- Argentina's big unions join to protest layoffs, inflation Updated: Apr-29-16 10:58 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's strongest unions brought thousands of people into the streets Friday to protest high inflation and job cuts in the biggest demonstrations against President Mauricio Macri since he took office in December.
- Brazil's VP says he will not be a candidate in 2018 Updated: Apr-29-16 4:33 pm
SAO PAULO - The man in line to become Brazil's next head of state if President Dilma Rousseff is impeached says he won't run for the presidency in 2018 when Rousseff's term comes to an end.
- Brazil police arrest Colombian drug trafficker Updated: Apr-29-16 3:49 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian police say they have arrested a Colombian man wanted on drug gang charges in his home country and in the U.S.
- Rio Olympic flame visits UN office in Geneva Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 pm
GENEVA - The Olympic flame for the Rio de Janeiro Games came to the United Nations in Geneva on Friday, where officials said a team of refugee athletes will bring a message of hope for refugees around the world.
- Transgender civil servants in Brazil can use chosen name Updated: Apr-28-16 6:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian transgender and transsexual civil servants will now be able to use their chosen names while on the job.
- Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.
- Dortmund captain and defender Hummels wants Bayern move Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
DORTMUND, Germany - Borussia Dortmund captain and central defender Mats Hummels has asked to be released from his contract so that he can move to Bundesliga rival Bayern Munich next season.
- Rio gets Olympic flame 100 days before games Updated: Apr-27-16 2:31 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Olympic flame was handed to organizers of the Rio de Janeiro Games in Athens on Wednesday, 100 days before the opening ceremony in Brazil.
- Rio gets 3 holidays during Olympics, traffic fines loom Updated: Apr-27-16 2:16 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Residents of Rio de Janeiro will get three new holidays during the Olympics as part of a plan to keep people off the roads and limit the city's suffocating traffic.
- US Olympians get nautical look for Rio's closing ceremony Updated: Apr-27-16 1:34 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Olympic athletes from the United States will look ready to sail back home when they attend the closing ceremony at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- South Korea unveils Zika-proof Olympic uniforms Updated: Apr-27-16 1:19 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's Olympic committee on Wednesday unveiled Zika-proof uniforms complete with mosquito repellent it says will help protect athletes from the virus at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Best and worst of times: Rio Olympic countdown hits 100 days Updated: Apr-26-16 7:30 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Two years ago, the Australian IOC member John Coates called the preparations for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics "the worst" in recent memory.
- If they build a golf course, will they come to Olympics? Updated: Apr-26-16 6:26 pm
Building the new golf course in Rio de Janeiro in time for the Olympics once was considered the biggest obstacle.
- Olympic honor for refugees: Rio flame stops at UN camp Updated: Apr-26-16 1:08 pm
ATHENS, Greece - If they had a home, refugees would belong to the world's 24th most populous nation, just behind Italy. On Tuesday, there were honored as members of the Olympic family.
- Rio mayor: Collapsed bike lane to be rebuilt by Olympics Updated: Apr-25-16 3:17 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes has pledged to rebuild in time for the Aug. 5-21 Olympics a brand new bike lane that killed two people when it collapsed last week.
- Official wary of athletes staying outside Olympic village Updated: Apr-25-16 2:26 pm
MADRID - Extra security measures may be needed to protect some athletes staying outside of the Olympic Village during the Rio de Janeiro Games, one of Brazil's top security officials said Monday.
- US men's basketball set for 5-game pre-Olympic schedule Updated: Apr-25-16 12:36 pm
The U.S. Olympic men's basketball team will face Argentina and three other opponents during a five-game, five-city exhibition tour leading up to the Summer Games.
- Report: Russia says athletes have 'moral right' to be in Rio Updated: Apr-23-16 5:10 am
BERLIN - Russia's sports minister is arguing in an interview with a German magazine that his country's athletes have a "moral right" to take part in the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Brazil president will appeal to trade blocs over impeachment Updated: Apr-22-16 9:44 pm
NEW YORK - Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said Friday she will appeal to South American trade blocs if she is removed from office, blasting the push to impeach her as a coup and a naked attempt by Brazil's elite to snatch power back from her Worker's Party.
- Court accepts charges against Brazil banker Joseph Safra Updated: Apr-22-16 4:24 pm
SAO PAULO - A Brazilian federal court has accepted charges filed by prosecutors against banking tycoon Joseph Safra for allegedly agreeing to pay more than $4 million in bribes to tax auditors to reduce or annul fines on unpaid taxes.
- Legacy of Rio Olympics: Bike lane crashes into the sea Updated: Apr-22-16 3:06 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - At the flame-lighting in the ruins of Ancient Olympia, Brazil's sport minister Ricardo Leyser tried to assure the world about the troubled Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Flame for Rio Olympics is lit at birthplace of ancient Games Updated: Apr-21-16 6:17 am
ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece - The Olympic flame has been kindled at the birthplace of the ancient games in Greece, heralding the start of a 15-week journey leading to the Aug. 5 opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro.
- Former Olympic champion Cielo misses individual spot at Rio Updated: Apr-20-16 11:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Cesar Cielo, Brazil's most successful and best-known swimmer, has failed to automatically qualify for an individual event at this year's Rio Olympics.
- US congressman: Ohio fugitive arrested in her native Brazil Updated: Apr-20-16 7:25 pm
WASHINGTON - A U.S. congressman says a woman suspected of killing her husband in Ohio and fleeing to Brazil has been arrested by authorities there.
- Neymar to play for Brazil at Rio Olympics, not Copa America Updated: Apr-20-16 7:01 pm
MADRID - Neymar will play for Brazil at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics but will skip the Copa America, Barcelona said Wednesday.