- Magnitude 6.3 quake strikes Chile, no damage reported Updated: Feb-09-16 9:22 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - A 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck Chile's central region Tuesday evening, shaking buildings as far away as the capital of Santiago. But no damage or injuries were reported and authorities discounted the possibility of a tsunami hitting the country's long coast.
- Peruvian dies after stepping on land mine at Chile border Updated: Feb-08-16 4:34 pm
LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian man was killed when he stepped on a land mine trying to cross the border illegally into Chile, authorities said Monday.
- Zoo workers cruise to Antarctica before penguin center opens Updated: Feb-05-16 6:13 am
ROYAL OAK, Michigan - Eighteen Detroit Zoo employees are on a privately funded cruise to Antarctica this week ahead of the opening of the zoo's new $29.5 million Polk Penguin Conservation Center.
- Correction: Big Snowstorm-Airlines story Updated: Jan-25-16 11:52 am
In a story Jan. 24 about airports returning to service after a blizzard hit the East Coast, The Associated Press, relying on information from Delta Air Lines, erroneously reported that Delta's first flight out of John F. Kennedy International Airport after the blizzard was to Santiago, Chile. The first flight was to Santiago, Dominican Republic.
- British explorer Henry Worsley dies on solo Antarctic trek Updated: Jan-25-16 11:50 am
LONDON - A British adventurer attempting to become the first person to cross the Antarctic alone and unsupported has died after collapsing from exhaustion within miles of his goal.
- Eco-warrior Tompkins' widow to deepen conservation work Updated: Jan-22-16 12:01 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - The widow of American conservationist Doug Tompkins, who died last month while kayaking in South America's Patagonia region, says she'll build on her husband's legacy of protecting threatened ecosystems in Argentina and Chile.
- Sampaoli resigns as Chile national team coach Updated: Jan-20-16 5:39 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Jorge Sampaoli has resigned as Chile's national team coach, departing just six months after his club won the Copa America.
- Chile's Gonzalo Jara leaves Bundesliga club Mainz Updated: Jan-16-16 11:51 am
MAINZ, Germany - Chilean defender Gonzalo Jara is leaving Bundesliga club Mainz.
- FIFA judges explain 7-year ban for 2018-2022 bid inspector Updated: Jan-14-16 6:42 am
ZURICH - The 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid inspector was banned from soccer for seeking several favors for family members, the FIFA ethics committee has said six months after imposing a seven-year sanction.
- FIFA fines 5 countries for anti-gay chants in games Updated: Jan-13-16 11:16 am
ZURICH - FIFA fined Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Uruguay on Wednesday for anti-gay chants by their national team's fans.
- Chilean architect Alejandro Aravena wins Pritzker Prize Updated: Jan-13-16 11:01 am
NEW YORK - The Chilean architect Alejandro Aravena has won the 2016 Pritzker Architecture Prize for work that "epitomizes the revival of a more socially engaged architect."