day don't need our vengeance, they need our help."
- Russian troops put on high alert as part of massive drills Updated: Feb-08-16 11:49 am
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin has scrambled thousands of troops and hundreds of warplanes across southwestern Russia for large-scale military drills intended to test the troops' readiness amid continuing tensions with the West.
- UN panel documents 'extermination' of detainees in Syria Updated: Feb-08-16 10:11 am
GENEVA - International investigators say several thousands of detainees have been executed, beaten to death or otherwise left to die during Syria's civil war, in policies that appear to amount to extermination under international law.
- Syrian family flees war, finds refuge in Evansville Updated: Feb-08-16 8:56 am
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - When Razan heard an explosion rock her Syrian city in the summer of 2012, she felt a pang of terror.
- Jordan: Promised trade perks will help employ Syria refugees Updated: Feb-07-16 11:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's planning minister says his country has been promised easier trade terms by the international community, potentially generating large-scale investment and "hundreds of thousands of job opportunities."