- Saudi official says kingdom ready to send troops to Syria Updated: Feb-04-16 2:34 pm
CAIRO - A Saudi military spokesman said Thursday the kingdom is ready to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State group provided coalition leaders agree during an upcoming meeting in Brussels.
- Tribal officials: Drone strike kills Yemeni al-Qaida leader Updated: Feb-04-16 9:10 am
SANAA, Yemen - A Yemeni al-Qaida leader was killed in a drone strike overnight in the southern province of Abin, Yemeni tribal officials said Thursday.
- Saudi-led coalition sets up body to probe actions in Yemen Updated: Feb-01-16 10:31 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Saudi-led coalition striking Shiite rebels in Yemen announced Monday that it is setting up an independent committee to probe the force's actions in the deeply impoverished country amid mounting criticism over its military operations there.
- In Mideast wars, hunger grips millions across the region Updated: Jan-29-16 5:40 am
BEIRUT - In a Middle East torn apart by war and conflict, fighters are increasingly using food as a weapon of war.
- The Latest: France, Iran sign trade deals Updated: Jan-28-16 1:46 pm
PARIS - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- UN panel on Yemen: Consider creating commission of inquiry Updated: Jan-26-16 4:50 pm
- Kerry says US-Saudi friendship stronger than ever Updated: Jan-24-16 3:11 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday that the U.S. friendship with Saudi Arabia is stronger than ever and that the two will work together to try to end wars in Syria and Yemen.
- Dozens killed in Yemen airstrikes by Saudi-led coalition Updated: Jan-22-16 1:33 pm
SANAA, Yemen - The Saudi-led military coalition carried out a series of airstrikes across Yemen Friday, killing dozens and striking an ambulance for a hospital supported by the international medical charity Doctors Without Borders, according Yemeni officials, rebel media and a statement by the charity.
- Prisoner refuses to leave Guantanamo as 2 depart for Balkans Updated: Jan-21-16 6:17 pm
MIAMI - A Guantanamo Bay prisoner who protested his indefinite confinement with a lengthy hunger strike has taken the unusual step of turning down a chance to finally leave the U.S. base in Cuba, rejecting an offer to be resettled in an unfamiliar new country.
- Al-Jazeera correspondent missing in Yemen Updated: Jan-21-16 9:01 am
SANAA, Yemen - The Qatar-based Al-Jazeera network says it has lost contact with one of its chief correspondents who they suspect has been kidnapped in the war-torn city of Taiz, central Yemen.
- AP Interview: Iran's top diplomat decries US 'coercion' Updated: Jan-20-16 10:07 am
DAVOS, Switzerland - New U.S. sanctions over Iran's ballistic missile testing are an example of an American "addiction to coercion" despite improved relations and a historic nuclear deal, Iran's foreign minister said in an interview Wednesday.
- Yemeni defendant pleads guilty in New York to terror charges Updated: Jan-19-16 3:43 pm
NEW YORK - An al-Qaida member from Yemen pleaded guilty on Tuesday to U.S. terrorism charges that included accusations he helped an American recruit join the terrorist group, clearing the way for the New York native to hatch a plot against the Long Island Rail Road.
- UN: 92,000 people crossed sea to reach Yemen last year Updated: Jan-19-16 11:58 am
BERLIN - The U.N. refugee agency says more than 92,000 people made the perilous sea crossing from the Horn of Africa to Yemen last year, one of the highest annual totals of the past decade.
- As sanctions are lifted, Iranian foes fear the worst Updated: Jan-17-16 2:41 pm
JERUSALEM - As the nuclear deal with Tehran goes into effect, many Middle Eastern countries fear a newly emboldened Iran, flush with cash and international recognition, will grow more aggressive with what they see as meddling in conflicts across the region.
- Fewer than 100 Guantanamo prisoners left as 10 leave to Oman Updated: Jan-14-16 7:27 pm
MIAMI - Ten prisoners from Yemen who were held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been released and sent to the Middle Eastern nation of Oman for resettlement, officials said Thursday, portraying it as a significant milestone in the long-stalled effort to shutter the detention center.
- Egypt renews combat deployment in Red Sea, Gulf for a year Updated: Jan-14-16 1:08 pm
CAIRO - Egypt on Thursday renewed for another year its "combat" military deployment in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf regions, according to an official statement.
- UN: Resumption of Yemen peace talks unlikely before Jan. 20 Updated: Jan-12-16 11:06 am
SANAA, Yemen - The resumption of Yemen peace talks won't take place this week as originally hoped, following renewed fighting and air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition battling Shiite Houthi rebels, a U.N. spokesman said Tuesday.
- Foreign secretary: UK helping Saudi-led Yemen campaign Updated: Jan-12-16 9:41 am
LONDON - British troops are helping identify targets for a Saudi-led military campaign in Yemen and haven't found any "deliberate" breaches of humanitarian law, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Tuesday.
- Al-Qaida threatens Saudis, US over execution of militants Updated: Jan-11-16 9:04 am
CAIRO - The expert bomb-maker from al-Qaida's Yemeni branch has threatened Saudi Arabia and the United States, vowing revenge for the Saudi execution of several militants earlier this month in an audio recording released Monday.
- Vietnamese man pleads guilty in NYC to terrorism charges Updated: Jan-08-16 6:14 pm
NEW YORK - A Vietnamese man pleaded guilty to terrorism charges Friday, just weeks before a scheduled trial, agreeing not to challenge any prison sentence between 30 and 50 years.
- Iran holds mass protests against Saudi Arabia amid tensions Updated: Jan-08-16 2:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians held mass protests on Friday across the Islamic Republic, angered by Saudi Arabia's execution of a Shiite cleric that has enflamed regional tensions between the Mideast rivals.