- Rights group: Qatar making little progress on labor reforms Updated: May-20-15 9:20 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Amnesty International said Thursday that Qatar is failing to deliver on reforms for its migrant workers a year after the wealthy Gulf nation announced plans to improve conditions for low-paid laborers building its highways, hotels, stadiums and skyscrapers.
- Dubai developer Emaar to float stake in its Egypt division Updated: May-20-15 8:05 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The property developer behind the record-breaking Burj Khalifa skyscraper in Dubai will float shares in its Egyptian subsidiary to raise cash for ongoing and future projects in the North African nation.
- Fire breaks out for second time at Abu Dhabi's Masdar site Updated: May-17-15 5:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The company behind a high-profile green-energy technology community in Abu Dhabi says a fire has broken out on the site for the second time in a week.
- Top 3 US airlines step up attack on Middle Eastern carriers Updated: May-15-15 6:04 pm
Leaders of the three largest U.S. airlines are stepping up their attack against Middle Eastern competitors that they say get unfair government subsidies.
- No one hurt onboard ship fired on by Iranians in Gulf Updated: May-15-15 11:34 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - No one onboard a Singapore-flagged commercial tanker that was fired on by an Iranian naval patrol in the Persian Gulf was injured and the ship did not sustain serious damage, the companies responsible for it said Friday.
- US: Iran fired on Singaporean cargo ship in Gulf Updated: May-14-15 5:58 pm
WASHINGTON - An Iranian naval patrol boat fired on a Singapore-flagged commercial ship in the Persian Gulf on Thursday in an apparent attempt to disable it over a financial dispute over damage to an Iranian oil platform, a U.S. official said.
- Bahrain king to attend horse show instead of US-Gulf summit Updated: May-13-15 1:23 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Bahrain's king will be attending a horse show in Britain rather than the summit between the U.S. and Gulf leaders at Camp David.
- Along with Saudi king, most Gulf rulers to skip US summit Updated: May-11-15 1:37 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - It is not just the Saudi king who will be skipping the Camp David summit of U.S. and allied Arab leaders. Most Gulf heads of state won't be there.
- Flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi diverted for security reasons Updated: May-10-15 8:02 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An Etihad Airways flight from Cairo to Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, was diverted to a military air base in Dubai on Sunday for "security reasons," the airline said.
- Maurice Flanagan, who helped launch Emirates airline, dies Updated: May-07-15 3:04 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Sir Maurice Flanagan, a British aviation executive who helped get Emirates airline off the ground and guided its breakneck growth for nearly three decades, has died. He was 86.
- Abu Dhabi to stop hosting international film festival Updated: May-07-15 10:49 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Organizers of the Abu Dhabi Film Festival said Thursday they are shutting down the annual international event after eight years, even as the oil-rich emirate attracts greater attention from Hollywood studios.
- Emirates airline annual profit jumps 40 percent Updated: May-07-15 10:19 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Emirates overcame the effects of temporary runway closures at its Dubai base to pull in a $1.24 billion annual profit, a 40 percent gain driven by the rapid expansion of its business and helped by a drop in fuel prices, the fast-growing airline said Thursday.
- Prominent Iranian human rights activist is detained Updated: May-06-15 11:29 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - One of Iran's most prominent human rights activists, Narges Mohammadi, has been arrested by state security forces and detained in Tehran's Evin Prison, her husband said Wednesday.
- UAE to explore Mars' atmosphere with probe named 'Hope' Updated: May-06-15 11:20 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates' planned 2020 mission to Mars will study the planet's atmosphere and be appropriately named "Hope," members of the project team revealed Wednesday.
- AP Interview: Emirates airline boss sees more US growth Updated: May-05-15 3:30 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The man in charge of the Middle East's biggest airline, Emirates, said Tuesday he is pressing ahead with a global expansion that could include more U.S. routes despite opposition from American carriers who accuse the airline of having an unfair advantage.
- Flight to UAE diverted to air base after bomb threat Updated: May-04-15 2:26 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A commercial plane was diverted to a military air base in Dubai after a passenger said the plane would explode, the United Arab Emirates' state news agency said early Monday.
- Air Arabia's Jordanian division to launch flights in May Updated: Apr-29-15 9:50 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Middle Eastern budget airline Air Arabia says it plans to launch a new division based in Jordan starting on May 18.
- UAE crushes tons of contraband ivory in anti-poaching action Updated: Apr-29-15 6:58 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - With a rock crusher rattling and Dubai's gleaming skyscrapers in the distance, the United Arab Emirates on Wednesday pulverized a mound of contraband elephant tusks and ivory carvings confiscated in the Gulf country to send a message against poaching and ivory trafficking.
- Man City set for upheaval after season of struggles Updated: Apr-29-15 4:02 am
MANCHESTER, England - Proof of the struggles at Manchester City this season arrived when the Premier League's team of the year was announced on Sunday.
- American star California Chrome won't run before Royal Ascot Updated: Apr-28-15 6:02 am
NEWMARKET, England - Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner California Chrome will not run in a warm-up race ahead of Royal Ascot as the American horse continues to recover from his appearance at the Dubai World Cup.
- US citizen wants pardon, compensation in Dubai video case Updated: Apr-27-15 1:24 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - An American who spent nine months in a United Arab Emirates prison for his role in an online parody video is seeking a pardon and financial compensation.
- Japan's Inpex wins stake in major UAE oil fields Updated: Apr-27-15 12:18 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Japan's Inpex Corp. on Monday won a stake in the development of major oil fields in the oil-rich emirate of Abu Dhabi, deepening the Asian nation's ties to the United Arab Emirates federation.
- Bulgari, Dubai developer Meraas to build luxury properties Updated: Apr-27-15 9:14 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Well-heeled Middle Eastern fans of Italian jewelry and watch maker Bulgari will soon be able to surround themselves in the luxury brand at all hours of the day.
- Bleisure: For Dubai biz travelers, soak up the sun and souq Updated: Apr-23-15 1:10 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - If you're visiting Dubai for a long stopover or business trip, make sure to leave a little space in your bag for a bathing suit, flip-flops and souvenirs.