- Saudi offer to send troops to Syria comes with uncertainty Updated: Feb-08-16 3:22 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's offer to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria is as much about the kingdom's growing determination to flex its military might as it is about answering U.S. calls for more help from its allies in the Middle East.
- Dubai ruler says Emirates to privatize government services Updated: Feb-08-16 12:50 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dubai's ruler said Monday the United Arab Emirates will privatize some government services in the oil-rich country, as well as create a state minister position devoted to ensuring the happiness of its citizens.
- Call for responsive governments at Dubai summit amid turmoil Updated: Feb-08-16 8:48 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - U.S. President Barack Obama and other world leaders called on governments to be responsive to and inclusive of their citizens at a conference in Dubai on Monday, as the unrest of the Arab Spring reverberates across the Middle East.
- Willett wins Dubai Desert Classic with birdie putt on 18th Updated: Feb-07-16 10:33 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Danny Willett withstood the pressure and made a 15-foot birdie putt on the final hole to win the Dubai Desert Classic title by one shot on Sunday.
- UAE says it's prepared to send ground forces to Syria Updated: Feb-07-16 7:27 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - A top official in the United Arab Emirates said Sunday that his country is prepared to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State militants as part of an international coalition.
- Somali officials: Suicide bomber may have blown hole in jet Updated: Feb-06-16 3:49 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A suicide bomber is suspected to have set off the explosive that blew a hole in a jetliner, sucked the man out of the plane and forced the aircraft to make an emergency landing on Tuesday in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, Somali officials said Saturday.
- Lawyer: New York-born man was mistreated after terror arrest Updated: Feb-05-16 7:16 pm
NEW YORK - The lawyer for a New York City-born man serving a 15-year prison sentence for supporting al-Qaida urged a judge Friday to find the U.S. government liable for failing to quickly diagnose a medical condition after his 2010 arrest, but a federal prosecutor said he was treated properly.
- Emirates Equestrian Federation suspends 5 endurance riders Updated: Feb-05-16 12:57 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Emirates Equestrian Federation has suspended five endurance riders and temporarily postponed endurance races in the United Arab Emirates until the middle of next week in a pledge to improve the welfare of horses.
- Dave Renwick, top Scottish caddie, dies of cancer at 62 Updated: Feb-04-16 10:33 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dave Renwick, the Scottish caddie who worked for three major champions and was on the bag for Vijay Singh's greatest season, has died of stomach cancer. He was 62.
- Gulf investors to buy majority stake in Kuwait's Americana Updated: Feb-04-16 5:51 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A consortium of Gulf Arab investors has agreed to buy a majority stake in Middle Eastern food firm Kuwait Food Company, which operates regional franchises of KFC, Krispy Kreme and other well-known Western brands.
- Roger Federer has knee surgery, will skip 2 tournaments Updated: Feb-03-16 8:18 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Roger Federer has had knee surgery and will miss tournaments in Rotterdam and Dubai this month.
- Russia open to meeting with major oil-producing countries Updated: Feb-02-16 9:30 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Russia says it is open to a meeting with fellow major oil-producing nations to discuss production levels amid a plunge in global oil prices.
- Saudi government website shows 9 US nationals arrested Updated: Feb-01-16 3:18 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Nine Americans are currently imprisoned in Saudi jails, with eight detained in the past three months, according to a website belonging to Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry.
- Guardiola to become Man City manager, replacing Pellegrini Updated: Feb-01-16 1:09 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Pep Guardiola and Manchester City have long been considered a likely match: Soccer's most admired coach and a club with massive spending power seeking to become the dominant force in Europe.
- Saudi-led coalition sets up body to probe actions in Yemen Updated: Feb-01-16 10:31 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Saudi-led coalition striking Shiite rebels in Yemen announced Monday that it is setting up an independent committee to probe the force's actions in the deeply impoverished country amid mounting criticism over its military operations there.
- Dubai holds on to spot as busiest international airport Updated: Feb-01-16 8:57 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dubai's main airport solidified its position as the busiest for international passengers, with traveler numbers surging more than 10 percent last year.
- AP Interview: CEO hopes to settle Saudi firm's $6B of debts Updated: Jan-28-16 8:10 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The acting CEO of a Saudi firm that has owed $6 billion in debts since a 2009 crisis says he's hopeful a tentative agreement being offered to its creditors will be accepted.
- Qatari emir shakes up Cabinet amid low oil prices Updated: Jan-27-16 9:21 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar's ruler shook up his Cabinet on Wednesday, shuffling some ministers into new positions while consolidating some of their jobs as low global oil and gas prices squeeze the Gulf country and the wider Middle East.
- UAE rail developer suspends bidding process for extension Updated: Jan-26-16 7:53 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The government-backed developer of the United Arab Emirates' railway network says it has halted progress on the second stage of the project.
- 3 charged after lioness prowled Dubai neighborhood Updated: Jan-26-16 3:01 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Three people have been charged with public endangerment over an incident that saw a lioness escape from a home in a Dubai neighborhood and prowl the streets for several hours.
- Jordan Spieth's international tour continues in Singapore Updated: Jan-26-16 12:05 am
SINGAPORE - Jordan Spieth's worldwide golf adventure continues this week at the Singapore Open, where he says the weather reminds him a bit of his home state of Texas.
- Amnesty: Dozens of juvenile offenders face death in Iran Updated: Jan-25-16 7:21 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dozens of people who were arrested in Iran for crimes committed before they turned 18 remain at risk of the death penalty despite recent reforms, with many having already spent years on death row, according to a report by Amnesty International released Tuesday.
- Fowler eyes major to merit inclusion in golf's elite Updated: Jan-25-16 4:59 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Golf's new "Big Three" has been around for only a few months, and already there's talk of the exclusive group being expanded.
- Fowler wins in Abu Dhabi, another near miss for McIlroy Updated: Jan-24-16 10:32 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Rickie Fowler puffed his cheeks and shook his head. What looked like being a procession to the Abu Dhabi Championship title ended up being a squeeze for the American on Sunday.
- Globe-trotter Spieth 'beat up, mentally and physically' Updated: Jan-24-16 9:38 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Jordan Spieth's globe-trotting days are over, at least for the foreseeable future.