- A 200-400 sprint double at Olympics could be waiting Felix Updated: Aug-30-15 11:35 am
BEIJING - If Allyson Felix feels tired now, just wait until next year.
- Brazil defeats US men 3-1 in the USA Volleyball Cup Updated: Aug-30-15 1:25 am
IRVINE, California - Ricardo Lucarelli's ace for match point gave top-ranked Brazil a 3-1 victory over the United States on Saturday night in the final match of the USA Volleyball Cup.
- Activist: thousands of fish dead near Olympic Park in Brazil Updated: Aug-29-15 3:35 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian environmentalist and biologist Mario Moscatelli says sewage has killed at least a ton of fish in a lagoon next to the Olympic Park that will host many Rio 2016 events.
- Brazil recession: GDP plunges 1.9 percent in second quarter Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The bottom seems to have fallen out of Brazil's economy, with the government reporting Friday that the gross domestic product plunged 1.9 percent in the second quarter alone, once again throwing the nation into a technical recession.
- Brazil's Rousseff faces growing impeachment threat Updated: Aug-28-15 9:57 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - If the worst economic crisis in a decade, a massive corruption scandal centered on her ruling party and approval ratings in the single digits weren't rough enough for Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, she's now faced with an angry rival who controls the possibility of impeachment proceedings against her.
- US men claim first USA Volleyball Cup win over Brazil Updated: Aug-27-15 1:12 am
LOS ANGELES - Taylor Sander's kill for match point sealed a 3-2 victory for the United States over top-ranked Brazil in the USA Volleyball Cup on Wednesday night.
- Minneapolis building to get giant mural featuring Bob Dylan Updated: Aug-26-15 4:16 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A team of artists is working on a giant mural featuring a portrait of musician Bob Dylan on a building in downtown Minneapolis.
- Money dealer: Brazil president knew of kickback scheme Updated: Aug-25-15 7:20 pm
SAO PAULO - A convicted black market money dealer who turned state's evidence told lawmakers on Tuesday that Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and her predecessor, former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, knew of the sprawling corruption kickback scheme that has engulfed state-run oil company Petrobras.
- Brazil's Antunes, Franca win in Long Beach Updated: Aug-23-15 10:50 pm
LONG BEACH, California - Brazil's Talita Antunes and Larissa Franca won their fourth FIVB World Tour event of the season Sunday, beating Americans April Ross and Kerri Walsh Jennings 21-18, 21-16 in the World Series of Beach Volleyball.
- Corinthians stay on top in Brazil with 3-0 win over Cruzeiro Updated: Aug-23-15 8:15 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Vanger Love scored twice to give Corinthians a 3-0 win over Cruzeiro on Sunday to retain the lead in Brazil's top division.
- Sinking currencies point to jitters about emerging economies Updated: Aug-21-15 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The damage spans the globe.
- Leader of Brazil's lower house denies corruption charges Updated: Aug-21-15 5:26 pm
SAO PAULO - The speaker of Brazil's lower house of congress on Friday strongly denied newly filed charges of corruption and said he won't resign from office.
- Brazil Supreme Court debates decriminalization of drugs Updated: Aug-19-15 7:04 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil's Supreme Court on Wednesday began debating a drug case that could lead to the decriminalization of possession for personal use in the South American country.
- Brazilian cowboys take on bulls in unique rodeo Updated: Aug-19-15 12:05 am
SERRITA, Brazil - The men appear on horseback at daybreak, emerging from the thorny thicket of shrubs and small trees that mark the semiarid landscape of the northeastern Brazilian state of Pernambuco.
- World Series of Beach Volleyball returns to California Updated: Aug-18-15 6:06 pm
For Kerri Walsh Jennings, the pursuit of a fourth consecutive Olympic beach volleyball gold medal resumes on her home sand.
- Brazil union federation calls for McDonald's investigation Updated: Aug-18-15 5:14 pm
SAO PAULO - A trade union federation in Brazil says it has asked the Public Prosecutor's Office to investigate the McDonald's franchise holder in Latin America's largest country for allegedly engaging in a series of irregular activities.
- Canada women beat Cuba, clinch Olympic basketball berth Updated: Aug-16-15 10:41 pm
EDMONTON, Alberta - Kia Nurse scored 20 points and Canada beat Cuba 82-66 on Sunday night in the gold-medal game of the FIBA Americas women's basketball championship to clinch a berth in the 2016 Olympics.
- Anti-government protesters take to streets across Brazil Updated: Aug-16-15 6:47 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilians took to the streets of cities and towns across the country Sunday for anti-government protests being watched as a barometer of discontent with the increasingly unpopular President Dilma Rousseff.
- Photo team mugged while covering Rio Olympic test event Updated: Aug-16-15 4:46 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian officials say a team of photographers on contract to Rio de Janeiro's city government were mugged while covering a road cycling test event for next year's Olympics in Rio.
- 19 killed in Sao Paulo shootings; police investigating links Updated: Aug-14-15 3:38 pm
SAO PAULO - At least 19 people were shot to death within the span of about three hours in Brazil's biggest metropolitan area, law enforcement officials said Friday.
- World champs could preview names to watch in Rio Updated: Aug-14-15 12:02 pm
Hard as this is to believe, there was a time when no one knew of Usain Bolt.
- US men's basketball looks ready for Rio after minicamp Updated: Aug-14-15 2:32 am
LAS VEGAS - While many countries are still trying to qualify for the Olympics, the U.S. is already lining up guys to play.
- Australian sailors wary of Rio debris as much as pollution Updated: Aug-13-15 8:32 pm
A 35-person team of Australian sailors, coaches and support crew begin competing in test events this week for next year's Summer Olympics on pollution-plagued Guanabara Bay in Rio de Janeiro, concerned as much about the floating debris that could affect the results of racing as the "horrible" sewage-filled water.
- IOC heaps fulsome praise on Rio's Olympic preparations Updated: Aug-12-15 7:30 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The head of an IOC inspection team said Wednesday she expects Rio de Janeiro to "deliver outstanding Olympic Games" next year, lauding the "Olympic atmosphere and Olympic spirit" in Brazil's showcase city.
- Rural woman march in Brazil in defense of their rights Updated: Aug-12-15 5:35 pm
BRASILIA, Brazil - More than 30,000 rural women took part in a march Wednesday demanding sustainable development, agrarian reform and an end to gender violence and inequality in Brazil.