- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 8:02 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- Palmeiras routs rival Sao Paulo 4-0 in Brazilian league Updated: Jun-28-15 8:12 pm
SAO PAULO - Palmeiras scored twice in each half to beat Sao Paulo 4-0 on Sunday and keep its rival from taking over the Brazilian league lead.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- Brazil's finance minister suffers pulmonary embolism Updated: Jun-27-15 1:50 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil's Finance Ministry says Minister Joaquim Levy suffered a pulmonary embolism Friday night but was recovering and was expected to fly New York to accompany President Dilma Rousseff on her official visit to the United States.
- Brazil's softball team crowdfunding to prepare for Toronto Updated: Jun-26-15 2:39 pm
ARUJA, Brazil - Forget about batting practice or fielding drills. Brazil's softball team is spending its time ahead of the Pan American Games hunting for money.
- Judge issues restraining order in fight over giant emerald Updated: Jun-26-15 12:10 am
LOS ANGELES - The fight over ownership of a giant 752-pound emerald isn't over.
- Brazil's unemployment rates rises Updated: Jun-25-15 1:22 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil's government says unemployment continues rising in Latin America's largest country.
- Host Chile beats Uruguay to reach Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-25-15 1:33 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile's hopes of winning its home Copa America sharply improved with a 1-0 win over defending champion Uruguay on Wednesday.
- Rugby takes small step to Olympics; bigger jump to get fans Updated: Jun-24-15 4:49 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Returning to the Olympics is one step for rugby. But grabbing the limelight is a bigger jump, particularly in countries like Brazil where the sport has little following.
- Flamingo in Brazilian zoo gets artificial leg Updated: Jun-24-15 4:20 pm
SOROCABA, Brazil - A pink flamingo in Brazil has gotten a new leg to stand on - an artificial one.
- Brazil striker Firmino joins Liverpool from Hoffenheim Updated: Jun-24-15 9:20 am
LIVERPOOL, England - Brazil forward Roberto Firmino joined Liverpool from German side Hoffenheim on Wednesday for a reported fee of 29 million pounds ($45.8 million) that would make him the second most expensive player in the English club's history.
- New TAP Air Portugal owners vow expansion in US, Brazil Updated: Jun-24-15 6:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - TAP Air Portugal's new owners said Wednesday they intend to expand operations to 10 more U.S. destinations and eight more in Brazil, while bringing more passengers from those countries into Europe.
- Rivaldo ends retirement to play for his own team in Brazil Updated: Jun-23-15 5:09 pm
SAO PAULO - Former star Rivaldo says he is ending his retirement and will start training again with Mogi Mirim, a second division team in the Brazilian league where he is the club president.
- Neymar denies insulting referee after Copa America game Updated: Jun-23-15 12:08 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Brazil captain Neymar has denied insulting a referee after being sent off in the Copa America game against Colombia, calling the incident a mix-up.
- Brazil prosecutors seek US help in Petrobras graft probe Updated: Jun-22-15 7:22 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's prosecutors investigating a big kickback scandal at state-run oil company Petrobras said Monday that they are asking U.S. authorities for help in building their case.
- Brazil basketball must pay dues for automatic Olympic spots Updated: Jun-22-15 3:09 pm
NEW YORK - Basketball's governing body says Brazil must settle "significant outstanding dues" to receive automatic qualification into the 2016 Olympics.
- Messi vs. James again - now in Copa America quarterfinals Updated: Jun-22-15 2:36 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi and James Rodriguez are about to meet again. They've left their clubs behind - Barcelona and Real Madrid - and this time Messi is wearing Argentina's blue and white and Rodriguez the red, blue and yellow of Colombia.
- Neymar out of Copa America after Brazil accepts his ban Updated: Jun-22-15 10:17 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Neymar will play no further part in the Copa America after Brazil chose to accept the four-match suspension handed to its captain and star player following his red card in the group stage.
- Without Neymar, Brazil beats Venezuela 2-1 to reach last 8 Updated: Jun-21-15 10:08 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Playing without suspended star Neymar, Brazil defeated Venezuela 2-1 Sunday in its final group game to reach the Copa America quarterfinals.
- Brazil takes top 3 spots at women's St. Pete Grand Slam Updated: Jun-21-15 6:41 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Agatha Bednarczuk and Barbara Seixas beat Juliana Felisberta and Maria Antonelli in an all-Brazil final of the $800,000 St. Pete Grand Slam on Sunday, taking the gold medal in the first Olympic qualifier in the U.S. for the Rio Games.
- Approval rating for Brazil's president falls to 10 percent Updated: Jun-21-15 5:05 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The approval rating of Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has fallen to a level not seen in the more than two decades since a president was impeached for corruption, her hit coming amid an economic crunch and a huge corruption scandal at the state energy company.
- Serbia beats Brazil 2-1 in Under-20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-20-15 3:52 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Nemanja Maksimovic scored in the 117th minute to give Serbia a surprise 2-1 win over Brazil on Saturday in the final of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Brazil's Neymar banned for rest of Copa America Updated: Jun-19-15 10:57 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Brazilian star Neymar was banned for the rest of the Copa America on Friday, stripping the tournament of one of its biggest stars.