- Yemeni pro-government forces retake key seaside town Updated: Oct-09-15 12:56 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Pro-government forces drove Shiite rebels from a strategic seaside town on Friday after three days of heavy clashes that killed nearly 100 fighters, Yemeni security officials said.
- New tally in Saudi hajj disaster shows at least 1,399 killed Updated: Oct-08-15 6:32 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The crush and stampede last month outside of Saudi Arabia's holy city of Mecca killed at least 1,399 people during the hajj pilgrimage, a new tally Thursday showed, 630 more than the kingdom's official toll.
- UN says Shiite rebels in Yemen have agreed to stop fighting Updated: Oct-07-15 6:36 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Shiite rebels in conflict-torn Yemen have agreed to stop fighting, the United Nations said Wednesday.
- Somalia wants to liberate territory held by al-Shabab soon Updated: Oct-02-15 6:35 pm
- UN human rights body passes Saudi proposal on Yemen Updated: Oct-02-15 11:11 am
GENEVA - A leading human rights advocacy group on Friday accused the top U.N. human rights body of failing to improve scrutiny of abuses in war-torn Yemen by approving a resolution presented by Saudi Arabia - a major participant in the conflict.
- Saudi Arabia denies striking Yemen wedding party Updated: Sep-30-15 2:52 pm
MECCA, Saudi Arabia - The spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition striking Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen denies it launched airstrikes that hit a wedding party.
- New US sanctions illustrate sprawling Islamic State network Updated: Sep-29-15 4:59 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government announced sanctions Tuesday against 25 people and five groups connected to the Islamic State, disclosing intelligence that depicts a sprawling international organization with tentacles across Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- US backs Dutch resolution seeking probe of Yemen conflict Updated: Sep-28-15 1:33 pm
GENEVA - The United States supports Dutch efforts to create an international fact-finding mission on human rights abuses in war-torn Yemen, the U.S. ambassador to the top U.N. rights body said Monday, setting the stage for tough diplomatic negotiation on the issue with Saudi Arabia and other Arab states in coming days.
- Rare US success in Syria, Iraq: Finding senior militants Updated: Sep-28-15 12:32 pm
WASHINGTON - A dedicated manhunt by the CIA, the National Security Agency and the military's Joint Special Operations Command has been methodically finding and killing senior militants in Syria and Iraq, in one of the few clear success stories of the U.S. military campaign in those countries.
- News Guide: A look at the UN General Assembly Updated: Sep-28-15 8:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The annual U.N. General Assembly ministerial meeting is always a major event, but this year's is extraordinary. It could bring a record number of world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, who hasn't attended in years. Most of the attention will be on Putin and President Barack Obama who will have their own separate meeting in New York at a time of tensions over Russia's military involvement in Syria.
- US acts to open dialogue with Iran about Syria, Yemen crises Updated: Sep-26-15 12:37 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.S. took steps Saturday to open a dialogue with Iran and others about the crises in Syria and Yemen.
- Egypt buys 2 warships from France, 2nd big military purchase Updated: Sep-23-15 1:16 pm
PARIS - Egypt has agreed to buy two assault ships from France, the French government said Wednesday, dramatically increasing its capabilities on- and off-shore as the country tries to assume a more prominent role against Islamic State militants.
- Muslim pilgrims gather for pinnacle of hajj in Saudi Arabia Updated: Sep-23-15 10:08 am
MOUNT ARAFAT, Saudi Arabia - Muslim pilgrims from around the world gathered before dawn Wednesday in the valley of Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia for a day of prayer that marks the pinnacle of the annual hajj pilgrimage.
- Man among 2 US hostages freed from Yemen returns to Michigan Updated: Sep-23-15 7:38 am
ROMULUS, Michigan - One of two American hostages freed after months of being held in Yemen's raging civil war has been reunited with family in Michigan.
- UN: Global food needs are outstripping donor generosity Updated: Sep-22-15 6:04 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The head of the U.N. food agency said Tuesday the overwhelming humanitarian needs in crises from Syria, Yemen and Iraq to South Sudan and Africa's Sahel region are outstripping the generosity of donors, and it is seeking new sources of money.
- Yemeni pro-government forces stall in push toward capital Updated: Sep-22-15 3:02 am
SANAA, Yemen - In Yemen's Marib province, a key battleground in the fighting against Shiite rebels, frustration is growing in the ranks of troops backing the country's president-in-exile after more than a week without gains on the ground.
- Michigan man among 2 US hostages freed from Yemen Updated: Sep-21-15 12:26 pm
DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Michigan - A Michigan man is one of two American hostages who has been freed after months of being held in Yemen's raging civil war.
- Oman, again the Mideast mediator, helps free Yemen hostages Updated: Sep-21-15 11:54 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The two American hostages, freed after months of being held hostage in Yemen's raging civil war, took their first steps to freedom down a staircase pushed against a gleaming Oman royal air force jet.
- Yemen rebels release foreign hostages, including 2 Americans Updated: Sep-20-15 3:34 pm
SANAA, Yemen - Yemen's Shiite Houthi rebels have released six foreign hostages, including two Americans, and flown them to the Gulf country of Oman, which helped negotiate their release, officials said Sunday.
- White House reports 2 Americans held in Yemen are released Updated: Sep-20-15 1:43 pm
WASHINGTON - Two Americans held in war-torn Yemen were released and sent to Oman, the White House said Sunday.
- FBI: New York man tried to help and join Islamic State group Updated: Sep-17-15 2:39 pm
NEW YORK - A man was arrested Thursday on charges he tried to help the Islamic State group, using Twitter to espouse support for the terrorist organization while attempting multiple failed trips to join fighters in Syria and Yemen.
- US announces $89 million in humanitarian aid for Yemen Updated: Sep-16-15 5:30 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States is providing $89 million in humanitarian aid to help people affected by the conflict in Yemen, the Arab world's poorest country.
- 6 Indians found dead after airstrikes hit boats off Yemen Updated: Sep-11-15 6:48 am
NEW DELHI - The bodies of six Indian seamen whose boats were hit by airstrikes between Somalia and Yemen have been recovered, India said Friday.