- North Korean ex-POWs hope to return home before they die Updated: May-30-15 3:16 am
SEOUL, South Korea - After the Korean War ended in 1953, Kim Myeong Bok and 75 other North Korean prisoners of war detained in South Korea opted to live abroad rather than risk hostile welcomes in either half of their homeland. Now he wants to come home, though he may find little more than rejection and suspicion.
- Panama holds Argentina to draw at Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-30-15 2:47 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Argentina captain Angel Correa scored both his team's goals as the tournament favorites were held to a 2-2 draw by Panama on Saturday in their opening match at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
- FIFA scandal reverberating across soccer-crazy South America Updated: May-29-15 4:59 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Within hours of the FIFA scandal breaking, Sergio Jadue, the president of Chile's soccer federation, was declaring his innocence even though he wasn't formally accused of anything.
- New stars likely to be found at Under-20 World Cup in NZ Updated: May-29-15 1:29 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A world away from the turmoil of corruption and political infighting plaguing soccer, there will be a reminder this weekend of what is best about the game - the talent showcase of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Need a favorite? Can't go wrong with Argentina, Brazil Updated: May-28-15 9:45 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - If you're trying to pick a winner in the Under-20 World Cup, you may not need to look much further than Latin America.
- 5 Players to watch at the Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 12:57 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Five players to watch at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, which kicks off Saturday in New Zealand:
- Things to know about the Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 3:24 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The under-20 World Cup kicks off Saturday in New Zealand and will likely feature some of the stars of the future. Here's some things to know:
- US Department of Justice statement on FIFA corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 6:22 am
- Player dies in second-division match in Argentina Updated: May-24-15 8:30 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Cristian Gomez, a player with Argentine club Atletico Parana, died on Sunday after collapsing during a second-division match.
- Boca slumps to 3-0 playing in empty La Bombonera stadium Updated: May-24-15 8:14 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Boca Juniors slumped to a 3-0 loss Sunday against mid-table Aldosivi, playing in their La Bombonera stadium without fans as part of a punishment for fan violence in a recent Copa Libertadores match.
- SAmerican soccer officials still get heat for Boca mayhem Updated: May-22-15 6:35 pm
More than a week afterward, officials at Boca Juniors still believe the club was punished too harshly for the mayhem its fans caused in the Copa Libertadores round-of-16 match against bitter rival River Plate.
- Argentina to play Mexico in Sept 8 exhibition in Dallas area Updated: May-21-15 12:09 pm
NEW YORK - Mexico's national team will play Argentina on Sept. 8 in an exhibition soccer game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
- Argentine judges blasted for another sex abuse ruling Updated: May-20-15 5:40 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Argentine judges who have come under fire for sharply reducing the sentence of a child abuser were already under scrutiny for easing the sentence of a pastor convicted of abusing two teenage girls, arguing their poverty made them susceptible to sex at an early age.
- Khamenei's adviser dismisses Iran role in Argentina bombing Updated: May-19-15 12:19 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An adviser to Iran's supreme leader is dismissing accusations that he masterminded Argentina's worst terrorist attack and says that he and the Islamic Republic are innocent.
- Frustration with Latin America's left on the rise Updated: May-18-15 7:38 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's socialist government is struggling to put food on the shelves amid runaway inflation. Brazil's president is facing calls for impeachment. And even Cuba's communist government, an iconic touchstone for generations of leftists, is embracing closer ties with the U.S.
- Boca Juniors appeals Copa Libertadores punishment Updated: May-18-15 1:39 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Boca Juniors has appealed the punishment handed out by South America's football confederation, saying the club itself and the players didn't do anything to cause the interruption of its Copa Libertadores match against Argentine rival River Plate last week.
- Boca kicked out of South America tournament over fan attack Updated: May-17-15 1:51 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Boca Juniors says it will appeal its ouster from the Copa Libertadores competition as punishment for fans spraying a caustic substance on a rival team in a tournament game.
- Match suspended after River players hit with eye irritant Updated: May-15-15 12:30 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A Copa Libertadores match between bitter Argentine rivals Boca Juniors and River Plate was suspended Thursday after River Plate players were sprayed with a substance that seemed to affect their vision and irritated their eyes.
- Argentina midwives bare breasts to defend home births Updated: May-14-15 4:38 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Midwives in Argentina have bared their breasts to protest government plans to restrict home births.
- Weekend soccer in Argentina called off after player's death Updated: May-14-15 12:43 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - All professional soccer matches in Argentina this weekend have been called off out of respect for a fourth-division player who died on Thursday after fracturing his skull more than a week ago.
- David Gelb returns to food with 'Chef's Table' on Netflix Updated: May-13-15 5:17 pm
NEW YORK - Filmmaker David Gelb, who directed the delectable "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," has landed back in the foodie world with a Netflix series covering the lives and cuisines of six top chefs.
- Argentina Supreme Court sides with elderly judge Updated: May-13-15 4:46 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's Supreme Court judges are backing a 97-year-old fellow justice amid government claims he is physically and mentally incapable of remaining in his post.
- Crew, defender Hernan Grana mutually agree to part ways Updated: May-12-15 4:51 pm
- Argentina criticizes holdout funds for embassy asset freeze Updated: May-08-15 5:25 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina is sharply criticizing a group of investment funds in the U.S. for freezing assets in the South American country's embassy in Belgium.
- Argentine medical teams debate death of late prosecutor Updated: May-06-15 6:42 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two medical teams are meeting in Argentina's capital in an extraordinary session aimed at concluding whether the head prosecutor investigating the country's worst terrorist attack killed himself or was slain by another person.