- Clashes intensify in Syria from Russian-backed offensive Updated: Oct-08-15 4:09 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Clashes intensified Thursday between Syrian troops and insurgents in central and northwestern Syria, part of what a top general called a "wide-ranging" offensive aided by Russian airstrikes and apparently aimed at clearing positions near government strongholds on the coast.
- NATO talks tough on Russia in Syria, with scant action Updated: Oct-08-15 2:23 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO talked tough Thursday about Moscow's expanding military activity in Syria, but the U.S.-led alliance's chief response to the Russian airstrikes and cruise missile attacks was a public pledge to help reinforce the defenses of member nation Turkey if necessary.
- Turkey seizes coin-making material used by IS, arrests 6 Updated: Oct-08-15 10:12 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Officials say Turkish police have seized material allegedly used by Islamic State militants to produce coins for the group and arrested six foreign nationals.
- Turkey warns Russia over trade ties Updated: Oct-08-15 7:13 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Russia that its military action in Syria is endangering trade ties with Turkey.
- Syrian militant group recasts itself as moderate option Updated: Oct-08-15 2:11 am
BEIRUT - The militants brought the two men into a square in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, then announced their punishment for failing to attend Friday prayers: 25 lashes delivered by a hose-wielding militant that left their backs covered in welts and dark bruises.
- Trio wins Nobel Prize for mapping how cells fix DNA damage Updated: Oct-07-15 9:35 pm
STOCKHOLM - Tomas Lindahl was eating his breakfast in England on Wednesday when the call came - ostensibly, from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. It occurred to him that this might be a hoax, but then the caller started speaking Swedish.
- Russia fires cruise missiles from warships into Syria Updated: Oct-07-15 2:36 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Russian warships in the Caspian Sea fired cruise missiles Wednesday as Syrian government troops launched a ground offensive in central Syria in the first major combined air-and-ground assault since Moscow began its military campaign in the country last week.
- Carter: US not cooperating with Russia against Islamic State Updated: Oct-07-15 2:18 pm
ROME - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter, in his strongest message to date, said Wednesday the U.S.-led coalition will not agree to cooperate with Russia in the fight against the Islamic State and no collaboration is possible as long as Moscow continues to strike other targets.
- Tax hike on humble Greek drink threatens town's future Updated: Oct-07-15 7:23 am
TIRNAVOS, Greece - At Statiris Tavern, the patrons' faces are hardened from a life of hard work - truck drivers, builders, and farmers who've just ended their grueling grape harvest.
- Syrian rebels face a new reality amid Russian air campaign Updated: Oct-06-15 5:32 pm
BEIRUT - The U.S.-backed rebel group Tajammu Alezzah has been fighting the Syrian military outside the city of Hama for months, but a new player has joined the fray: Russian warplanes, which have repeatedly hit their front-line positions, followed by airstrikes from government planes.
- Russian entry into Syria's air wars raises worries Updated: Oct-06-15 2:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Russia's entry into the crowded and sometimes uncoordinated air wars in Syria is making the U.S. increasingly nervous, reflecting concern at the Pentagon and in Europe about the risk of accidents or unintended conflict.
- The Latest: UN official warns EU on 'hotspot' migrant triage Updated: Oct-06-15 1:55 pm
GENEVA - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-06-15 10:09 am
PARIS - Qualifying for the largest-ever European Championship was supposed to be easy.
- Turkish court acquits journalist who suggested cover-up Updated: Oct-06-15 5:23 am
ISTANBUL - A Turkish court has acquitted a former television presenter of charges of "targeting a public servant" for posting a tweet suggesting a cover-up in a government corruption scandal.
- Turkey's Fenerbahce beats Nets 101-96 in exhibition game Updated: Oct-05-15 10:11 pm
NEW YORK - The Brooklyn Nets lost their preseason opener Monday night to Turkey's Fenerbahce Ulker, which got 18 points from former NBA lottery pick Jan Vesely in a 101-96 victory.
- Turkey seeks EU backing for Syria no-fly, buffer zones Updated: Oct-05-15 12:37 pm
BRUSSELS - Turkey's president sought European backing on Monday for the creation of buffer and no-fly zones on the Syrian border, saying that such moves are key to ending the refugee crisis.
- US officials question Russian flight incursion into Turkey Updated: Oct-05-15 12:13 pm
MADRID - The U.S. does not believe Russia's incursion into Turkey's airspace was an accident, a senior U.S. official said Monday, adding that urgent talks are underway on what to do about the weekend incident.
- Syrian refugees increasingly return to war zones in homeland Updated: Oct-05-15 9:25 am
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Growing numbers of Syrian refugees are returning to their war-ravaged homeland from Jordan because they can't survive in exile after drastic aid cuts, can't afford to pay smugglers to sneak them into Europe or are simply homesick.
- Turkish Cypriots: Reunification agreement possible in months Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said Friday that an agreement on reunifying the divided Mediterranean island can be reached in months rather than years if talks with the Greek Cypriot president continue at the same pace, with the same determination and political will, as they have in recent months.
- Kasich calls for Syria no-fly zones, warns Russia to comply Updated: Oct-02-15 2:17 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Friday the United States should establish no-fly zones and sanctuaries along Syria's border with Jordan and Turkey, and warn aggressors, specifically Russian President Vladimir Putin, that they violate those buffers at their own risk.
- Spain grants citizenship to 4,300 with Sephardic Jew roots Updated: Oct-02-15 9:15 am
MADRID - Spain on Friday granted citizenship to 4,302 people whose Jewish ancestors fled after being told in 1492 to convert to Catholicism or go into exile ahead of the Spanish Inquisition that saw many Jews burned at the stake.
- Saudi hajj disaster toll rises higher with Iran's 465 dead Updated: Oct-02-15 12:48 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The death toll in the Saudi hajj disaster rose sharply Thursday as Iran announced 465 of its pilgrims died in last week's stampede and crush, nearly doubling its earlier count and likely further straining relations between the two Mideast rivals.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- The Latest: Russia says not invited to strike in Iraq Updated: Oct-01-15 12:01 pm
MOSCOW - The latest developments as Russia and other nations counter Islamic State militants in Syria. All times local:
- Europe, US split over form of Syria talks Updated: Oct-01-15 11:17 am
UNITED NATIONS - Nine nations or five? In speeches at this year's U.N. gathering of world leaders, major powers are increasing calls for multilateral negotiations to end the war in Syria. But Europe and the United States are split on who should be at the table.