- Ireland captain O'Connell out of World Cup, test career over Updated: Oct-13-15 4:07 pm
Ireland fears were confirmed at the Rugby World Cup on Tuesday when captain Paul O'Connell's tournament and international career were ended because of a hamstring injury and flanker Sean O'Brien was suspended from the quarterfinal against Argentina.
- Debt spat thorny issue for Argentine presidential candidates Updated: Oct-12-15 12:03 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Like a dark cloud, the bitter fight between Argentina and a group of holdout creditors in the U.S. has hung over South America's second largest economy for years, preventing the country from accessing international credit markets.
- Argentina finishes off pool stage with 64-19 win vs Namibia Updated: Oct-11-15 11:07 am
LEICESTER, England - Argentina concluded Pool C with a nine-try, 64-19 win over Namibia on Sunday in a contest that served more or less as an opposed training run for the Pumas ahead of the Rugby World Cup quarterfinals.
- Argentina forward Aguero will miss next World Cup qualifier Updated: Oct-09-15 3:36 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Sergio Aguero will miss Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay next week with a left-leg injury.
- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- Argentine government: ex-spy chief went to US in February Updated: Oct-07-15 3:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The Argentine government says a former spymaster it wants to question in the mysterious death of prosecutor traveled to the United States on an Italian passport.
- Vatican cricket team to play Muslim, Argentine slum clubs Updated: Oct-01-15 3:07 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is expanding the reach of its cricket club this season, hosting a Muslim team from Yorkshire and a club from the same Buenos Aires slum where Jorge Mario Bergoglio ministered before becoming Pope Francis.
- Argentina intensifies effort to get ex-spy chief, blasts US Updated: Sep-30-15 8:44 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina on Wednesday intensified efforts to track down a former spy chief who reportedly has taken refuge in Miami, with top government officials saying they plan to summon the American ambassador and accusing U.S. authorities of stonewalling.
- Ex-Siemens financial chief pleads guilty in $100M bribery Updated: Sep-30-15 6:17 pm
NEW YORK - The former chief financial officer for Siemens Argentina has pleaded guilty to conspiring to pay $100 million in bribes to senior Argentine government officials.
- Argentine voters focused on economy, not corruption Updated: Sep-28-15 10:29 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The corruption allegations against several top government officials are stunning: The convicted killer of three men alleges that the Cabinet chief ordered the hit, the vice president is being tried for bribery and authorities are investigating a possible money laundering scheme at a luxury hotel owned by President Cristina Fernandez.
- Barcelona's Messi tears knee ligament, out 7-8 weeks Updated: Sep-26-15 5:09 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona faces two long months without Lionel Messi after its star forward tore a ligament in his left knee during the defending champion's Spanish league match against Las Palmas on Saturday.
- Pope asked to circle Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island Updated: Sep-26-15 1:26 pm
NEW YORK - Pope Francis asked to circle the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on his way out of New York, becoming emotional as the helicopter carried him over the sights that greeted millions of immigrants to America, Cardinal Timothy Dolan said.
- US beats Argentina to win men's volleyball World Cup Updated: Sep-23-15 10:14 am
TOKYO - The United States won its first men's volleyball World Cup in 30 years on Wednesday with a 25-20, 25-21, 17-25, 25-20 win over Argentina.
- Argentina suspends some Barrick operations after spill Updated: Sep-22-15 6:00 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Argentine judge investigating a cyanide spill at Barrick Gold's Veladero mine has temporarily suspended some operations by the world's largest gold mining company until the cause can be determined.
- Murray sends Britain into 1st Davis Cup final in 37 years Updated: Sep-20-15 2:08 pm
GLASGOW, Scotland - Andy Murray sent Britain into its first Davis Cup final in 37 years on Sunday, securing victory over Australia with a straight-set win over Bernard Tomic.
- Argentina takes 2-1 lead over Belgium in Davis Cup semifinal Updated: Sep-19-15 4:24 pm
BRUSSELS - Leonardo Mayer and Carlos Berlocq gave Argentina a 2-1 lead over Belgium in their Davis Cup semifinal Saturday after a tense doubles match against Steve Darcis and Ruben Bemelmans that lasted four hours.
- Former Argentine soldiers see justice in declassified files Updated: Sep-18-15 4:06 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Former Argentine soldier Silvio Katz says he doesn't recall how long his hands and feet were tied while he was stuck in the mud, partially naked in freezing temperatures as members of his battalion were forced to urinate on him.
- Chile confronts major quake with fortified buildings, alerts Updated: Sep-17-15 10:02 pm
COQUIMBO, Chile - Parts of this port city were a disaster zone Thursday after an 8.3-magnitude quake hit off the coast, killing at least 12 people and likely causing billions in damage. Overturned cars and splintered boats sat in mud next to furniture, toppled adobe homes and fishing nets tangled in trees.
- Test your knowledge of all things papal with an AP Quiz Updated: Sep-17-15 3:38 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis embarks Saturday on a 10-day trip to Cuba and the United States. Test your knowledge about all things papal with this quiz. Answers are at the end.
- Gov't outraged as court orders new election in Argentina Updated: Sep-17-15 3:11 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A court has annulled a gubernatorial election in a stronghold of Argentina's governing party, outraging officials of President Cristina Fernandez's administration and giving a boost to opponents ahead of the Oct. 25 presidential contest.
- US appeals court hands Argentina a victory in bond dispute Updated: Sep-16-15 12:46 pm
NEW YORK - A federal appeals court handed Argentina a victory Wednesday in its quest to relieve itself of the pressures of debt owed to American hedge funds and others, saying a judge went too far by letting some bondholders demand payment without proving how much they are entitled to be paid.
- Argentina accuses US fund in Aerolineas Argentinas dispute Updated: Sep-14-15 4:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Prosecutors in Argentina brought a local criminal complaint of fraud on Monday against a U.S. litigation fund group and a Spanish company that managed the South American country's flagship airlines.
- Boca defeats River Plate 1-0 in Superclasico in Buenos Aires Updated: Sep-13-15 9:39 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Nicolas Lodeiro's first-half goal lifted Boca Juniors to a 1-0 victory at bitter Buenos Aires rival River Plate on Sunday.