- Messi scores twice, Argentina beats Bolivia 7-0 Updated: Sep-04-15 11:24 pm
HOUSTON - Lionel Messi scored less than a minute after coming on as a substitute and added another goal in Argentina's 7-0 victory over Bolivia on Friday night.
- Canada win its third straight in Olympic qualifier Updated: Sep-04-15 10:08 pm
MEXICO CITY - Minnesota Timberwolves forward Andrew Wiggins scored 19 points to help Canada beat Puerto Rico 112-92 on Friday night for its third straight victory in the Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Argentina official says doors open to Syrian refugees Updated: Sep-04-15 4:02 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's cabinet chief said on Friday that the South American nation is willing to welcome more Syrian refugees fleeing their country's civil war.
- Image of dead child on beach haunts and frustrates the world Updated: Sep-03-15 7:34 pm
The photo of the dead 3-year-old Syrian boy on a Turkish beach is haunting.
- Chile rises in top 10 of FIFA rankings led by Argentina Updated: Sep-03-15 4:29 am
ZURICH - Copa America winner Chile rises two places to No. 8 in the FIFA rankings still led by Argentina.
- Film based on real-life horror breaks records in Argentina Updated: Sep-01-15 12:04 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Arquimides Puccio seemed to neighbors like a pious, conservative and obsessively tidy man. Several times a day, he'd sweep the sidewalk in front of his home in an upper-class Buenos Aires neighborhood.
- Argentine presidential candidate would try to ease divisions Updated: Aug-31-15 7:02 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's leading presidential candidate dismisses claims that he won't remain independent from outgoing President Cristina Fernandez and says he would seek to bridge divisions in this politically polarized South American country.
- Pope Francis a stranger to the US in many ways Updated: Aug-30-15 2:35 pm
NEW YORK - When Pope Francis sets foot on the tarmac at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington on Sept. 22, it won't just be his first time in the United States as pontiff. It will be his first time in the country - ever in his life.
- Money laundering probe in case of Argentine prosecutor Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Argentine judge on Friday authorized a money laundering probe involving the prosecutor who died mysteriously while investigating the bombing of a Jewish center.
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal Updated: Aug-28-15 5:30 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Argentine businessmen who were arrested in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal have been released from prison until an ongoing extradition proceeding to the United States is resolved.
- Argentine mom hopes pope will help get son off death row Updated: Aug-27-15 2:12 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - When Lidia Guerrero met with Pope Francis in Rome last year, the Argentine native told her he knew all about Guerrero's son, who has been on death row in Texas for 19 years.
- Finger pointing in Argentina after police break up protests Updated: Aug-25-15 4:26 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - In a sign of increasing tension ahead of October elections, the top presidential candidates in Argentina and other government officials exchanged accusations on Tuesday after protests over alleged vote fraud in a northern province were broken up with tear gas and rubber bullets.
- Di Maria, Pastore, Biglia, Zabaleta left off Argentina team Updated: Aug-25-15 3:29 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Angel Di Maria and Javier Pastore, teammates at Paris Saint-Germain, have been left off Argentina's national team for friendly matches next month in the United States against Bolivia and Mexico.
- Argentine in wheelchair dances at World Tango Championships Updated: Aug-21-15 6:06 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Gabriela Fernanda Torres strikes a unique pose as she competes with hundreds of other dancers in this year's World Tango Championships in Argentina. The 37-year-old Argentine uses a wheelchair.
- Chinks in Barca's armor found on eve of Spanish opener Updated: Aug-20-15 6:50 am
BARCELONA, Spain - For a team that won it all in spectacular fashion last season, Barcelona begins the Spanish league plagued by doubts few could have imagined three months ago.
- Argentina defender Otamendi joins Man City from Valencia Updated: Aug-20-15 6:20 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City strengthened its defense for the team's bid to regain the Premier League title by signing Argentina center back Nicolas Otamendi from Valencia on Thursday, taking spending this summer close to 100 million pounds ($156 million).
- Pope holds sign calling for dialogue on disputed Falklands Updated: Aug-19-15 5:19 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Pope Francis raised eyebrows in his homeland of Argentina on Wednesday after being photographed in Rome holding a sign advocating for dialogue over the disputed Falkland Islands.
- Iberian flight makes emergency landing in Argentina Updated: Aug-18-15 6:37 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Iberian Airlines flight with 240 people on board has made an emergency landing at Argentina's largest airport because of technical problems after hitting birds.
- Bishop in Paraguay ousted by Pope Francis dies at 69 Updated: Aug-14-15 12:46 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - Rogelio Livieres Plano, a former bishop in Paraguay who was revered by some for building a successful seminary but who was ousted by Pope Francis amid several controversies, has died. He was 69.
- Argentine presidential candidate confronts floods, critics Updated: Aug-13-15 4:46 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's leading presidential candidate returned from Italy on Thursday, cutting short his trip amid growing complaints about his absence during widespread flooding in the province he governs.
- US judge: Argentine assets considered commercial in dispute Updated: Aug-12-15 9:24 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A U.S. federal judge in New York sanctioned Argentina on Wednesday, ruling that he will consider Argentine government assets in the U.S. as commercial property in a long-running dispute over the South American nation's debt.
- Argentina officials try damage control after flooding Updated: Aug-12-15 5:09 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's government tried to ease public anger Wednesday over flooding that forced an estimated 11,000 people to flee their homes in Buenos Aires province.
- Argentine president's successor candidate wins primaries Updated: Aug-10-15 3:01 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - President Cristina Fernandez's chosen successor easily won Argentina's open primaries, but the results Monday underscored that October's election is still up for grabs and voters remain deeply divided about who could best tackle the country's myriad economic problems.
- Italy seizes cocaine stashed under squid from Argentina Updated: Aug-10-15 7:10 am
ROME - Italian customs police have seized 49 kilograms (108 pounds) of pure cocaine hidden in a container transporting frozen totani, a kind of squid, on a cargo ship from Argentina.
- Argentine judge orders body of racing star Fangio exhumed Updated: Aug-08-15 2:17 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The body of the late Formula 1 star Juan Manuel Fangio has been exhumed by orders of an Argentina judge for testing to determine paternity claims brought by two men who believe they are his sons.