- Gunmen kill policeman in Libya's Benghazi Updated: Dec-09-13 7:30 am
- New protests at Egypt's Al-Azhar university Updated: Dec-08-13 3:43 pm
- Egypt satirist says show's suspension wasn't nice Updated: Dec-05-13 12:07 am
- Egypt to settle $1.5 billion owned to oil firms Updated: Dec-04-13 11:38 am
- Egypt's antiquities fall victim to political chaos Updated: Dec-04-13 11:01 am
- Egypt's antiquities fall victim to political chaos Updated: Dec-04-13 10:03 am
- AP PHOTOS: Egypt museum hurt by political turmoil Updated: Dec-04-13 4:14 am
- Egypt's best known satirical poet dies at 84 Updated: Dec-03-13 1:47 pm
- Egypt: Morsi's links to jihadists probed Updated: Dec-03-13 2:36 am
- Al-Qaida's American spokesman accuses US of piracy Updated: Dec-01-13 8:50 am
- Hamas cancels anniversary rally over economic woes Updated: Dec-01-13 7:54 am
- A sinister night for 3 women in Egypt protest wave Updated: Nov-28-13 2:43 pm
- Missing German-Egyptian author resurfaces in Cairo Updated: Nov-27-13 4:31 am
- Treasures: Candlestick likely a reproduction of Mottahedeh... Updated: Nov-25-13 12:20 pm
- Colorado woman awarded Rhodes scholarship Updated: Nov-24-13 8:43 pm
- Winners and losers in Iran's nuclear deal Updated: Nov-24-13 11:20 am
- Egypt expels Turkish ambassador, scales back ties Updated: Nov-23-13 1:47 pm
- Detained Syrian refugees in Egypt on hunger strike Updated: Nov-23-13 1:23 pm
- Iraqi Shiite group claims shelling Saudi border Updated: Nov-22-13 8:04 am
- Egypt is in official mourning as misery piles up Updated: Nov-22-13 2:07 am
- Kerry: Muslim Brotherhood 'stole' Egypt revolution Updated: Nov-20-13 5:05 pm
- Israel, Gulf in 'strange alliance' against Iran Updated: Nov-20-13 1:32 pm
- Ghana through to World Cup, Egypt misses out Updated: Nov-19-13 3:19 pm
- Ghana reaches 3rd straight World Cup Updated: Nov-19-13 2:06 pm
- Memorial at Egypt's Tahrir Square sparks protest Updated: Nov-18-13 10:55 am
TRIPOLI, Egypt - A hospital official in the Libyan city of Benghazi says unknown gunmen have shot dead a policeman.
CAIRO - Egyptian police fired tear gas Sunday in an attempt to disperse supporters of the country's ousted Islamist president protesting at the dormitories of an Islamic university in Cairo.
CAIRO - Popular Egyptian satirist Bassem Youssef said Wednesday that he'll take the military and the government at their word that they were not behind the decision to take his weekly television program off the air, but he said it still doesn't make them look "very nice."
CAIRO - Egypt is committed to pay nearly a quarter of the total arrears it owes foreign oil companies and increase economic growth to 3.5 percent by the end of the fiscal year, in a bid to restore investor confidence in an economy damaged by nearly three years of unrest, the country's interim prime minister said Wednesday.
CAIRO - The home of Egypt's mummies and King Tutankhamun's treasures is trying to make the best out of the worst times of political turmoil. But the Egyptian Museum is taking a hammering on multiple levels, from riots on its doorstep to funding so meager it can't keep up paper clip supplies for its staff.
CAIRO - The century-old home of Egypt's mummies and King Tutankhamun's treasures is trying to make the best out of the worst times of political turmoil. But the Egyptian Museum is taking a hammering on multiple levels, from riots on its doorstep to funding so meager it can't keep up paper clip supplies for its staff.
CAIRO - Inside the Egyptian Museum, there are 200,000 items showing the splendor of the country's history - and few tourists to see them.
CAIRO - Ahmed Fouad Negm, who died Tuesday at the age of 84, was Egypt's poet of revolution, inspiring protesters from the 1970s through the current wave of uprisings with sharply political verses excoriating the country's leaders in the rich slang of colloquial Arabic.
CAIRO - During his year as president, Egypt's Mohammed Morsi cultivated ties with Islamic radicals, making them a key support for his rule by pardoning dozens of jailed militants, restraining the military from an all-out offensive against jihadis in Sinai and giving their hard-line sheiks a platform to spread their rhetoric.
CAIRO - Al-Qaida's American spokesman says the U.S.'s kidnapping of an al-Qaida suspect from Libya is a crime of piracy, urging Libyans to attack U.S. interests everywhere.
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The Gaza Strip's ruling Hamas movement canceled its upcoming anniversary rally Sunday, saying it was inappropriate to celebrate at a time of deep economic woes in the crowded seaside territory.
CAIRO - The three women are among Egypt's most active democracy campaigners, the faces of its revolution. Through a string of rulers the past three years- autocrat Hosni Mubarak, the military, the Islamists - they have been at the forefront of protests, chronicled police abuses and struggled to limit the power of the military.
BERLIN - Germany's Foreign Office says a German-Egyptian novelist who disappeared in Cairo a few days ago has resurfaced.
Dear Helaine and Joe: I own what might be a vintage or early piece of Mottahedeh "Tobacco Leaf" pattern. It is a 10-inch-tall candlestick with a fluted top. The candlestick's column is flanked by two monkeys - one large one on the left and a smaller one on the right. The pattern is almost identical to the current "Tobacco Leaf" pattern made by Mottahedeh with one exception - the bird is standing on a pink leaf rather than a green one. The only markings on the bottom are three digit numbers. Any information about its origins and worth would be appreciated. Thanks so much, G. D.
DENVER - A Colorado woman who studies Middle Eastern politics is "still in shock" after being named one of the newest Rhodes Scholars.
The political balance sheet from Sunday's nuclear deal between Iran and world powers.
CAIRO - Egypt downgraded diplomatic relations Saturday with Turkey and expelled its ambassador from Cairo, a sharp escalation in tensions between the two countries that mounted after a military coup ousted the country's Islamist president this summer.
CAIRO - A group of Syrian and Palestinian refugees detained in Egypt have gone on a hunger strike to protest spending more than two months of captivity, an activist doctor said Saturday.
CAIRO - An Iraqi Shiite group has claimed responsibility for firing six mortar shells at a region of Saudi Arabia bordering Iraq and Kuwait.
CAIRO - In Egypt, misery just keeps piling on and, fittingly, the nation is officially in mourning.
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday accused Egypt's well-organized Muslim Brotherhood of having "stolen" the revolution that toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - When U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry made another stop in the Middle East this month, he received an expected earful over Washington's outreach to Iran: Don't trust Tehran, tighten sanctions even more, anything short of complete nuclear concessions is a grave mistake.
CAIRO - Ghana qualified for the World Cup on Tuesday with a comfortable 7-3 aggregate win over Egypt in the playoffs, claiming the fourth of five African places available at the finals and continuing the Egyptians' long absence from the top tournament.
CAIRO - Ghana qualified for its third straight World Cup, defeating Egypt on 7-3 aggregate with a 2-1 loss Tuesday that knocked out the Pharaohs and American coach Bob Bradley.
CAIRO - Where tents once sprouted and giant crowds chanted against their rulers, Egypt's interim prime minister on Monday inaugurated a memorial to protesters killed in the country's revolutionary turmoil in Cairo's famed Tahrir Square.