- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- Argentines teach tango inside mental hospital Updated: Dec-06-13 12:38 am
- Spain suspects in torture case fight extradition Updated: Dec-05-13 9:06 am
- Looting ends as Argentine police strike resolved Updated: Dec-04-13 3:24 pm
- Pope's call for church to be one of action draws raves Updated: Dec-04-13 3:18 pm
- Argentina grapples with its most polluted river Updated: Dec-04-13 10:15 am
- Spurs, Timberwolves to play in Mexico City Updated: Dec-03-13 10:14 pm
- Costa Rica closes probe into 1984 bombing Updated: Dec-02-13 7:41 pm
- How Switzerland joined the World Cup seeded elite Updated: Dec-02-13 12:24 pm
- How Switzerland joined the World Cup seeded elite Updated: Dec-02-13 8:32 am
- San Lorenzo stumbles but still title favorite Updated: Dec-01-13 6:56 pm
- Cyr: China's power grab prompts U.S. bomber flight Updated: Nov-29-13 10:46 am
- Clashes outside Monsanto plant in Argentina Updated: Nov-28-13 4:11 pm
- Messi making good recovery from injury Updated: Nov-28-13 8:41 am
- Repsol agrees to negotiate deal with Argentina Updated: Nov-27-13 7:16 pm
- Deal in principle reached over Repsol-YPF stake Updated: Nov-25-13 7:32 pm
- Magnitude-7.0 earthquake strikes South Atlantic Updated: Nov-25-13 4:43 am
- Suspect in Fla. slayings extradited from Argentina Updated: Nov-24-13 3:05 am
- JFK 50th: Nation pauses to remember lost president Updated: Nov-22-13 12:44 pm
- A rabbi whose good friend became the pope Updated: Nov-21-13 10:20 am
- Argentina president: We'll expand economic model Updated: Nov-20-13 9:17 pm
- Column: Hold the hype on the World Cup Updated: Nov-20-13 12:14 pm
- Argentina's feared Commerce Secretary Moreno quits Updated: Nov-19-13 8:07 pm
- Soccer club president quits after players strike Updated: Nov-19-13 4:36 pm
- Argentina tops Bosnia 2-0 Updated: Nov-18-13 10:57 pm
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - You can hear the "All of us are crazy for tango" program before you can see it: Just follow the orchestra's plaintive chords through the labyrinthine passageways of the Hospital Borda.
MADRID - Two former Spanish police officers accused of torturing people during the country's Franco dictatorship said Thursday they will fight extradition to Argentina, where a judge acting on the principle of universal jurisdiction has issued warrants for their arrests.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A sit-in by police seeking pay raises in Argentina's second-largest city prompted hours of looting, robberies, injuries and vigilante mobs trying to protect their neighborhoods before the provincial government agreed to the officers' demands and peace returned to the streets Wednesday. Three deaths were reported amid the violence in Cordoba and a copycat effort to loot a store outside the nation's capital.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - It's hard to wrestle with the crucial moral and cultural issues in modern Argentina without getting Catholic and Protestant leaders into the same room.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The picturesque La Boca district draws hordes of tourists to stroll its narrow streets lined with colorful buildings and eat at outdoor restaurants. Now it has a new, unwanted claim to fame: The Riachuelo river flowing through the neighborhood has been named one of the planet's 10 dirtiest places.
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica - An investigation of the 1984 bombing that killed three journalists and four Nicaraguan rebels at a news conference has been closed after officials determined the only suspect died more than two decades ago, Costa Rica's attorney general said Monday.
GENEVA - There is one certainty among many possibilities offered by the World Cup draw Friday: Most teams want to be in Switzerland's group.
GENEVA - There is one certainty among many possibilities offered by the World Cup draw on Friday: Most teams want to be in Switzerland's group.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - San Lorenzo gave away a chance to win the Argentine first-division on Sunday, settling for a 0-0 draw at home against Estudiantes.
China has made an ominous move in claiming sovereignty over the air, and the Obama administration has appropriately responded with B-52 bombers.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentine union members on Thursday clashed with environmentalists protesting the construction of a plant by U.S.-based seed giant Monsanto.
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says Lionel Messi's recovery from a hamstring injury is progressing positively.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Repsol said Wednesday its board has approved negotiations for terms of payment by Argentina to compensate the Spanish energy giant for last year's expropriation of its YPF division and its vast holdings of unconventional oil and gas fields.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's government said Monday it has reached an agreement in principle to compensate Spain's Repsol for last year's 51 percent expropriation of the YPF energy company.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude-7.0 earthquake has struck in the South Atlantic, southwest of the disputed Falkland Islands.
MIAMI - A man wanted in the killings of his ex-wife and her stepfather in a 2003 Miami double slaying has been extradited from Argentina to face the charges.
DALLAS - Fifty years after John F. Kennedy fell victim to an assassin's bullet while visiting Texas with his wife, people at home and abroad paused Friday to remember the 35th president of the United States. Collected here are memories of the slain president, details from the day of his death and live updates from the memorial service at Dealey Plaza in Dallas.
NEW YORK - It was September, not an easy time for a religious Jew to be traveling. The Jewish month of Tishrei was ending with its marathon of holy days. Kosher wine would be needed. There were Sabbath blessings to recite. Fortunately, Rabbi Abraham Skorka had a friend with the run of a hotel who arranged for kosher meals and said "amen" to the rabbi's prayers.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentine President Cristina Fernandez said Wednesday that she's going to deepen her government's left-leaning economic program.
PARIS - Even though it comes around comet-like just once every four years, or perhaps precisely because of that, the World Cup's grip on the planet's imagination remains impressive. French fans' delirious chants of "We're going to Brazil!" after their team dug deep to defeat Ukraine in the playoffs and Cristiano Ronaldo's joy at his hat trick that qualified Portugal showed how much this most global of sports tournaments means to nations and people alike.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's feared commerce secretary quit Tuesday, a day after a Cabinet reshuffle gave others more power in the inner circle of President Cristina Fernandez.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The president of a first-division Argentine soccer club resigned Tuesday, a day after players went on strike and refused to play a game because they had not been paid.
ST. LOUIS - Sergio Aguero scored twice and got the lone yellow card for Argentina, which frustrated a partisan crowd in a 2-0 exhibition victory over Bosnia on Monday night.